Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 4016 | 4017 | 4018 | 4019 | 4020 | 4021 | 4022 | 4023 | 4024 | 4025 | 4026 | 4027 | 4028 | 4029 | 4030 | 4031 | 4032 | 4033 | 4034 | 4035 | 4036 | | Last >
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Belintaf] * 1
    #29684550 -

Belintaf said:
Of course, it’ll always be a personal choice — but personally, I wouldn't recommend tap water across the board. And I’d even argue that bottled mineral water isn’t ideal either.

Tap water contains bacteria, including species from the Bacillus or Pseudomonas genera. Depending on the area, bacterial loads in tap water can be higher or lower, which is why it might work relatively well for some while causing issues for others...

For misting, I’m sticking with distilled water.

Hugs :heart:



If someone lives in an area that has that bad of tap water, purchasing distilled water in plastic jugs probably isn’t an option. And tap water is generally treated properly in developed nations, with chlorine usually. That kills the vast majority of bacteria harmful to us “evolved” Earth critters. And most of the chorine is off-gassed rapidly when the water comes out of the tap.

If you can drink it, so can your fungi.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: AstroSporeFiend] * 2
    #29684559 -

Just want to add that in the past, I've misted several cube grows with aquarium water. To see what would happen. Nothing basically. Biofilm in old misters can be problematic. But just a lil' bacchy water...
In Greece, I stayed with people who'd refill their fish tanks with (chlorinated) tap water that stood for a night in large-diameter buckets so the chlorine could gass off. They had fish from the tributaries of the Amazon, the Rio Negro and Orinoco. Those have very low Cl tolerance.

All this to say: tap water would be one of the last things to look at, IME. Unless you live somewhere where lead poisoning and the like occur.


--------------------
Also I tooted churp for being a lowbrow puppet, it's so obvious.
I also added them both to my nazi watchlist in my journal, so we can watch them

-Jean-Luc Picard


Species grown 2025-26
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/29367720#29367720

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Churpee Choozle] * 1
    #29684562 -

I read something about tap water having some minerals that mycelium will benefit from. While distilled is plain, like salad without dressing, boiled chicken or listening to Coldplay.


--------------------
How about the racist, sexist, phobia soup we've all been drowning in because of him? And I'm not just talking about Jesus. I'm talking about all organized religion - exclusive groups created to manage control, a dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope, his followers nothing but addicts who want their hit of bullshit to keep their - their dopamine of ignorance, addicts afraid to believe the truth - that there is no order, there's no power, that all religions are just metastasizing mind worms meant to divide us so it's easier to rule us by the charlatans that want to run us.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: AstroSporeFiend] * 1
    #29684575 -

AstroSporeFiend said:
Belintaf said:
Of course, it’ll always be a personal choice — but personally, I wouldn't recommend tap water across the board. And I’d even argue that bottled mineral water isn’t ideal either.

Tap water contains bacteria, including species from the Bacillus or Pseudomonas genera. Depending on the area, bacterial loads in tap water can be higher or lower, which is why it might work relatively well for some while causing issues for others...

For misting, I’m sticking with distilled water.

Hugs :heart:



If someone lives in an area that has that bad of tap water, purchasing distilled water in plastic jugs probably isn’t an option. And tap water is generally treated properly in developed nations, with chlorine usually. That kills the vast majority of bacteria harmful to us “evolved” Earth critters. And most of the chorine is off-gassed rapidly when the water comes out of the tap.

If you can drink it, so can your fungi.



U ever been to Saginaw trailer park?

I've been to many places in the usa where u drink the water u have cancer in a few years or are dead.

Some really bad stuff gets put in the water that can't be filtered out.

There's stores withen a mile of the place water is accessable in bottles xd if u got money. 
I knew someone who drank beer instead of the water because it was better for them than the water there n lwk it's true 💀 the ones that drank the water didn't last n he's still around
:erictheangel:


--------------------





An enigma some caerulescens n a mono 😎

Edited by bloodssonnew (10/03/26 04:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: bloodssonnew] * 1
    #29684578 -

:seriousthumbsup:


--------------------
The PF Tek is my area.:oldman:

Where all anonymity is lost, there cannot exist a person.

Where one cannot avoid to share, there is God

www.zamnesia.nl
RustyWhyte is Commercial!



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Nichrome] * 1
    #29684583 -

Tap water is more alkaline than distilled water, and the minerals act as a pH-buffer, so the pH doesn’t drop as easily as with distilled water when in contact with CO2. Contaminants like trich like a lower pH, so maybe using tap water has a positive impact on contamination resistance?

Just speculation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: ambigu]
    #29684584 -

For misting fruits I use RO, for all else tap is fine, no chlorine in my water though :strokebeard:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk]
    #29684589 -



cordyceps agars, transfers, 3 days in these agars; the agars in midle have contam? mold or something?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: bloodssonnew]
    #29684603 -

bloodssonnew said:
AstroSporeFiend said:
Belintaf said:
Of course, it’ll always be a personal choice — but personally, I wouldn't recommend tap water across the board. And I’d even argue that bottled mineral water isn’t ideal either.

Tap water contains bacteria, including species from the Bacillus or Pseudomonas genera. Depending on the area, bacterial loads in tap water can be higher or lower, which is why it might work relatively well for some while causing issues for others...

For misting, I’m sticking with distilled water.

Hugs :heart:



If someone lives in an area that has that bad of tap water, purchasing distilled water in plastic jugs probably isn’t an option. And tap water is generally treated properly in developed nations, with chlorine usually. That kills the vast majority of bacteria harmful to us “evolved” Earth critters. And most of the chorine is off-gassed rapidly when the water comes out of the tap.

If you can drink it, so can your fungi.



U ever been to Saginaw trailer park?

I've been to many places in the usa where u drink the water u have cancer in a few years or are dead.

Some really bad stuff gets put in the water that can't be filtered out.

There's stores withen a mile of the place water is accessable in bottles xd if u got money. 
I knew someone who drank beer instead of the water because it was better for them than the water there n lwk it's true 💀 the ones that drank the water didn't last n he's still around
:erictheangel:



Dude, my point is simple. The water you use is likely the last place to focus when it comes to contam. If your water is of such poor quality that it won’t grow a mushroom, spend more time trying to fix the water issue with your local government rather than growing anything.

Or buy some jug water from the store. Distilled will probably work, as there are nutrients in the “dirt” that will combine with the water, though there may be a salt component you’d need to adjust for. Probably not preferred by any animal/fungus/plant I’ve ever seen that required it for life, but us living things are resilient. Basically, my recommendation is that if you have to use store-bought water, just get the cheapest/drinking/spring, whatever!

Fungal matter has helped us clean up nuclear spills, so it’s not like the mycelium cares all that much about your city water supply. Has your previous consumption of mysterious mushrooms not taught you that growing and eating mushrooms should hardly your #1 priority if the water is that bad? Or maybe just grow the mushrooms with your tap water and hopefully they act as a filter for the contaminants before you eat them.

Bottom line, water=life. Mushrooms are alive. Give them water when they need it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk] * 2
    #29684606 -

Kloakk said:
bloodssonnew said:
Someone mentioned using easy clips for they're bags and had nothing but success with them.

Just giving you another option if u can find out what those clips are lol they pretty cheap too

Remember seeing whoever it was clip them to the bags then hang on a string or something









I also got some of those clips after I saw Kloakks bags. They work great, I've been using them for my grain storage too.



Before these I had improvised something similar using dowels and rubber bands. 😆



--------------------
This hobby has taught me many things.
Most of those things are patience.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery
The Official Shroomery Cultivation Museum
CakeWars
III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: bloodssonnew] * 1
    #29684639 -

bloodssonnew said:
AstroSporeFiend said:
Belintaf said:
Of course, it’ll always be a personal choice — but personally, I wouldn't recommend tap water across the board. And I’d even argue that bottled mineral water isn’t ideal either.

Tap water contains bacteria, including species from the Bacillus or Pseudomonas genera. Depending on the area, bacterial loads in tap water can be higher or lower, which is why it might work relatively well for some while causing issues for others...

For misting, I’m sticking with distilled water.

Hugs :heart:



If someone lives in an area that has that bad of tap water, purchasing distilled water in plastic jugs probably isn’t an option. And tap water is generally treated properly in developed nations, with chlorine usually. That kills the vast majority of bacteria harmful to us “evolved” Earth critters. And most of the chorine is off-gassed rapidly when the water comes out of the tap.

If you can drink it, so can your fungi.



U ever been to Saginaw trailer park?

I've been to many places in the usa where u drink the water u have cancer in a few years or are dead.

Some really bad stuff gets put in the water that can't be filtered out.

There's stores withen a mile of the place water is accessable in bottles xd if u got money. 
I knew someone who drank beer instead of the water because it was better for them than the water there n lwk it's true 💀 the ones that drank the water didn't last n he's still around
:erictheangel:



So don't add carcinogens to your grow.... got it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: DV8DUG]
    #29684650 -

DV8DUG said:
So don't add carcinogens to your grow.... got it.



Geek bar in the flow hood from POTD.....

:baseballfuck:

chat am I cooked


--------------------


.~`  𝔅 𝔞 𝔤 𝔢 𝔩  🥯  𝔅 𝔦 𝔱 𝔢 𝔰  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

🧪 Castellani Preservation | 🔬 The Slidewich | ☠️ Touchless skull sterilizer | 📸 Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29684661 -

If wiz can do this

:doublejointed:

Then your shrooms can do this




*satire*

Edited by langten69 (10/03/26 07:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Rasmodius] * 1
    #29684674 -

Thank you very much!


--------------------
Read the guide, read it again, understand the guide, then start the hobby.

I have no idea what I am doing, but I'm having fun doing it!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: shroom_fae]
    #29684718 -

0_tonin said:
I have a couple of questions about misting.

Is distilled water preferred for misting? Or tap water is fine? I have been misting with distilled water but then I read something about it not being ideal cos it sucks minerals out of the substrate, don’t know if that’s true.

Also, I noticed some little dents or bruising in the caps , is this due to misting? I don’t think big water drops are falling on them from the condensation in the lid, doubt it. Is it normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks guys 🤗🤗







Distilled water is definitely able to pull minerals out of a mammals system. So it's not advised to drink it more than just a quick quench. That being said mushrooms are getting most of their hydration through bulk sub. A mist is just to maintain humidity. It isn't really being used metabolically.

If you have a clean source of water then theres no need for distilled water unless you're making pickles or lc.

People without clean tap water can go buy jugs a lot more than youd think, and even more could distill their own water.

I have read on here ince about someones well having an iron reducing bacteria that they chalked their issues up to, my hard well water has never been a problem and ill chug that shit righ outta the tap.

TL;DR
Not all water sources are the same, and cubes get ample nutrients and minerals from their excess grain spawn.


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: tryptkaloids] * 1
    #29684722 -

Someone get me up to date.. what have I missed?

Stuff you'd only really see if you were active on the forums...

For example, I went to a mushroom festival full of growers, not one person had heard of semi solid liquid culture!

When I briefly logged back in maybe a year ago, cabin sequestering was the talk of the town..

Anything new or cool to share?

Hope you're all well :smile:


--------------------
Being pissed on does not make you a real man.

...OR DOES IT?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Guerrilla]
    #29684727 -

People use plastic bottles FCs to grow tall fruits

And Here is a new and fast way to organize agar

And welcome back to the shroomery

Edited by langten69 (10/03/26 09:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: langten69] * 2
    #29684739 -

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply!

The bottle FC is old school! Tall fruits will forever be cool asf. :awedance:

The agar thing is neatly done, I've got a label printer and have been using a code system, so not quite the QR thing but close enough.

I personally wouldn't like having to switch on a computer just to figure out what plate I'm looking at
:curbyourenthusiasm:

I'm looking for something really groundbreaking :wink:
:mindblown:


--------------------
Being pissed on does not make you a real man.

...OR DOES IT?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Guerrilla]
    #29684748 -

Perhaps the Slidewich tek

If not, GL on your search

:raisemyglass:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Guerrilla]
    #29684750 -

Guerrilla said:
Someone get me up to date.. what have I missed?

Stuff you'd only really see if you were active on the forums...

For example, I went to a mushroom festival full of growers, not one person had heard of semi solid liquid culture!

When I briefly logged back in maybe a year ago, cabin sequestering was the talk of the town..

Anything new or cool to share?

Hope you're all well :smile:



Time to build cabins :rockon:

Welcome back :hatsoff:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 4016 | 4017 | 4018 | 4019 | 4020 | 4021 | 4022 | 4023 | 4024 | 4025 | 4026 | 4027 | 4028 | 4029 | 4030 | 4031 | 4032 | 4033 | 4034 | 4035 | 4036 | | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* quick question, finished colonizing? usefulidiot 1,852 1 04/06/03 04:31 PM
by kindkesey
* Quick Question grateful_head 1,238 2 08/18/01 01:40 PM
by Billyblastoff
* New to the boards, and a quick question to start ! Anonymous 1,829 4 03/11/02 01:18 AM
by 2shrewmen
* some quick questions about my treasure coasts alf 3,849 19 11/15/01 11:54 PM
by Anonymous
* Quick Question needs quick answer Wheedhead! 1,180 2 01/19/03 07:06 AM
by Wheedhead!
* quick question SuppaFly 1,044 1 09/18/02 02:41 PM
by mickey_rourke
* Re: Quick Question
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,542 22 06/14/00 03:46 AM
by hitterg
* Quick Question LXTC 1,806 11 09/24/02 08:09 PM
by LXTC

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,159,404 topic views. 16 members, 98 guests and 96 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.065 seconds spending 0.044 seconds on 16 queries.