Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Agar recipes
    #29675468 -

Hello again, thanks all for the previous help everything is now working (jars and bags colonising perfectly from the agar

Anyway, I'm now getting curious about using honey as my nutrient source for my agar, i have been using brf in the agar however it becomes very cloudy which seems to be a strong negative in most people's opinions, i tried using grain water however i use corn grain water and all of my plates from using that had very slow growth, I'm in the uk so i dont have access to malt and things like that, I'm not too fussed at the moment at isolating and etc but i am going to clone from my fruits soon

Would using just honey be better or am i fixing something that aint broke?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: Vin Cain]
    #29675478 -

Honey can work in a pinch, but it's not ideal. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the structure of the sugar, although I don't remember the exact reason why it's not really used.

Have you tried looking for spraymalt? Google seems to think that is what DME is called in the UK. It looks like brewing is legal in the UK, so any brewing supply store should have some kind of malt.

Another alternate is potato flakes and dextrose.


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon]
    #29675504 -

I’ve been adding potato to mine and it’s really seem to make a difference for me

One cup of water
4 g agar agar
4 g malt extract
2 spoonfuls dehydrated, potato flakes

Makes 10 normal agar plates

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon]
    #29675537 -

Honey is mostly fructose, fruit sugar.  At least in animals, it converts immediately to sucrose (cane sugar) in the body. 
That said, I have no idea why mycellium prefers dextrose and maltose. They are also simple sugars.  I'm diabetic, and after some reading they seem to have the same glycemic index.  (Obviously mammals and fungi are not the same deal).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: Vin Cain]
    #29675541 -

Malt should be easy to find.  It is used a lot in home brewing, if there's a home brew shop somewhere near you.  It's also used in baking and candy making. 
I messed around with karo syrup, honey, maple syrup...  finally just broke down and got some malt.  I have no idea why, but it works far better.  I'm guessing because it has other nutes in it, some minerals, some more complex carbs...
Anyway, I got a 500g bag at the local brew shop for a small price.  Just make sure to keep it in an air tight container.  Mine absorbed moisture and is now a very heavy syrup material.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: John in WI]
    #29675551 -

Amazon has everything you’d  need

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: 99.99]
    #29675611 -

Aside from malt extract, which I use for lower nutrient plates, my absolute go-to is Milkboy's PDA.

It's instant potato flakes and corn syrup (Karo) or molasses. I do it with Karo and it makes clear as fuck plates that grow like hell. I'm in Europe so I have to get corn syrup from expat stores- totally worth it. Also make gummies from Reverend Myc's tek which uses corn syrup so just keep it on hand.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: bluescreen]
    #29675678 -

Do you have a preference for karo or molasses?  If I remember, karo is dextrose (glucose) and molasses is largely sucrose with some dextrose. But also molasses has a lot of other components. Calcium, potassium...
I've been using potato broth and malt for about 2 years, I think I should rotate the formula once in a while.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: Vin Cain] * 1
    #29675776 -

Vin Cain said:
[......] I'm in the uk so i dont have access to malt and things like that [.....]




Try a beer brewing supply shop they do stock light malt extract.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: John in WI]
    #29675989 -

John in WI said:
Do you have a preference for karo or molasses?  If I remember, karo is dextrose (glucose) and molasses is largely sucrose with some dextrose. But also molasses has a lot of other components. Calcium, potassium...
I've been using potato broth and malt for about 2 years, I think I should rotate the formula once in a while.



Haven't tried with molasses, but Milkboy likes it because it makes a nice color with blue food coloring. Seems to work pretty much the same.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: bluescreen]
    #29676036 -

BRF is a bomb for germination.
If itΒ΄s too cloudy for you,
add a pinch of charcoal to make it black.
Just keep in mind charcoal has antibiotic agents :wink:

          :cookiemonster:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: Goatrider]
    #29676144 -

Instant mashed potatoes is a good alternative, unless they are strictly a NA thing.

I've used gnocchi boil water, rice vermicelli boil water, even ramen noodle (not recomended because of the fats) boil water with success. With a drop of honey or maple syrup.

Of the food ones, rice vermicelli is the cleanest ingredient list, just rice flour and water. I've gotten best growth from gnocchi, but it does depend on the brand.

I wonder if pasta boil water would be enough. Using human grade food is better because the runoff from grainwater like oats is going to be filled with antifungals, pesticides and etc.


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Instant Pot Agar
Gnocchi Water Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Edited by Huskies (09/23/26 10:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: Huskies]
    #29676201 -

Huskies said:
Instant mashed potatoes is a good alternative, unless they are strictly a NA thing.

I've used gnocchi boil water, rice vermicelli boil water, even ramen noodle (not recomended because of the fats) boil water with success. With a drop of honey or maple syrup.

Of the food ones, rice vermicelli is the cleanest ingredient list, just rice flour and water. I've gotten best growth from gnocchi, but it does depend on the brand.

I wonder if pasta boil water would be enough. Using human grade food is better because the runoff from grainwater like oats is going to be filled with antifungals, pesticides and etc.




The Milkboy tek uses instant potatoes, but you filter them out in a press pot. Plates are easily as clear or more so than a standard LME plate. Other methods I've tried using potato flakes keep them in, and  those are always opaque.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: bluescreen]
    #29676220 -

I'm surprised This hasn't been mentioned in a while.


-Kingboomer


--------------------


I'm just a clown dancing to the sins of mankind.

-Captain Spaulding

Back in business
Cake wars III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: kingboomer]
    #29676434 -

This is brilliant thank you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: kingboomer]
    #29676474 -

kingboomer said:
I'm surprised This hasn't been mentioned in a while.


-Kingboomer



That is legendary link pull Boomer!

:bow2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: langten69]
    #29676572 -

Vin Cain said:
This is brilliant thank you



langten69 said:
kingboomer said:
I'm surprised This hasn't been mentioned in a while.


-Kingboomer



That is legendary link pull Boomer!

:bow2:




Guys keep in mind there's recipes in there for growing more than just fungus, and that link is very old.


--------------------


I'm just a clown dancing to the sins of mankind.

-Captain Spaulding

Back in business
Cake wars III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: kingboomer]
    #29676596 -

Some of the best links are old and forgotten about teks that have phased out of popularity

Although i am surprised you say that its more than just fungi agar recipes

I suppose each recipe works better for certain species/cultures

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: langten69]
    #29676599 -

langten69 said:
Some of the best links are old and forgotten about teks that have phased out of popularity

Although i am surprised you say that its more than just fungi agar recipes

I suppose each recipe works better for certain species/cultures




The blood agar recipe in there is specifically for bacteria I'm fairly certain


--------------------


I'm just a clown dancing to the sins of mankind.

-Captain Spaulding

Back in business
Cake wars III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar recipes [Re: kingboomer]
    #29676614 -

:nodofunderstanding:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Agar recipe work well for germinating these five spores? KingCobWeb 10,788 8 02/24/03 11:48 PM
by Anno
* Simple Agar recipe please? ATWAR 47,741 18 12/14/20 01:25 PM
by bigfootscreepyuncl
* agar recipe arabmobster 3,119 4 04/06/03 08:08 PM
by arabmobster
* Agar Recipe Substitution mr_minds_eye 1,916 6 03/29/07 12:14 PM
by RoachMan
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* agar with malted barley syrup Hongosmeester 7,920 17 10/27/19 10:42 PM
by ABCMORPHS
* -=Newbies 411 Agar for n00bs=- ThatDaltonGuy 4,624 16 04/27/04 10:02 AM
by ThatDaltonGuy
* I extended my penis 6" using AGAR KingCobWeb 2,698 2 02/22/03 11:43 PM
by KingCobWeb

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
236 topic views. 27 members, 80 guests and 214 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.