Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | 1466 | 1467 | 1468 | 1469 | 1470 | 1471 | 1472 | 1473 | 1474 | 1475 | 1476 | 1477 | 1478 | 1479 | 1480 | 1481 | 1482 | 1483 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #29258294 -





I PC'd these plastic cups I know some people use. They came out of the cooker wet and I had to dry them off in SAB. After sealing and removing from SAB the lids are riddled with condensation! I flipped some over and it cleared the lid but the condensate is now water droplets on the surface of the agar even upside down. I put them on a heating pad on low to do this.

I assume the little bit of water won't harm any agar work assuming no contamination was otherwise introduced via my noobie skills?

Any other thoughts?
.


--------------------
Is not what we see or seem but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allan Poe

:mushroom2:The Hitchhikers Guide to the Shroomery:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Harpo67]
    #29258297 -

Harpo67 said:




I PC'd these plastic cups I know some people use. They came out of the cooker wet and I had to dry them off in SAB. After sealing and removing from SAB the lids are riddled with condensation! I flipped some over and it cleared the lid but the condensate is now water droplets on the surface of the agar even upside down. I put them on a heating pad on low to do this.

I assume the little bit of water won't harm any agar work assuming no contamination was otherwise introduced via my noobie skills?

Any other thoughts?
.



No pour or pre pour are often riddled with condensation issues for a lot of people, what I personally do is leave then in the SAB until they dry out, the agar should absorb the condensation on the surface over a couple days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Axman] * 3
    #29258309 -

Hey guys,

can you have a look at my plates, please?

Psilocybe azurescens:

Agar recipe: 20 g agar + 20 g light malt extract + 1,25 g yeast extract + 1 liter destilled water
In some areas the myc is growing upwards, towards the lid. Is that normal?
There is also some thin fuzzy myc growing on top of the rhizo myc.
Another point is that from the day on i made some transfers from this dish, the appearance of the growth changed. Do you think some contams have gotten into the dish?
It has become very hot in my country the last days, so maybe this could also be the reason?



Psilocybe cyanescens:

Agar recipe: 20 g agar + 20 g light malt extract + 1,25 g yeast extract + 1 liter destilled water
In some areas the myc is growing upwards, towards the lid. Is that normal?
There is also some thin fuzzy myc growing on top of the rhizo myc.



Psilocybe zapotecorum:

Agar recipe: 20 g agar + 18 g light malt extract  + 1 liter destilled water

The plates have started to look powdery in the middle of the plate.
Could that be mold? Or just myc that consolidates?



Thanks in advance!

Psychedelicmind

Edited by psychedelicmind (06/22/25 07:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Harpo67] * 1
    #29258342 -

When doing a simple isolation transfer, does it matter if the wedge on the new dish is mycellium side up or down?

Doing my first ever  transfers today.


--------------------
Is not what we see or seem but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allan Poe

:mushroom2:The Hitchhikers Guide to the Shroomery:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Harpo67]
    #29258386 -

Harpo67 said:
When doing a simple isolation transfer, does it matter if the wedge on the new dish is mycellium side up or down?

Doing my first ever  transfers today.



No.


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Harpo67]
    #29258387 -

Harpo67 said:




I PC'd these plastic cups I know some people use. They came out of the cooker wet and I had to dry them off in SAB. After sealing and removing from SAB the lids are riddled with condensation! I flipped some over and it cleared the lid but the condensate is now water droplets on the surface of the agar even upside down. I put them on a heating pad on low to do this.

I assume the little bit of water won't harm any agar work assuming no contamination was otherwise introduced via my noobie skills?

Any other thoughts?
.



It helps to let the agar solidify before lidding and pcing the.


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Harpo67] * 2
    #29258429 -

Harpo67 said:
When doing a simple isolation transfer, does it matter if the wedge on the new dish is mycellium side up or down?

Doing my first ever  transfers today.



I always do mycelium side down. It "takes" quicker, which also means it's less likely to dislodge when moving the plate sooner.

Just flip the scalpel as you get it over the middle of the receiving plate.

And try to keep your hand from going over the plate, even if you're wearing gloves you've spayed with ISO alcohol as I'd recommend.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/29095187

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 5
    #29258518 -





more t1s from same clone plates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nocap] * 1
    #29259041 -

Used up my first 20 petri dishes and about 13 days later:
3 got moldy
9 got bacterial
6 got melted(I thought they were PP ;-;)
1 looks fine. Although I dont really feel like using it

I'm almost certain its cuz I did the wrapping part terribly poorly. The first 2 contaminated dishes were moldy and straight up loose.

Good news is I've got about 40ish condiment cups a few days older than the petri. All clean from a quick look.
Unfortunately it'll be another week till I can start doing spore&agar stuff. 🥲

Edited by evercloserutopia (06/22/25 10:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: evercloserutopia]
    #29259044 -

Are you wrapping plates before you inoculate them? I toss em in a gallon ziplock or sandwich bags by 3


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: evercloserutopia]
    #29259206 -

Oh I just wrapped them a few minutes after cooling and put them back in the bag they came in.

I hadn't prepared the cling wrap beforehand, so I had to leave for a bit to go get it. Forgot to sanitize the cling wrap strips before using them which definitely didn't help either. Along with the strips being barely enough for 1 revolution .

As it was my first time doing this, I was waiting 2 weeks before using the plates so they weren't inoculated with anything.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: evercloserutopia] * 1
    #29259372 -

You're precutting strips of clingwrap? Just cut an inch off the end of the roll and use the roll to wrap the plates. You dont need to sanitize the wrap, it was processed with tons of heats and is effectively sterile. Use the inner face of it to the plate.

Dont bother wrapping plates before inoculation. Store in a ziplock until you use em, THEN wrap


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids] * 3
    #29259403 -

Just had a few pictures of gorgeous agar plates I wanted to share 🤩

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: TheAlbinoYetti3415] * 2
    #29259413 -

Not at all trying to rain on your parade homie, but most of that needs cleaned up. You're definitely getting there though! There's def good myc to pull from at least. 🤙


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 3
    #29259424 -

:whathesaid:

try to take small cuts of agar  like a grain of small rice. youll get a more uniformed circular culture which can help you find leading edges and such

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mushboy] * 5
    #29259597 -

Pink oyster plates are turning pink:cool::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Agar Wedge]
    #29259824 -

I made some MYEA

500ml h2o
7g agar
10g malt extract powder
1g yeast
3 drop blue dye

I noticed 2 clumps about the size of a dime floating around the pot, I stirred for a while while also trying to chop the clumps up and didn't really have any success dissolving the clumps.

I usually ladle my agar into my no pour jars so I was careful to avoid the clumps, but now I can't stop worrying that my agar recipe is not the correct level of nutes because of the undissolved clumps.

I figure the amount of powder that was clumped together was negligible.. sorta just looking for someone to tell me to quit worrying. I've been trying to germinate spores on agar, I've done 3 batches, the first was straight potato and agar, then potato/dextrose twice, and now im trying MEA.


--------------------
:trippinballs::trippinballs:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: magicschoolbus] * 1
    #29259915 -

Quit worrying. :smile: Even of some of your nutrients didn't get dissolved, there will be plenty in there. An immersion blender could help. Personally I just mix the ingredients up in a media bottle, shake the shit out of it, usually microwave it to melt the agar and shake again, and sterilize. There's always a little bit of particulate, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

If you're having trouble getting spores to germinate on agar, you might try BRF pucks. You can easily transfer back to agar once you have mycelium.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Phaethon]
    #29259942 -

Phaethon said:
  An immersion blender could help.



I'll second that. It's also useful in the kitchen in general. Heat the agar / dextrose / nutrient (Malt or potato flakes often) on stove, while blending.

I use a Immersion Hand Blender, also called a Stick Blender. Mine was 15 dollars on Amazon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61]
    #29261676 -


Sorry for the worlds shittiest picture but I got growth 48 hours later. The black spot is ofc a dark spore streak

Last attempt I had 3 jars have a couple white spots appear after 72 hours, although 12 hours later they turned green/grey.

This attempt is also with a different print from a grow i did about 2 years ago. Also using Malt/yeast instead of potato/karo

Anyways here's to hoping it stays white, so far this is the first visible growth out of the 12 jars I made. I anticipate there will be more colonies that pop up, but leaning towards going with the fastest

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | 1466 | 1467 | 1468 | 1469 | 1470 | 1471 | 1472 | 1473 | 1474 | 1475 | 1476 | 1477 | 1478 | 1479 | 1480 | 1481 | 1482 | 1483 | | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 74 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 79 5 10/05/26 03:21 PM
by Yetidude
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,839 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,394 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,010 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,707 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,326 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,940 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,798 topic views. 18 members, 200 guests and 146 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.061 seconds spending 0.033 seconds on 16 queries.