Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1795 | 1796 | 1797 | 1798 | 1799 | 1800 | 1801 | 1802 | 1803 | 1804 | 1805 | 1806 | 1807 | 1808 | 1809 | 1810 | 1811 | 1812 | 1813 | 1814 | 1815 | | Last >
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon] * 3
    #29118269 -

@Puff you will totally figure it all out and find something that works for you. I have no doubts.
You just get in there and start doing and it will come together.


--------------------
Cultivating Panaeolus cyanescens


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon]
    #29118282 -

PuffM4gicDr4gon said:
Ahhh, Jiffy is a brand. I thought for some reason it was a product of miracle grow. Ive been searching 'Jiffy Mix' on Amazon for weeks and the only thing that came up was miracle grow.

The Jiffy seedling starter mix pointed me in the right direction. Tyvm.

Picture for reference in case anyone else is foolish like me





So I found this exact product on Amazon, the description says it also contains coir. Is that an issue with pans? Or is there a different jiffy mix I need to find?

At this point, I guess I'm planning to just case with peat because it's the only casing material that I find that I know doesn't contain anything else.


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: KlarnEvil9] * 1
    #29118299 -

A bit of coir is fine, it should have the salt washed out of it. Hopefully that brand does already, most garden coir does.  Either way it looks like it's mostly peat.

But I've 'cased' with just coir.  It wasn't optimal but I got fruits.


--------------------
And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places
I'd be running up that road
Be running up that hill
With no problems

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Asura]
    #29118302 -

Right now, I'm torn between Cactus Soil or Seedling starter mix and making my own with spaghnum, lime, and Calc Carb.

I do know that I don't want to pasteurize. My work schedule doesn't work with babying the temperature of something.

Something that works out of the bag as is, or can be sterilized is my preference.


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: kirkeng] * 1
    #29118308 -

Yep, yep, yep, each to their own!

I pasteurize 3 liters of casing at a time and keep it in the fridge, this way it stays good til I use it all up, like 2 month or so.

Having said this, the two jars of Bbar I have here will probably be run uncased as I can't get myself to crack open that mint bag of peat just for two tubs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon]
    #29118310 -

If I was in your shoes, I would go with the seed mix for simplicity. If you decide you want to keep growing things that require casing, somewhere down the line, it would probably be economical to figure out making it yourself.

Apparently sterilization works.  And I know some gourmet growers use peat unpasteurized.  Pasteurization isn't the only way.

I think most peat casing hang-ups have more to do with pH being adjusted blind, rather than what we do with it after.  And there was definitely a learning curve to all of that, at least for me.

Edit:  also what baba just said, you can just top dress.  At least with cyans. I don't know if anyone has done that with the leaf litter pans, or not, but I have seen it a few times now with cyans.


--------------------
And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places
I'd be running up that road
Be running up that hill
With no problems

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: tree frog]
    #29118312 -

tree frog said:
A bit of coir is fine, it should have the salt washed out of it. Hopefully that brand does already, most garden coir does.  Either way it looks like it's mostly peat.

But I've 'cased' with just coir.  It wasn't optimal but I got fruits.



Ok cool, thanks for the info. :thanx:

I have to do some work stuff today, but I'm going to grab jiffy mix on my way home.


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon] * 3
    #29118321 -

PuffM4gicDr4gon said:
Right now, I'm torn between Cactus Soil or Seedling starter mix and making my own with spaghnum, lime, and Calc Carb.

I do know that I don't want to pasteurize. My work schedule doesn't work with babying the temperature of something.

Something that works out of the bag as is, or can be sterilized is my preference.




gosh I'm slow today but send it anyway:

I'd go with the seedling starter mix and try it both ways. As Tfrog said, making your own is the way long term as with anything in the hobby.

You'll get the hang of it all in no time, just keep chipping away at it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Baba Yaga] * 7
    #29118409 -

Bbar getting close, substrate is already pasteurized and waiting.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Baba Yaga] * 7
    #29118464 -

Peave River


Burringbar


All in the martha tent now. Fingers crossed!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Asura] * 1
    #29118568 -

Asura said:
Everyone is going to have an opinion on casing, I think. People do it all different
ways and most of those ways work for them.

I use the classic peat/verm mix but I add calcium carbonate, lime and I sterilize.

The main benefit for me, besides zero contamination is that I can store it for much longer
than pasteurized. It lets me make a larger batch that I can use over several runs.




Same here.. all my pan substrates and their casings are sterilized, zero issues. Used to pasteurize them during the colder months but after getting this old, it became more of a nuisance :heart::heart:


--------------------
:ancientaliens:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: astra] * 3
    #29118643 -

Sterile sub and casing here too but I do case in front of hood for indoor grows. Outdoor grows,  colonized sterile sub + cacti soil straight from the bag.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: astra] * 4
    #29118684 -

How much should I let my Pan myc colonize rye before the 1st shake? Is it the same as cubes i.e. around 20-30% colonization?

They look happy and are growing quickly, I don't want to ruin that with ineptitude. Here's what the first 2 look like right now, 3 views of each jar. They were inoculated Feb 3rd.

Pan cyan, var. MiB:




Pan cyan, var. unknown:




--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: KlarnEvil9] * 5
    #29118712 -

I'd shake them at that stage.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Baba Yaga] * 2
    #29119089 -

:whathesaid::heart::heart:


--------------------
:ancientaliens:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: astra] * 2
    #29119484 -

Baba Yaga said:
I'd shake them at that stage.



astra said:
:whathesaid::heart::heart:



Thank you for the quick replies! I shook them last night, I'm now happily watching them :grin:


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: angamshroom] * 3
    #29119529 -

KlarnEvil9 said:
How much should I let my Pan myc colonize rye before the 1st shake? Is it the same as cubes i.e. around 20-30% colonization?

They look happy and are growing quickly, I don't want to ruin that with ineptitude. Here's what the first 2 look like right now, 3 views of each jar. They were inoculated Feb 3rd.

Pan cyan, var. MiB:




Pan cyan, var. unknown:






angamshroom said:
BVI always grows in clusters. There are enough tickets for the spaceship and we will fly to the neighboring galaxy soon!




These looking so nice I love them

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: MedicinalMushroom] * 2
    #29121267 -

Finally starting to lose patience with my tiny little pressure cooker. Works well, but the hours and hours of loading/unloading has lost its appeal. Think I’m going to start watching Craigslist for hoss sized canners or maybe an autoclave if I can get lucky.

Decided to give pasteurization a shot in the meanwhile. By good fortune, the vacuum sealer and water bath that I already had are perfectly sized for each other. Thinking I should be able to fit two monotubs worth of substrate into a cycle. Going to run four bags with temperature probes to determine if reality agrees with my assertion.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: Purrmes]
    #29121369 -

This discussion of pasteurization as requiring babysitting is weird. Instant Pot, slow cookers, even rice cookers. All of these have a "keep warm" type function. That temperature is high enough that it inhibits microbial activity but not so high it scorches. AKA pasteurization temp range. Get some water and a container of whatever you're cooking and walk away for a long while. It's less to babysit than a full PC run and I never want to live in a kitchen that doesn't have at least one of those things.

I'm a big fan of controlling microbiomes. All the other consumable home microbiology I've done relies on that instead of sterility. Beer just needs sanitization and then the yeast outcompetes. Pickling limits competition with salt. If there's a chance there's something helpful to outcompete contamination then I'm going to try to take advantage of that.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread [Re: SparklingLimeade]
    #29121371 -

This is similar to what I do using my IP, I load up a ziploc with my casing or compost and steam pasturise overnight, and I saw JOC talks about using a rice cooker in his guide on Panaeolus cultivation too.

It is a super common pasturisation method in other hobbies but maybe not good for a large quantity of casing or substrate I suppose.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1795 | 1796 | 1797 | 1798 | 1799 | 1800 | 1801 | 1802 | 1803 | 1804 | 1805 | 1806 | 1807 | 1808 | 1809 | 1810 | 1811 | 1812 | 1813 | 1814 | 1815 | | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Official Psilocybe zapotecorum thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 88 89 )
Hindsight 81,493 1,763 10/01/26 03:20 PM
by Blopblop
* Mycogone perniciosa treatment LearyTheory 3,874 3 08/31/11 01:29 AM
by LearyTheory
* mycogone perniciosa Hammerloaf 4,270 2 07/06/02 05:26 PM
by Hammerloaf
* Mycogone aka wet bubble! successfully fruited.
( 1 2 all )
oontribe 12,140 26 02/21/18 04:28 AM
by OriginalGinger
* Is this mycogone? Help id contam pls. Wormi 1,347 9 07/09/16 09:01 AM
by Wormi
* Mycogone, Stroma, White mold? or is this healthy?! DunkinGonads 1,720 9 08/31/16 05:53 PM
by DunkinGonads
* Is this mycogone and what have I done. tombosley8 2,110 1 05/21/16 12:33 AM
by Mad Season
* Mycogone perniciosa aka Wet Bubble Q deep_throat 1,996 15 01/04/15 12:44 AM
by psilocybeMAN

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,305,168 topic views. 17 members, 944 guests and 219 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.056 seconds spending 0.03 seconds on 16 queries.