Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
I'd like to draw on the past experiences of others with this common contaminant. I seem to get afflicted by this on occasion, even though very stringent measures are taken for sterility. Also, this ALWAYS afflicts cakes, and never casings... very strange.
Please, if anyone has battled Mycogone before give me your prevention tips, destruction tips, etc...
and has anyone ever eaten shrooms afflicted with mycogone?
Well to rehash some previously posted details about mycogone... here it is:
"mycogone perniciosa Magnus (Bubble): When this fungus attacks mushrooms a white, felt-like mould grows on them and rapidly reduces them to soft, white putrescences exuding brown bubbles. A swollen stalk and disproportionately small cap indi- cate infection at an early stage in the development of the mush- room. Diseased mushrooms should be sterilized on the beds with 2 per cent formalin and promptly removed, regardless of their size and the extent of the infection. mycogone is a soil- inhabiting fungus, and the casing should be suspected as the source of infection, but introduction of the spores by other agencies should not be overlooked. Zineb dust and chlorinated water have been superseded by benomyl."
Now, obviously the treatment suggested above is for a larger scale operation, except maybe some chlorinated water... or bleach water.
My problem seems not to stem from casing materials, but from either syringes, jars, prints, or my terrarium...
Please, if anyone has more information or war tales, speak up!