Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Archetypes, Astrology, and Synchronicity...
    #2875658 - 07/10/04 10:04 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The term synchronicity refers to coincidental events which are connected through meaning, though not through what we think of as linear cause and effect. In my understanding, synchronicity is at the very core of astrology, which, although it works well, is quite mysterious from the strictly rational Western point of view. In fact, as we look more deeply into the interconnectedness of all things which is implied by both astrology and the new physics, we may find that synchronicity is fundamental to the way things are.

Astrology is defined in Webster's Third New International Dictionary as 'divination that treats of the supposed influence of the stars upon human affairs and of the foretelling of terrestrial events by their positions and aspects.' I would differ somewhat from that position. In my mind, it is not that the stars or planets are influencing events or people so much as it is that there are correlations we can observe between the inner and outer events of life and the positions of the celestial bodies. One way of describing this is to say that we live in a one-piece universe, in which the boundaries we have drawn between self and other, subject and object, inner and outer, are all artificial demarcations. In a one-piece world, everything is connected, so changed in one domain are reflected everywhere else. An individual can learn to notice the changing patterns in one area, and to relate those patterns to observable changes in others. If the same corresponding patterns are seen repeatedly, one has found a correlation that may have predictive value.

In astrology, the ancients did much of this type of observation. They closely watched and recorded the movements of the stars and planets in the night sky, and noticed synchronous connections with the events of human life, both in the outer world and within the psyche. Astrology and astronomy were originally different aspects of a single science. In fact, Sir Isaac Newton, who 'discovered' gravity and formulated the laws of planetary motion, studied and wrote about both astrology and alchemy. In more recent times, astrology has been dismissed as a kind of superstition. However, quantam physics, arguably the most advanced branch of science, has given rise once again to the idea of a radically interconnected universe in which the observations and predictions of astrology may ultimately be recognized and validated.

Stanislav Grof has said this: 'The world of archetypes, although normally imperceptible, is not entirely seperate from our own. It is intimately interwoven with it and plays a critical role in creating it. In this way, it represents a supraordinated (higher) dimension that forms and informs the experience of our everyday life. The archetypal domains thus represents a bridge between the world of matter and the undifferentiated field of Cosmic Consciousness.'

We might look at the archetypes as being midway between ourselves and the Divine source, occupying a position not unlike that of the Greek and Roman gods and goddesses of antiquity. Thus they set the stage and form the basic storylines of our world, and we act them out in a kind of improvisational play. Examples include ET's, demons, angels, fairies, etc.

That of course takes us to what I think makes astrology worthwhile. It provides a means for us to become conscious of the archetypal weather report- it can give us a moving picture of ourselves, our life situation, and even the state of our world- past, present, and future. When we learn how to look at that picture, we can navigate better, riding the fair winds and weathering the storm.

To conclude I would like to say that I think the earth is a center of cosmic meaning. Rather than being a random universe of unconnected objects and events, the cosmos is revealing itself to me as an intelligent whole which is permeated with meaning.

Synchronicity out.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Archetypes, Astrology, and Synchronicity... [Re: Adamist]
    #2875750 - 07/10/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

waves usually involve increasing and decreasing pressure in their propagating medium. (suf gets pushed around by this)

stuff moves together partly due to waves that they are subjected to together.

stuff forms in similar kinds of shapes and measures due to common components and shared origins.

synchronicity (happenning at the same time -chronos=time, syn=together) is very natural, usually we ignore it since we are looking for detailed processes to complete (expecting)

when we have no expectation we become much more attuned to what is happenning together all around us.

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
    #2875752 - 07/10/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"My self extends far beyond my body and mind."

peace and love.

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #2875989 - 07/10/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

That was a great post, man. I can't really think of much else to say other than I think I can relate to alot of what you said. I tend to observe syncronicities as my life progresses almost constantly/habitually..to me it's almost like as you said..feeling a sense of connectedness with my environment, as if the stream of time and the events occuring within it seem to flow accordingly to relative me..atleast in some sense.

Of course I might just be applying 'meaning' to things that may not have any meaning at all..but these kinds of things happen often, and they seem to keep poking at me on different levels for whatever reason..intuitively it doesn't feel like something I should be ignoring, but instead paying close attention to. Some of the time these experiences can seem to finish with a lesson learned, while other times a connection will simply be observed/acknowleged with not much reaction from me other than taking a little mental note.

Either way, nice post..you did a great job articulating that.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order