Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 364 | 365 | 366 | 367 | 368 | 369 | 370 | 371 | 372 | 373 | 374 | 375 | 376 | 377 | 378 | 379 | 380 | 381 | 382 | 383 | 384 | | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AlsetAlokin]
    #27129020 -

AlsetAlokin said:
Adrenochrome said:
Can someone help me understand how, if at all, the spores from a huge canopied fruit differ from the spores of a single small one of the same variety.(different cultures)



Also interested. Heres a link about crossing strains, but I'm also curious as to when a line of genetics becomes "stabilized" and replicated by it's spores.

Until recently I thought that going back to spores was a complete genetic reset, but recently I'm seeing things that insist otherwise.




Hoping an expert chimes in because I'm also interested in the answer.

But I'll add the little that I can, as how I understand it for now.


Let's consider 1 large and 1 small mushroom from the same MS grow...
All other factors aside, the difference in size is thought to be influenced by the difference in genes and/or expression of genes. So, cloning them will likely result in a whole tub of mushrooms similar to the cloned fruit.

Taking spore prints, on the other hand, will result in 2 similar MS grows. However, If the genetics were the main influencer of the small-sized mushroom, the production of spores is coming from a parent organism whose genes are already coded for a small mushroom. So even though there is a huge amount of gene shuffling going on to produce the spores, they will be slightly more susceptible to resembling the mushroom that produced the spores.

This is how people stabilize a strain that they recently crossed. Clone the fruit displaying the phenotype you're interested in, do a clone grow, take spore print from the fruits that look like what you're after, do an MS grow, clone the fruit you like, repeat, repeat, ect


edit: This knowledge comes mostly from reading on here, not from experiments I've done, so take it with a grain of salt


--------------------

Edited by TheDoobsker (01/05/21 06:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tomcards]
    #27129129 -

tomcards said:
Rustywhyte rhizo devouring my SFD slant.






This is beautiful.

I'm about to make up some slants in the coming weeks for the first time if these clones perform well.

Transferring to the slant is the only part that worries me. Must not get any contaminates into the precious slant!  :willynilly:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Mr. Mushie]
    #27129761 -

Thanks Mr. Mushie,

I encourage you to make some of my SFD slants.  I explain the tek here:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27079199

Let me know how it goes.


Tom

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tomcards]
    #27130450 -



First time cloning.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AlsetAlokin]
    #27130460 -



--------------------
Everything in life is a trade-off.

All posts made by this account are purely satirical in nature.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Eugene Gesuale]
    #27130767 -

Can someone tell me what I can do to avoid the bubbles in my agar? I also canโ€™t seem to pour at a proper temperature to avoid condensation.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: NOS4A2]
    #27130806 -

Set your vessel on a stable unmoving surface while it cools from the PC(hopefully you're using a flowhood or SAB), let the bubbles disperse and allow it to cool to 125f or so, pour.
Some agar needs to be shaken when it comes out of the PC, if need be grab heat resistant gloves and shake it up way before the 125f mark, let the bubbles disperse obviously.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mushhead] * 1
    #27130859 -

What I've been doing for condensation is right after pouring plates, I boil about 300ml of water and add it to my media bottle, put the cap on the bottle and place it on the top of the stack. All the plates are crystal clear.

This isn't anything new, I think a lot of growers do something similar. I have just found that using the media bottles works really well


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: TheDoobsker]
    #27130872 -

TheDoobsker said:
What I've been doing for condensation is right after pouring plates, I boil about 300ml of water and add it to my media bottle, put the cap on the bottle and place it on the top of the stack. All the plates are crystal clear.

This isn't anything new, I think a lot of growers do something similar. I have just found that using the media bottles works really well



:whathesaid:This is a great way to get rid of condensation.

It's bubbles like this I care more about so I can accurately determine if I have bacteria or other contams.

Edited by mushhead (01/06/21 04:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: TheDoobsker]
    #27131025 -

TheDoobsker said:
What I've been doing for condensation is right after pouring plates, I boil about 300ml of water and add it to my media bottle, put the cap on the bottle and place it on the top of the stack. All the plates are crystal clear.

This isn't anything new, I think a lot of growers do something similar. I have just found that using the media bottles works really well




Doobsker,

That's a cool idea.  How many plates are in the stack upon which you place the media bottle?  That sounds like quite a balancing act.

And how long do you leave the media bottle on top of the plates?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tomcards]
    #27132741 -

I only pour stacks of 10, might be more difficult for someone pouring 20 stacks. Balancing is easy with plastics because they're very light and stack together so well, but I also use glass. That's where it feels like I'm learning how to stone balance :lol:

Usually I just leave it on until I use or store away the dishes.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: TheDoobsker]
    #27132776 -

TheDoobsker said:
I only pour stacks of 10, might be more difficult for someone pouring 20 stacks. Balancing is easy with plastics because they're very light and stack together so well, but I also use glass. That's where it feels like I'm learning how to stone balance :lol:

Usually I just leave it on until I use or store away the dishes.



I do this with a hot wide coffee mug. My media bottle is too tall for my SAB to sit atop a stack of 10.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mushhead]
    #27132879 -





Contam?  (The one on the left.)  Transfered some very wispy spots from a couple of plates that were pretty sketchy, so I don't have a ton of hope, but I also don't see any of the bacteria-looking stuff from the original plates so... maybe?

edit:  agar recipe is undiluted grain water (wheat), ~2% agar.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: adhoc]
    #27133066 -

I need a little help with my cultures...

Everything was proceeding normally with isolating and cleaning cultures (into T-2 to T-5 for most varieties), but my last round of transfers is showing up mostly translucent and without strong rhizo or tomentose growth on every plate.



The cultures just seem weak or something, but no apparent contams.
It was hard to take pictures of what I mean, but it is not growing superficially as I'm used to, and appears to poke through in some spots of the colony or just continue expanding without filling in.

Is this a problem with my agar recipe? I was using a pre-mix until this round so my new recipe could be too hard, but I went with standard D3 recipe:
  • 20g agar agar
  • 16g LME
  • 1000ml distilled water

I'm having a similar issue with my LAGM streak plates.
I can tell it is actual mycelium growing, but it doesn't seem to be taking hold strongly on the surface of the agar.

It has been a little cooler lately, so maybe it is not getting a good jump off due to environmental storage conditions?
Would food coloring sugars cause something like this?

Any guidance would be appreciated... :rolleyes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: GrinchGrower]
    #27133082 -

Wanting to due a half nute strength agar mix to encourage growth.
I usually buy premix because time is money but here is what I was thinking with the materials I have.

15g agar powder
10g ELME
2g nutritional yeast.
500ml tap water.

This about right? Maybe 1g yeast.


--------------------
Listen, I'm steel fisted with the iron lung
Heavy metal ballads out the guitar where lions run.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: starbones]
    #27133094 -

10g agar for 500ml standard strength

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #27133128 -

:whathesaid: 10g agar for 500ml is the standard. A lot of people are even using 8g per 500ml when starting with spores. I meant to do it on my last batch of agar to test it out but was in a hurry and forgot..next time!

Anyway, I got some APE to germinate from MS syringe on grain soak agar with 8g to 400ml!

  certainly not the best pictures. The second one is looking through a jewelers loop. Can't wait to finally play with this culture!


--------------------



I :heart: 5318008


NOT a virgin!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl]
    #27133148 -

I've been getting by with 7-7.5g per 500ml


--------------------
Mehhh



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl]
    #27133154 -

Now that is a dish pin ๐Ÿ˜‚ should i clone er? I gave up on this culture tbh



--------------------


:sporedrop::aum:Pho's MushiAventures::aum::sporedrop:
:heartpump:My '21 GLOG:heartpump:
:peace: LAGM 2022 :peace:


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Ababyphoenix]
    #27133193 -

You gave up too soon looks like.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 364 | 365 | 366 | 367 | 368 | 369 | 370 | 371 | 372 | 373 | 374 | 375 | 376 | 377 | 378 | 379 | 380 | 381 | 382 | 383 | 384 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 69 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 73 5 10/05/26 03:21 PM
by Yetidude
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,838 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,390 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,007 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,703 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,325 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,939 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,222 topic views. 20 members, 150 guests and 261 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.016 seconds on 16 queries.