Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Cordyceps, Petri Dish, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAbabyphoenix
You
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yes
In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure
    #27057674 - 11/25/20 09:16 PM (4 months, 24 days ago)

In Over My Head Agar,
a novices continued adventure into the world of growing mediums.

Welcome to second glog featuring me (some human) who got very excited to start agar again correctly and didn't realize 4-5 projects turns into a lot of work for someone who's just starting to work with petris and achieve a clean culture. Shout out to C10 for pushing me into the real part of this hobby on my last glog. My goal for this is spores to fruits with each strain so its going to be a lengthy glog. I should've probably split it into different ones but then there's no way I'm keeping up! But none the less I'm a persistent bastard when I'm intrigued with something so here we go.
The main post is less detailed and more of to serve as a quick writeup. More in depth details and individual updates/thoughts in the replies and notes at the bottom as I'm trying to keep the main post from being gigantic

So the easiest way to do this is going to be sections so here they are. Running Projects (Updated 2/5): AA+,  APE,  TC,  Mel,  LPEU (Clone), RW      On Hold or Cut: LPEU Both PE/T Clones 

Albino A+ (AA+)

I started an AA+ germ plate set on some super expensive/terrible Rubbermaid mini dishes for agar just to get going before I had my petris ready. They did the job and I got a couple of transfers from AA+ Germ plate to Petris

Germination Plates: Trash Rubbermaid sorry for the pics. I honestly just spore dumped these. I tried to do some streaking but those containers suck and I remember just pouring them in and tanking what grew fastest and nicest.

Also all the holes in the petris are from D3's Agar tek where you use a leather hole punch.
T1:

T2: 11/25

T3 12/3

12/7

T4

1/2 sent 2 plates to 4x grain jars

2/4 spawned 1 jar to 7 muda bottles inside a still air box g2g style. I made the muda bottles way too full so i couldn't put more grain in them. Im expecting contamination as the jar didn't look 100% (was tipsy and off my game in the SAB on innoc day...) and i put so little spawn in each bottle. I then put the rest of the grain that didn't fit in the 6 bottles and made a novelty grow out of one of my ceramic pieces i made in college.

Im expecting good things out of this one :anticipation:
The other 3 jars looked quite fucked. They are from 1/2's SAB session so not good. Only jars that look bad though!

Treasure Coast (TC)
Again was impatient on the petris and started this through a ship in what would otherwise be used as some sort of LI jar I made, decided it was going to be a germ plate though and man did it get the job done.

Germ: Noticing the way myc avoids the contamination is interesting.

T1  Transfered some of the best looking colonies off the plate a couple of days ago:

T2:

T3 12/7

Albino PE (Ape)

Im really excited to get this one fruiting not only for its renowned potency but I mean come on. Little white dicks that bruise blue, that's just cute as heck :hehehe: I absolutely refused to wait for a germ plate to grow something as Ive heard it takes quite a bit for APE to germinate and to germinate something worth while i wasn't about to dick around, or was i? I decided that instead of using agar for germ plates... why not some prepped grain? Just kidding i did use grain to do this though as its what i had healthy growth on at the moment (waste of resources but saved on SOME time :shrug:) so here's some grain jar colonies on agar of APE. The look good!
Germ:

T1:

PE/T Clones

When I started up again this year, two-quart jars of agar to grain spawn followed me from my last operation a year ago with some spore i revived at the beginning of the lockdown. I spawned them after being well colonized and took clones of the monsters and some clusters that came. Here is their journey. The clones are probably a bust as I didn't know what to look for I was just like "hey a small cluster" chop chop drop drop. God those plates were so slimy. The C+ (chunk clone) is the easily second gen looking fruit that came up.  Hopefully that one will be nice to carry on from.
Germ:
C+ or the chunky clone came from this fruit you can see her surgery scars. :bow2:
Is what the biopsy provided

T1:
Some aggressive recovery if u ask my novice ass.

12/2

12/7

Cloned Cluster from PET
(Scraped) This culture is slow and nothing special, I've decided it doesn't make the cut  :hi: bye
no more agar for you sir.
Germ:

Love to see it going up the walls, idk its just my thing :evil:
T1:

T2

12/3

RustyWhyte(RW)

Germ:

T1:

Very weird cultures in my eyes
T2:
T3:

Melmac(Mel)

Spontaneously obtained a Mel clone plate and expanded it to 6 or so dishes. Pics soon
"Germ":

T1: 12/3

Heres the mel stack not posting all pics

12/7

T2:

4xT2 (really t4) from clone sent to grain 1/1

5x grain jars sent to a pastys ez dialed monotub 1 brick coir 4 quarts boiled water 2 quarts verm bucket tekt 2/1

2/5
Monotub

I wont lie i tried to do a psuedo casing with CV but didn't have enough left so the spots the myc isn't pushing through yeah that's a little bit of a casing, I dont really care enough to case any more of it i think it'll be fine. Gunna have a weird first flush i think. that's ok.

1300+g wet

Shoebox 300+g wet

Leucistic Penis Envy Uncut (LPEU)

Spontaneously obtained a LPEU plate with a monster dish pin :rockon: took a biopsy from it as well as a few transfers.
"Germ":

T1: 12/3

12/7

T2:

T2 from Dish clone so really like t7 or something ridiculous sent to grain 1/1

2/4 4xjars spawned to shoeboxes 1:2 spawn:CV roughly following a few guides but mostly Munch style.

Notes:
12/7 Keeping up to date and adding photos today. Making lots of transfers soon :cheers: We cut out the cluster clone today since it wasn't looking too good compared to some of these beauties. Unlucky buds, sorry. You win some ya lose some but at least I got some experience taking biopsies. Waiting for more dish pins :evil: and my MS -> grain jars to hurry  up and finish so I can get my quart jars back and start prepping my grains for these plates

12/10
I went ahead and expanded that AA+ culture to 6 plates today as well as pulled some nice looking colonies from my RW germ plates ill be posting up here in a few. For two of them I used my 21G needles that showed up in the mail to make a Josex inspired Needle transfer
but instead of going to a brf jar I just used it to transfer to another petri hoping to narrow down genetics and any possible contams. Tried it with a bigger needle with success looking forward to seeing the thinner needles results.

Time to prep more agar plates (a few of my dishes I poured got mold in the stack. I think I accidentally lifted them when I was wrapping them in a stack... wont do that again) and go to the store and buy a ton of shoeboxes for my MS Syringe -> grain jars that are coming around the mountain. :rockon: Thats all for today. :cheers:

1/2/21
Second round of A->Grain jars made up today (AA+ and TC pints). Everything marked 1/2 could be fucked my sterile technique was off point today. Lots of rim shots on the quart rims, AC was on for half the time, fumbling with wedges going to transfer as I get a tech that works for me figured out, and a little tipsy :rolleyes:. So if i get some contams here it was def technique. Otehr than that... nothing to update on. Unloading some more grain jars to get pregnant and Going to do a round of agar transfers soon for ape and RW. 

2/2
We are nearing the end of this log as MEL goes into a monotub and LPEU TC and AA+ are ready for shoeboxes. Ape is taking its time on the grains (who would've guessed). Thats all the cultures i want to fruit out of this grow log. I dropped RW cause its taking a lot more work then expected to get clean looking growth. Pasty himself said it was very tomentose variety and to be honest i haven't been very diligent with that culture. Only on T3. As i start 3 new varieties today my attention will go to those as i start a new log but will keep this one updated as the tubs fruit out. <3

2/4
Working on my diligence (also waiting on new projects to germinate) were taking RW off hold.
I went back to the germination plates with it since all my transfers look pretty thin. If i get the same results here ill just send them to grain and clone hunt as i do remember Pasty saying the culture on agar was not consistent with other myc... I think.
Also took a bunch of dish pin clones from r.Melmac and my PE/T C+ clones. So now i have PE/T C+ C+ lmfao and i hope it gets an A at fruiting time. God that was a terrible joke :gaystapo:

3/4
Im nearin the end of this Glog as i have fruit in hand for all strains except AA+ (spawn jars went bacterial and the ones that didn't went to MudaBottles that are taking FOREVER) and TC which i expanded via G2G and will have in monotubs shortly. And RW... that diligence thing. I need to order more petris and get cracking on some no pours 2.

Edited by Ababyphoenix (03/02/21 11:19 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure [Re: Ababyphoenix] * 1
    #27057694 - 11/25/20 09:28 PM (4 months, 24 days ago)

A lot to unpack here but it sounds like you are seeing the sectors for good transfers. Those more recent transfers will need to grow out a bit more to before trying to transfer from. Try and use the real estate on your plates a bit better so they dont overlap. Like a triangle arrangement.

I think for each variance there are promising points for transfers that you probably already recognize so I would go with those while letting those T2 or T3 transfers develop a bit more.

I would suggest cleaning up on 2-4 more transfers to be super sure as it looks like your technique is pretty solid (not seeing more than 3 or 4 contam satellites) in the T1+ pics.

I think you have the start to some promising plates that deserve to get cleaned up in my opinion.

OfflineAbabyphoenix
You
Male User Gallery

Re: In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #27057702 - 11/25/20 09:35 PM (4 months, 24 days ago)

Thank you! I thought so as well and am super happy to have gotten a bit lucky with some good genetics here on these plates. It's good to hear someone with more experience backing me up! :rockon:

Yeah the plate efficiency isn't all there yet... First time getting into petris and I got a bit excited when I realized I could do 3 pucks per as opposed to being trapped in a pasty. As you can see I think I caught on later with the triangle formation.

as for the promising genetics i should keep going for, id like to discuss if you don't mind pointing out some clock location on some of the plates you'd suggest. If not its all good, that sounds like work tbh.
Im trying not to be picky towards Rhizo because I heard tomentose could be better faster stronger (make the lady sex go longer?)and that it doesn't really make a difference. Trying to develop an eye for what is good and whats great will just take time and practice.

--------------------

:sporedrop:Pho's Mushi Aventures:sporedrop: : First Agar Journey:bow2:  Pho Conquors Agar

:buddha: LAGM2021 :buddha2:

Offlinemadyogi
Stranger
Male

Re: In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure [Re: Ababyphoenix]
    #27057718 - 11/25/20 09:48 PM (4 months, 24 days ago)

Please keep us updated.  I've been using agar plates for a couple of months, and I'm ready to get serious about sectoring, transferring, isolating, etc.

:popcorn:

OfflineAbabyphoenix
You
Male User Gallery

Re: In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure [Re: madyogi]
    #27057722 - 11/25/20 09:52 PM (4 months, 24 days ago)

Itll be my pleasure to keep you all up to date :smile: Keeps me busy and away from other things :evil:

Also if your just getting serious about agar Stros isolation guide helped me out a lot if you haven't given it a read.

--------------------

:sporedrop:Pho's Mushi Aventures:sporedrop: : First Agar Journey:bow2:  Pho Conquors Agar

Offlinebunsie
Stranger

#27058952 - 11/26/20 05:54 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

:threadmonitor:

OfflineDrunkUncle
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure [Re: bunsie]
    #27059328 - 11/26/20 11:37 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

Definitely subbed! I’m at about the same place with agar that you are my dood!

--------------------
OEF Combat Medic & Purple Heart Recipient

“If you get the message, hang up the phone. For psychedelic drugs are simply instruments, like microscopes, telescopes, and telephones. The biologist does not sit with eye permanently glued to the microscope, he goes away and works on what he has seen.”

― Alan Watts

Smartattack said:

I was doing Tai chi while flying through space, took a shit in my shower, removed my face several times with my hands and that was all just the boring part before it really hit me.:eek::eek:

OfflineAbabyphoenix
You
Male User Gallery

#27059794 - 11/27/20 10:45 AM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Nice! I wish i wouldve gotten this serious a year ago when I had your amount of posts. Id be well dug in to say the least by now if I had so congratz man :thumbup:
11/27 and these are the best looking bunch for TC, AA+ and my PET Clone. All looking ready for another transfer.

It turned all my pictures sideways so just go with it.
Definitely looking at the 3 o'clock on B. Nothing else stands out a ton to me. Anyone else?

For TC all of these look promising except B which is only like that because I'm pretty sure I messed up the transfer (cut the puck in half) but all looking good. Less rhizo then on the other plate though. Interesting. I thought I kept my recipe consistent.

9-10 o clock on G and 2-4 on E both look good here. F in chat for my boy F who got contamd

Anyways here's the update pre transfer. Ill probably do them after this post has been up for a while for feedback while I make up some more agar :thumbup:
Thanks for reading :pipesmoke2:

--------------------

Edited by Ababyphoenix (11/27/20 10:57 AM)

OfflineAbabyphoenix
You
Male User Gallery

#27064884 - 11/30/20 05:36 PM (4 months, 19 days ago)

11/30
I went ahead and did the transfers mentioned above.

turned into this :evil:

and now we wait

For TC I also took basically the whole leading edge of 7-10 oclock here as well as the 5-6o clock nice looking area.

Also adding RW, Melmac and LPEU into the mix here because there's not enough already going on, you know? I was lucky enough to get a nice plate to work with for the Mel and LPEU but as for RW we are starting at spores. Just streaked 4 plates and expanded the LPEU and Mel plates to 4-5 other plates. Updating actual glog now and will add pictures when nice growth appears and its time to check for more expansion. Im actually in over my head now if I wasn't before... So many projects already. Time to order some more petris and prep more agar

--------------------

OfflineDrunkUncle

#27064899 - 11/30/20 05:45 PM (4 months, 19 days ago)

I'm in the same boat man, I tossed a bunch of dished today because I was so overwhelmed looking at all the germ plates I had started haha Way too much going on :panic:

--------------------

“If you get the message, hang up the phone. For psychedelic drugs are simply instruments, like microscopes, telescopes, and telephones. The biologist does not sit with eye permanently glued to the microscope, he goes away and works on what he has seen.”

― Alan Watts

Smartattack said:

I was doing Tai chi while flying through space, took a shit in my shower, removed my face several times with my hands and that was all just the boring part before it really hit me.:eek::eek:

OfflineSteeve_irvvin
The culture hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure [Re: DrunkUncle] * 2
    #27065460 - 11/30/20 11:04 PM (4 months, 19 days ago)

It gets outta hand quick 😅 soon you'll have boxes of plates all over the lab

OfflineAbabyphoenix
You
Male User Gallery

#27076760 - 12/07/20 10:55 AM (4 months, 12 days ago)

12/7 Update

I figured id reply with a quick update with my best looking cultures. Im keeping the post up to date best I can with pictures as they go and as I work but wouldn't mind some feedback on these plates so here's a bump.

My Mel transfers are looking good in my opinion, a beautiful wrap/spiral to them as they find there way in this world :smile:

LPEU has some of the tightest growth I've seen yet I'm amazed especially seeing the plate it came from, its acting so different. Need to get these transferred.

My fastest and healthiest looking culture is my AA+ from 11/29 like the rest of these pics yet its considerably larger.

And of course the best looking TC plate still not uniform at T.3 but we'll get there... I didn't germinate the colonies right so more transfers for me. :shrug:

Jesus ok that wasn't the last one my PE C+ clone transfer is looking scrumptious. This will probably go after I take a few from her or ill let her sit around and pin. Seems like clones contrary to my thought arent automatically monocultures they need some cleaning up 2 please correct me if I'm wrong.

also, I'm amazed at what this MS chitwan jar is doing with 1 tiny spec of grain on the side of this jar. It wants out xD

--------------------

Edited by Ababyphoenix (12/07/20 11:01 AM)

OfflineDrunkUncle

#27077331 - 12/07/20 05:42 PM (4 months, 12 days ago)

The AA+ & PE looking great man!

got a few going myself, nothing looking as nice as yours though.

--------------------

― Alan Watts

Smartattack said:

OfflineAbabyphoenix
You
Male User Gallery

Re: In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure [Re: DrunkUncle]
    #27083899 - 12/11/20 02:02 PM (4 months, 8 days ago)

Thanks Drunkle! Im really lucky here i guess. Everythings turning out well and whats not is an amazing learning experience :mushroom2:
12/11
Its transfer day and with all these cultures (and having to set up and break down my whole SAB area since I live with my little one and don't have an uncarpeted room to leave my SAB set up) it's a whole event I have to eat a meal for and everything :grin: But enough complaining here's what I did today so far (12:43pm)
Expanded all my cultures to 3+ plates and saved the LPEU dish pin from its mold roommate.

Heres some transfer shots:

All as well as some APE transfers not pictured. I think all these dishes if my sterile technique is good will be keepers and go to grain or LC (minus RW he's still on T1). It feels good to be working with some nice cultures, my SAB stinks of magic :crazy2:

Overall 5 varieties expanded today heres the finished stacks :rockon:

and have some beauties to take pics of and update yall on. These plates are coming out so nicely I'm super excited! Getting to work on that after i eat and smoke :pipesmoke2:

Edit here's those good lookers:

That APE plate is wild and I like that :rockon:

--------------------

Edited by Ababyphoenix (12/11/20 02:08 PM)

Offlinemadyogi
Stranger
Male

#27084640 - 12/11/20 09:47 PM (4 months, 8 days ago)

My apologies if I'm hijacking your thread here, but I thought I'd put this out here and see what those following along think.  Let me know if you want me to take it elsewhere, and I will.

I'm getting antsy to do some further isolation with this nice-looking Mexi-Cube culture.  This is the first transfer of an original MSS > Agar inoculation.  I'm looking to do 3-4 more transfers to fresh pasty plates tomorrow or Sunday, then put the rest of this plate to a grain jar.

I started planning what I think I'll take, but I'm curious what you guys would do with it.  I have a leather hole punch also.  I've never used it for transfers before, so I'm a little hesitant, but I want to give a go.

Any thoughts?

Edited by madyogi (12/11/20 09:49 PM)

OfflineDrunkUncle

#27084869 - 12/12/20 02:11 AM (4 months, 8 days ago)

dang that melmac is lookin particularly great and that APE is bonkers haha I dig it! nice work mate :thumbsup:

--------------------

― Alan Watts

Smartattack said:

OfflineEgohst
Stranger

Loc: God’s Palm Flag
Re: In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure [Re: DrunkUncle] * 1
    #27084927 - 12/12/20 03:25 AM (4 months, 7 days ago)

I had to post, it’s too late for a pic tonight but I just dove hard this month into:
Cordyceps, lions mane, reishi, shiitake(warm), PE and Gallindoi, plus my cube(pe6,EQ Albino isolate, PF, Cambodian and pan cyan cultures I already had going. I’ve got my degree in science and I almost cried yesterday doing my Agar to agar transfers and A2G transfers. It was like managing an Outback Steakhouse! I’ve gotten really good at transferring and usually I only need one or two plates beyond my print for a decent culture, besides PE that strain is a bitch. I had 10 plates of Gallindoi until yesterday, many went to sclerotia jars.

I feel like I can breathe today finally. I think I only have about 20 plates after getting some on grain. All the cubes I listed I cloned to agar. Couldn’t have gotten my equadorian albino without a bunch of clones to agar. I love seeing hard work! Keep it up!

--------------------
Literally, sever nober!

OfflineAbabyphoenix
You
Male User Gallery

Re: In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure [Re: madyogi]
    #27085202 - 12/12/20 10:04 AM (4 months, 7 days ago)

Quote:

madyogi said:

Any thoughts?

It looks like a good culture considering the pasty pics! Id go ahead and make some transfers, people say at least 3 before u start thinking about grain or LC but its all up to you. If you know you have a clean culture after T.1 then :thumbup:

Also people on the Agar Envy thread are always willing to help with some pointers if you want more inclusive info :smile:

--------------------

Offlinemadyogi
Stranger
Male

#27086018 - 12/12/20 06:08 PM (4 months, 7 days ago)

Sweet, thanks!

Yeah, I got over-ambitious and did 9 transfers from the pasty plate just now.  I did 3 hole punches along the outer edge, three hole punches toward the interior of those edge punches, then three leggy wedges as well.  Then I split the rest of the plate and put it to grain, just because I had some prepped and PC'ed brown rice jars hanging around.

Hopefully my sterile tek is good enough to keep all that clean coming out of one plate, but whatever, it's all an experiment.  Feel free to follow the progress on the journal entry I started (Mexi-Cube Strain Isolation) if you're interested.

That APE plate you've got going is crazy wild.  Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Edited by madyogi (12/12/20 06:11 PM)

Invisiblec10h12n2o
becoming
 User Gallery

Loc: the abyss
Re: In Over My Head Agar -A Novice Agar Adventure [Re: madyogi] * 1
    #27086182 - 12/12/20 07:56 PM (4 months, 7 days ago)

hell yeah man! glad to see you kicking ass :smile:

lookin forward to seeing those what becomes of projects

--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Cordyceps, Petri Dish, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation