Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Seeds of Greatness
    #2486563 - 03/31/04 08:14 AM (20 years, 21 days ago)

Not too long ago...I've ceased my semi-routine activities of watching TV, due to a schedule change, and a general lack of interest that increased as time flows by. I could easilly find something to relate to on daytime tv, I'm sure...but instead I choose to read books and study subjects and indulge in the occasional internet-conversing, bulletinboard posting, and whatnot. And just yesterday..during a vague moment of introspective train of thought..I realized; I feel alot more clear headed and concise lately, and wondered if it was in any way related to the fact that I dont watch TV at all anymore; which speculation is supported by a fact that I've read a fact somewhere a while ago that stated: Your brain is more active during your sleep then it is when you're watching TV. Anyways, just today, I came across some material that striked in surprising accordance to my aforementioned thoughts; as follows.

Television is an extraordinary invention which should greatly improve our lives. Our world has been changed by television. You can turn off the TV set, but you can't turn off television's influence. We have been exposed to a wide variety of cultures and been given insights into life around the globe and in outer space. Television programs bring us athletics, encourage physical fitness, and provide many opportunities for learning about medicine, the arts, economics, local learning opportunities afforded by television programming are unparalleled in the experience of any pre-television generations.

The sad truth, however, is that because of the type of sponsorship necessary to support television in a free market system, very little broadcast time is devoted to stretching our minds, expanding our spirits, and enriching our understanding of ourselves and others. Much of the influence of television is negative. Many programs are dominated by crime, violence, and stereotyped or deviant portrayals of people's lives. A recent study by Harvard University revealed that many adults, as well as children, cannot distinguish between reality and fantasy on television. Children who were interviewed said the things they saw on TV were true because "you can see them actually happening."

Many hospitals have reported patients who requested a doctor whom they had watched on television because that doctor was more familiar with cases like theirs. Every year, TV doctors get thousands of letters from viewers asking for medical advice. When one actor gave a splendid performance as an alcoholic, his wife recieved dozens of letters of advice and sympathy from women who said they were also married to alcoholics.

If adults have this much difficulty distinguishing fantasy from reality, the effect television has on children is cause for real concern. We all learn by observation and imitation. This is especially true with children. They have a tendency to mimic the individuals they use as role models in their lives, and many of their role models are characters from their favorite television programs. Values are also beamed into children via TV, and many are negative or at the very least, out of touch with reality.

Television constanty exposes children and adults to antisocial behavior performed by the incompetent, the uncouth, and the insane. At the other extreme are the superheroes with unnatural strength and superhuman abilities, who are beautiful and handsome. When average individuals compare themselves to their TV heroes, they usually see themselves as inadequate.

According to the A.C. Nielsen Company, the major broadcast ratings firm in the United States, the average amount of time each individual watches television is over twenty-four hours per week. Children average over thirty hours per week in front of what we commonly refer to as "The One-Eyed Babysitter," and they spend more time watching adult programs than children's programs. Preschool children average over four hours per day in front of the TV set and 41 percent are watching between 8:00 and 9:00 P.M. By the time children reach school age they have watched over 20,000 commercials, most of which teach them to consume more and that life's problems can be solved by a certain product in thirty seconds, or less.

We are growing up with television as our "window to the world" and the TV world has become the basis for many of our beliefs and values. By the time we graduate from high school, most of us will have spent 50 percent more time in front of the television set than in the classroom or having quality experiences with our parents and families. We can't really blame the television industry for the situation, because the quality of programming is only a reflection of the character of our families in the American social gene. But let's remember, if a sixty-second commercial, by repeated viewing, can sell us a product, then isn't it possible for a sixty-minute soap opera or "smut-com," by repeated viewing, to sell us a life-style?

Recent studies conducted by a Stanford University research team have revealed that "what we watch" does have an effect on our imaginations, our learning patterns, and our behaviors. First, we are exposed to new behaviors and characters. Next, we learn or acquire these new behaviors. The last and most crucial step is that we adopt these behaviors as our own. One of the most critical aspects of human development that we need to understand is the influence of "repeated viewing" and "repeated verbalizing" in shaping our future. The information goes in, "harmlessly, almost unnoticed," on a daily basis, but we don't react to it until later, when we aren't able to realize the basis for our reactions. In other words, our value system is being formed without any conscious awareness on our part of what is happening!

What if you and I could switch TV channels to one inside of our own head, in which of our minds were cameras instead of recievers? What if we scripted, produced, casted, rehearsed, and broadcast our own programs, and, at the same time, videotaped them for our own enjoyment and for future broadcasts?
Well, we can and we do, every day and night of our lives! and herein lies a secret of success: One of the Best-Kept Secret of Total Success is that our minds can't tell the difference between real experience and one that is vividly and repeatedly imagined.

Understanding this secret of the power to the imagined experience is the fundamental key to understanding human behavior. What you "see" is what you'll get. We perform and behave in life, not in accordance with reality, but in accordance with our perception of reality. Many of our everyday decisions are based upon information about ourselves which has been stored as "truth"--but which is really a combination of hearsay from famy, friends, and peers, actual past experiences, and information we read, listen to, and view on television...

..and so forth.  :smile:

Seeds of Greatness, by Dennis Waitley.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Seeds of Greatness [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2509765 - 04/01/04 07:36 PM (20 years, 19 days ago)

Cool post.

My car radio broke last january and it probably just blew a fuse. It would take five minutes to fix, and I drive about 10+ hours a week. Somehow, its better though that I don't have a constant distraction.

I think tv and music are just that. One more thing to keep you away from the truth. I kindof dislike people who always have to listen to music, it's like George Carlin says of people who walk around with walkmans...Are you so uncomfortable in your thoughts that you must have this?

Yeah, everyone should smash their televisions, destroy their computers, throw away their music, and burn their books. Worthless crap they are!

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Anonymous

#2512537 - 04/01/04 09:40 PM (20 years, 19 days ago)

Ah, TV, the opium of the masses. The problem with TV is not just the programming or the technology. It's both. When you watch TV your brain waves go into the alpha state, a semi-trance state where your subconscious readily accepts information, which is why people are so influenced by it. Even if you're watching TV as consciously as possible, analyzing everything that goes into your mind, your subconscious is still absorbing it. TV is quite possibly the greatest brainwashing device ever invented. No wonder the shows are called programming. In the past 4 years I don't think I've watched more than a few hours of TV. After a while without watching it you don't miss it at all.

I actually have a theory (but I'm sure I'm not the first one who's thought of it) that most modern technology actively makes us anti-social and antagonistic toward people. TV, computers, cell phones-- yes even phones. Instead of bringing people together through long-distance communication, they separate and drive people farther apart. Why go outside your home when you can explore the world and talk to people through the internet? You see, I had a recent experience that confirmed this theory. A few weeks ago I was vacationing on a tropical island in the Caribbean, a third-world country whose economy is driven primarily by tourism. No TV, no computer, and no cell phone for 8 days. I could handle no TV or phone, but no computer? Oh, the horrors! This trip was definitely an eye-opener. Most of the locals are too poor to own a computer. Their way of life is focused on simplicity. There were modern tech toys here and there at the tourist resorts, but the population isn't obsessed with it like Americans are. The way of life there is very laid back. The people are actually in tune with nature, and... they were friendly! You could strike up a conversation with anyone and talk about anything. They wouldn't think you had any sort of agenda. Perfect strangers talked simply for pleasure's sake. Imagine this happening in the USA. Even in the American suburbs people have the "mind your own business" attitude. Anyway, by the end of the trip, I had no problem striking up a conversation with a stranger. I always thought I was a little shy, but I realized this was just a result of my environment. This is why I believe technology drives people apart. I have seen the opposite with my own eyes, and I know a different way of life is possible, where people are in touch with nature and their fellow man.

:smirk: Yeah I just derailed your thread with that tangent, but I thought it was appropriate.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Seeds of Greatness [Re: ]
    #2513739 - 04/01/04 10:42 PM (20 years, 19 days ago)

I disagree with one small point.

Television does NOT encourage physical fitness :wink:

Anyway, I'm sure this device could have been used in much better ways. The technology itself is amazing, but the waste of the technology isn't too thrilling. I'm not denying the benefits of a television, I'm only saying in my point of view, the negatives outweigh the benefits, regarding the USE of the technology, not the technology itself.

I personally don't have one, and haven't watched television in over 6 months.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2513768 - 04/01/04 10:43 PM (20 years, 19 days ago)

I have never looked into how T.V. affects our lives, but I've read different posts on the subject here.

But based on what you wrote, I have a question. Do you think that we limit ourselves in our choices because of T.V.?

I agree with scripting our own T.V. shows. Isn't that kind of like "bespeaking your existence"? Doesn't it tie in with that?

If you want to achieve a certain thing, wouldn't you want to script a T.V. show in your head, showing yourself taking the steps you need to take, showing your future success?

On another note, I think T.V. is crap. I have watched a little T.V. lately, because I joined a gym, and they have T.V.s running at the running thing and the bicycles. What a bunch of crap. I can't believe people watch that crap!

Those shows are supposed to depict our lives??? Do people really talk like that??? Act like that??? Mwahahaha!!!!! Shut the phucking T.V. off and go live life! Holy phuck I can't believe people watch that crap. I can't call it "crap" enough. Holy shit.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Seeds of Greatness [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2516716 - 04/02/04 12:50 AM (20 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

SpecialEd said:
Yeah, everyone should smash their televisions, destroy their computers, throw away their music, and burn their books.  Worthless crap they are!

:lol: ... throw away... music?... m-mm-muusic..... Error: Does Not Compute, Does Not Compute. :wink:

Television is noise, my god. When I wake up in the morning I won't eat downstairs because the kid will be watching television. Especially in the morning, god, I don't need to start my day off with that shit. So I bring my bowl up here and put on... some music! :grin:

It is funny too because most of everything on television isn't exactly quality programming. I feel myself getting dumber watching it. hehehe

As for music, it doesn't keep me away from the "truth", I find truth in it. :wink:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2517923 - 04/02/04 03:21 AM (20 years, 19 days ago)

I agree, with or without cable, with of without a sattelite dish... everything shown on tv is just static.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

User Gallery

Re: Seeds of Greatness [Re: Frog]
    #2518020 - 04/02/04 05:04 AM (20 years, 19 days ago)

Do you think that we limit ourselves in our choices because of T.V.?

and herein lies a secret of success: One of the Best-Kept Secret of Total Success is that our minds can't tell the difference between real experience and one that is vividly and repeatedly imagined.

Understanding this secret of the power to the imagined experience is the fundamental key to understanding human behavior. What you "see" is what you'll get. We perform and behave in life, not in accordance with reality, but in accordance with our perception of reality. Many of our everyday decisions are based upon information about ourselves which has been stored as "truth"--but which is really a combination of hearsay from famy, friends, and peers, actual past experiences, and information we read, listen to, and view on television...

Notice the Bold. So in regards to your question:
Simply put;
I believe one who sits and watches "Married with Children" re-runs all the time, Negative News on CNN, Violence and drama shows, etc., will be at a serious psychological disadvantage as opposed to someone who indulges their Alpha-state-absorbing-subconscious mind into programming that is strictly all about psychological-power-building and super-positivity and enlightening wisdom; or instead reads books by that same token.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2518133 - 04/02/04 07:02 AM (20 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

SkorpivoMusterion said:
I believe one who sits and watches "Married with Children" re-runs all the time, Negative News on CNN, Violence and drama shows, etc., will be at a serious psychological disadvantage as opposed to someone who indulges their  Alpha-state-absorbing-subconscious mind into programming that is strictly all about psychological-power-building and super-positivity and enlightening wisdom; or instead reads books by that same token.

Which is why I listen to Borknagar instead of Limp Bizkit. :lol:
:lol:
:lol:

Hehe, couldn't help that. :grin:

We are continously building ourselves and adjusting who we are by the new moments and what occurs and what our take is on these new moments based on the previous moments.

To someone who doesn't have a decent understanding of what is, television has the potential to really mess someone up. :wink: Especially if a lot of their experience in a day is being exposed to it. It is a powerful tool for learning, especially with young children.... just like guns are a powerful tool for hunting animals for food. :smirk:

Seriously, television is very dangerous for people that don't know how to use it..... and it doesn't put out anything of much worth anyways. hehe

'Cept for the Simpsons, of course.  :laugh:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

User Gallery

Re: Seeds of Greatness [Re: ]
    #2518273 - 04/02/04 08:28 AM (20 years, 19 days ago)

I actually have a theory (but I'm sure I'm not the first one who's thought of it) that most modern technology actively makes us anti-social and antagonistic toward people. TV, computers, cell phones-- yes even phones. Instead of bringing people together through long-distance communication, they separate and drive people farther apart. Why go outside your home when you can explore the world and talk to people through the internet?

:wink:

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2518312 - 04/02/04 08:44 AM (20 years, 19 days ago)

"When i got depressed, i used to go home and clean my condo."

--------------------
What?

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Seeds of Greatness [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2519345 - 04/02/04 03:09 PM (20 years, 18 days ago)

you're all just a bunch of sell-outs

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Seeds of Greatness [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2519368 - 04/02/04 03:16 PM (20 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
you're all just a bunch of sell-outs

... says the man who skipped town..... :grin:

Welcome back brotha!  :laugh:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleMr_Gubjet

Loc: Infinitus Kosmos
    #2520223 - 04/02/04 09:47 PM (20 years, 18 days ago)

I loath TV. Its evil.

Throw away your TV.

Thank you.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale