Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst
Son of the LordGod Almighty

Loc: Vatican City
Technology to Assist in Psychedelic Revelations?
    #1489677 - 04/24/03 03:51 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What meaning do the hallucinations one experiences on psychedelic drugs have? Some think that psychedelics hold the secrets of the universe. Many believe that these drugs can lead us to great personal insights. There are, of course, those who say that there is really nothing there but pretty colors and patterns. Because the drugs that produce these effects also often prevent solid memories of the events to be formed, it can be difficult to remember or descern exactly what one experianced. New advancements in neural prosthetics may help bring clarity to these out-of-this-world trips.

An artificial hippocampus , the part of the brain believed to be responsible for creating and storing memories, will soon be tested on rats and, hopefully, eventually on humans. While this research currently focuses on repairing brain fucntion in those who suffer damage from diesese or injury, there are many possible (im)practical uses for this technology.

With a prosthetic hippocampus, it may be possible to have selective ultra-photographic memory, a complete record of every sensory input. One could speculate that we may be able to copy and transfer these memories to others, to share our exact experiances. This could lead to such developments as learning systems like those in The Matrix- where once could learn complex subjects that would take years of traditional study in mere seconds - or absolute memory recording and playback systems similar to those featured in Strange Days.

This absolute memory capability would be a powerful tool for exploring the depths of the psychedelic experiance. For once, psychonauts would be able to bring back complete recordings of their voyages and share their trip in a much more concrete fashion than current Trip Reports allow. We would finally be able to map out these drug manifested worlds.

Despite fears of technology encroachin on our personal bodies, these advancements could help lead to what ever great revelations that psychedelics might contain.

What do you think?

jssmthrfkcnchrst

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: Technology to Assist in Psychedelic Revelations? [Re: JssMthrFcknChrst]
    #1489782 - 04/24/03 04:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

We know little about the brain so I don't think an artifical part of the brain would even work.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1489832 - 04/24/03 04:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting stuff :smile:

they're probably going to be putting microchips into people in the future soon - they might as well wire our hippocampus up to a network so they can steal all of our memories :wink:

man if they start really figuring this shit out I'm gunna be spooked...... imagine the possibilities with brain-enhancement-implants... >shudder<

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Technology to Assist in Psychedelic Revelations? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1489881 - 04/24/03 04:34 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

actually, the hippocampus is responsible for Encoding our memories for storage.

we know this machine works in rats, but we do not know where exactly the memory is stored..

it seems to be holographic in nature, being that a rat with 90% of it's brain removed still remembers how to navigate the maze.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Technology to Assist in Psychedelic Revelations? [Re: Middleman]
    #1489993 - 04/24/03 05:06 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

but does it remember how to fuck, sleep, eat, scratch its ass, and do everything else it used to know?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
    #1491293 - 04/24/03 11:56 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wow. The ethical issues of cybernetics (and cloning) are scary for me in a way. Don't know quite what to think... I guess it's time for a pardigm shift...that should be interesting.

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Technology to Assist in Psychedelic Revelations? [Re: buttonion]
    #1491561 - 04/25/03 01:44 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'm gonna rub two sticks together in front of these cyber brain people and make fire, and then I'm going to tear off my loin cloth and run into the woods where I'll set fire to.. anything, and then I'll act even weirder and they'll be like "maybe we're missing out on something?" Of course, they wouldn't be, but I'd sow the seeds of doubt.

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
Re: Technology to Assist in Psychedelic Revelations? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1494010 - 04/25/03 06:59 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i like not being able to explane if full detial what happened on my trips...i remember, and could go on and on about the detiles on what i saw and so on...but it would get boring...

i like having my speical things that only i see...

i wonder if they could turn that into some form of drug test??

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: Technology to Assist in Psychedelic Revelations? [Re: soylent_green]
    #1495755 - 04/26/03 01:53 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i like having my speical things that only i see...

So do paranoid scizophrenics, (well, some of them)...

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Technology to Assist in Psychedelic Revelations? [Re: Middleman]
    #1495907 - 04/26/03 02:56 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

soundmind: it seems to be holographic in nature, being that a rat with 90% of it's brain removed still remembers how to navigate the maze.

It's not holographic, it's more like a "parallel distributed processor."
Don't confuse the two.

(and the rat brain thing... it's called "ablation")

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology