Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

The Passion of Christ
    #2376811 - 02/25/04 05:31 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well, i've been hearing a lot about this movie but unfortunately it won't be released here in Finland for a few weeks (i suspect).

has anyone watched it yet? If so, what are your reviews on the movie? was mel gibson able to depict the last 12 hrs of Christ correctly (in the Biblical and historical sense)?

it got me thinking about the movie...so i did a bit of background reading on why mel gibson made it. apparently his main message is to try and renew people's faith in God and to make those who once "forgot" to "remember" again. I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the Catholic religion at all or about Virgin Mary apparitions...but in the early 1900s, the Virgin Mary had appeared to 3 children in Fatima, Portugal. The Virgin Mary had given "predictions" to these children, from the prediction of ww2, the attempted assasination of the head of the Catholic church (against pope john paul 2 in 1981) to the start of ww3. Now if i remember correctly, the Virgin Mary had said that in order to stop ww3 from happening, people must have renewed faith in the Church and to believe once again in God.

Could it be possible that Mel Gibson had released this movie in conjunction with the points Our Lady of Fatima had made? Could it be that the Catholic Church had secretly appointed him (since he is a devout Catholic who's famous around the world and can get ppl to listen to him so to speak) to make this movie to try and have people renew their faith in whatever religion they're in?

Thoughts appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: boO]
    #2377018 - 02/25/04 07:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thats a interesting thought..
I will probally go see it soon, I have always liked the story of Christ.
I usually come down pretty hard on the Catholic church but recently some one made me finally see there point of view a little better..

I think this Anti-semite stuff is bullshit though..
I mean the Jews, the Romans, and the Christians were all responsible for Jesus death and you dont here Italians calling foul.
I know its deeper than that, but still I dont get it... Plus Gibson says one of its points is to show that each Christian is resposible for Christs death, for he was there king not the jews..

This reminds me last night I saw a show about American Christian Zionists who are taking IMO bad intrpretations of the bible and speaking out against peace if it involves giving up ANY of Israel to Palestine, Because God gave it to them for ever..these Zionists and people who are leaning that way are actually pushing some political wieght back here in America.

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #2377214 - 02/25/04 08:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm going to see it saturday.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: shaggy101]
    #2377240 - 02/25/04 09:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

" Christians"

Um, dude - Christians didn't exist then ;-)

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: chinacat72]
    #2377247 - 02/25/04 09:03 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm afraid to see it from what i've herd... :blush:

Really, it sounds so graphic, i'm realy not motivated  to see it.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: valour]
    #2377257 - 02/25/04 09:06 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

What do you mean? there were followers of christ, what else would you call them??

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: shaggy101]
    #2377286 - 02/25/04 09:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

They still called themselves Jews at the time. Jesus was a Jew.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: trendal]
    #2377370 - 02/25/04 09:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'll have to see it, I always like a good fiction movie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

Offlinethe free thinker
salesman
Male User Gallery

Loc: twin cities
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Cubieman420]
    #2381371 - 02/26/04 09:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cubieman420 said:
I'll have to see it, I always like a good fiction movie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL.  I feel the same way.

--------------------

Invisibleneverwhere
Fenway Faithful

Loc: Boston
    #2387373 - 02/28/04 08:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I happened to see it today, just a few hours ago, and all I can say is WOW. I'm technically a Catholic...that's what I was "born" as, but I've never really practiced religion. My dad did not believe in an organized religion, so he never forced church or anything upon us. So I went into this not knowing the whole story, and also not really being a true believer. I guess I'm agnostic.

Wow. I'm still a little shellshocked from the whole thing. I'm not usually very emotional but I'll admit to sobbing from nearly start to finish.

From what I know of the story of Jesus, the movie is very accurate. It depicts Jesus from his moment of betrayal by Judas, to his resurrection. It was also a very well made movie. I was relieved to hear a Jesus that didn't speak english.

As for the whole debate about it being anti-semitic, or hateful, thats a load of shit. Yes, it does point to the Jews blaming him of blasphemy, and it shows them being the ones to bring him to Pontius Pilate, but so what? Please, someone who knows more than I on this, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how the story goes? He was persecuted by his peers, who would be his fellow Jews, right?

Remember, SOMEONE had to do this to him, otherwise the legend would not go as it did, and your blessed religions would be all different. Everyone, Jews, Romans, and what have you, played the role they needed to do, and getting all offended about it is just plain silly. The guards who led him to Golgotha and whipped him all the while were speaking Italian. I don't feel that my people were attacked. I didn't get a feeling of blame or hatred from watching this movie. If anything, it made me want to love more.

I think alot of what's getting under people's skin is the graphic violence. The Jews, or anyone involved in the story, don't want to believe that their ancestors are capable of being so brutal. I think believers are very naive if they don't think that this movie is an accurate portrayal of his death. No one wants to admit how brutal a crucifixion death would be. No one wants to see their faults pointed out, and I think this movie points out the faults of humanity, period.

IF the story of Jesus is true, then his suffering would be extreme, and this movie shows that. The whole whipping, thorn of crowns, etc etc. It's all shown, no dancing around the subject. People just want to say "Oh yes, he was crucified for our sins, now lets all worship and feel guilt the rest of our lives." Sorry, but lets be realistic. There wouldnt be a clean, easy, death.

He would have been horribly brutalized, and I think it's good that there is a movie that finally points that out.  I think the fact that it does point it out would renew some faith. People get wrapped up in organzied religions, that they forget the moral of the story. They forget that Jesus was treated like shit, and tortured, but yet he loved all the while. Seeing his suffering makes you think about the way you treat other people. I think the movie was more about Jesus himself, and how he loved until the very end, when he even prayed for those who strung him up, because they know not what they do. Where's the hatred in that? People need to stop thinking about themselves for 5 minutes. It's not pointing the finger at anyone. It's reminding people of hte man himself.

I think people take religion for granted, or they misuse it. I definately didn't run to church or anything after seeing it, but it has changed me somewhat. I believe at the very least that Jesus is a wonderful role model. If his story is true, he was an amazing man who got screwed. He loved and accepted everyone, even while they were killing him. I bet if he were alive today, he'd be a shroomerite  :wink:

boO, your theory on being hired by the church is quite interesting. If anything, it certainly is taking the attention away from the child raping asshole scandal, and for that I'm sure the church is VERY greatful.

I think regardless of what you believe, you should go see this movie. It is VERY bloody, and it's definately not the feel good comedy of the year. But it will make you think. And it just might make you love the obnoxious person behind you who feels the need to kick your seat the entire time, while talking on a cell phone  :loveeyes:

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: neverwhere]
    #2387396 - 02/28/04 08:19 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You makin me want to see it

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: neverwhere]
    #2388828 - 02/29/04 12:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how the story goes? He was persecuted by his peers, who would be his fellow Jews, right?"

No your not wrong at all!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2389097 - 02/29/04 02:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

the violence wasent THAT bad.... Ive seen worse .. I think the worst part was the nails in the hands(in reality they put the nails through the wrist, CMON mel!), and when the glass shards stuck in his side and the soldier ripped it loose.

I think society today is numb to violence,myself included.. they dont realize how much it would actually hurt to feel that, because they have never felt that level of pain before.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2389137 - 02/29/04 05:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

2Experimental said:
the violence wasent THAT bad.... Ive seen worse .. I think the worst part was the nails in the hands(in reality they put the nails through the wrist, CMON mel

They still dont actually know what was done. Supporting ropes and the foot rest would make the palms plausible.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: d33p]
    #2389301 - 02/29/04 07:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i saw it the morning it came out and feel very much the same way. if any movie will make you cry, this one will. It was dead silence whne people were exiting the movie. The movie will make you feel like an asshole for all the shit you have done. I was raised in a Baptist familly that is typical of the south and is pretty closedminded to everything and very conservative. That being so i came to hate organized religion during highschool and started experimenting with drugs and questioning everything. Since then ive become very spiritual and love philosophy, Bhuddhism, Hinduism, and basicaly any religion.

I guess you could call me a free thinker since i dont really follow one religion...i follow them all. I love jesus and i love the bible. But i also love Mohommed,Bhuddha, Meher Baba....ect.

The movie is very accurate if you read the bible. As for the nails in the hands...they had his arms ties and a footrest thing...the others were nailed on the wrists...Jesus's nailings on the hands was symbolic because he used to heal people with them and if im not mistaken is the location of some chakras....not the main ones but im pretty sure jesus studied some hinduism and incorperated some concepts in what he taught.

good as movie tho....makes you want to love everyone. It pisses me off how people dont live by the golden rule these days...that is one of my only requirements for me to like someone is for them to follow that rule. I may not like someone ... but i can still love them...and i dont HATE anything whatsoever...cept for ignorence....ANYTHING bad is only a result of some type of ignorence..therefore it is the only thing worth hating.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #2389503 - 02/29/04 08:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I am going to bring a date to this movie. That way when the horrific scenes come up, she will surely want someone to hold her!

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #2389578 - 02/29/04 09:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

the whole movie is one big horrific scene

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Vulture]
    #2389604 - 02/29/04 09:19 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Boo's original theory reminded me of a bit from The Brothers Karamazov. Anyhow, I don't usually get into the philsophy or god stuff but what you said about the golden rule rings true for me too.

OfflineMarshmallow
Stranger

#2389746 - 02/29/04 10:09 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I myself really want to see it and plan to this weekend i dont really practice religion but this movie is one that i feel is a powerful movie from just what i have heard and i believe taht people are outting to much criticism on a movie that from what i have read and heard is almost 100% accurate. I think that people are afraid that the movie will teach people something other than what they want the world to believe and they are not against it for violence or the wrongfullness of blaming the jewish people but rather the fact that this movie could contridict what they have learned and or taught themselves

--------------------
Acosta: [singing] Let's give the boy a lift. Raoul Duke: What? No! We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: d33p]
    #2390600 - 03/01/04 09:09 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

d33p said:
Quote:

2Experimental said:
the violence wasent THAT bad.... Ive seen worse .. I think the worst part was the nails in the hands(in reality they put the nails through the wrist, CMON mel

They still dont actually know what was done. Supporting ropes and the foot rest would make the palms plausible.

aah, but the wrists would certainly hurt much much much more. no fucking doubt. the whole concept was to torture the guy. in fact, the very term crucify means "to torture".

considering that the sole intention was torture and that the romans were accomplished experts in that very field i would have to guess that he got the nails in the wrists. i haven't seen the movie so tell me... how big were the nails. the nails historians have collected from this time perios were equivalent to today's railroad spikes.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder