Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #6153399 - 10/10/06 08:35 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

but then we stop believing in Santa and the boogeyman because we realize they cannot possibly exist. It's called growing up.

The delusion is that not believing in Santa will bring you closer to the truth. You can't prove that, no one can!

Quote:

That is like me saying you don't understand how a 3rd level Fireball spell works. We could argue all day and night, but in reality, there is no such thing as a fireball spell... It's just part of a game Gary Gygax created.

A miracle is an event that defies logic. Logic itself may be flawed, as it is only a trick we use to try understand the cosmos. Perhaps logic doesn't lead to the ultimate truth.

The thing you cling onto may not be true.

Thats one of the messages of the video and it is my message to you. The universe's true nature may defy logic.

Quote:

It's the absurd belief in magic and superstition I don't like.

It creeps you out that people can believe stuff without logical basis. But perhaps is logic no better, and only seem better because it's the #1 world religion, successor of the Christian church.

Quote:

Why do you need to believe in fairy tales to be kind to other humans?

I don't think people should believe certain stuff, but christians etc think otherwise.

Quote:

It's just part of a game Gary Gygax created.

Did he now, or did D&D manifest itself through him? :wink:

Think outside the box, whether it's the Jesus box or the Einstein box.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Asante]
    #6153418 - 10/10/06 08:48 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The thing you cling onto may not be true.

Right back at ya! :smile:

I'm done with this nonsense...

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Asante]
    #6153429 - 10/10/06 08:52 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

You misunderstand how miracles work.

Please explain how they work, how many you have seen, and what they were like.

and..
There is nothing wrong with logic, seriously, logic has served us pretty well, I dont like the idea that rational thinking has to be anal, and rigid, (no pun :wink: )

Philosophy embraces logic beautifully at times, and where it does, we have some of the best works of philosophy.

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (10/10/06 08:56 AM)

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: notapillow]
    #6153488 - 10/10/06 09:24 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

notapillow said:
no he litteraly dosent. he just says mormons. christians. muslims. and jews. all belive in fairy tails and are therefor not "normal" and need this guys help to break free

well, he's absolutely 100% right. you can delude yourself into believing these fairytales. or

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #6153794 - 10/10/06 11:11 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

he is definetly not %100
i dont care what you religious backround is. this video is pure retardation. this uses ms paint to explain why the entire world is fucked up exept for him. delusion is something that goes much deeper than religion.
if you havent actualy sat and watched it you have no idea how horrid it is. this guy offers no advis. no new ideas. no isite. he also refers to the listener as "normal people like you and me" how dumb do you have to be to fall into this little pit. this is just more delusion stacked ontop of delusion. no clerity is reached anywhere in this video. and the really gay thing is he dosent even insult the people he says are delusinal. he makes it seem like he is saving them. like he is a new "savior" exept all he does is make pissy little you tube vides in his moms old sewing room. if you want to help change people and the world. good. but this is just some fat ass trying to make himself feel wuved. not worth anyones time

--------------------

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

#6153864 - 10/10/06 11:32 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

unfortunatly this guy knows nothing of true reality. he only knows tht "religion is bad" and thats all hes saying.

you cannot cure sociotys ills by washing people of there own individual belifes. truth comes from unerstanding.

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#6153879 - 10/10/06 11:35 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

This guy's whole video is a weak argument. Seriously. What a fucking jackoff.

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: DNKYD]
    #6153887 - 10/10/06 11:37 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

finnaly some one else actualy watched it. you cant explain the world with drawings of stick figures and bubbles :shake:

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#6153897 - 10/10/06 11:40 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I can present a much stronger argument while talking in my sleep.

With that said I'll leave this thread with this:

Men are not created in the image of gods. Gods are created in the image of men, by the hands of men, through the pens of men.

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: DNKYD]
    #6153908 - 10/10/06 11:42 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

there ya go! you just kicked that shit out of that fat asses argument.

--------------------

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Fare Thee Well.
    #6153911 - 10/10/06 11:43 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Wow. The God-haters now have their own Michael Moore. :thumbup:

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #6153924 - 10/10/06 11:51 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

This video is the best ive seen. It compares the stunning similarities of religions.They are all pretty much the same story.Sometimes word for word.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6410112404402873027&q=the+naked+truth

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6153940 - 10/10/06 11:57 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
Well no offence, but that sounds about right.
They do belive in fairy tales, and things that probally didnt happen.

So?, whats wrong with saying it??

I suppose he made the point in an very insulting fashion maybe?
But calling their beliefs silly is pretty reasonable.
They are silly.

I cant remember exactly how many, but well over half of the American public really belives the story of Noahs ark, not to mention other silly shit......
BTW I just found this, its interesting  :smirk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGceAojHR6o

Shit I believe the story of Noah's ark and I'm not religious.  Well, perhaps not Noah's ark so to speak, but over 20 religions have a flood story, as a matter of fact it was the first story ever written that we as humans are aware of (From the Epic of Gilgamesh).  That's not the only story that repeats itself many times in multiple texts and religions.  Sure, maybe the stories are meant as a message and not as truth, but who can say for sure?  Is anyone smart enough to argue against 3500+ years of all mankind?

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

OfflineSilentG
Stranger thanfiction

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6154023 - 10/10/06 12:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
Quote:

every major religion carries with it a large number of the world's greatest philosophers and thinkers.

Well I have to disagree, most western religons dont carry great thinkers and philosophers, and if they do, please explain who they are, because unless you are talking about the fact that some inventors and founding fathers of America were religious, then I dont see what you are talking about, unless of course you are talking about eastern religion, then there are plenty of philosophers that were interested in some of the ideas of major relgions.

Many of the historical Western philosophers considered themselves Christians. I am not as aware of the contemporary philosophers, but Descartes, Pascal (bleh, wager = bad contribution), Martin Buber, Rudolf Otto, William Paley, Tolstoy, and NUMEROUS others if you want me to consult philosophy texts.

Virtually all of the romantic poets (BLAKE!!! Wordsworth, Yeats, Shelley) considered themselves to be Christians, albeit at odds with the traditional church.

Many of the age of reason and postmodern world's greatest scientists were advocates of faith and religion as well. The poster child here is Einstein. Now how you gonna make a comment about science being the only reality when Einstein was among the faithful?

In the Western tradition you also have all of the numerologists that believe in Kabballah (sp?), as well as the ancient Western beliefs of the pythagoreans, and Plato's (and also neo-platonists) ideas regarding a higher realm which is more real than our own filled with the real forms upon which everything we experience is based.

To say that Western religion didn't benefit philosophy is as ridiculous as saying Western religion didn't also harm the advancement of ideas at times.

It's startling how many people are making ludicrous blanket comments that either diss or revere religion without considering the flip-side. I'm amazed at how simple some of yall want to make the world.

Ex. Science is completely right in all ways. Religion/faith is completely wrong in all ways. WTF guys? Read a book or two before you unleash your ignorance on an unsuspecting public.

--------------------
Yes, I could go drive somewhere everytime the urge to defecate hits, but...where's the fun in that.
-Moth

OfflineSilentG
Stranger thanfiction

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: SilentG]
    #6154028 - 10/10/06 12:29 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I hate dogmatic fundamentalism a little less than dogmatic atheism now. Congrats yall!

Er, on second thought it's hard to surpass murdering doctors in the name of pro-life, so I'll go back to calling it a tie.

--------------------
Yes, I could go drive somewhere everytime the urge to defecate hits, but...where's the fun in that.
-Moth

Edited by SilentG (10/10/06 12:30 PM)

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Fare Thee Well.
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Jadian]
    #6154040 - 10/10/06 12:31 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

There's a lot of people who say that, for instance, because flood stories appear in pre-Biblical historic records, that the Bible must have lifted the story for its own purposes. That is understandable, but a flawed logic chain nonetheless. If your mom teaches that stoves are hot, and then I say stoves are hot later, does that make my statement invalid?

To me, the conformity between religions, indicates that relativism is false, that there is one version only of truth, and that various people of faith noticed this long ago. Compare it to science - Carnot did his work before the 2nd law of thermodynamics was 'discovered', and yet he uncovered much of it. The 2nd law is Truth - but without having known the 2nd law, Carnot was able to understand much about caloric energy transfer.

Scientific evidence proves that nothing can move faster than the speed of light and that the speed of light is constant. Light emitted from a source will be measured as moving at the same speed by all observers regardless of the motion of the observer. While that seems counter-intuitive, a deeper understanding of what is really going on makes it absolutely logical.

I think history bears out the fact that assuming that what one's senses tell them is a good basis for making decisions about what is going on, is not always a good idea. Assuming there is no God because you can't see him or hear him is as absurd as assuming there is no air because you can't see or hear it.

Offlineforfucksake
born under punches
 User Gallery
Loc: lonesome crowded west
    #6154119 - 10/10/06 12:50 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i watched the video last night, and just now read some, but not all of the posts about it.
while i agreed with the video's presentation of bubbles of delusion,
it was doing no better in suggesting that everybody be "normal" and see these religions as jokes.
the video is just someone's opinion about something, just like all religion is.
i'm not in favor of organized religion, but i do believe in some kind of higher power.
any kind of religious fundamentalism is crazy bullshit, but no one has the right to ridicule someone else's casual beliefs.
everyone is going to believe what they want to believe, and i think it would be a better world if we all, if not respect each other's beliefs, ACCEPT that everyone has their own opinion about the "big questions" in life, and everyone has the right to their own opinion.
-peace

--------------------
Loki said:
yes, morning wood wakes you with a start, and bus and train trips are no longer fun for quite a while
---
alakona said:
i like giving head because i like cock in my throat.

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: forfucksake]
    #6154204 - 10/10/06 01:10 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Well, athiests don't go to the government to get TV, movies and radio shows censored. Athiests don't use suicide bombers or murder based on their beliefs. Athiests also do not use their beliefs to warp or brainwash the masses into magical thinking. Athiests do not infiltrate politics to forward their own warped morality onto others. Athiests do not make global decisions based on fairytale gods, like our own fundamentalist ASSHOLE president.

We just go through life, trying to deal with the FUCKING MESS religious people make. Religion is fine, but KEPP IT IN YOUR HOUSE, YOUR SCHOOLS and YOUR CHURCH/RAPE ROOM. Keep me out of it.

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

#6154219 - 10/10/06 01:12 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
Athiests also do not use their beliefs to warp or brainwash the masses into magical thinking.

that one did :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#6154220 - 10/10/06 01:12 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

No, keep it out of the schools. And keep their morality out of our legislation (i.e: drug use, gambling, same-sex marriage)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order