Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
OfflineSilentG
Stranger thanfiction

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #6157760 - 10/11/06 11:22 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Rooster Cogburn you seem more and more like the Pat Robertson of atheism (which is funny because you initially declared yourself an "ignostic" which I took to mean agnostic which is as far from atheism as it is from any other religion).

I think Doctor Gonzo said it well: "All religious arguments feed on the universal ignorance of man. This thread is nothing more than a pointless quarrel and not one of us is more knowledgeable of the truth then the next guy."

Atheism is for all practical intents as much a religion as those that believe in God. Religions are made of people who run the whole gammut of morality.

I would agree though that pushing a young child towards any one faith or lack thereof ought to be criminal. Even "voluntary" prayer in school often makes a big social impact. Not allowing a moment of silent free time is a bit excessive though, assuming there is no congregating or anything like that.

--------------------
Yes, I could go drive somewhere everytime the urge to defecate hits, but...where's the fun in that.
-Moth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6157764 - 10/11/06 11:25 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I don't understand how atheists can bitch about religious folks proselytizing, yet release crap like this. It's no different than trying to convert someone to Christianity. If you found some guy preaching the gospel and trying to win over converts, I bet you would have a completely different outlook on the matter. Don't let your bias blind you; the situation is the same.

Btw, just to add to the list of Christian philosophers, Thomas More was a good one as well.

Just as an aside, I am a atheist. I wouldn't want anyone to get mixed up.

OfflineAjna4201
DidgeridooExtraordinaire
Male

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: SilentG]
    #6157828 - 10/11/06 11:44 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

The Life of Pi is a great book which is basically a metaphor for the idea that we should choose the point of view that gives us the most peace. People like Rooster would argue that there is only one answer to the idea of what we call life. The book implies that this is not the case. Obviously I agree. Our version of reality is created by our minds.

You can argue about it all you want, but the fact of the matter is that it won't matter to me when we're both dead, one way or the other. But at least a spiritual person has something to look forward to in death; and why should they give that up? Why would a spiritual person allow a naysayer to diminish the reality he or she chooses just because that person doesn't have the same view?

Why would you try to push your views on others in such an arrogant way?

Your organized anti-religion is just as bad as organized religion.
The only difference being that spiritual people have an
extended/higher state that they strive to achieve in this life and the next...

And if life ends when our bodies stop functioning, and there is nothing after that. Who the fuck is gonna know anyway? I'm not going to be disappointed.

--------------------

Edited by Ajna4201 (10/11/06 11:48 AM)

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#6158514 - 10/11/06 02:19 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
Look.... It has NOTHING to do with limiting your freedom of expression. It has everything to do with keeping RELIGIOUS stuff out of PUBLIC school. What if 10 christian kids try to use the same room as 10 muslim kids? What happens when the lone buddhist kid gets ridiculed by the "good" christian boys?

I don't see how this disproves my point that there are limits on freedom of expression that are pushed for non-religious purposes.

You claimed that religion is responsible for all limits on freedom of speech, and I clearly disproved that.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #6159534 - 10/11/06 07:31 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
I think you would be a good, mature person regardless. It's not catholic school that made you that way, or else EVERYONE who went to catholic school would be similar...

Or maybe Catholic schools differ from one another, just like public schools.

Quote:

That's obviously not true seeing the rampant child abuse scandal among catholic churches.

Catholic churches are not Catholic schools, and I know of no Catholic school teachers who have been implicated in the abuse scandal.

Quote:

There is no "light of christ" in your heart, you are just a nice human!

Thanks, but the light of Christ is not about being nice. It's about seeing the light.

--------------------

Invisibledoctor_gonzo
Go fuckyourselves SanDiego...
Male

Loc: Colorado
    #6159785 - 10/11/06 08:38 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SilentG said:
Rooster Cogburn you seem more and more like the Pat Robertson of atheism (which is funny because you initially declared yourself an "ignostic" which I took to mean agnostic which is as far from atheism as it is from any other religion).

I think Doctor Gonzo said it well: "All religious arguments feed on the universal ignorance of man. This thread is nothing more than a pointless quarrel and not one of us is more knowledgeable of the truth then the next guy."

Atheism is for all practical intents as much a religion as those that believe in God. Religions are made of people who run the whole gammut of morality.

I would agree though that pushing a young child towards any one faith or lack thereof ought to be criminal. Even "voluntary" prayer in school often makes a big social impact. Not allowing a moment of silent free time is a bit excessive though, assuming there is no congregating or anything like that.

I agree with SilentG, if only because the fact that he didn't contradict me and still managed to reiterate his own personal opinion that fit perfectly into this discussion.

--------------------
"You're a fully grown man! Of course you don't wanna
hold her hand, you wanna dick her!"
-Grace Slick's
response to The Beatles' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

-This pic thanks to aNeway2sayHooray

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Redstorm]
    #6161090 - 10/12/06 05:52 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

REDSTORM said:
Just as an aside, I am a atheist. I wouldn't want anyone to get mixed up.

Yup RoosterC, you'll find the rights of Christians protected here even in their absence. There's just no easy scorin' here, we're not your average drug forum where being anti-religious is an instant hit :cool:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #6161524 - 10/12/06 10:06 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

The sad truth is, delusional people are far too delusional to actually heal. If all the scientific progress and physical evidence pointing to a universe without supernatural properties collected over the past thousands of years haven't changed these people's minds, no video or discussion will.

There are valid reasons why people believe false fairy tales, noticeably in Social Darwinism. By researching the basis of religion in humanity, it becomes clearer that change is going to be very, very slow unless something drastic happens to make humanity a bit more intelligent.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineSilentG
Stranger thanfiction

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Ravus]
    #6161613 - 10/12/06 10:35 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
The sad truth is, delusional people are far too delusional to actually heal. If all the scientific progress and physical evidence pointing to a universe without supernatural properties collected over the past thousands of years haven't changed these people's minds, no video or discussion will.

There are valid reasons why people believe false fairy tales, noticeably in Social Darwinism. By researching the basis of religion in humanity, it becomes clearer that change is going to be very, very slow unless something drastic happens to make humanity a bit more intelligent.

There is NO scientific evidence that in any way impacts belief in anything unobservable. By it's very definition science can have nothing to say about the unobservable.

But way to have faith in the magical powers of science to simplify and streamline your life.

So why don't you start with some drastic change to make yourself more intelligent and read up on the philosophy behind science and then the philosophy behind religion.

You guys need to read the previous posts in this thread. It's all been said before, and usually said better.  :rolleyes:

--------------------
Yes, I could go drive somewhere everytime the urge to defecate hits, but...where's the fun in that.
-Moth

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #6161667 - 10/12/06 10:52 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

But way to have faith in the magical powers of science to simplify and streamline your life.

Science isnt magic, and to have "faith" in science could be looked at as a bad thing, if I have faith in science, I a blind, and I just belive.
However, if I practice science, I can figure things out, and learn.

Science will never give you ultimate faith in one area, its not supposed to, science looks for the truth, faith accpets whatever idea you throw at it, even if you honestly belive, for example, that the FSM created the universe. :wink:

Quote:

So why don't you start with some drastic change to make yourself more intelligent and read up on the philosophy behind science and then the philosophy behind religion.

Philosophy is naturally behind both  :wink:
And unlike either, Philosophy always can question, unlike science that can sometimes only test so much, or religion that just belives.
And futhermore.....

Socrates is the one TRUE god, that is all.

--------------------

OfflineSilentG
Stranger thanfiction

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6161705 - 10/12/06 11:07 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
However, if I practice science, I can figure things out, and learn.

The point I was trying to make is that he had "faith" in science to do things science cannot. Hence, it "streamlined" and "simplified" his life.

Further, at some level you have to have faith in science's ability to help you "figure things out, and learn." Science itself is not self-justifying.

You have to have faith in the methods you are using, the scientific paradigm you believe in which will impact all your findings, and even faith down to the very simplest point: your own observations.

Science can neither prove nor disprove that your every observation is false. Take for example a situation like the one in the matrix or even an incredibly realistic dream - science would have no way of discerning if what you're doing is truly real or not. Hence, at some point you have to have faith in science.

David Hume also expressed that there is no way to be certain that anything could ever be duplicated. Even if you use the same methods, everything the same, there is no proof the consequences will be the same. Although every other time I've hit a billiard ball against another the second ball was knocked on course, there is NO proof that it will do the same thing this next time. This is because science relies on inductive reasoning (when A happened B followed, or all crows I've seen have been black so it's likely all crows are black) which can make likely claims (99.999999999 etc%) about future events, but cannot say with certainty (100%) what will happen. Only deductive reasoning (math 2+2 will equal 4 no matter what, all German shephards are dogs) can make certain claims about what will happen.

--------------------
-Moth

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #6161724 - 10/12/06 11:15 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I did start reading the thread, but the sheer amount of bullshit overwhelmed me about half way through. People who say science "is a system designed to generate a delusion that matches an underlying reality as closely as possible" do not realize at all what makes religion delusional and science empirical. Religion is delusional because it falsely believes in such nonsense as "creationism" and the power of prayer, in spite of all the evidence against it. That is the definition of delusional. Science never goes against the acquired evidence and knowledge of humanity, because the scientific theories are themselves subject to change based on the collection of more evidence gathered by the scientific method. Delusions and knowledge are both based on evidence, one ignoring it and one adapting to it; which do you think religion is?

The fact that you say "the magical powers of science" at all shows that you should not be one to lecture others on the philosophies of science and religion. Science is based simply on evidence that can be tested in the world around us. The scientific method is not "magical", but only works to test hypotheses in certain conditions repeatedly until a logical conclusion can be drawn. There is nothing magical about science; it is purely rational, logical and a reflection on all of the acquired, experimental knowledge gathered by humanity up to this point in time.

Quote:

There is NO scientific evidence that in any way impacts belief in anything unobservable. By it's very definition science can have nothing to say about the unobservable

Except for the fact that religion contradicts science. Religion is not entirely unobservable; it's a mixture of unobservable bullshit and bullshit that can be disproven by evidence. Creationism is an example of the latter that is a fundamental part of many Christian sects in America today. But even so, you misunderstood my point; religion was created long ago by insane prophets because people did not know anything. They didn't know what the stars were, they didn't know about the galaxy, they didn't know about molecules, they didn't know about evolution, they didn't know a god damn thing, so they made up gods and holy books to fill in the vast gaps of knowledge. Now that we do know, why would you go back and believe the rambling rants of men whose beliefs have only been carried on because it makes our societies more viral? They give meaning to "the unobservable" instead of giving meaning to the earth and humanity and our acquired knowledge. By putting false faith in dead propehts, modern humans are the true nihilists.

The truth is, if it's unobservable to science, it's unobservable to humanity. Humans rely on knowledge and perceptions of the world to survive, just as science relies on knowledge and acquired evidence to become more accurate and make humanity thrive. Hundreds of years of religious people believing in "the unobservable" led to stagnation, plagues and starvation in the Dark Ages; just a century of scientific knowledge in the observable has led to planes, computers, treatment for cancers, antibiotics, antibacterials, vastly superior food production, robots travelling to other planets, telescopes that can see across the universe and thousands of other benefits that make the world a better place. Delusions accomplish nothing!

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#6161729 - 10/12/06 11:16 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

"The point I was trying to make is that he had "faith" in science to do things science cannot. Hence, it "streamlined" and "simplified" his life."

Yes, I understand that, I was just using your quote to make some points.

And I didnt feel I could even use the word faith in this thread afer all the abuse if sufferd.

--------------------

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6161761 - 10/12/06 11:29 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

boy, that video really doesn't preach acceptance does it?

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Ravus]
    #6162463 - 10/12/06 02:44 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

By putting false faith in dead propehts, modern humans are the true nihilists.

:thumbup: :laugh:

Quote:

The truth is, if it's unobservable to science, it's unobservable to humanity. Humans rely on knowledge and perceptions of the world to survive, just as science relies on knowledge and acquired evidence to become more accurate and make humanity thrive. Hundreds of years of religious people believing in "the unobservable" led to stagnation, plagues and starvation in the Dark Ages; just a century of scientific knowledge in the observable has led to planes, computers, treatment for cancers, antibiotics, antibacterials, vastly superior food production, robots travelling to other planets, telescopes that can see across the universe and thousands of other benefits that make the world a better place. Delusions accomplish nothing!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale