Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleKid_Orgo
 User Gallery

Loc: Hale-Bopp
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: SilentG]
    #6154897 - 10/10/06 04:05 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are unlike your Christ" - Gandhi

--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLosAngelesGraff
Ca Shroomite
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Califas
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #6155070 - 10/10/06 04:55 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i like the points that are made in this video cause i feel like religons fight each other causeing caos. altho i do beleave in a creater that is loveing.
now if we can only show government how they are in a bubble. :frown:

--------------------
:prawn::baggy::zilla:
Please help support cover-upz blog
http://cover-upz.blogspot.com/
Please PM me if you can help build cover upz blog.

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: DNKYD]
    #6155252 - 10/10/06 05:47 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DNKYD said:
So basically you're saying that Japanese Kamikazes were atheists and were flying their planes into American warships because they hated American religion?

No, that's not what I said at all. I said that Japanese Kamikaze pilots were willing to kill themselves for what they believed in: ultra-nationalism.

Rooster Cogburn is under the impression that only religious fanatics would kill themselves for their beliefs, and I am respectfully pointing out that unless you classify nationalism and other belief structures as "religions", then he's quite wrong.

Quote:

DNKYD said:
Your attempt to turn kamikaze pilots into atheist suicide warriors is about as asinine as Bush's attempt to tie Iraq to the war on terror.

Thank you, and so was your attempt to understand my post.

@ Psilocybeingzz
I'm not claiming I'm oppressed, I never said "everyone was against Christianity". Rooster Cogburn is under the impression that aetheists never try to restrict speech under any circumstances due to their beliefs, I was respectfully pointing out that in at least one case he was wrong.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Economist]
    #6155265 - 10/10/06 05:51 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Well I think the FSM vreated the universe, i guess I should be allowed to teach it to other peoples children in school, afterall, we wouldnt want to harm free speech.

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: notapillow]
    #6155307 - 10/10/06 05:59 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

notapillow said:
Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
Athiests also do not use their beliefs to warp or brainwash the masses into magical thinking.

that one did :tongue:

christianity is just absurd to belive in. the guy points out just how absurd and stupid it is.

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6155312 - 10/10/06 06:00 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I'm not referring to school cirricula either, but thanks for whipping out the strawmen.

I'm talking about active efforts in Florida to prevent any kind of voluntary religious activity to take place during the school day. Even a recognized "moment of silence for students to do whatever they wanted" was argued to be too much if it took place during the school day. This was a clear example of aetheists attempting to cut down freedom of expression. It had nothing to do with the cirriculum, and there was no school-given direction, and yet it was still argued to be too much.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Economist]
    #6155504 - 10/10/06 06:44 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Ok one example where you feel they went to far, fine.

But you cant blame people for being nervous, the seperation of church and state is VERY VERY important, and here is why....
the TRUTH!
[url=

[url=
and down to earth, however, he is fat??? can we trust his opinions??? :smile: [/url]
[url=
yourselves[/url]

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Kid_Orgo]
    #6155694 - 10/10/06 07:27 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Kid_Orgo said:
Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
Quote:

every major religion carries with it a large number of the world's greatest philosophers and thinkers.

Well I have to disagree, most western religons dont carry great thinkers and philosophers, and if they do, please explain who they are, because unless you are talking about the fact that some inventors and founding fathers of America were religious, then I dont see what you are talking about, unless of course you are talking about eastern religion, then there are plenty of philosophers that were interested in some of the ideas of major relgions.

So you're saying Milton was an idiot?

Or Thomas Aquinas, or St. Augustine, or Kikegaard, or Sir Francis Bacon(who, incidentally, is responsible for the scientific method as we know it), or Descartes, or Kant...well, you get the idea.

As it so happens, my grandfather is a Christian theologian, and one of the smartest men I know.

--------------------

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
    #6155871 - 10/10/06 08:03 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think religion is about creation anymore, which is what it used to be about. Now religion is about morals, ethics, and man power. But most of that is wrong, religion has nothing to do with creation, morals, or ethics, although those topics do come up in religion.

Religion is about bringing together like-minded people to further society; man power. It doesnt matter what you believe in just as long as others believe it with you. Humans are social animals, we want to be around each other and we want to get along with those we are around. If a majority of people believe in a flying spaghetti ball as the sole creator or the world/universe than others will believe just so they wont be shunned away by the believers, the majority.

Given that information religion isn't about man power ether. Religion is about happiness, changing yourself/others so you can be happy with more people. This is what religion should have been for. Unfortunately this connection was never made, wars have always been fought in the name of a lord or a god/ess. They've been fought to lower the man power of those who believe differently so that one day everyone will believe one thing and therefore be happy with everyone....fat chance.

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this post isn't directed at anyone specific I just kind of read the hole thread and responded.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Idiot]
    #6155899 - 10/10/06 08:10 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Christianity is a good concept, its a religion about forgiving and being peaceful... That concept sure went well with most people.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Silversoul]
    #6155984 - 10/10/06 08:31 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Descartes

Ok my bias is showing  :blush:

Out of those I could only say that I really enjoy reading Descartes, although I did hear a Kikegaard quote before that was interesting.

But I like schopenhauer, spinoza , nietzsche and socrates, and many others, but I have never been a huge fan of kant, Thomas Aquinas, or St. Augustine, and I am ignorant of most of Kikegaard's work.

Still, I personally belive, the best philosophers, are not big belivers in western religion.
IMO, of course :wink:

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #6156351 - 10/10/06 10:03 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

So why aren't we allowed to say volunary prayers in school again, you know if aetheists aren't bothered by people saying anything?

BECAUSE IT'S A PUBLIC SCHOOL!!

If you cannot grasp why a SPECIFIC religious prayer cannot be forced on children in a PUBLIC school, then you are really off base.

Quote:

look at how many books tell you that just saying "3 simple words" or "7 golden rules" or "2 phrases to live by" will change your whole world.

These books pray on the SAME sheep that churches do... They try to copy the formula of religion, repackage it and make some quick cash on the idiocy of modern America. Those 'books' are just as bad as yours, but yours had a 2000 year head start.

Quote:

Remember Stalin? He didn't believe in God, and he certainly made up some fairytales that killed a lot of people...

please... plenty of murderers don't believe in god, but more NON murderers became murderers SPECIFICALLY because of a nonsense religious agenda.

Invisibledoctor_gonzo
Go fuckyourselves SanDiego...
Male

Loc: Colorado
    #6156391 - 10/10/06 10:21 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

All religious arguments feed on the universal ignorance of man. This thread is nothing more than a pointless quarrel and not one of us is more knowledgeable of the truth then the next guy.

--------------------
"You're a fully grown man! Of course you don't wanna
hold her hand, you wanna dick her!"
-Grace Slick's
response to The Beatles' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

-This pic thanks to aNeway2sayHooray

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: doctor_gonzo]
    #6157240 - 10/11/06 07:30 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I'm talking about active efforts in Florida to prevent any kind of voluntary religious activity to take place during the school day. Even a recognized "moment of silence for students to do whatever they wanted" was argued to be too much if it took place during the school day. This was a clear example of aetheists attempting to cut down freedom of expression.

Look.... It has NOTHING to do with limiting your freedom of expression. It has everything to do with keeping RELIGIOUS stuff out of PUBLIC school. What if 10 christian kids try to use the same room as 10 muslim kids? What happens when the lone buddhist kid gets ridiculed by the "good" christian boys?

I personally think ANY religious education or exposure to children is borderline criminal... Children cannot possibly comprehend ontological theology (or whatever you want to call it). So in essence, it's all basicaly brainwashing children... It's as bad as physically molesting them, and probably does FAR more damage in the long run.

Why can't YOU understand that PUBLIC SCHOOL is for learning, and not praying... Pray at home and in church.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#6157246 - 10/11/06 07:36 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I personally think ANY religious education or exposure to children is borderline criminal... Children cannot possibly comprehend ontological theology (or whatever you want to call it). So in essence, it's all basicaly brainwashing children... It's as bad as physically molesting them, and probably does FAR more damage in the long run.

Why can't YOU understand that PUBLIC SCHOOL is for learning, and not praying... Pray at home and in church.

I totally agree, accpet its not nearly as bad as molestation, come on man, I agree with you here, but be rational.  :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

#6157273 - 10/11/06 07:56 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I am speaking from a small amount of experience... An ex-girlfriend of mine was a practicing catholic when we met. She had been through the whole catholic school thing, and had been molested by a step father.

After about a year, she became more agnostic and eventually came to terms with the situation. It seems like molestation fucks with kids more when they wonder why god didn't help them or prevent it. Once she realized that god was imaginary, or at least TOTALLY UNLIKE what she had been force fed as a child, she got over the incidents and pretty much moved on.

Fucking with people's MINDS is worse... and I do agree child molestation is as much a mindfuck as a physical assault, but religious stuff can be VERY damaging (suicide bombers?).

Probably depends on the person, and their psyche.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #6157281 - 10/11/06 07:59 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I went through the whole "Catholic school thing," and feel it helped shaped me into a better, more mature person. Not as much as psychedelics, mind you.

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Silversoul]
    #6157511 - 10/11/06 09:55 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I think you would be a good, mature person regardless. It's not catholic school that made you that way, or else EVERYONE who went to catholic school would be similar...

That's obviously not true seeing the rampant child abuse scandal among catholic churches.

There is no "light of christ" in your heart, you are just a nice human!

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#6157653 - 10/11/06 10:50 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I think you would be a good, mature person regardless. It's not catholic school that made you that way, or else EVERYONE who went to catholic school would be similar...

Why? Thats not logical. An RC schooling worked for him, that doesnt mean it works for everybody.

Quote:

That's obviously not true seeing the rampant child abuse scandal among catholic churches.

That child abuse bit is a hype in the US, if you look at other professions that deal with children on an intensive basis, you'd find it simply occurs everywhere.

Quote:

There is no "light of christ" in your heart, you are just a nice human!

I let Silversoul be the judge of that :thumbup:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: Great video for christians and other religious humans! [Re: Asante]
    #6157717 - 10/11/06 11:09 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

An RC schooling worked for him, that doesnt mean it works for everybody.

That's exactly what I meant... He was making it out to be that RC schooling makes him better somehow. I think it has no effect whatsoever, besides filling children's heads with ideas and concepts of things that do not exist in reality. He may be a nice guy, but he would have been regardless of his schooling... unless he was beaten and sodomized in public school, obviously.

The point being, knowledge of god/christ DOES NOT make you a good person... YOU do.

Quote:

That child abuse bit is a hype in the US, if you look at other professions that deal with children on an intensive basis, you'd find it simply occurs everywhere.

Probably... but the fact that it happens in a catholic atmosphere makes it MUCH worse seeing how priests are men of god, and god is pure and good, supposedly. And I don't think it's "hype"... Trusted priests are raping kids and using the "power of god" to keep them quiet... That's a bit different than standard "pervert uncle" child abuse.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale