Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Turkey Bush held was a fake
    #2161225 - 12/05/03 11:42 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Oh God, this is too good. I sometimes think the Bush administration subconsciously does things like this just to ruin their own crediblity. This guy uses troops like toilet paper.

Story

Photograph of Fake Turkey Captures Bush Misleading

In the most famous picture from his trip to Baghdad, President Bush had himself artfully photographed to look like he was serving turkey to the troops. The image was emblazoned on front pages throughout the country - and now appears to be an entirely false depiction.

According to the Washington Post, Bush was actually holding "a decoration, not a serving plate." In other words, he was holding a prop, not real food, and thus only pretending for the cameras to be serving up the holiday meal.

The Post notes that "the foray has opened new credibility questions for a White House that has dealt with issues" like this in the past. In fact, the flap marks the second such distortion in as many days about his trip to Baghdad. Just yesterday it was revealed that the White House's tall tale of Air Force One crossing paths with a British Airways plane was entirely false.3

The deceptive picture also harkens back to the controversy surrounding the President's "Mission Accomplished" banner4. On May 1, he stood on the deck of the U.S.S. Lincoln in front of the giant sign and declared that "major combat operations have ended."5 Since that time, more troops have been killed or wounded than before he made that statement, prompting more questions about his photo-op.6

When asked why he chose to stand in front of the "Mission Accomplished" banner at a press conference six months later, Bush "disavowed the background banner," saying the White House staff had nothing to do with producing it.7 But then Navy and administration officials admitted the President had been dishonest, saying that "the White House actually made it."8 White House spokesman Scott McClellan specifically said, "We took care of the production of it. We have people to do those things."

Of course, Bush's penchant for taking misleading and dishonest photos has not been confined to Iraq. In July of 2002, the President visited a low-income housing development in Atlanta to tout his commitment to funding it. He then proposed a budget that eliminated its funding9,10. Similarly, the President visited a Boys and Girls Club in January of 2003 to tout the organization's efforts.11 He said the club "has got a grand history of helping children." Just four days after his photo-op, he proposed to cut 15% out of funding for the Boys and Girls Club12.

Sources:
CBSNews.com, 11/27/2003.
"The Bird Was Perfect But Not For Dinner", Washington Post, 12/04/2003.
"Pilots Didn't Radio Air Force One, Airline Says", Washington Post, 12/02/2003.
CBSNews.com, 10/29/2003.
"President Bush Announces Major Combat Operations in Iraq Have Ended", WhiteHouse.Gov, 05/01/2003.
"Postwar Deaths of U.S. Troops in Iraq Exceeds Combat Toll", New York Time, 08/26/2003.
"Bush disavows background banner in May speech", USA Today, 10/28/2003.
"White House pressed on 'mission accomplished' sign", CNN, 10/29/2003.
President Calls for Expanding Opportunities to Home Ownership, 06/17/2003.
Atlanta Journal Constitution, 2/5/2003.
President Commemorates 1st Anniversary of Freedom Corps, 01/30/2003.
CNN Crossfire, 1/30/03.

The fucking Turkey was FAKE. Just like everything else the Bush administration does. Christ, how symbolic.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Turkey Bush held was a fake [Re: Learyfan]
    #2161386 - 12/05/03 12:24 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

so what? they flew in a fake turkey?? how contrived! what a bunch of nut-cases.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #2161397 - 12/05/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

That is some funny stuff! :lol: 

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2161437 - 12/05/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

There's one in the Washington Post about this too (emphasis mine):

Quote:

The Bird Was Perfect But Not For Dinner
In Iraq Picture, Bush Is Holding the Centerpiece

By Mike Allen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 4, 2003; Page A33

President Bush's Baghdad turkey was for looking, not for eating.

In the most widely published image from his Thanksgiving day trip to Baghdad, the beaming president is wearing an Army workout jacket and surrounded by soldiers as he cradles a huge platter laden with a golden-brown turkey.

The bird is so perfect it looks as if it came from a food magazine, with bunches of grapes and other trimmings completing a Norman Rockwell image that evokes bounty and security in one of the most dangerous parts of the world.

But as a small sign of the many ways the White House maximized the impact of the 21/2-hour stop at the Baghdad airport, administration officials said yesterday that Bush picked up a decoration, not a serving plate.

Officials said they did not know the turkey would be there or that Bush would pick it up. A contractor had roasted and primped the turkey to adorn the buffet line, while the 600 soldiers were served from cafeteria-style steam trays, the officials said. They said the bird was not placed there in anticipation of Bush's stealthy visit, and military sources said a trophy turkey is a standard feature of holiday chow lines.

The scene, which lasted just a few seconds, was not visible to a reporter who was there but was recorded by a pool photographer and described by officials yesterday in response to questions raised in Washington.

Bush's standing rose in a poll conducted immediately after the trip. Administration officials said the presidential stop provided a morale boost that troops in Iraq are still talking about, and helped reassure Iraqis about U.S. intentions.

Nevertheless, the foray has opened new credibility questions for a White House that has dealt with issues as small as who placed the "Mission Accomplished" banner aboard the aircraft carrier Bush used to proclaim the end of major combat operations in Iraq, and as major as assertions about Saddam Hussein's arsenal of unconventional weapons and his ability to threaten the United States.

The White House has updated its account of an airborne conversation in which a British Airways pilot wondered into his radio if he had just seen Air Force One and was told that it was a Gulfstream 5, a much smaller plane. White House officials first said that the British Airways pilot had talked with the Air Force One pilot. Bush aides now say the conversation occurred between the British Airways pilot and an air traffic control worker.

"I don't think everybody was clear on exactly how that conversation happened," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

British Airways said it has been unable to confirm the new version. "We've looked into it," a spokeswoman said from London. "It didn't happen."

White House officials do not deny that they craft elaborate events to showcase Bush, but they maintain that these events are designed to accurately dramatize his policies and to convey qualities about him that are real.

"This was effective, because it captured something about the president that people know is true, that he really cares about the soldiers and gets emotional when he sees them," Mary Matalin, a former administration official, said about the trip to Baghdad. "You have to figure out how to capture the Bush we know, even if it doesn't come through in a speech situation or a press conference. He regularly rejects anything that is not him."

The Democratic presidential candidates tipped their hats to the White House stage managers by refusing to criticize the trip, which dominated weekend newscasts.

Aides to the Democrats said they concluded that the less said about the trip, the better. In the view of these aides, the trip produced reassuring images of a situation that has badly deteriorated, and Democrats just wanted the moment to pass so they could go back to criticizing Bush's postwar policy.

A poll conducted four days after Thanksgiving by the National Annenberg Election Survey put Bush's job approval rating at 61 percent, up from 56 percent during the four days before the holiday. His job disapproval rating dropped from 41 percent to 36 percent. His personal popularity increased from 65 percent to 72 percent. The polls of 789 people before Thanksgiving and 847 people after Thanksgiving each had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

The trip was pulled off in total secrecy -- only a few Bush aides and reporters knew about it in advance, and they were allowed to discuss it only on secure phone lines. Reporters covering the Thanksgiving program in Baghdad were not allowed to report the event until after Air Force One had left.

Some of the reporters left behind at Crawford Middle School, where they work when Bush is staying at his Texas ranch, felt they had been deceived by White House accounts of what Bush would be doing on Thanksgiving.

Correspondent Mark Knoller said Sunday on "CBS Evening News" that the misleading information and deception were understandable, but that he had been "filing radio reports that amounted to fiction."

"Even as President Bush was addressing U.S. personnel in Baghdad, I was on the air saying he was at his ranch making holiday phone calls to American troops overseas," Knoller said. "I got that information from a White House official that very morning."

I don't agree with Az's idea that the trip itselfwas staged, but to me it doesn't look like he was that wide of the mark.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Turkey Bush held was a fake [Re: Positronius]
    #2161544 - 12/05/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Positronius said:
so what? they flew in a fake turkey?? how contrived! what a bunch of nut-cases.

I can't tell what you mean by this. If you're saying "who cares if they flew in a fake turkey", then my response is that this is another example of Bush staging events to look good in 2004 by using the troops whom he sent to Iraq to die. It proves that the trip to Iraq was not in any way to give the troops a pat on the back or to raise moral. He's just straight up using the troops.

I agree Edame, AZ wasn't too off the mark with his belief that the trip was fake. I still think he went to Iraq, but for completely selfish reasons. This is another insult to the troops.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2161561 - 12/05/03 01:01 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

LOL! what perfect symbolism!
look at what they're trying to feed us!

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Turkey Bush held was a fake [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2161611 - 12/05/03 01:16 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

infidelGOD said:
LOL! what perfect symbolism!
look at what they're trying to feed us!

Haha. The only way it could be more perfect is if they had made the turkey out of actual bovine excrement.

--------------------

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
    #2161640 - 12/05/03 01:24 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You've got to be kidding me...

TV commercials for fast food don't use real food either (not that the crap they serve is 'real food'). They have an artist come in and decorate it.

The flight jacket that Bush wore, oh my god, hes not part of that unit! He has gel in his hair, thats fake!

At least he isnt' killing off his advisors a la clinton

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Turkey Bush held was a fake [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2161657 - 12/05/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

How typical...whenever Bush starts getting attacked..someone always pipes up to say that "oh yeah...well Clinton did.."

They have NOTHING to do with eachother...Nobody here likes Clinton as far as I can see...so it's a moot point.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
Re: Turkey Bush held was a fake [Re: Rono]
    #2161693 - 12/05/03 01:38 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well, since you are grasping at straws for a reason to hate a white, conservative man (obviously NOT what the founding fathers had in mind for our country, don'tchaknow!), I'll just chalk it up to childish immaturity. This seems to BARELY be legitimate for the political forum, tho.

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: Turkey Bush held was a fake [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2161705 - 12/05/03 01:42 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Grasping at straws?...You gotta be kidding me.

This is the most blatantly corrupt administration that I can remember...if you like Bush, fine...but don't try to blow sunshine up my ass and tell me he's a great guy that's just misunderstood.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

#2161709 - 12/05/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You don't understand Rono, he got a blow-job! A blow-job!!  :lol: 

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#2161710 - 12/05/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, exactly. I don't think even one person here likes Clinton. And he mentioned that he believes Clinton had is advisors killed. That's such a conspiracy theory. I wouldn't put it past Clinton to do that, but that theory puts him in the same league as us.

Try to understand E man, Bush holding a fake turkey soley for the purpose of looking good for the cameras, is good evidence that he only went to Iraq.......soley for the purpose of looking good for the cameras, which means that he could give a shit about the troops.

He doesn't go to any funerals and this is the closest thing he's done to show that he cares about the troops and it turns out to be simply a photo op. What a fucking scumbag. I can't believe you guys will defend this guy to the end, to.

--------------------

OfflineLaCasta
Beyond Good andEvil

Loc: Chicago
    #2161791 - 12/05/03 02:06 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Enima is **edited by Rono*** (I suggest you read the forum rules before posting)

this is what he put in one of my threads

Quote:

Well, Arab's can't help their poor genetic makeup

--------------------

"Memories of high speeds when the cops crash, As I laugh pushin the gas while my glocks blast" -RIP Tupac

Edited by Rono (12/05/03 02:15 PM)

Offlinejfeow
chelsea-chelsea
Re: Turkey Bush held was a fake [Re: LaCasta]
    #2161808 - 12/05/03 02:10 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

why all the bush bashing. hes successfully led two wars and seen our country through its most difficult times since vietnam. plus the economy is on the rebound. and look at the democrats would ya? theyre no better.

--------------------
freedon aint free and i support israel

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: Turkey Bush held was a fake [Re: jfeow]
    #2161840 - 12/05/03 02:19 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jfeow said:
why all the bush bashing. hes successfully led two wars and seen our country through its most difficult times since vietnam. plus the economy is on the rebound. and look at the democrats would ya? theyre no better.

He led two 'successful' wars of agression against 2 countries that didn't stand a chance in the name of oil...good for him.

He's created the biggest debt that the U.S. has ever seen...and went from a budget surplus left by the Dems to a Deficit...and you are patting him on the back for the econimical rebound?

At least I know what type of people are voting for Bush now...it explains alot.

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2161859 - 12/05/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

There are two fake turkeys in the photo below...

EDIT: change title...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Edited by Annapurna1 (12/05/03 03:03 PM)

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Turkey Bush held was a fake [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2161884 - 12/05/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Edit: Silly me  :smirk:

--------------------

Edited by Edame (12/05/03 03:20 PM)

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Turkey Bush held was a fake [Re: Positronius]
    #2162044 - 12/05/03 03:11 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Positronius said:
so what? they flew in a fake turkey?? 

Nope, bush never even went. :smirk:
Fake turkey,
Fake visit,
Fake photos,

...lets see one of him in iraq....there aren't any! Just stupid actors with grins on thier faces in the same bunker or wherever they are.

edit:  :thumbup: :grin:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Edited by Azmodeus (12/05/03 03:12 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2162108 - 12/05/03 03:29 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Weak. Oh so weak. Most likely every president since the invention of the camera has had staged photos.

There's enough actual crap to bitch about without going on about that picture.

I mean really.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder