Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PureVPN PureVPN   NordVPN NordVPN   Amazon Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
George Bush In Iraq
    #2143133 - 11/28/03 10:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- President Bush returned to Texas early Friday after making an unannounced visit to Baghdad to spend part of Thanksgiving Day with U.S. troops -- a trip that surprised not only the soldiers but also virtually everyone else in the world.

Bush touched down in Waco, Texas, around 3:45 a.m. (4:45 a.m. EST) Friday en route to his ranch in nearby Crawford. He had arrived at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland several hours earlier.

His visit marked the first time a U.S. president had traveled to Iraq, and concern for Bush's safety kept the trip cloaked in secrecy. Even some members of the Secret Service were kept in the dark about it.

The whirlwind trip came amid persistent insurgent attacks on U.S. troops in Iraq -- and less than a week after a cargo plane was struck by a missile and forced to land at the Baghdad airport.

Air Force One, with its lights turned off for security reasons, touched down at Baghdad International Airport at 5:31 p.m. (9:31 a.m. EST) and taxied to a remote corner of the airport.

Bush then went to a hangar where about 600 members of the 1st Armored Division and the 82nd Airborne Division had gathered.

The U.S. forces had been told that L. Paul Bremer, the U.S. civilian administrator in Iraq, and Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, commander of coalition forces, would be attending the dinner.

As Bremer prepared to read a presidential proclamation to the troops, he said, "Let's see if we've got anybody more senior here who can read the president's Thanksgiving speech. Is there anybody back there who's more senior than I?"

Bush then emerged, misty-eyed and wearing a U.S. Army exercise jacket, to a roaring ovation.

The shocked and elated soldiers jumped to their feet, pumped their fists in the air, roared with delight, and grabbed their cameras to snap photographs.

"I was just looking for a warm meal somewhere," Bush joked, and added: "I can't think of a finer group of folks to have dinner with."

Then the commander-in-chief got serious.

"You are defending the American people from danger and we are grateful. You are defeating the terrorists here in Iraq."

The insurgents in the country are "testing our will. They hope we will run," he said.

But, he said, "we did not charge hundreds of miles into the heart of Iraq, pay a bitter cost of casualties, defeat a ruthless dictator and liberate 25 million people only to retreat before a band of thugs and assassins."

That line prompted a standing ovation.

"We will prevail. We will stay until the job is done," he said.

Afterward, Bush mingled with soldiers and temporarily joined the servers on the food line to dish out sweet potatoes and corn.

"It gave us a little extra oomph," Spc. Talitha Williams, an Arkansas native assigned to the 1st Armored Division. "Maybe we can get through this."

"It felt good," said Spc. Juan Deloera, also with the 1st Armored Division. "It really boosted my morale."

"It helps a lot knowing that the commander in chief himself is going to come out here and make some of the same sacrifices away from his family, away from his home, to show that he is devoted and in the same position that we are," said Pvt. Patrick McFarland of the 1st Armored Division.

"That's where your mind is, on home this time of the year, and you think about your loved ones, your friends and things like that, and then you have the leader of our country come here and share dinner with us. It's actually very special," said Sgt. Robert Dunn, a Dallas native with the 1st Armored Division.

The president also went behind closed doors for two separate meetings with U.S. commanders and four members of the Iraq Governing Council. After being on the ground 2.5 hours, the president left Baghdad around 8 p.m. (noon EST).

At the president's ranch in Crawford, Texas, where reporters had been told Bush would be having Thanksgiving dinner, the reaction among the press corps was shock and awe.

Word of the trip was so tightly held that some members of the Secret Service were not told, and the number of senior White House officials who knew about it could be counted on one hand.

Sanchez, the coalition commander, didn't learn of the trip until 72 hours beforehand.

Bush sneaked out of his 1,600-acre Crawford ranch in an unmarked car Wednesday evening, slipping past reporters without notice. (Timeline of Bush's trip)

From there, at 7:25 p.m. (8:25 p.m. EST), he took a flight to Andrews Air Force Base to pick up close aides. They then switched planes for the flight to Baghdad.

As the plane was en route, White House communications director Dan Bartlett told the few reporters who were allowed to travel with Bush: "If this breaks while we're in the air, we're turning around."

The news broke minutes after Bush left Iraq.

Iraqis meet to discuss transition plan
The current head of the Iraqi Governing Council met Thursday with a top Shiite leader to discuss the cleric's disagreement with the latest plan to transfer sovereignty from the U.S.-led coalition to the Iraqis.

Jalal Talabani met in Najaf with Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, who complained about loopholes in the plan, focusing on what he called the lack of grass-roots Iraqi voter participation and the lack of Islamic influence in the constitution.

The transition plan -- announced earlier this month by the coalition-picked Governing Council -- calls for regional caucuses to pick a national assembly by the end of May.

The assembly is to choose a transitional government by the end of June. Sovereignty would be transferred from the coalition to Iraqis in July. The constitution would be written and democratic elections would be held by the end of 2005.

Sistani's views are important since Shiites represent 60 percent of Iraq's population, and his objections could thwart efforts to gain widespread support for transitional plans.

The discussions came as the U.S.-led coalition and the council try to restore stability in the face of daily guerrilla attacks and credibility to the U.S.-led efforts at nation building.

Other developments

? A roadside bomb hit three trucks affiliated with the U.S. military Thursday as they traveled on the western outskirts of Baghdad, Coalition Provisional Authority sources said. There were no injuries. Two contractor trucks and a military truck were engulfed in flames, causing authorities to temporarily the highway.

Troops and their families and employers will soon find out if they will be affected by the Pentagon's latest mobilization of 17,000 reservists for duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. In addition, nearly 8,000 reservists have been alerted for deployment to Iraq and around 700 for deployment to Afghanistan. The announcements affect Army and Air Force National Guard and Reserves as well as Navy and Marine Corps Reserves. (Full story)

? Late Wednesday, a rocket-propelled grenade hit the Italian Embassy in Baghdad, causing minor damage to the building's second floor, according to Italian officials. No one was inside the building at the time of the attack, which happened around 11:30 p.m. (3:30 p.m. EST).

CNN's Jane Arraf, Walter Rodgers, Alphonso Van Marsh, Barbara Starr, and Dana Bash contributed to this report.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/11/27/sprj.irq.main/index.html

---
I thought that was pretty cool that Bush did that.  I totally underestimated his character on this one!  :thumbup: 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: George Bush In Iraq [Re: pattern]
    #2143404 - 11/29/03 01:15 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Park Avenue Playground - The Trip

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: George Bush In Iraq [Re: Learyfan]
    #2143717 - 11/29/03 03:50 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2143835 - 11/29/03 07:39 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Anyone else find it funny how this known deserter likes to don military clothing whenever it suits him?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
Re: George Bush In Iraq [Re: Edame]
    #2143959 - 11/29/03 10:55 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

"known deserter"? I'd like to see a link for that please...

Anyone else find it funny how you can sit behind your computer, safe and secure in cowardland, and hate Bush for starting this war, and the men and women who actually have to risk their lives in it give him a 10 minute standing ovation, and the men actually hug him?

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: George Bush In Iraq [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2144026 - 11/29/03 11:41 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

"known deserter"? I'd like to see a link for that please...

This makes a pretty good arguement for it.

Anyone else find it funny how you can sit behind your computer, safe and secure in cowardland, and hate Bush for starting this war, and the men and women who actually have to risk their lives in it give him a 10 minute standing ovation, and the men actually hug him?

I don't see any hate in this thread, perhaps you're just projecting it onto 'us'. I did find your use of the word coward funny though, it seems appropriate given that Bush snuck in like a thief in the night. He addresses 600 men inside the airport and ducks away again after 2 hours. No visits to injured soldiers, no trip through the 'liberated' streets of Baghdad meeting the newly freed Iraqis, no public meetings with the governing council. Just some nice photos of George serving thanksgiving dinner to a select group of soldiers for his re-election campaign. If it's not really that bad over in Iraq and it's just the media being negative, why did he have to shroud his 2 hour photo-op in absolute secrecy, not even telling his own wife until the very last minute? It reminds me of a Bill Hicks quote:

"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side."

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Edited by Edame (11/29/03 11:44 AM)

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
    #2144101 - 11/29/03 12:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe, just maybe, it's because it's a fucking war zone? *shrug* I dunno... Do you think that if Saddam flew to the US, he might go a wee bit undercover?

Another person added to the nitwit list.

--------------------

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
    #2144103 - 11/29/03 12:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

and my god! A politician trying to get votes! That blows my mind!

I'm noticing very little about Mr Hil Clintons trip to Iraq, where she suggested that MORE TROOPS would be needed...

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #2144235 - 11/29/03 01:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:

Thats a good point, although historically, a president of any country doesn't visit the country he is attacking in wartime. 

Ultimately, Bush will never be a great leader, because a true leader leads by example.  :smirk: 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleEdame
gone

#2144296 - 11/29/03 02:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe, just maybe, it's because it's a fucking war zone? *shrug* I dunno... Do you think that if Saddam flew to the US, he might go a wee bit undercover?

And yet Blair found the time to visit, speak to some troops at 2 different bases and visit a school. I don't even like the guy, but compare his actions with those of Bush.

Another person added to the nitwit list.

An honour I'm sure.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#2144348 - 11/29/03 02:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Thats a good point, although historically, a president of any country doesn't visit the country he is attacking in wartime.

Yeah. That picture was really just making a joke about how Bush is always donning war gear, but when he had the chance to actually fight for his country, he ducked out.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#2146646 - 11/30/03 02:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2148252 - 12/01/03 01:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

publicity stunt

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Edited by bellylard (12/01/03 01:47 AM)

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: George Bush In Iraq [Re: barfightlard]
    #2148708 - 12/01/03 08:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

No, he's a great guy.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2148868 - 12/01/03 10:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

GWB wasn't the greatest of reservists, but he was never AWOL.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: George Bush In Iraq [Re: ]
    #2150153 - 12/01/03 07:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've seen nothing but convincing information regarding
the AWOL claim.

can you point me to anything that directly debunks this?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Anonymous

Re: George Bush In Iraq [Re: afoaf]
    #2150255 - 12/01/03 08:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

look, and you will find that nowhere is it stated in any military records that george w. bush was ever considered absent without leave. he was once listed as something like, "not observed at this station" but that's military jargon entirely different than being AWOL... it's a very common listing, and it absolutely doesn't mean that one has gone AWOL. it's not even considered an infraction. going AWOL is a serious offense and doing so automatically precludes one from recieving an honorable discharge. if you look at his military record, you will find that bush was not only never listed as AWOL, but he also received an honorable discharge.

some, who clearly don't like to let the facts get in the way, like to trumpet that bush was AWOL for a year of his military career. this is simply not true. he was absent from active service, but with the approval of his commanding officer (though it was not approved by his commanding officer).

i'll be one to admit that his "service" was far from exemplary... i wouldn't call it something to be proud of.... but the use of the term "AWOL" is intentionally misleading and incorrect.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: George Bush In Iraq [Re: ]
    #2150405 - 12/01/03 09:02 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

here's an interesting thread with all sorts
of interesting links.

it seems it is not so black and white...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/12146663.cfm

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: George Bush In Iraq [Re: afoaf]
    #2150432 - 12/01/03 09:11 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So mushmaster had it right when he said....

"i'll be one to admit that his "service" was far from exemplary... i wouldn't call it something to be proud of.... but the use of the term "AWOL" is intentionally misleading and incorrect."

I would have thought the AWOL line had been debunked awhile ago. I guess it's the "conservative" media so many here believe exists. They must really be conservative if they don't print rebuttals to the AWOL story.    :lol:

I can see the editors now......
"Let's run the truth about Bush being AWOL."

"Nah, lets let the rumors persist. This way we can cleverly disguise our conservative leanings."

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: George Bush In Iraq [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2150500 - 12/01/03 09:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

no, not quite.

it's not really that clear cut a case.

read through some of that stuff.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PureVPN PureVPN   NordVPN NordVPN   Amazon Ranch Dressing

General Interest >> Political Discussion