Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]
High Fructose Corn Syrup
    #20981178 -

So I just noticed that the ingredients on a generic stop & shop store brand loaf of bread I was eating included high fructose corn syrup. The hell do they need to add that into bread for?

Anyway, I'd heard it mentioned many times before but never really looked into exactly what it is. I've been semi-avoiding it lately by avoiding juice and jelly that has it, and I haven't had soda in forever either (just because soda sucks though).

It's basically just knock-off sugar kinda?

Idk, I found this link, it says that some years back "The average American increased their consumption of HFCS (mostly from sugar sweetened drinks and processed food) from zero to more than 60 pounds per person per year. During that time period, obesity rates have more than tripled and diabetes incidence has increased more than seven-fold. Not perhaps the only cause, but a fact that cannot be ignored."
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/861913

Now that right there is a pretty heavy statistic.

Do you have any opinions on this stuff, and the processes food industry in general?


--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Sheekle] * 2
    #20981195 -

You now have High Fructose Corn Syrup AIDS.  Very deadly.  Godspeed Sheekle.


--------------------

"There are a million reasons to drink and one just popped into my head.  If a man can't drink when he's living how the Hell can he drink when he's dead?" - Irish Limerick
I PLURed once because it was PLUR or die. - D.M.T.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Sheekle]
    #20981196 -

why would you even bring up these absurd conspiracy theories

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Hobozen]
    #20981205 -

blankk said:
why would you even bring up these absurd conspiracy theories



Even if high fructose corn syrup was extremely unhealthy, I don't see why it would be considered a "conspiracy theory."

To say "The government wants to give us food to make us fat" would be a conspiracy theory.

Debating the nutritional value of a common ingredient in processed food has nothing to do with a conspiracy.


--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Hobozen]
    #20981224 -

HFCS is about 60/40 % fructose to glucose while regular sugar is 50/50. There isn't much difference. They are both bad for you. BTW all bread has sugar added. It is required by the yeast to ferment and produce alcohol and CO2 which is what makes the dough rise.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: koods]
    #20981226 -

Koods loves his suga though


--------------------

"There are a million reasons to drink and one just popped into my head.  If a man can't drink when he's living how the Hell can he drink when he's dead?" - Irish Limerick
I PLURed once because it was PLUR or die. - D.M.T.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: koods]
    #20981260 -

Well, no, bread does not need added sugar. Yeast lives just fine on the natural sugars found in flour.

I highly recommend this basic no-knead bread.
Very good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: The Doobie Dude]
    #20981263 -

I do


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Sheekle]
    #20981514 -

It's in everything. It's killing you (and me to an extent).

Cut it out of your life, you'll look and feel better.


--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: ModestMouse]
    #20981540 -

nobody wants diabetes. take it from me. i got type 1 juvenile diabetes at the ripe old age of 8, you learn to live with it, but youll never be able to ignore what you eat like everybody else ever again. do yourself a favor and cut out as much sugar as you possibly can, doesnt have to be all.


--------------------
My Adventures Cultivating Mescaline Bearing Cacti

“Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.”
– Terence McKenna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: shroom_sensai]
    #20981814 -

I don't eat much processed food either

was going to eat some shredded wheat but it has BHT in it I'm pretty sure it caused liver kidney and thyroid problems in rats so it probably isn't good for me


--------------------
    :dazedandconfused:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: watermelon mon]
    #20981842 -

bake your own bread if you want


--------------------
    :dazedandconfused:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: shroom_sensai]
    #20981857 -

It's really no worse for you than honey. No better for you than a spoonful of cane sugar. Having your body slowly break down what it's taking in as opposed to just processing it right on through is what's potentially more important in the grand scheme of things. That's why soda, regardless of the type of sugar in it (whether cane sugar or HFCS) is worse for you than an apple.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Sheekle]
    #20981869 -

Sheekle said:
So I just noticed that the ingredients on a generic stop & shop store brand loaf of bread I was eating included high fructose corn syrup. The hell do they need to add that into bread for?

Anyway, I'd heard it mentioned many times before but never really looked into exactly what it is. I've been semi-avoiding it lately by avoiding juice and jelly that has it, and I haven't had soda in forever either (just because soda sucks though).

It's basically just knock-off sugar kinda?

Idk, I found this link, it says that some years back "The average American increased their consumption of HFCS (mostly from sugar sweetened drinks and processed food) from zero to more than 60 pounds per person per year. During that time period, obesity rates have more than tripled and diabetes incidence has increased more than seven-fold. Not perhaps the only cause, but a fact that cannot be ignored."
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/861913

Now that right there is a pretty heavy statistic.

Do you have any opinions on this stuff, and the processes food industry in general?



Its added as a preservative.

The body doesn't process HFCS as well as sugar, its rumored in some circles its what's causing the spike in diabetes.


--------------------
Amanita86 said:
Sui is trying to mod right now.  Kinda like a newborn calf tryin ta stand fer the first time ain’t it..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: PatrickKn]
    #20981879 -

Hmmm. An apple has a higher fructose content than cane sugar or HFCS. I am fructose intolerant and ripe fruit fucks my guts up.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: koods]
    #20981894 -

I wish they sold healthier foods. It seems all the options are bad for you. I don't know what to eat.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: ShiVersblood]
    #20981903 -

Pussy is healthy to eat.


--------------------

"There are a million reasons to drink and one just popped into my head.  If a man can't drink when he's living how the Hell can he drink when he's dead?" - Irish Limerick
I PLURed once because it was PLUR or die. - D.M.T.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Sheekle]
    #20981932 -

Processed food sux, sheekle, it's trash. What it does to you is SICK and TWISTED.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Buttsnot]
    #20982648 -

It's NOT in everything. If you pay a dollar or two more, you can get the same thing WITHOUT high fructose corn syrup in it.

Here are the facts about hfcs:

55% fructose, 45% sucrose. That may not seem like much but your body has a NATURAL balance and harmony that it likes to maintain. If it's out of balance, you may not realize it, but it wrecks havoc on our bodies. Regular NATURAL sugar is 50% fructose and 50% sucrose.

HFCS is made from corn. 80% of the corn in america has been genetically modified.

HFCS digests the same way as alcohol: directly through the liver.

I haven't had hfcs for so long, one time, my bastard step dad had a bbq. He KNOWS I don't eat that shit but he didn't tell me that the sauce he used had hfcs. The next day I was SICK. PUKING, I felt like I had a bad hangover. I get the bottle from the trash and low and behold, the very first ingredient is HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. No wonder I was so sick. Fucking bastard was trying to poison me.

So basically, companies who use hfcs are using a CHEAP form of sweetener for their shit. They are too cheap to use REAL sugar in their product.

ONLY support companies that use REAL sugar in their products.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: occollegeboi]
    #20982667 -

What food should I be buying instead

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Why is high fructose corn syrup bad?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
jewunit 5,514 81 12/14/09 12:15 PM
by yabbahabba
* its made from corn
( 1 2 all )
notapillow 2,733 28 02/25/10 02:10 PM
by notapillow
* Weed demands sugar. Sugar makes acne. Acne brings sadness. Sadness needs weed. Fuck my life.
( 1 2 3 all )
Wapakz 3,559 41 03/28/09 07:24 PM
by igwna
* Is sugar a salt? Artnotwar 6,157 11 05/06/07 05:34 PM
by Nashbar
* shitting corn blizzietomyhiz 1,851 11 04/09/07 04:08 PM
by nookjohn
* Ooof! I feel great! DrMambo 335 5 11/05/09 10:23 PM
by Envix
* The Official Otter Nonsense Thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 703 704 )
SneezingPenis 836,495 14,071 10/01/26 03:57 PM
by KevinDontWave
* Drug Legality Poll
( 1 2 3 4 ... 33 34 )
DiploidM 66,926 665 04/12/13 06:16 AM
by CrimpJiggler

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,276 topic views. 3 members, 34 guests and 94 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.