Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]
Why is high fructose corn syrup bad?
    #9076926 -

All I've ever heard my whole life is that the shit is terrible for you, but unfortunately it's very difficult to avoid. I remember a few weeks ago I saw "don't be so scared of high fructose corn syrup" sponsored by the corn industry or something (I think someone posted about those ads here.) Me and my roommates were appalled.

But nowI'm studying for my food science and tech exam I have in an hour (damnit) and I'm reading about carbohydrates. The chapter talks about sucrose, glucose, fructose, all that good stuff.

So what I'm getting from it so far is that high fructose corn syrup is much sweeter than sucrose, so you can use less of it in a food. This also makes it so there are less kCals in that food.

I realize I really have no idea what's so bad about it. That's not to say it isn't (I'm not even done reading the chapter so they might cover it.) Just more of an observation that I've accepted it as a fact for as long as I can remember. So do you really know why it's bad, or do you just accept it is because everyone tells you so?


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9076935 -

Hippies make an arbitrary distinction between natural and unnatural.  Then they blindly believe anything in their definition of 'natural' is good, and anything in their definition of 'unnatural' is bad.

Im not saying it is good for you, just that most people judge it based on their preconceived notions, not peer reviewed science.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9076941 -

What I recall:

HFCS is a more complex carbohydrate than say Glucose and thus takes more energy to break down to be converted back into energy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: DieCommie]
    #9076942 -

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at.
I've never actually seen anything of any sort of scientific nature (never even heard about it in Bio class) as to why it's bad. And this professor didn't mention anything about it beyond foods containing it usually contain half as many carbohydrates than those made with sugar.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9076947 -

People like to blame it for America's obesity problems. But other countries are just as obese and they don't have high-fructose corn syrup. It's just a scapegoat.

I've heard that it's bad for you but I've never actually seen any convincing arguments. I usually just hear some mumbling about insulin levels or some other mumbo-jumbo.

The worst thing about HFCS, I think, is that it doesn't taste as good.


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9076949 -

LoL


--------------------
.6th and 7th sense theory
.Now is forever. .ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞTheﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞUnseenﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ is seenﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ by the blindﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ eye.ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ
ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ
ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ.When the inevitable time comes, go with your head held high,without regret or remorse, in your subconscious mind.
ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ
ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞ

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: teknix]
    #9076971 -

:sarcasticclap:
Wonderful contribution.

Your response just makes me think you don't know why it's bad either.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9076977 -

It's bad because they say it's bad!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9076984 -

It's all about the reactive carbonyls, baby!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070823094819.htm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: zouden]
    #9077040 -

Quote:
The worst thing about HFCS, I think, is that it doesn't taste as good.



Its also a lot cheaper than sugar, sometimes they will switch to HCFS when no one is looking and they feel greedy.

Sometimes they print the ingrediants "Sugar or HCFS" so they can switch whenever they want without telling anyone.

HCFS does not taste as good as sugar, there is one doctor pepper plant that still uses sugar and some people drive across the state to get it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9077044 -

It's hard on your liver, that's why.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9077051 -

Almost everything I've found so far is pretty suggestive.

That study Veritas posted seems to be the most definitive thing I can find beyond theories.

Really it just seems to come down to having too much of it is a bad thing, but that's true of sucrose, or fat, or just calories in general.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: zouden]
    #9077059 -

zouden said:
People like to blame it for America's obesity problems. But other countries are just as obese and they don't have high-fructose corn syrup. It's just a scapegoat.

I've heard that it's bad for you but I've never actually seen any convincing arguments. I usually just hear some mumbling about insulin levels or some other mumbo-jumbo.

The worst thing about HFCS, I think, is that it doesn't taste as good.



No country is as fat as us, period, especially without HFCS. Think of soda, water, a few minor chemicals, but what is that second on the ingredients list? HFCS. It's high fructos, the sweetest of the sugers, it's probably high calorie. I drank pop, then I quit and lost alot of weight.

Then again, it may be ok. Still, the fact pop is mostly water and that, but is easy to gain weight with, it makes me weary.

I still eat some occasionally, in snacks and rock candy, but pop was my largest source. It's everywhere, and too easy to have too much of.


--------------------

Fight for a large loving government that can take care of its people, kill our criminals, and preform the huge industrial tasks our corporate overlords refuse(wanna greenwash me some more Exon?)

Not this weak travesty that let millions starve and sucks corporate cock while failing at every turn.

Edited by doom876 (10/14/08 05:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9077064 -

Right, well.

Quote:
Really it just seems to come down to having too much of it is a bad thing, but that's true of sucrose, or fat, or just calories in general.



+

Quote:
Its also a lot cheaper than sugar, sometimes they will switch to HCFS when no one is looking and they feel greedy.



+

[[American Capitalism]]

=

Reason for Concern.

Make any sense to you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #9077071 -

I dont get it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: doom876]
    #9077077 -

It's pretty equal in calories to sucrose.
And since it's sweeter less is required.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of any other health risks HFCS may or may not pose, it isn't a cause of obesity. It just doesn't make sense to me. If we replaced all HFCS in soda with regular sugar, do you think people wouldn't be fat?


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9077080 -

jewunit said:
It's pretty equal in calories to sucrose.
And since it's sweeter less is required.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of any other health risks HFCS may or may not pose, it isn't a cause of obesity. It just doesn't make sense to me. If we replaced all HFCS in soda with regular sugar, do you think people wouldn't be fat?



Wouldn't we need less suger since it tastes better(and therefor is probably sweeter)?


--------------------

Fight for a large loving government that can take care of its people, kill our criminals, and preform the huge industrial tasks our corporate overlords refuse(wanna greenwash me some more Exon?)

Not this weak travesty that let millions starve and sucks corporate cock while failing at every turn.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: Veritas]
    #9077081 -

Thanks for the article, Veritas.

For further reading: the Wikipedia article.


--------------------
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home
Curriculum vapidum (dry herb vapes)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: jewunit]
    #9077087 -

jewunit said:
Almost everything I've found so far is pretty suggestive.

That study Veritas posted seems to be the most definitive thing I can find beyond theories.

Really it just seems to come down to having too much of it is a bad thing, but that's true of sucrose, or fat, or just calories in general.



What it comes down to is that HFCS promotes diabetes more effectively than other forms of sugar.  The reactive carbonyls are freed by the processing which creates HFCS, whereas they are bound in other forms of sugar.  Certainly having too much HFCS, sugar, saturated fat, or other non-nutritive foods is harmful to health...but the bottom line is that HFCS is MORE harmful than other sugars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why is high fructose corn syrup bad? [Re: Veritas]
    #9077093 -

Quote:
but the bottom line is that HFCS is MORE harmful than other sugars.



... when respect to diabetes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* A butterfly 4 all PriitK 896 4 08/01/05 11:53 PM
by PriitK
* Fresh Iowa sweet corn...
( 1 2 3 all )
Gr8fulJ420 6,111 43 08/29/04 02:38 AM
by Adom
* Drank some Couph syrup
( 1 2 all )
Dreamer987 4,272 27 06/22/03 11:28 PM
by Phencyclidine
* the butterfly effect Osker246 1,122 8 02/18/04 02:22 AM
by Osker246
* Now I know why you aren't supposed to eat lots of corn
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 2,625 31 08/10/04 07:41 PM
by Adom
* Bugs In My Corn McKennaFan200 965 10 08/12/04 11:03 PM
by vade
* Yellow Butterflys Hawkeye2 547 3 08/13/05 03:08 PM
by Hawkeye2
* Im getting my ass kicked badly....
( 1 2 all )
OldSpice 4,687 36 05/04/04 02:56 PM
by notapillow

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
5,514 topic views. 3 members, 7 guests and 87 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.