Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKiafi
Psychonaut

Loc: Rehab
Big Darkness Soon Come
    #1753412 - 07/27/03 05:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This article ran in ESPN magazine, written by my favorite author of modern times, Hunter S. Thompson.

When I went into the clinic last April 30, George Bush was about 50 points ahead of his closest Democratic opponent in next year's Presidential Election. When I finally escaped from the horrible place, less than three weeks late, Bush's job-approval ratings had been cut in half -- and even down into single digits, in some states -- and the Republican Party was panicked and on the run. It was a staggering reversal in a very short time, even shorter than it took for his equally crooked father to drop from 93 percent approval, down to as low as 43 percent and even 41 percent in the last doomed days of the first doomed Bush Administration. After that, he was Bill Clinton's punching bag.

Richard Nixon could tell us a lot about peaking too early. He was a master of it, because it beat him every time. He never learned and neither did Bush the Elder.

But wow! This goofy child president we have on our hands now. He is demonstrably a fool and a failure, and this is only the summer of '03. By the summer of 2004, he might not even be living in the White House. Gone, gone, like the snows of yesteryear.

The Rumsfield-Cheney axis has self-destructed right in front of our eyes, along with the once-proud Perle-Wolfowitz bond that is turning to wax. They somehow managed to blow it all, like a gang of kids on a looting spree, between January and July, or even less. It is genuinely incredible. The U.S. Treasury is empty, we are losing that stupid, fraudulent chickencrap War in Iraq, and every country in the world except a handful of Corrupt Brits despises us. We are losers, and that is the one unforgiveable sin in America.

Beyond that, we have lost the respect of the world and lost two disastrous wars in three years. Afghanistan is lost, Iraq is a permanent war Zone, our national Economy is crashing all around us, the Pentagon's "war strategy" has failed miserably, nobody has any money to spend, and our once-mighty U.S. America is paralyzed by Mutinies in Iraq and even Fort Bragg.

The American nation is in the worst condition I can remember in my lifetime, and our prospects for the immediate future are even worse. I am surprised and embarrassed to be a part of the first American generation to leave the country in far worse shape than it was when we first came into it. Our highway system is crumbling, our police are dishonest, our children are poor, our vaunted Social Security, once the envy of the world, has been looted and neglected and destroyed by the same gang of ignorant greed-crazed bastards who brought us Vietnam, Afghanistan, the disastrous Gaza Strip and ignominious defeat all over the world.

The Stock Market will never come back, our Armies will never again be No. 1, and our children will drink filthy water for the rest of our lives.

The Bush family must be very proud of themselves today, but I am not. Big Darkness, soon come. Take my word for it.

-------------------------

I think he said it better than I ever could, but I absolutely agree that North America is in the worst socio-political state since the Vietnam war, and even that large event doesn't begin to equal the potentially disastrous overtones that modern events have foreshadowed.

Most Americans who drink Bud Light and watch Bill O'Reilly and Dr. Phil don't realize that the world is teetering on the edge of ruin. North Korea wants to fuck us up our asses with nuclear weapons, the world hates and disrespects us, the economy is failing, right wing conservatives are everywhere and in power, the heavily biased FOX news channel is becoming more popular than all of its competition, and there is a man in office who thinks "hispanically" is a word.

The general attitude for a while was that Americans would always pull through in the end, and that we could recover from any terrorist attack.

I call these people fucking morons.

There is something called "Second Strike Effect", which basically dictates that if the terrorists were to launch another large public attack on us like 9/11, that it would have one of the most demoralizing effects possible in a singular action. If second strike occurs, not only will another large, damaging attack take place, but it will prove beyond a doubt that everything the government has done to stop terrorists - 2 wars, endless new and scary laws, the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, and many many other things, are all pointless.

And they ARE pointless.

If that's not bad enough, Palestine and Israel are destroying each other, India and Pakistan are on the brink of nuclear war. Africa is completely screwed out of its gourd with civil wars, and just about every single conspiracy and apocalypse theory will occur within the next 9 years.

And, once again, theres a spoiled Texan religious zealot in office who believes he is on a mission from god to piss of all of the Muslims, and who thinks "Misunderestimated" is a word.

We are just one big event away from the beginning of the end. Somebody will either assassinate Bush, or somebody will destroy a large Muslim shrine like Mecca, or some middle east country will launch a nuke, the potential for destruction is endless.

Does anybody think that we're screwed, or that we'll be fine, or that I should go to hell? I just think that this era and time in the worlds history is endlessly fascinating and chock full of extremely interesting possibilities. Maybe I'm wrong.

--------------------
Nothing is True. Everything is permitted.
Everything is true. Nothing is 'permitted'.

Every man and woman is a star.
Each star is it's own prison.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Big Darkness Soon Come [Re: Kiafi]
    #1753674 - 07/27/03 07:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

We're screwed.

With Bush, Colin, and Dick in the White House, you know someone is gonna get fucked.

[/badjoke]

seriously though, thanks for the post, it is an eye-opener. Seems there is this constant force that is trying to shut the eyelids more and more and then you read somethin like that and it's like "oh yea... SHIT"

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1753704 - 07/27/03 07:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hunter Thompson is an entertaining writer, but he used to be a lot better. "The Hell's Angels", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", and "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" were great, but I find each book he has published since then to be lamer and lamer. Now all he does is rant, and rant inaccurately at that. It is truly a shame.

You write:

I absolutely agree that North America is in the worst socio-political state since the Vietnam war...

Worse than during the Watergate scandal and the stagflation of the Carter years? I disagree.

Most Americans who drink Bud Light and watch Bill O'Reilly and Dr. Phil don't realize that the world is teetering on the edge of ruin.

No more so than it has many times in the past. Besides, Thompson's rant was directed at Bush. How is Bush responsible for this "teetering"?

North Korea wants to fuck us up our asses with nuclear weapons...

And this is Bush's fault because....?

... the world hates and disrespects us...

This is nothing new.

... the economy is failing...

To a far lesser degree than it has several times already in my lifetime.

...right wing conservatives are everywhere and in power...

And this is bad because...?

... the heavily biased FOX news channel is becoming more popular than all of its competition...

Perhaps this is because the heavily biased competition is out of touch with reality.

... and there is a man in office who thinks "hispanically" is a word.

Jimmy Carter (who by the way was a nuclear engineer) pronounced nuclear "nuke-yuh-ler". New words are being invented and used every day. At least "hispanically" as used by Bush follows the rules for converting a noun to an adverb.

There is something called "Second Strike Effect", which basically dictates that if the terrorists were to launch another large public attack on us like 9/11, that it would have one of the most demoralizing effects possible in a singular action.

That is a popular theory, yes. Interesting that such a strike hasn't occurred, despite dire predictions of its inevitability. Why do you think that might be?

If second strike occurs, not only will another large, damaging attack take place, but it will prove beyond a doubt that everything the government has done to stop terrorists - 2 wars, endless new and scary laws, the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, and many many other things, are all pointless.

"If" is the key word here. See above. Even if such an attack were to occur, it doesn't prove that these things are "pointless" any more than the continuing occurrence of bank robberies proves that police are pointless.

If that's not bad enough, Palestine and Israel are destroying each other, India and Pakistan are on the brink of nuclear war. Africa is completely screwed out of its gourd with civil wars...

And this is Bush's fault because...? The Palestinian situation has been going on for longer than I have been alive. If anything, the chances of reconciliation today are greater than they have ever been in a long time. India and Pakistan have been at each others' throats for decades, too. And Africa has been completely screwed for centuries.

... and just about every single conspiracy and apocalypse theory will occur within the next 9 years.

Uh-huh.

And, once again, theres a spoiled Texan religious zealot in office who believes he is on a mission from god to piss of all of the Muslims, and who thinks "Misunderestimated" is a word.

Piss off all Muslims? Hardly.

Just as a point of interest, do you think you could list for us a few terrorist incidents between say 1991 and 2001 which didn't involve those who profess to be Muslims?

Somebody will either assassinate Bush...

In which case, according to Thompson and the majority of the posters in this forum, all will be well.

... or somebody will destroy a large Muslim shrine like Mecca...

Presumably a non-Muslim terrorist group like... oh, I don't know... ummm... the IRA? The Shining Path? Falung Gong?

...or some middle east country will launch a nuke...

Because they don't like Bush, right?

... the potential for destruction is endless.

And this is Bush's fault because...?

Does anybody think that we're screwed, or that we'll be fine, or that I should go to hell?

As one who went through daily "duck and cover" drills in school during the Cuban Missile Crisis, got roughed up and tossed in jail by cops for protesting the Viet Nam War, lived through double digit inflation and mortgages and gas lines during the Carter years, watched the price of silver and gold skyrocket when the Hunt brothers made their doomed attempt to corner the silver market, watched the stock market tank in October of 1987 and a whole lot more, I can honestly say I feel better about our chances today than at any time yet in my half century on this planet.

The sky is NOT falling.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineKiafi
Psychonaut

Re: Big Darkness Soon Come [Re: Phred]
    #1753919 - 07/27/03 09:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Whoah, I'm NOT blaming Bush for everything. Sure, he's part of it, but my point was to describe all the reasons for why the world is in such flux.

And the apocalypse thing is just a statement of fact, I don't listen to that shit.

The 1 thing I disagree with you about is your defending of "hispanically". I just cant accept it. Sorry.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1753937 - 07/27/03 09:39 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Jimmy Carter (who by the way was a nuclear engineer) pronounced nuclear "nuke-yuh-ler". New words are being invented and used every day. At least "hispanically" as used by Bush follows the rules for converting a noun to an adverb.

There is a difference between pronouncing a word a bit differently because you have a deep Southern accent and "inventing" a new word because you are too dumb to know the difference... Do you really think the Gipper Jr. meant to use that word, as if he was inventing a new word? How the fuck could you use that word, by the way? "I drove my low rider very hispanically?" hehe
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1754014 - 07/27/03 10:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Kiafi writes:

Whoah, I'm NOT blaming Bush for everything.

Gee... the title of your post came from HST's extended rant about what a menace and fuckup Bush is. Further, you prefaced the quote by calling HST your "favorite author of modern times", and further still your very first comment after the HST quote was, "I think he said it better than I ever could," so maybe you can understand why when you then went on to expand on what HST had introduced I read it as merely a more detailed Bush-bash. How silly of me.

The 1 thing I disagree with you about is your defending of "hispanically". I just cant accept it. Sorry.

LOL! That's the one thing that I found to be completely beside the point in your entire post! If he had never uttered the word, would it make even the tiniest difference to the sad state of affairs in Africa or India or the Middle East? It is nothing more than a gratuitous swipe at a politician you dislike.

But if that's the only thing in my post you disagreed with, my job is done.

Over and out.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineKiafi
Psychonaut

#1754118 - 07/27/03 10:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Christ , I'm not some mindless HST fan that adheres to everything he says, I just think its an interesting and in some places very true piece.

Hunter Thompson also has done enough drugs to make him practically retarded, I take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Sure, I think Bush is stupid and doing a bad job, but I didn't go 30 pages about not liking him, or bash Canadians, or whine about the French like most people.

Just because I include a few quotes for a bit of humor doesn't mean that I like Jeanine Garofalo and read Noam Chomsky. A gratuitous swipe is not an embodying codified opinionated statement.

--------------------

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
    #1754124 - 07/27/03 10:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

meh, at least he defended his point intellegently...

i disagree with some statements though. Or at least disagree with what they assume...

Quote:

... the heavily biased FOX news channel is becoming more popular than all of its competition...

Perhaps this is because the heavily biased competition is out of touch with reality.

I agree, all media is just set up to make shit a more palitable(sp?) meal, but it seems like you are saying that FOX news is better than any of its competitors, which I would have to disagree with, Unless you mean CNN

Quote:

... and just about every single conspiracy and apocalypse theory will occur within the next 9 years.

Uh-huh.

honestly, that IS some bullshit....

[qoute]

Piss off all Muslims? Hardly.

Just as a point of interest, do you think you could list for us a few terrorist incidents between say 1991 and 2001 which didn't involve those who profess to be Muslims?

I dont think Kiafi is dumb enough to shit on one American president and support another, but, hell, I could be wrong..

Quote:

If that's not bad enough, Palestine and Israel are destroying each other, India and Pakistan are on the brink of nuclear war. Africa is completely screwed out of its gourd with civil wars...

And this is Bush's fault because...? The Palestinian situation has been going on for longer than I have been alive. If anything, the chances of reconciliation today are greater than they have ever been in a long time. India and Pakistan have been at each others' throats for decades, too. And Africa has been completely screwed for centuries.

look carefully, he said "If that was not enough", which means seperatly from bush, this shit is fucked too. (that was not meant to sound patronising.)

Quote:

... and there is a man in office who thinks "hispanically" is a word.

this may be a cheap shot, but bush is a grown man, and english was his first language. I would feel a little better if the man with his finger on the trigger spoke his own goddamn lanugage correctly.

other than that, I want to say its nice to have somone willing to write a well thought out post around.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Big Darkness Soon Come [Re: domite]
    #1754172 - 07/27/03 11:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

domite writes:

I agree, all media is just set up to make shit a more palitable(sp?) meal, but it seems like you are saying that FOX news is better than any of its competitors, which I would have to disagree with, Unless you mean CNN.

I didn't say it was BETTER, I said its competitors are less in touch with reality. All news outlets are biased -- that is reality. People tend not to watch news outlets which editorialize too heavily against their personal philosophies -- that too is reality. The reality which FOX's competitors overlook is that the average members of their target audience (Joe and Jane EveryAmerican) are a lot less left-leaning than the average TV journalist. That is why FOX is making such rapid gains.

I would feel a little better if the man with his finger on the trigger spoke his own goddamn lanugage correctly.

I don't think his lingusitic quirks have any effect on his decisions on whether to depose a dictator, for example.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1754173 - 07/27/03 11:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

domite said:
I agree, all media is just set up to make shit a more palitable(sp?) meal, but it seems like you are saying that FOX news is better than any of its competitors, which I would have to disagree with, Unless you mean CNN

I myself think that the media is designed to scare the shit out of everyone, getting them to fear their next door neighbor, their doctor, etc. The easiest way to control people is through fear... you aren't telling me the secret organization suspossedly in control is using this.
Think about it. The majority of people in this country are hooked on the media (namely, television).
Television emits certain lightwaves, it can put someone in a type of trance if they are sitting in front of it, focusing on it.
Putting fear in these people through the news, showing all the bad things happening in the world, health problems, etc., etc., will set them up for someone to step in and "solve" all these problems. In example, the government.
Entirely logical, reasonable, and possible. Most likely, as well.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1754185 - 07/27/03 11:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Gee... the title of your post came from HST's extended rant about what a menace and fuckup Bush is. Further, you prefaced the quote by calling HST your "favorite author of modern times", and further still your very first comment after the HST quote was, "I think he said it better than I ever could," so maybe you can understand why when you then went on to expand on what HST had introduced I read it as merely a more detailed Bush-bash. How silly of me.

It was pretty silly.

He was obviously just sharing his view on the state of the world in general. The presidency is sort of a big role in the scheme of things so of course the post is gonna revolve around it somewhat, but it seems pretty lame to just write it off as another "bush bash".

my .02

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Big Darkness Soon Come [Re: Grav]
    #1754193 - 07/27/03 11:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

btw, I don't think it's so much BUSH per se, but he just seems like another representative for that whole group of rich greedy fucks that have been trying to exploit human life for their own benefit since the beginnings of our nation.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1754218 - 07/27/03 11:35 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"texas religous zealot" believe me... there are many. And they are a threat to the human race... i kid you not. come live here... and you can see for yourself :wink: 

--------------------
What?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #1754222 - 07/27/03 11:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

**Teleportation**

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Big Darkness Soon Come [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1754230 - 07/27/03 11:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

everyone wants to believe what they're doing is right.

manifest
destiny
social
darwinism
everywhere
endless
attempts
at
justification
everywhere
human
suffering
makes
me
want
to
cry
im
tired
goodnight.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: Big Darkness Soon Come [Re: Grav]
    #1754325 - 07/28/03 12:39 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"The reality which FOX's competitors overlook is that the average members of their target audience (Joe and Jane EveryAmerican) are a lot less left-leaning than the average TV journalist. That is why FOX is making such rapid gains."

that is one way of looking at it. another way to explain FOX's rapid gains is that they have learned from marketing and social psychology research how easy it is to mesmerize and control people by pushing the right emotional buttons. By playing to fear, greed, and mindless conformity, FOX has become a true demagogue.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
Re: Big Darkness Soon Come [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1754367 - 07/28/03 01:00 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Im not so sure that that is the purpose of media, I honestly think it is a tool used to desensitise peoples emotions, so they accept shit more easily, and help emerse people in what could be described as "society", this semi-imaginary world where we follow arbitrary rules and compete agianst eachother in arbitrary ways...

The elements of our society are so clearly manifestations of basic psycological "needs" and functions, i really cant find a better word, sorry. I just need to escape all of this shit sometimes.

When a single man is Isolated from all other men, he eventually goes "insane", meaning he creates a whole other world for himself outside of what is normal in the systems of our society, and he exists in his that world. When groups of men, or all men sepereate themselves from nature, and all other life, the same thing happens to them. They make thier own imaginary systems, or worlds and exist in them. this is pretty much what politics is to me. Sometimes this thought nauseates me...

oh, sorry, i was ranting...

OfflineKiafi
Psychonaut

#1755281 - 07/28/03 08:33 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, at least he's not Al Gore.

--------------------

OfflineKiafi
Psychonaut

#1755306 - 07/28/03 08:43 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

And of *course* it was supposed to be silly. Why would I post something serious and bland on a forum that revolves around psychedelic msuhroom cultivation?

The QUESTION is, did it remind you of current events and/or slightly entertain/occupy you?

If so, I find it a successful thread.

And the apocalypse thing is just a statement on all the weird stuff like the Mayan calendar ending thats supposed to happen soon. Especially the 2012 I Ching/Maya/Aztec era stuff. I dont follow apocalypse theory with a passion or anything, but you have to admit that theres quite an assload of weird shit coming together soon. It's not like I'm running around naked with a sign saying "Jesus is coming".

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1755320 - 07/28/03 08:48 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Kiafi said:
Hey, at least he's not Al Gore. 

We can all be thankful for that.

A Gore presidency would have been tragic.
Although, he did invent the internet, and was the inspiration for that truly *great* novel.... Love Story.

:lol:

Gore..... what an ass.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion