Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
When Terrorism was Cool
    #1616802 - 06/07/03 03:01 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

This is quite an interesting article about the Weatherman movement back in the late sixties. It's a bit long so I'm not going to paste it all. It's from Salon.com. To read the whole article you have to click through a 15-second ad I'm afraid.

When terrorism was cool
As a new film about the Weather Underground opens, former '60s revolutionary Mark Rudd wonders whatever possessed him -- and America.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Andrew O'Hehir

June 7, 2003 | "Some years ago," Mark Rudd says, "I developed this formulation: The Vietnam War drove me crazy. Now, that doesn't explain why it drove me crazy and it didn't drive other people crazy. But I think in actuality the Vietnam War drove a lot of people crazy."

Sitting at a sidewalk cafe table in New York's Soho neighborhood, Rudd isn't likely to attract much attention. He looks like a shaggy, stocky, aging hippie turned academic, which is pretty much what he is. (He teaches at a junior college in Albuquerque, N.M.)

But 34 or 35 years ago, in another era and what must sometimes seem to him like another country, Rudd was a national counterculture celebrity. As head of the Columbia University chapter of Students for a Democratic Society, he led the antiwar demonstrations that virtually shut down the Columbia campus in April 1968, occupying the president's office and holding the college dean prisoner (as well as producing the infamous slogan, "Up against the wall, motherfucker!"). The following year, he was one of the founding members of Weatherman, the revolutionary faction that took over SDS and essentially devoured it. (The group's name, of course, derives from the lyrics to Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues": "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.")

Less than a year after that, by the spring of 1970, he was a fugitive terror suspect, fleeing federal charges that he'd planned bombings and incited riots in various Midwestern cities. Three Weathermen had blown themselves up while building a bomb in a Greenwich Village townhouse, no more than a mile from where Rudd is sitting today. To the group's everlasting shame, that bomb was intended for an officers' dance at Fort Dix, N.J., where it presumably could have killed not only military personnel but their civilian dates and whoever else might have been in the building.

In the wake of the townhouse explosion, authorities finally grasped that the Weathermen, although small in scale and limited in capacity, were earnestly dedicated to the violent overthrow of the United States government.

The rest of the article is here.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemike
iHugTrees

Re: When Terrorism was Cool [Re: Edame]
    #1618804 - 06/08/03 04:40 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yea, i read some about those folk, they were hard core. i think it will only be a matter of time before we have our own extremists trying to violently overthrow the govt. it wont be me, i am too passive, but they will be out there.

i dont know if the article mentioned how the wather men sprung tim leary from the pen. that was a fun stry to read.

'those who fuck together, fight together'
- a weathermen motto

--------------------
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
-Albert Einstein

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: When Terrorism was Cool [Re: mike]
    #1618836 - 06/08/03 04:57 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

They did mention that they sprung him, but not how. They also seem to lean towards the opinion that Leary 'ratted out' some of them to get released, which disappointed me somewhat (and detracted from the article).

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Edited by Edame (06/08/03 04:59 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1618864 - 06/08/03 05:14 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Terrorism was never cool.

Terrorists are, and always will be, scumbags.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: When Terrorism was Cool [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1618892 - 06/08/03 05:36 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I guess it depends on your definition of a terrorist.

--------------------

Edited by Edame (06/08/03 05:38 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1618927 - 06/08/03 06:07 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

The two are not even remotely related. A freedom fighter fights against governments, oppressors, conquerors, etc.

Terrorists are not freedom fighters. They are scumbags.

Main Entry: ter?ror?ism
Pronunciation: 'ter-&r-"i-z&m
Function: noun
Date: 1795
: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion
- ter?ror?ist /-&r-ist/ adjective or noun
- ter?ror?is?tic /"ter-&r-'is-tik/ adjective

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1618957 - 06/08/03 06:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I can understand where you're going with the dictionary definition, but that seems to be ignored by most people these days. The 'rebels' in Chechnya used to be called freedom fighters, now they are called terrorists. The two can be interchanged depending on who needs to be demonized. Bin Laden was a US created 'freedom fighter' in Afghanistan when the Russians were the bigger threat, now he's a terrorist.

According to US propaganda, most of us here are terrorists by association, as we are either involved in the cultivation, or use of drugs like marijuana.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1618986 - 06/08/03 06:42 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Lame

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1619547 - 06/08/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Bin Laden was a US created 'freedom fighter' in Afghanistan when the Russians were the bigger threat, now he's a terrorist.

Spot on.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1619565 - 06/08/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The Weathermen were just another group of violent assholes.

...and Luvdem, surely you're smart enough to realize that all terrorists believe they are fighting the evil oppressors.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: When Terrorism was Cool [Re: Phluck]
    #1619597 - 06/09/03 12:11 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

When Germans occupied Europe many guerilla resistance groups fought against their army and targeted civilians too, especially those who collaborated with germans. They were called terrorists, murderous bandits & illegal combatants. The rules of war didn't apply to them. When caught they were tortured & executed.
They're national heroes now, isn't that funny?

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1619682 - 06/09/03 01:24 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Why is it 'lame'? Can you elaborate?

By the way, just in case there's any confusion, I'm not agreeing with violence or terrorism, nor do I find it 'cool'. My point is that the word 'terrorist' is just another label people can use to demonize groups of people.

--------------------

Edited by Edame (06/09/03 01:27 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: When Terrorism was Cool [Re: Phluck]
    #1619893 - 06/09/03 02:55 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Weathermen were just another group of violent assholes.

...and Luvdem, surely you're smart enough to realize that all terrorists believe they are fighting the evil oppressors.

What terrorists believe they are doing doesn't change the fact they are scumbags.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1620124 - 06/09/03 06:25 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I think if my neighbourhood was being bombed relentlessly I would definitely be feeling fairly terrorfied. Ergo the coalition induced terror in many Iraqi's and Afghans, ergo they are terrorists (according to the dictionary definition) Ergo they are scumbags. Hey Luvvie we finally agree on something, aint that just great!  :grin: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: When Terrorism was Cool [Re: zeronio]
    #1620281 - 06/09/03 09:32 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

When Germans occupied Europe many guerilla resistance groups fought against their army and targeted civilians too, especially those who collaborated with germans. They were called terrorists, murderous bandits & illegal combatants. The rules of war didn't apply to them. When caught they were tortured & executed.

Excellent point Zeronio. I think that's a little bit too much of an intellectual leap to make for a few people in this thread tho.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom