Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Hunting Amanita's, Newfoundland?
    #13730950 -

Before I start, the rules state: "No asking when or where mushrooms, or a specific mushroom species will grow". However my question is regarding a few areas that I'm wondering if I could find fly agaric's in and also I have not been able to find this question asked for Newfoundland while searching. If any moderator still deems this thread unneccesary then by all means please remove it.

Moving on,
Hello mushroom folk, I come to ask a question about gathering the wondrous Amanita Muscaria(Or most likely Formosa, which is what I believe grows here). Recently I have become interested in many mushrooms, not just the psychoactive variety and on the top of that list is the Amanita Muscaria which I find to be very intriguing for many reasons. I have not bothered with it much as I did not want to order it online(that ruins the fun of hunting, does it not?)and I did not know it grew here until very recently.
I have not been able to find very much specific information regarding location and season of fly agaric, however I was able to gather that they grow usually around august to late fall and that they tend to grow near pine tree and other conifers(Which pine tree's are as abundant as dirt here in newfoundland). So I'm trying to pinpoint exactly what to look for in terms of where to find these and also the exact season and also am looking for comments as to if they "should" grow in a few certain places that I think they should.
Feel free to also comment if you believe that the psylocibin may also grow in these areas that I show(I am not showing address areas, only a google map screenshot of the area with no clear indication of location). I will also be purchasing a Field guide for common mushrooms in newfoundland that should help a bit in finding.
If it makes much of a different I am in eastern Newfoundland.

Locations in suspect:
http://i53.tinypic.com/dcx1et.png

Location #1 - An area of Conifers and some birch/other varieties, a small stream runs through part of this area. Very wooded, very rarely is this area ever visited by humans if at all(aside from myself occasionally). A decent bit of moss in certain areas.

Location #2 - Very large location span, a trail runs through this area from the far right up to the body of water. This trail is sometimes frequented by ATV's and the like but not all the often and there is a lot of woodland on the sides of this trail(as you can see, the trail is quite narrow, it is very rough which is why it's not too visited besides some hunters, I find it quite the adventure on an ATV and also dangerous in some areas). There is a plethora of different conifers and other tree's here. There are area's of "bog" or marshland and also areas of normal woods with just pine trees.
This location I would not just be looking for fly agaric due to the scale, I would be looking for any types of mushrooms Including edible, poisonous and psylocibin.

I am very new to mushrooms and mushroom hunting. When the season hits this year it will be my first time hunting. I have been reading up on identification but still have a lot to learn. I have tried my best to describe these areas from memory.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.


--------------------
Disclaimer: Anything posted by "Ophion" is fictional and is no way intended to be taken as truth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hunting Amanita's, Newfoundland? [Re: ophion]
    #13731568 -

In general, there are normally two main mushrooms seasons in temperate zones.

In spring there is a season where most mushroom hunters focus on morels.

In late summer there's another where the majority of edible species will be out in numbers. This is the season you're referring to above. If you have deciduous tress in the area, this season will typically peak a few weeks before the leaves turn before they fall. This season can last over a month, so feel free to go out a month or so before the leaves should start turning. Hike through the areas you think might produce mushrooms. If you don't know what they are, that's OK. Pick out a couple kinds that seem to be common and that you're interested in, and make some good collections. Be sure to get specimens of all ages, from young buttons to mature ones, but leave any that are obviously rotting. Keep track of what kinds of trees are nearby, how far you are from open water, and anything else you think might be useful.

Once you have them home, try to figure out what they are, using an appropriate book. Expect it to take a few hours the first few times. After you have your guess, try posting your info here, and there are lots of people who will help you to confirm or correct your ID.

An easy way to accelerate the learning process is to find a local person who already hunts mushrooms. They can show you how to tell apart some of the common mushrooms you have in your area, and will often show you a few good spots to hunt.



tl;dr - Go look when there might be mushrooms. That's the best way to find out where and when they are.

Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hunting Amanita's, Newfoundland? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #13733716 -

ToxicMan said:
In general, there are normally two main mushrooms seasons in temperate zones.

In spring there is a season where most mushroom hunters focus on morels.

In late summer there's another where the majority of edible species will be out in numbers. This is the season you're referring to above. If you have deciduous tress in the area, this season will typically peak a few weeks before the leaves turn before they fall. This season can last over a month, so feel free to go out a month or so before the leaves should start turning. Hike through the areas you think might produce mushrooms. If you don't know what they are, that's OK. Pick out a couple kinds that seem to be common and that you're interested in, and make some good collections. Be sure to get specimens of all ages, from young buttons to mature ones, but leave any that are obviously rotting. Keep track of what kinds of trees are nearby, how far you are from open water, and anything else you think might be useful.

Once you have them home, try to figure out what they are, using an appropriate book. Expect it to take a few hours the first few times. After you have your guess, try posting your info here, and there are lots of people who will help you to confirm or correct your ID.

An easy way to accelerate the learning process is to find a local person who already hunts mushrooms. They can show you how to tell apart some of the common mushrooms you have in your area, and will often show you a few good spots to hunt.



tl;dr - Go look when there might be mushrooms. That's the best way to find out where and when they are.

Happy mushrooming!



Thanks for that post, quite helpful! There are a mix of deciduous and coniferous tree's in these two locations so I should head out sometime in august before the leaves turn? And I notice some people reporting that they can find Amanita's all throughout the the year accept in winter, would that more of the case with a warmer climate area?(Like why is it that Amanita's wait till fall? Certain conditions?)


--------------------
Disclaimer: Anything posted by "Ophion" is fictional and is no way intended to be taken as truth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hunting Amanita's, Newfoundland? [Re: ophion]
    #15273476 -

It's the season for Psilocybe Semilanceata here in Newfoundland.
Picked so many shroomies in the last couple weeks. Gettin so high with all me buddies. I seen a workman post how he managed to get these tricky little bastards to rise, and for some reason just seeing that I do think it's possible to get these wild natives to grow indoors, so i'm gonna try, and hopefully I can get good results in the end. Not looking for a big yeild, just 1 jar, with even 10 mushrooms would satisfy me. Not even goin eatin them. Just want to see them grow.

Neways by's, i'll be talkin to ye later on sometime i spose.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* 1st hunt of the season. No mushrooms, but some insects! angryshroom 2,039 16 11/16/03 11:58 AM
by Seril
* Last weilii hunt of the season Gumby 1,732 9 11/01/02 11:01 AM
by GaNjAShRooM
* My last Wiley-Eye hunt of the season! (pics) jahfeelirie 4,912 5 11/09/02 10:53 PM
by jahfeelirie
* Amanita Muscaria, Oregon??? HoodedForestDwellr 6,345 6 05/09/04 05:30 PM
by HoodedForestDwellr
* **Official Victoria Psilocybin Season 2021** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆
( 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 )
ent 52,088 363 08/10/21 04:37 AM
by discobean
* Just picked a couple new Amanita Muscaria, pic
( 1 2 all )
rasjoe2112 4,470 32 08/28/04 12:17 PM
by ShroomerJon
* Evening Hunt PHOTOS!! Delirium_in_BC 689 4 10/27/04 08:30 AM
by PeaceBear
* 2002 Azure Hunting!!
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Joshua 24,280 115 09/10/03 05:56 AM
by Dobie

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,269 topic views. 1 members, 32 guests and 56 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.