Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 |  [ show all ]
Re: Why reincarnation doesn't make sense... [Re: soldatheero]
    #13483925 -

If that brain has the ability of self-awareness.  And with a huge number of possibilities, the chance of being brought into a self-aware brain is very low, unless you're talking about eternal recurrence.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation doesn't make sense... [Re: soldatheero]
    #13483956 -

soldatheero said:
I did not mean to say that the mind causes the body.
Quote:
Emotion, memory, experience, personality are all by-products of the self. Which is - the realization of the self in the moment.





I just mean that without conscious experience or without self there would be no personality and no experience and therefore no memories to be had. So just because these things vanish doesn't necessarily mean the real you vanishes, since they are superficial.

My point is that you are merely the realization of your own self. You are not the brain that causes the realization.

So when the link with this body is severed and I physically die. A new brain will cause the realization of myself to continue and I will not know the difference.

It's kind of like how your body is pulsing in and out of existence every second, in a sense you die with each breathe yet you keep coming back. That is why the Buddha said a human life lasts a single breathe.



I kind of understant what youre posing. But what about animals? What about insects, bacteria, cells, rocks etc.


--------------------
I am a chronic liar.

:etjesus: :whacker: :coleman: :awewtf:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation doesn't make sense... [Re: CycleThoughts]
    #13483973 -

What? All healthy human brains produce self-awareness.


--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation doesn't make sense... [Re: soldatheero]
    #13484018 -

soldatheero said:
What? All healthy human brains produce self-awareness.



Primates aren't?


--------------------
I am a chronic liar.

:etjesus: :whacker: :coleman: :awewtf:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation doesn't make sense... [Re: Seanfu]
    #13484122 -

You still seem to be coming from the perspective that you are the brain or are IN the brain. If a brain can't produce the realization of the self then how can the realization of the self occur in it?

Even if the the universe imploded into a singularity again. your realization of self would continue after the eons and eons necessarily to make the realization of self once again possible.

&There would have been no time passed as there would be no experience of time.

&BTW apes, elephants and dolphis all have self-awareness.


--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation doesn't make sense... [Re: soldatheero]
    #13484436 -

soldatheero said:
What? All healthy human brains produce self-awareness.



So when you're reborn, you're always reborn as another healthy human being?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation doesn't make sense... [Re: CycleThoughts]
    #13484602 -

I can see where soldatheero is coming from.

We live on a planet that is breathing life in a way. Why wouldn't our collective consciousness behave in accordance to the natural properties of our world and our genetic make up. The brain appropriated itself to serve the species' survival.

Is the brain nothing more than a tool under which the guise of consciousness exerts its force? Which is to say the brain is a complicated replica of preexisting chemical conditions.

I think the teachings of western religions provide a way of thinking that is more in accordance with our perception of natural cycle's of life than christianity etc.

I'm rambling. So idk, any thoughts?


--------------------
The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to selfishness;
From selfishness to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation doesn't make sense... [Re: Rainman420]
    #13485733 -

I've never really understood reincarnation either. I usually ask

anyone who believes it (there are more than you may think), can a dog,

cat, bird, sponge, mushroom, be reincarnated? What sets us apart from

these organisms? The fact that we supposedly have an ever-lasting

soul? If animals can be reborn, what about plants? Sure they don't

have a brain, but I don't see anymore proof that humans have a soul as

there is proof that an oak tree has a brain. You are right, it is the

experiences and genetics that make a person. Frankly, I'd be more

inclined to believe in the traditional afterlife than in reincarnation.

Quote:
My atoms will be recycled, but to say my consciousness will somehow continue is on par with the other world religions IMO.



True. The universe wastes nothing.


--------------------
One day we all will die.

If were lucky, warm in our beds,

But in truth, we lived two lives.

One external, and one in our heads.

--- A.O.R.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13485742 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
andrewss said:
My soul is beautiful, no matter what you say, your words can't bring me down



Scribbles down words and starts humming. May be a song in here somewhere...

You sir, are a pessious and eunich snowflake - or some kind of flake.



:smokeweedallday:


--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: andrewss]
    #13485767 -

I have no reason to think there is personal reincarnation. Without the personal aspect, the question becomes meaningless.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: topdog82]
    #13495914 -

topdog82 said:
I struggle to fathom the idea that anybody can be "reborn"

When I say "I", I am referring to me as a body, as well as my thinking process, personality, possessions, and experiences
So "I" is really a collection of all the things that make a body+brain into a talking, thinking person.
So every second, we are collecting new experiences, and this "I" changes with every moment and event which I experience

To say that "I" will be reborn into say, a storeclerk named Joe, is illogical
The only way that I can be reborn, is if all of my possessions, experiences, personality, and thoughts would be applied to a newborn baby as it comes out the womb

I am probably not being clear, but if you understand what I saying, and agree/disagree, try and explain it a bit better than I did as well as your reasoning for your opinion



If someone believes in reincarnation do you actually think what they are implying when they claim "I will be reborn" is that they believe it is just their consciousness being transplanted from the moment they die?

You're just picking apart language not reincarnation.


--------------------
See my shadow changing,
Stretching up and over me.
Soften this old armor.
Hoping I can clear the way
By stepping through my shadow,
Coming out the other side.
Step into the shadow.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: Yith]
    #13496006 -

Yith said:
topdog82 said:
I struggle to fathom the idea that anybody can be "reborn"

When I say "I", I am referring to me as a body, as well as my thinking process, personality, possessions, and experiences
So "I" is really a collection of all the things that make a body+brain into a talking, thinking person.
So every second, we are collecting new experiences, and this "I" changes with every moment and event which I experience

To say that "I" will be reborn into say, a storeclerk named Joe, is illogical
The only way that I can be reborn, is if all of my possessions, experiences, personality, and thoughts would be applied to a newborn baby as it comes out the womb

I am probably not being clear, but if you understand what I saying, and agree/disagree, try and explain it a bit better than I did as well as your reasoning for your opinion



If someone believes in reincarnation do you actually think what they are implying when they claim "I will be reborn" is that they believe it is just their consciousness being transplanted from the moment they die?

You're just picking apart language not reincarnation.



It is picking apart language but I think reincarnation is picking itself apart as well.


--------------------
I am a chronic liar.

:etjesus: :whacker: :coleman: :awewtf:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: Yith]
    #13496019 -

The idea of reincarnation is about as vague as the idea of God.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: CycleThoughts]
    #13496396 -

CycleThoughts said:
The idea of reincarnation is about as vague as the idea of God.



I think anything with so many varied beliefs attached to it will be vague.


--------------------
I am a chronic liar.

:etjesus: :whacker: :coleman: :awewtf:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: topdog82]
    #13497481 -

topdog82 said:
I struggle to fathom the idea that anybody can be "reborn"

When I say "I", I am referring to me as a body, as well as my thinking process, personality, possessions, and experiences
So "I" is really a collection of all the things that make a body+brain into a talking, thinking person.
So every second, we are collecting new experiences, and this "I" changes with every moment and event which I experience

To say that "I" will be reborn into say, a storeclerk named Joe, is illogical
The only way that I can be reborn, is if all of my possessions, experiences, personality, and thoughts would be applied to a newborn baby as it comes out the womb

I am probably not being clear, but if you understand what I saying, and agree/disagree, try and explain it a bit better than I did as well as your reasoning for your opinion



it's a new ego, so it's not really 'you.'  This is 'your' only life.  However, all your thoughts and habits from this life will regroup (they're called skandas) regroup so the new person will share your traits.  Also, the new life is, in the infinite interconnectedness of cause and effect in the universe, caused by your death.  So it's the same stream of consciousness.  Like fire being spread from one candle to another.


--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: g00ru]
    #13497683 -

Quote:
However, all your thoughts and habits from this life will regroup (they're called skandas) regroup so the new person will share your traits.



And you know this how? (Not that I expect a real answer.)


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13498123 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:
However, all your thoughts and habits from this life will regroup (they're called skandas) regroup so the new person will share your traits.



And you know this how? (Not that I expect a real answer.)




Thoughts and habits are learned.  Why would they carry over?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: CycleThoughts]
    #13498146 -

Because they are energetic imprints. Energy doesn't disappear when you die, it just takes a new form.


--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: Kickle]
    #13498229 -

Same question.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why reincarnation dosen't make sense... [Re: Kickle]
    #13498258 -

Kickle said:
Because they are energetic imprints. Energy doesn't disappear when you die, it just takes a new form.



So if it takes a "new" form, why would they carry over?  Wouldn't it be something new entirely?  If so, reincarnation sounds more like the natural recycling of the universes atoms.  It's not philosophical at all, just scientifically proven.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Yet another reincarnation thread
( 1 2 3 all )
amuzakat 2,726 44 12/06/10 08:11 AM
by desert father
* ... in Literature, and everything else
( 1 2 all )
shadowed 2,633 23 05/06/10 02:16 AM
by Noteworthy
* Reincarnation and Christianity
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Jellric 8,058 60 12/04/04 05:31 PM
by Fucknuckle
* Mind Blowing Books/Literature?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Greentality 5,637 62 03/05/14 02:37 PM
by DividedQuantum
* Reincarnation nutters
( 1 2 3 all )
OrgoneConclusion 2,805 58 08/21/13 08:24 PM
by crumblebum
* Reincarnation
( 1 2 3 all )
Poid 3,807 52 04/17/10 07:50 PM
by deCypher
* Reincarnation
( 1 2 all )
OrgoneConclusion 2,010 25 07/21/16 05:20 PM
by laughingdog
* If reincarnation was proven.. would you? (poll) (MORE SPECIFIC)
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
giza 6,435 91 03/01/11 08:37 AM
by DisoRDeR

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
13,784 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 41 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 20 queries.