Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Body Psychological Temperament Types
    #1261638 - 01/30/03 09:44 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Edited by Mr_Mushrooms (01/30/03 07:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Body/Psychological/Temperament Types [Re: World Spirit]
    #1262821 - 01/30/03 04:52 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

That's weird... I'm not sure how scientific it is, but it is definitely weird.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
    #1262851 - 01/30/03 05:01 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

So, mister sheldon essentially discovered that there are three body types: fat, muscular and skinny.

I think he just wanted to look at college-age men. :tongue: :tongue:  :grin: 

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
Re: Body/Psychological/Temperament Types [Re: David_Scape]
    #1262867 - 01/30/03 05:11 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm a bit puzzled by the artists distribution of emotion among the three characters.

Why isn't the Ectomorph somewhat happy like the Extreme Mesomorph or entirely blissful like the Extreme Endomorph?

Anonymous

Re: Body Psychological Temperament Types [Re: World Spirit]
    #1263309 - 01/30/03 07:52 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I had to edit the title because it was causing the screen to be too wide for some viewers.

Btw, I have heard of this.  The first time I ran across it was when I was in high school over 30 years ago.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Body/Psychological/Temperament Types [Re: Sclorch]
    #1263836 - 01/30/03 11:22 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1264237 - 01/31/03 03:17 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well this excerpt leads me to believe it is pure garbage.
Stereotypes tell us little about individual psychology... especially when the individual isn't a pink.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1264601 - 01/31/03 05:56 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You're not a chubby boy are you? I always pictured you as thin as a rail.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1266302 - 01/31/03 04:41 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Body/Psychological/Temperament Types [Re: ]
    #1266989 - 01/31/03 09:01 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You're not a chubby boy are you? I always pictured you as thin as a rail.

Neither of those actually. I'd say I'm pretty much average all around... 81 kg, 1.8 m... blah blah Maybe one day I'll have that great, American, pot-belly physique, but I don't really plan on it.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1267342 - 02/01/03 05:14 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Why do you f**king bother?! Because your cerebrotonia is run through with gut-gripping masochism, that's why. What is the difference between preaching and trying to convince by way of reason, content?  :smirk:

Sheldon was a genius and I've used his Constitutional Psychology for decades to help me relate to different kinds of people. Extraordinarily practical knowledge!  We've gotten so accustommed to hearing PC stuff about 'stereotyping' being prejudicial, that we have once again thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Types and Archetypes alike are grounded in the physical and psychical domains respectively, which Jung combined to form the concept of 'psychoid.' This was the basis for his incomplete work with physicist Wolfgang Pauli that was to create a model of the universe (another version of a Grand Unified Theory) in which space-time and psyche, were two sides of the same Reality. There was descriptive power for paranormal events - physical events being perceived simultaneously by individual consciousness during clairvoyance, or  the precognitive perception of events yet to occur in space-time. All of history being simultaneously present outside of space-time, but existent nevertheless, and sometimes perceptible before it unfolds temporally. Believe it or not! 

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Body/Psychological/Temperament Types [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1267512 - 02/01/03 07:20 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Markos: Sheldon was a genius and I've used his Constitutional Psychology for decades to help me relate to different kinds of people. Extraordinarily practical knowledge!

Now this is more of the stuff I'd like to hear about.
I'd like to know when and how it is best applied... it's limitations... how strictly you adhere to it... basically, I'd like concise details (if that makes any sense).

Markos, if you can think of any particular cases that you'd like to talk about (and at least TRY not to write a 20 page essay)... I'm all ears.  :wink: 

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#1267612 - 02/01/03 08:11 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Sheldon's own books are out of print, but Hall and Lindzey's 'Theories of Personality,' a graduate level text book, may still devote a decent chapter to Sheldon. I guess my 'hook,' "practical knowledge," which I added for YOUR benefit worked :smile:

I know how people tend to behave based on their Sheldonian constitution. I also know how they tend to become mentally ill: ectomorphs tend toward thought disorders like schizophrenia, mesomorphs tend toward paranoic disorders, and endomorphs tend toward affective disorders like bipolar. I happen to be meso-ectomorphic (by way of example). I am small boned, about 5'9" tall, but reaching a maximum of 145 lbs., and now a bit less. I am cerebrotonic, prefer solitude when upset, have thick hair and quickly growing nails, an above average sexual appetite, and somewhat haunted by nervousness and anxiety which can be somatacized by stomach upset - all characterizing my essential ectomorphia.

However, my shoulders are broader than my waist, my chest has some pectoral development (not flattened or sunken), my biceps/triceps show definition from working out, as do my deltoids, trapezius, and to a slight degree my latissimus dorsi (lats). My rectus femoris or thigh muscles, like most ectomorphic muscles, will not dilate too much, but lengthen, so no matter how many squats or leg presses with 300+ pounds, my thighs are gonna stay slim. Notice how I moved to talking about muscles. Kinda different from my usual posts. I'm not pasty-faced and effete, but neither am I aggressive. I do not shrink away from confrontation, but I do not look for fights. I've taken Judo and Jujitsu as a kid, and did well in basic gymnastics and weight-training, while shunning all team sports in school. These are all attenuated mesomorphic qualities, in a basically ectomorphic individual.

Brief enough? There's lots of ditties that Sheldom came up with, like a preponderance of endo-mesomorphs among major criminals - like we didn't know about most bullies in school vs. jock types (by-and-large). Experience will shore up Sheldon's studies. 

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1268267 - 02/01/03 12:53 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmm....

Sclorch: Stereotypes tell us little about individual psychology... especially when the individual isn't a pink.

My words above allude to something that, it seems, you have skipped over. When the locus of selection shifts (as it has) from genes to memes, I think that body type and whatnot has a lesser effect on the behavior of the creature in question. Moreover, in civilized societies the locus tends to shift even further within the population. It's that whole "ubermensch" thing... I'm not trying to be pretentious, but you know you're different from the majority. I'm no pink and neither are you, so I argue that Sheldon's work hardly even applies to us.

--------------------

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
    #1268526 - 02/01/03 02:07 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the link.  I found it very interesting and quite accurate.  I think that I'm an extreme ectomorph.  I fit the body type to a T.  I was going over the temperment chart and all my answers fell into the ectotonia column.

P.S.  Being exposed to endless noise would almost certainly drive me insane and incite homicidal or suicidal tendencys. :grin:

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

Edited by 3eyedgod (02/01/03 02:12 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#1268954 - 02/01/03 04:20 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

"Pink"?
I can speak only for my own experience. Constitutional Psychology is one distinct operating dimension to what I am, how and why I process things the way I do. It is a deterministic aspect to my makeup which embodies both pros and cons. I also embody existential aspects which allow me to transcend certain deterministic aspects, yet those deterministic aspects define certain limitations. Those limitations also define who/what I am, and since I like myself, those limitations are not really so much limiting as they are defining. I am rather happy that I am a philosopher rather than a football linebacker. These roles are very much determined by constitution. Extreme mesomorphs are action-oriented, not contemplatives, and ectomorphs would break easily on the gridiron even if they did transcend their physical limitations and land a position with the NFL. But such overcompensations are anomalies. Rotund and comfort-seeking endomorphs also do not tend to like combat, and neither are they given to a life of asceticism or contemplation with its usual rigors and meager diets (despite the Friar Tuck character of the rotund Franciscan monk in Robin Hood).

--------------------

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (02/02/03 03:36 AM)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Body/Psychological/Temperament Types [Re: 3eyedgod]
    #1268995 - 02/01/03 04:40 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1269003 - 02/01/03 04:46 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#1269962 - 02/02/03 02:50 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I stand corrected for my anomalous redundancy. You really ought to try a Teddy Bear instead of that heavy, sharp-cornered dictionary.

--------------------

OfflineLarrythescaryrex
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
Re: Body Psychological Temperament Types [Re: World Spirit]
    #1269969 - 02/02/03 03:04 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not a scientist, I'm a racist who believes stereotypes determine the future.

that is all.  :tongue:

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag