Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: NS, Canada's Darkside
Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) Theories & Statements Vs. Myths
    #11214756 - 10/09/09 01:41 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

I'm creating this thread to generate discussion on some of the interesting theories etc. that I've heard when it comes to Semilanceatas! Please feel Free to post anything you may be curious about, fact or fiction!

--------------------

Edited by Liberty King (10/26/10 06:43 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAsht0n
love ♥
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ellan Vannin Flag
Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: Liberty King]
    #11214879 - 10/09/09 02:00 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Mushrooms drop their spores without people having to flick them so I'd imagine that has a negligible effect on their reproduction.

I'm only speculating but perhaps overharvesting and changes in environmental factors (soil compaction, flooding etc) could stop a patch from fruiting in subsequent seasons.

Edited by Asht0n (10/09/09 02:04 PM)

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: Asht0n]
    #11215291 - 10/09/09 03:04 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Environmental Factors definitely come into play... I realize the spores are being distributed regardless but it's more so people ripping out the "Roots" and the effect on the mycelium network I'm wondering about I guess.
I've noticed the "spots" around here seem to almost rotate every few years. I've heard people say that the network goes dormant after it fruits... then fruits again a few seasons later!... I can't remember the exact term they used for it.. It was in a paper from someone in Ireland I think!.. anyone that might know what I'm talking about feel free to drop your two cents!

--------------------

Edited by Liberty King (10/23/10 07:44 AM)

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: Liberty King]
    #11215317 - 10/09/09 03:07 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

From my personal observations, I can attest that many mushroom species indeed seem to have considerable intervals between years of prolific fruiting. I've noticed this particularly in a. rubescens, a. muscaria and armillaria species. Liberty caps, in my experience, actually show less intense 'cyclic' behavior, although it certainly is noticeable.

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? *DELETED* [Re: koraks]
    #11231735 - 10/12/09 09:43 AM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Post deleted by Liberty King

Reason for deletion: repedative

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #11231754 - 10/12/09 09:53 AM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Liberty King said:
1. They are not easily grown Indoors!
2. They don't grow directly on Poo?

Well, I'm afraid these statements are not the best tool to trigger any discussion. Your first statement is simply true; they can be grown indoors, but to the best of my knowledge there has been only one documented successful attempt. The second statement refers to a characteristic of the species, which is consistent with the observation that every mushroom species has its own habitat and substrate, from which it just won't deviate. Some species are a bit less picky, but in principle, substrate choice has a lot do to with the way the organism works (e.g. in terms of metabolism) so it's pretty much inherent. Liberty caps will only fruit from soil, just as human beings can only breathe air and not water.

What would you like to achieve with a discussion on liberty caps?

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: koraks]
    #11234372 - 10/12/09 06:57 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

What I would like to learn is anything I can about Liberty Caps!... Especially any new theories etc... I know that growing them indoors is difficult, the only decent documentation I've seen is Workman!.. So I put that as a fact!.. the fact it states they don't grow on poo.. I threw out there because I know many people who think they do so I thought it might generate some discussion... Perhaps I thought by throwing out a couple things that others might do so as well... possibly leading to discussion on things I haven't heard or disproving things I may have believed!... Separating fact from fiction while enlightening myself and others I guess is my goal....

--------------------

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

#11244590 - 10/14/09 10:23 AM (8 years, 8 days ago)

SNOW... Does one snowfall, even light snow, mean the end of Liberty Season?.... As a kids we were always lead to believe as soon as snow occurred the season was over... Is this always the case?... They predicted possible flurries here last night and my lightning fast season flashed before my eyes!... Since we only got rain I'm alright today.. I guess only time will tell my answer to this question... but I'm hoping now it's a Myth!

--------------------

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

#11244678 - 10/14/09 10:53 AM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Liberty Cap mycelium network or "Roots".... What is the relationship between Grass & Libs?.. Is the Lib like a parasite Hi-jacking in on the grasses supply of nutrients, eventually killing the grass? Or is it a symbiotic relationship where the grass also receives some "Benefit"?... Maybe the Lib just "Feeds" off the decomposing grass and that's it?... So does it actually grow in the dirt? or more so above it?... I'll investigate my next day out if the season doesn't end...

--------------------

Offlinehexamine
Stranger
    #13373084 - 10/22/10 09:08 PM (7 years, 10 hours ago)

evening, im v interested in this too.

10 years ago I found a field that defied belief. A few hundred could be picked in 10 mins. Insane liberty cap flourishing. The strangest thing. We climbed fences with bikes and crossed rivers and scaled hills and by shear freak luck the field was there. We picked it a lot for 2 years.
The 3rd year...BANG....no more mushrooms, not a thing.

My mushroom picking has been poor since then. I felt like an old friend had deserted me, v sad. I tried one year and again recently,  nothing.

Its soo fickle. All I can say is was the field to guage and measure all other fields by, this one had 10x more, it was biblical. I suppose I will spend the rest of my life (age 36, started picking 18 ) trying to replicate this field.

Either way I would like to know from those who know face, is this natural breeding format of did a farmer spray fungicide field wide after seeing us two years running? Will this field ever come again?
Are they dormant?

Good picking to all, another few weeks and thats it.

:  )

Offlinedip
Stranger
Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: hexamine]
    #13373325 - 10/22/10 09:51 PM (7 years, 9 hours ago)

Hey hex, it wasn't fungicide.  They (Fungicides) don't work that way.  They are sprayed directly on plants to be protected and typically are not active against higher fungi, ie....mushrooms.

dip

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: hexamine]
    #13373551 - 10/22/10 10:45 PM (7 years, 8 hours ago)

Wow.... I forgot I ever made this hopeless thread lol... Anyway "Hex" I too had a field like that, a couple actually in different parts of the province!... Anyway, All anyone can really do is speculate and most people on "Here" don't bother to... Personally I used to attribute it to over-picking or "improper" picking but am now lead to beleive neither of them are really a factor!... I think number 1 is just "Proper Conditions" (weather, nutrients etc.) sometimes the "stars just align perfectly" and we happen to be there lol I have kinda noticed recently that my former best field started getting a lot more variations of "weeds" over-coming it! seems like a few  years after they suck they get taken over by invading vegitations...lol again not saying that's the case, just something I noticed in my areas! I have found that in over a decade of hunting, in my "neck ov da woods" at least, the sizes of "patches" has been decreasing drastically.... I used to get 100's or even 1000's in certain areas. Now I often find solitary Libs and if I'm lucky, small patches of 30 or so, it's kinda depressing but hopefully one day everything aligns again and I walk into one of those "Legendary" patches!... anyways until then "Good Luck Hunting"!

--------------------

Edited by Liberty King (11/30/10 11:03 AM)

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: dip]
    #13373648 - 10/22/10 11:08 PM (7 years, 8 hours ago)

i still pick fields that i first found over 15 years ago. it is true, some fields just seem to stop fruiting. but they never stop completely. theres always a few here and there and you have to factor in the fact that ...... your secret field mught not be secret. other people pick too .

some common myths:

libs start growing at the first frost.

totally wrong. i found them technically in the summer this year before the fall equinox.and that statement i never argued as a youngster because i got to pick about a month before anyone else started!!:wink:

look for fields with cows, bacuse cow shit is the key.

very common misconception. my fvorite field is a hay field. plus iver found them in a baseball diamond and tall grass around a creek.

i'll try to thing of more.

--------------------

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #13374912 - 10/23/10 08:05 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah "we" were always told that they started growing at the 1st frost too.. Most "nubies" are still under the impression this is true. A decent frost after a lot of rain is usually great for a "flush" so I guess people just see the noticable Libs then and assume it's true. Most dedicated hunters are usually making finds before then though! Also I realize too that a lot of people beleive they have to be found in "former" pastures.... they're great places but I've picked on many front lawns, baseball & Soccer Fields, Graveyards and paths!

MYTHS:
Libs don't start growing until after the 1st Frost!
You only find Libs in "animal" pastures!

FACTS:
Libs are not easily grown indoors!

When I was really young "we" were also told Libs came out at night and died off during the day :foreheadslap:... It was probably just to keep us from finding too many before the "older crowd"... Like fools though we were out every night with our flashlights :confused:

--------------------

Edited by Liberty King (10/23/10 10:40 AM)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Estonia Flag
    #13374928 - 10/23/10 08:20 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

This is actually a good thread and needs to be added too. I would like to chime in also with the fact that the field does not at all need to be a cow, sheep, horse or any other farmed animal field for them to grow. So far I haven't found any in an animal pasture, but I am sure I would if I looked :wink: The field of course should have the proper type of grasses (sedge - but maybe that again is just my experience) and actually so far I haven't found any in fields without rushes(Juncus effusus)growing there too. I have asked around and others seem to have had the same experience. Perhaps that is a myth though, just not sure.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineMetalMachineMusic
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Darlington
Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #13374938 - 10/23/10 08:24 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

There's a park up the road from me that doesnt have the rushes growing, just your everyday small football pitch, very few Liberty Caps grow there mind.

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #13374976 - 10/23/10 08:46 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I think tufts of grass definately help with shade and moisture, not to mention they probably serve well to "catch" spores. but they are definately not "Necessary"..... I've picked manicured "front yards" and "Sods" a million times..... Lately though (past 2-5yrs) they seem to suck compared to the more "rough" fields!

--------------------

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Estonia Flag
    #13375082 - 10/23/10 09:46 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting... yeah, I've yet to find them in manicured lawns or anywhere other than rough fields but given winds and spore distribution they should technically grow in those spots too... perhaps they just favour sedges. I think the rushes might just indicate that the field has the amount of moisture they prefer. But you can certainly add that it is a myth that they only grow in animal pastures.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sweden Flag
    #13378931 - 10/24/10 04:13 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

This is my experiences after 7 years of picking liberty caps.

About frost / start of the season:

The first frost is like a signal for the mushrooms to fruit. Before the first frost you can find mushrooms, a few here and there, but not in great numbers. The first appear when average temperatures are about 15C. You can go in a T-shirt and pick them at that time. In the end of the season you have a thick jacket and gloves...

About habitats:

The first year is always the best. This is true for all of the 50 or so places where I found them. From cow/horse pastures to lawns...

If you pick all the mushrooms every other week and pick even the small ones you destroy their ability to spread spores and secure survival of the specie. It will take several years without you hunting there for it to recover. I have seen this happen many times. The only way to combat this is to leave small mushrooms alone. Pick the big ones that already have released their spores.

And pastures with animals are not the only good habitats, it can fruit in great numbers on ordinary lawns, but you have to search 100 lawns to find one that is good. In pastures they are more common, 1/5 with libs, and 1/10 that is good.

Signs of the season coming to an end:

When there is several cold nights with frost in a row. After that, you can still find mushrooms, but not many. It can even fall snow that lies on the ground for a few days and you can find mushrooms after that, but no new ones will fruit.

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Re: Liberty Caps (Semilanceata) What's Fact and what's Debatable? [Re: knarkkorven]
    #13379351 - 10/24/10 09:56 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

picked almost til christmas last year!! if its mild they can keep fruiting.

but you right, a couple frosty mornings in a row in november or decemder and its all over.:thumbdown:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification