Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLevi7
old hand
Liberty cap confirmation!
    #347739 - 06/24/01 03:22 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, I've come to the conclusion that actual (liberty caps) Ps. semilanceata don't fruit in the spring. Some books state that they can be found in the spring to a lesser degree, but MJShroomer says the season is August-on in the fall, depending on the cold weather.
Before I ever had the internet or any books, years ago, I met a guy that took me picking for the first time(September) and showed me some good spots for this particular mushroom. That day, he picked maybe 3 oz. versus my 1 maybe oz.(due to the fact that I had to ask about every little patch I came across). I was happy to pick for several weeks until a little later than Halloween. I asked this guy if they would come back up and he said,"Not until spring." Well, the next spring, we went hunting in the same fields and found plenty, but less than fall, and I'm almost positive that they were Ps. semilanceata, because they looked exactly the same as the ones I had gained the expertise to pick a few months earlier.
I know they weren't Panaeolus Subbalteatus, because we all know the resemblence is nil. My mind is a bit foggy , as I didn't know much about mushrooms at all then.
The area is Blaine/Ferndale area in WA state. Were those spring mushrooms Ps. semilanceata or maybe a look-alike? Ps. strictipes? I don't know, but placebo is obsolete when it comes to the effects of the liberty cap.
I'm wondering, because of the information that totally rules out spring fruitings with this particular mushroom.
MJ? Help me out?
Stay cool!-Levi7.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: Liberty cap confirmation! [Re: Levi7]
    #347924 - 06/24/01 02:51 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I've only found libs a very few times in May/June but they DO fruit in exceptionally cool wet years--just not as prolifically as in the Fall.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: Liberty cap confirmation! [Re: Woodsman]
    #347987 - 06/24/01 05:04 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks, Woodsman. It's been a long time since I've seen them, I beginning to wonder if that is actually what I was picking. I didn't know much then, even less than now.
Stay cool!-Levi7.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification