Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePurple_Spirals
Lycanthrope
Loc: London, Barnet, UK
Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: Sin Bad]
    #2056773 - 10/30/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

its a thin manual for sale in camden town, probably amazon etc aswell, which lists the mushrooms in the UK, what they look like, where they are commenly found, it's not great.... but it may be necessary.

--------------------
Dazed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: Purple_Spirals]
    #2056818 - 10/30/03 10:39 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

In all my time hunting I have only ever found 1 single libby in a livestock field. Mostly I find them on golf courses and in short mown grass where no manure is used.

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

OfflineSin Bad
Mushroom Man

Loc: Japan
Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: MetaShroom]
    #2059748 - 10/31/03 02:37 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Oh.. "the guide to british psilocybin mushrooms".. yes I have that book.. it's a little dated, but still worth having. Paul Stamets book on psilocybin mushrooms around of the world is a must too.

Finally the rains have come, so I'm going for one last hunt this weekend. Will post results next week.

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Loc: Kent, England
    #2059753 - 10/31/03 02:44 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

There are lots of parameters that define a good site. I know one field with horses in it, which is prolific whereas the field right next door has sheep in it and I've never found a single lib there.

I've got a theory that smaller sheep and cow fields are looked after by farmers and therefore could have been used for all sorts of things over the years (crops, fertilisers, pesticides etc), while fields with horses in tend to be rented by the general public and the soil does not get any sort of treatment. On the rolling hills etc the sheep roam free and the soil is unlikely to have had crops or other stuff in it so those areas are also prolific.

When it comes to football pitches and golf courses, who knows where the top soil came from.

--------------------
who knows, who cares, who dares to question?

OfflinePurple_Spirals
Lycanthrope
Loc: London, Barnet, UK
Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: gwum]
    #2059774 - 10/31/03 03:02 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

that theory makes good sense...but why isnt a single mushroom growing in a huge unmowed field full of horses near me... i'll have to check again now the rain has come, but when the frost comes, the mushrooms don't grow, right? so that means that if we have any intentions of finding any, we best get looking soon... but we have and still havent found much, so surely that means that they will come later?....either that or they just don't grow in large quantities near me...shit. this is gna end up with a long drive to wales.

--------------------
Dazed

OfflineSin Bad
Mushroom Man

Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: Purple_Spirals]
    #2059908 - 10/31/03 05:23 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Liberty Caps will still appear after several frosts, but the numbers will dimish as it gets colder.

I think that we won't see much of a crop this year, as the fruiting conditions just haven't been conducive.. ie far to hot and dry, and then cold and dry and now its only just started to rain. We may get a short season now that the rains have come, but I'm not holding my breath.

OfflineJimBoB
sucky sucky 10dollar

Loc: England.
    #2059916 - 10/31/03 05:31 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

the rain is indeed here, it has rained here every day for the past 4 days. I think I might have a look on the weekend :smile: 

OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: JimBoB]
    #2060292 - 10/31/03 10:41 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yes the next few weeks are looking good

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: MetaShroom]
    #2086487 - 11/09/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Went on a big search today in Kent. I'm trying to find some new haunts as my old ones are proving poor at the moment.

Found patches of different non-active species in fields occupied by sheep and cattle. All very small and hardly reaching above the short grass.

I found one solitary lib on a school football pitch but after another 20 mins searching found no more. I didn't manage to get out after last weekends rains. Conditions still seemed perfect today with a little drizzle but still zilcho.

--------------------

OfflineJollyRoger
Stranger
    #2091730 - 11/11/03 08:15 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hello, nnewbie and general 'shroom novice here...I've only ever eaten 'shrooms that i've bought from a store, so I decided to try my luck at hunting.

I went searching for the first time in East Sussex yesterday just before it got dark. I found in one field what appear to be Liberty Caps but i'm unsure due to the very small size of some of them.

They were growing in a relatively small field with average/longish grass that was being grazed by sheep (who were now grazing at the other end), in the most damp part that was being slightly sheltered by some trees in the next field. Also some had been covered by leaves that had fallen from the trees, and others were turning quite dark grey in colour.

It hasn't crossed my mind to try and eat them or anything yet until I am as close to positive as possible as to what species they are - i'll try and post a photo when I get some new batteries for my digital camera.

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: JollyRoger]
    #2115352 - 11/17/03 06:22 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Actually made it to the field near my parents in Lincolnshire that I mentioned in an earlier posting. The field in question is about 5 acres, but only 1/2 an acre of it supports libs.

It rained on the Friday I travelled up and found 200 on the Saturday in an hour and 600 on the Sunday in the same time. I have taken some photographs and aim to post them once digitised. Came across a couple of variants with much thicker stems as well as Mycena, Conocybe and Panaeolus tricksters. I walked back through the field an hour later and new pins were already coming up in areas I'd previously searched.

I also have photos of three surrounding fields with no active species. When you look at the grass types, you can clearly see the difference. Took some soil samples for PH analysis too.

Will drop the photos soon I hope. The Season is defo not over and I aim to resume my hunt in Kent this week.

--------------------

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #2115400 - 11/17/03 06:38 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I found a few down south this weekend
and also took soil samples.

--------------------

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: Paid]
    #2117130 - 11/17/03 03:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

My soil Sample registered a PH of 4/5 i.e. very acid.

A sample from a neighbouring field registered the same (but no mush).

I took some photos of lib fairy rings and hope to post these soon. I think the variants I found might be Strictipes as they did not have much of an umbo and had much thicker stems. It was the thickness of the stems as I nipped them that alerted me to them being different to normal libs.

Going by the number of pins I saw and the fact that only last week the area was reported as empty, I'd say the season has only just begun (in Lincolnshire at least). I hope that's the case, cos I'm still hoping that I'll be able to find some closer to home this week end.

How is everyone else doing in England?

--------------------

OfflineAjoc
stranger ...than youthink
Loc: Southampton, UK
    #2130538 - 11/23/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I've been out a couple of times.

During lunchtime at college last friday we were out on the common for a smoke and I noticed mushrooms were EVERYWHERE, very big evil looking amanitas (the white ones, didn't touch them), and a lot of small mushrooms.

I thought some were liberty caps at first but the gills were too white and they were just wrong...

Then at my friends house, we checked the cricket pitch near his house saturday morning and there were LOADS of the same tiny lookalike mushroom. No sign of liberty caps though... might go on a proper look next weekend.

Any luck with those lib rings, gwum?

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: Ajoc]
    #2130593 - 11/23/03 02:23 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ajoc said:
I thought some were liberty caps at first but the gills were too white and they were just wrong...

Then at my friends house, we checked the cricket pitch near his house saturday morning and there were LOADS of the same tiny lookalike mushroom.

Sounds like mycenas to me.

I was out in the Peak District again today and got about 500 or so Libs, big buggers as well !  :grin:

Found quite a few on Thursday too  :evil:

(pics + trip report) 

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: Ajoc]
    #2131674 - 11/24/03 02:06 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I went out in Kent yesterday and searched in sheep fields, cow fields, a school playing field and a cricket pitch and found all manner of shaggy ink caps, mycenas, common ink caps and pans, but not a single lib.

Soil type definitely more clay than peaty soil though, apart from footy pitch, which had better top soil on it.

Hope to get my pictures from previous successful hunt digitised today.

--------------------

OfflineSin Bad
Mushroom Man

#2139740 - 11/27/03 05:42 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Went for a hunt last weekend (21st/22nd Nov), and it is was the best harvest so far. About 2000 libs picked in 4 hours. Some huge ones too (4cm in diameter) I really noticed that there are so many variations when it come to the liberty cap, I really wished I'd had a camera with me.

I went hunting on the sunday mornining and picked about 100 frozen liberty caps. I predict that the season will continue well into december.

Happy hunting.

I really want to find some cyanescens though. So far, no good.

OfflineAndyJ
Stranger
Loc: South Wales, UK
    #2140069 - 11/27/03 10:44 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Hello everybody, I'm newly registered here, but I've been following the threads for some time, as you do. I'd just like to add my recent hunting experiences.

Last year was the first time I started looking in earnest, and I was amazed by how many were growing in South Wales from mid October until mid November. Over the course of four trips, I picked about 1000 psilocybe semilanceata (I think, but see later) on a well-known hill to the north of Cardiff.

This year, the first ones I found were on Oct 1, quite high up in the Lake District. Picked about 150, all in good condition, and could have picked lots more.

Since then, I've been concentrating on South Wales, specifically the hill north of Cardiff. I went up three times in October, and found nothing. It was exceptionally dry. On Nov 7 I picked 100, although the ground was still quite dry. Nov 23 again about 100. Nov 26, after low temperatures, rain and hail, practically nothing. Each time when I was successful, the mushrooms were restricted to a small part of the mountain, rather than being all over it as they were last year.

Today, Nov 27, on a hill in the Newport area, I found about 50, some quite large (cap about 2.5cm, stem about 7cm) and in good condition. The ground was very wet (we've had heavy rain on and off for the last three days), and standing water was frozen over.

I'm surprised by Sin Bad's haul, and that of BiOTeK in the Peak District. It seems to be a very different story up north compared to down here in Wales.

On the subject of identification (and I apologise if this is slightly off thread), I'm somewhat confused by the photos on this site. I had always assumed that what I was picking was psilocybe semilanceata (Liberty Cap), since I understand it's the most common in the British Isles, and everything I've got has been almost identical to those at www.island.org/prescience/p4/semilanceata.htm. I ate a lot last year, and into this year, and they certainly hit the spot. But the photos on this site http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23488 of semilanceata show much darker, browner, more slimy fungi, whereas the ones that actually look like what I pick are identified as panaeolus castaneifolius. Obviously there is going to be some variation depending on growing environment, and this site is American-based, but even so it seems a bit confusing. I often see mushrooms like those identified as castaneifolius, growing right next to semilanceatae, and have been unsure whether they were a separate species, or just mankier, wetter, more decayed semilanceatae.

Anyway, good hunting everybody.

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty caps in england... [Re: AndyJ]
    #2146639 - 11/30/03 12:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Here are the lib pictures I mentioned in an earlier posting.

Three older specimens, with three younger brothers.

A plate of around 200, air drying.

One of the rings I mentioned. If you sit back from the image, you'll notice a figure of 8 shape of lusher grass, which the libs are situated on.

--------------------

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

#2155498 - 12/03/03 02:11 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Here are a few more pictures from the same hunt:

This was a nice little group. One minute to get enough for one!

Here you can see some youngsters as well as a couple of older libs.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates