Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Choline, DXM, Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
Loc: here
is the universe human or alien? + misc fun
    #993118 - 10/25/02 06:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

One thing I keep running up against when talking about philosophy is the idea of a human universe. Many people seem to assume that reality runs according to human laws and the rules of the human logical system.

Take ethics, for example. I consider morality to be a psychological straightjacket. I do whatever I want, taking consequences into consideration. I don't give the change for every purchase I make back to the cashier because I want a few extra karma credits deposited to my account with Budda Banking. I do it because I want to. However, by default, the human mind thinks with ethics. Therefore, people view ethics as part of the universe's function.

I don't see karma (in a spiritual sense) as being feasible. All good/bad judgements are subjective to those making them. However, in a magickal way, good deeds do enhance the vibe of one's life.

I found out the Secret of Everything a while ago. "Everything's OK". Why is this so hard for me (and you) to accept?

Reality doesn't run on numbers. It runs on meta-language. Math is half meta-language anyways.

To understand the nature of things one must create a whole new window/perspective, seperate from everyday reality. This perspective has to be free and not kept in check at all, because the sober default human mind plays by human rules by definition. It killfiles anything which goes against human logical rules.

Is it possible to derive quantum physics via thought-experiments?

DMAE is a useful nootropic (cognitive enhancer) available at many American pharmacies. I take 400mg a day. A must-try if you have problems with mental fatigue. It's a precursor to choline. For perspective, Benadryl and sleep deprivation both decrease choline levels (I think). I've heard DMAE described as the inverse of sleep deprivation. I was told that taking a b-complex megadose pill (NOT eating 15 b-complex pills) every day with it helps too.

Science gets a bad rap. The kind of 'rationality' which is condemned around here is very unscientific. Science is all about questioning assumptions.

Do any of you ever find yourselves afraid to specialize in anything? I'm speaking of a general metaprogram (like 'tolerate difference').

Please reply to this stuff if you find it interesting. I post it because I want to talk about it. Try pasting the message into the post box like I do, even if you delete the quoted parts once you're done writing. It's so much easier to respond when the source material is right in front of you.

I'll reply to this post with more stuff later if I have time.

--------------------
Please remove all dollar signs from my listed contact information

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: is the universe human or alien? + misc fun [Re: xganon]
    #993614 - 10/25/02 10:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I find ya gotta play to the audience around here. This might be a not-a-topic.

But I find all things interesting nonetheless.

Proceed, if you will.

Cheers,

Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
    #993969 - 10/26/02 01:57 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Time sure flies when I'm that high. It was very difficult and time-consuming, but I now have a working offline UBB client set up for this board. PM me if you wish to attempt the same feat.

If Buddhism is what I think it is, doesn't it make the concepts of karma and reincarnation meaningless?

Awareness says 'cool' to everything. Pain and fear block out awareness and other upper-layer stuff, effectively rendering one unconscious when one's threshold is breached. That's why they feel like blacking out. Everything but the parts which act on instinct are blacked out. The unpleasantness associated with them is a mere delusion. One will still react to pain, with the higher mind still being blocked out, but the higher mind won't get as freaked out about it if it realizes this. Dextromethorphan dulls and eventually removes the blackout response, transforming pain into a sensation much like orgasm.

There is nothing to be afraid of anywhere. Those who fear are just being silly. Since we've established that suffering is all in our heads, that leaves us with nothing to fear.

Only when stoned do I 'drop' thoughts, with a few threads slipping through my fingers. I'm more conscious of the present and therefore deal with it better, though.

No TV does funny things to me. I've assumed people speaking of 'evil men in the DC area' were talking about the President, and proudly explained why I'm moving to Canada if there's a draft too, not knowing or caring what the majority thinks. Nobody stopped me, because I was sure of myself. This is a good thing.

DMAE (or something else I'm taking) makes amphetamines last 2+ hours longer than they're supposed to.

Emotional lability shows one how disgustingly transparent emotions are. Swinging from laughter to depression to meditative grace and back to laughter within a few minutes is very educational.

I asked my pot dealer if he knew what salvia was. He said yes.

Why can't those who make web boards include NNTP gateways?

Disgust and reversion are unconscious un-thinking responses. My hand still isn't going to pick up that wolf spider, though. However, I'm not telling my body to get up and kill him like my head is telling me to.

"God? Yes!"

"Note that shrooms alone had no interest in learning to co-exist with me,
and that it took a impenetrable shield of Light called DXM to bring me
through the osmotic membranes intact and see that everything is YES.

These two divine miracles just got done making love in my head if I sound
a little weird right now. =)"

Not much more to say.

--------------------

Anonymous

#994125 - 10/26/02 02:58 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am fascinated.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #998802 - 10/28/02 01:43 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I found out the Secret of Everything a while ago. "Everything's OK". Why is this so hard for me (and you) to accept?

Yeah? that was a hard one for me to realize, too.
Balancing one?s optimism and pessimism isn?t easy.

Do any of you ever find yourselves afraid to specialize in anything? I'm speaking of a general metaprogram (like 'tolerate difference').

This is a really tough issue for me. I?m interested in so much shit? it?s dizzying.
It?s funny how the university was created to give a student a ?well-rounded? education? yet now, if you don?t figure out what you want to do before you graduate high school, you?re in an uphill battle with the system. Why do we have to specialize? Why can?t we skip the bullshit-basket-weaving classes and hit the hard stuff first? And what the fuck are grades? They don?t mean shit? especially in the sciences. Undergrad science courses favor the walking hard-drives? it?s sad. I know brilliant kids that are getting C?s because they didn?t bother memorizing a bunch of formulas that could otherwise be easily found in reference books. Whatever?

If Buddhism is what I think it is, doesn't it make the concepts of karma and reincarnation meaningless?

Siddhartha would laugh at such concepts? there?s not a doubt in my mind.

There is nothing to be afraid of anywhere. Those who fear are just being silly. Since we've established that suffering is all in our heads, that leaves us with nothing to fear.

I still don?t know why people cling to fear?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
Re: is the universe human or alien? + misc fun [Re: Sclorch]
    #1013539 - 11/01/02 04:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry for the delayed response. Computer trouble.

> Yeah? that was a hard one for me to realize, too.
> Balancing one?s optimism and pessimism isn?t easy.

I'm content to have my emotions bouncing all over the place every day. Going from hopefully picking the scabs from my heart chakra to drowning in the blood gushing from my spirit to realizing "this pain is a illusion" and going straight to spiritual joy simultaneously with the self-destructive programming. Every morning. All trippers integrate the trip into everyday life only to a certain extent, right? I'll be doing it a bit more than most (helped by every-day pot use, nootropics, etc).

>> Do any of you ever find yourselves afraid to specialize in anything? I'm
>> speaking of a general metaprogram (like 'tolerate difference').

> This is a really tough issue for me. I?m interested in so much shit? it?s
> dizzying.

This same meta-program is responsible for my ADD symptoms. I can't spend too much time on one thing because there are so many things. I used to always mess with salad (or ice cream, or any other mixture) so every bite would have a bit of every ingredient.

> It?s funny how the university was created to give a student a ?well-
> rounded? education? yet now, if you don?t figure out what you want to do
> before you graduate high school, you?re in an uphill battle with the system.
> Why do we have to specialize? Why can?t we skip the bullshit-basket-weaving
> classes and hit the hard stuff first?

The entire concept of forcing someone to sit through all the unrelated bullshit involved in getting a degree (and high school, and elementary school) to get what amounts to a certification which lets one have a certain occupation is bullshit.

> And what the fuck are grades? They
> don?t mean shit? especially in the sciences. Undergrad science courses favor
> the walking hard-drives? it?s sad. I know brilliant kids that are getting C?s
> because they didn?t bother memorizing a bunch of formulas that could
> otherwise be easily found in reference books. Whatever?

>> If Buddhism is what I think it is, doesn't it make the concepts of karma and >> reincarnation meaningless?
> Siddhartha would laugh at such concepts? there?s not a doubt in my mind.

A half-related thought: Bible translations. Done by Christians or non-Christians?

> I still don?t know why people cling to fear?

Because if you don't be afraid, it'll get you!

The way to beat it is to call the bluff. I can't call all the bluffs, though. Otherwise I would have done 90mph into another car this morning. "But you said not to fear anything, and there's still nothing to be afraid of". I feel stupid for not doing it now. My evil twin is too good at messing with me sometimes.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1013943 - 11/01/02 07:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A half-related thought: Bible translations. Done by Christians or non-Christians?
Kierkegaard would say non-Christians.
I don't know what "Christian" means anymore... I can say that there was one Christian for sure (assuming he was non-fictional)... and his life and death seemed like a twist on the ol' Socrates/hemlock story.

Sclorch: I still don?t know why people cling to fear?
Otherwise I would have done 90mph into another car this morning. "But you said not to fear anything, and there's still nothing to be afraid of".

I think there is a difference between having fear and being cautious.
Not wanting to die is not equivalent with being afraid to die.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
Re: is the universe human or alien? + misc fun [Re: Sclorch]
    #1025027 - 11/05/02 06:44 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

> I don't know what "Christian" means anymore... I can say that there was one > Christian for sure (assuming he was non-fictional)... and his life and death > seemed like a twist on the ol' Socrates/hemlock story.

OK, make it "Done by Bible-believers or non-Bible-believers?".

> I think there is a difference between having fear and being cautious.
> Not wanting to die is not equivalent with being afraid to die.

I understand it now. It's against the nature of this incarnation to do stuff like that. Too many safeguards against it. It'll happen anyways, so why bother breaking them?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Choline, DXM, Salvia

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology