Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Materialistic Society And Their Toys
    #9663162 -

Fairly often enough, I notice a generalization regarding Western civilization, wherein the perspective expressing such a sentiment is hung-up regarding how they perceive a lot of society being based around some people acquiring new, expensive objects, and how this society somehow judges these people, or any people, by this standard of the quality and quantity of the objects they own. This is something that frequently occurs, right? A lot of you have seen this, right?

Now, I don't find much of any use for generalizations, but I thought for the purposes of this thread that I would counter this above generalization with one of my own. First, to help paint a picture, I'm going to use a quote from the Bible:

Quote:
17 You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.



I have the feeling that the vast majority of people who harp on about society and how it values those with shiny, expensive objects are so concerned about this and feel so conflicted about this themselves, not because the "problem" is something so inherent and troublesome within society itself (evidenced by the people who simply aren't concerned about this, live their own life as they wish, and don't pay the possible phenomenon any mind), but because they themselves feel an emotional sting of jealousy and resentment for not having these things themselves, or the status and prestige that is supposedly associated with ownership of these things. Perhaps they hold such grievance against society because they feel guilty that they desire this as well? Maybe they just covet too much?

What do you think?


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9663204 -

I think your ideas would be much easier to follow and respond to with more concise sentences. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but 106 letter sentences are tough to swallow. :tongue:

As far as the materialism thing goes, I'm not sure. I try not to lend much thought to things that will upset me, and I usually don't mind other people's complaints. (They're easy to scroll past.)

Do you believe this "vast majority's" guilt to be subconscious?

Where's Freud when you need him?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: Cameron]
    #9663220 -

Cameron said:
I think your ideas would be much easier to follow and respond to with more concise sentences. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but 106 letter sentences are tough to swallow. :tongue:



I don't mean to sound like a jerk either, but I don't think in a lazy, simple manner, and, quite honestly, anyone who has achieved a six-grade reading level should have no technical limitations in understanding what I've said well. Maybe, through the course of internet discussion, some just get accustomed to short sentences? Take, for example, my first sentence in this reply. Sure, I could have said: "I don't want to sound like a jerk. I don't think lazy. Anyone who has a six-grade reading level should read what I said with no problem." To me, it reads more clumsily and still doesn't convey the intended meaning. Being concise is always a priority for me; however, sometimes you need a certain amount of words to make your point.

Quote:
Do you believe this "vast majority's" guilt to be subconscious? 



I'd only consider the actuality on a case-by-case basis, but I would indeed think it is possible that it could be much more within the realm of the subconscious. Of course, this doesn't change anything regarding one's personal responsibility for the experience. :grin:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9663247 -

Covetous behavior is definitely what Western civilization (most civilization actually) is built on, the whole idea of expanding as a means of pride, and jealousy, however subconscious they may be.

But, what would you say to those who live for little in the world sans a paycheck? Those that hate their job, but use it only as a means to buy that nice car. Your contribution to society is meaningless because you lack heart? I might be making to mutually exclusive sides to this argument, but frankly, we would lack many 'things' including corporations and jobs, if it weren't for this coveting (implying that corporations are based on greed which lies in coveting). Many people just need that sort of satisfaction out of life, because they lack it elsewhere.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: zoid]
    #9663312 -

zoid said:
Covetous behavior is definitely what Western civilization (most civilization actually) is built on, the whole idea of expanding as a means of pride, and jealousy, however subconscious they may be.



I wouldn't necessarily think that civilization itself is based upon this, but simply that specialization of tasks occurs because it allows people to live more preferential lives with less effort. This isn't based in pride or jealousy, but simply the law of the path of least resistance I should think, but I can definitely see that some might have an idea of a more preferential life that includes seeking objects or states in order to satisfy their perceived need of having pride and alleviating feelings of jealousy.

Quote:
But, what would you say to those who live for little in the world sans a paycheck? Those that hate their job, but use it only as a means to buy that nice car.



I'd ask them why they choose to inflict suffering upon themselves by telling themselves that they hate their job, first and foremost. If they have made the decision to be employed in order to obtain some end, whatever the reason, then why would they choose to make it worse for themselves by filling themselves up with negative experiences while they work and regarding their work?

Quote:
I might be making to mutually exclusive sides to this argument, but frankly, we would lack many 'things' including corporations and jobs, if it weren't for this coveting (implying that corporations are based on greed which lies in coveting).



A kid can smash a window and create a whole web of consequent effects, creating job opportunities for the repairman, the manufacturer of his tools and the replacing window, which in turn creates job opportunities for those who extract raw materials, those who transport all of these goods, the broker who helps others invest in all of these agents, etc. etc. etc... but it doesn't mean that it was necessary or necessarily beneficial in the long-term for the kid to break the window. :grin:

Quote:
Many people just need that sort of satisfaction out of life, because they lack it elsewhere.



If their internal states of emotion and thinking are not in balance, and they subsequently change the external environment in some attempt to alleviate that which stems from within, won't this subsequently throw the environment into a balance that is in relation to these suffering, internal states, creating the potentiality of the environment inflicting needless suffering upon themselves and others?


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9663692 -

Quote:
Perhaps they hold such grievance against society because they feel guilty that they desire this as well? Maybe they just covet too much?

What do you think?



I think it's part envy, and part across-the-board disdain for themselves and everyone else.


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9663783 -

There are many people out there who feel that owning something makes it apart of them, or atleast their ego, and are driven to buy more and better things because of this. This is a life I see all over the place; people clinging to the empty satisfaction of consumerism. I agree with the OP, and feel this is another contributor.

Good read, Fireworks. :thumbup:


--------------------
Let's get the fuck out of here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9664123 -

What do I think?

I think that people are, everyone to some degree, and some to a high degree, filled with an inner longing that burns a hole in them until the right plug fits.  I see it as a hole in the heart.  Maslow describes this in his hierarchy of needs.



Some will try to fill all the portions of the hole with material goods culminating in a failed attempt.  Failed because as studies show, satisfaction can be derived from a certain level of monetary success, but higher levels of financial status do not result in higher levels of satisfaction or happiness, e.g. you can only eat so much food, drive so many cars or sleep so many hours.  Once your basic needs are met, the others are left unfulfilled which, in turn, in some, even many, results in this never-ending cycle of acquisition.  Others, ones I perceive as evil, do not want any particular level for the sake of the goods.  They want more, more as in "more than you."  Most of them are very unhappy souls in my experience.

I think there is a lot of truth in your statement:
Quote:
because they themselves feel an emotional sting of jealousy and resentment for not having these things themselves



I do disagree with this statement of yours:

Quote:
I don't mean to sound like a jerk either, but I don't think in a lazy, simple manner, and, quite honestly, anyone who has achieved a six-grade reading level should have no technical limitations in understanding what I've said well.



That is entirely incorrect.  As someone who likes to read and write I often analyze sentences I enjoy.  Your first sentence has a Flesch-Kincaid Grade level of 29.4.  In other words, you would have to have a doctorate plus in order to read it with ease and understand it.  I knew this before your sentences became a sidebar of the thread because I copied it and checked it.  After I read the comments about your sentences, I checked the longer one.  It came out as 45.4 grade level.  Obviously, someone in the 6th grade--even given the fact that your statement might have been hyperbole--could not understand it though they might have been able to read it.  This paragraph of mine is 7.8.

What I particularly like about the sentences was their complex syntax without large or abstruse words.  It was their length and syntax that contributed to their grade level.

Nice thread, nice posts.  I like it/them.

:cheers:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9664305 -

Mr. Mushrooms said:
What do I think?

I think that people are, everyone to some degree, and some to a high degree, filled with an inner longing that burns a hole in them until the right plug fits.  I see it as a hole in the heart.  Maslow describes this in his hierarchy of needs.



I like that pyramid, with self-actualization as the all-encompassing tip. Do you feel that the reason, perhaps, a lot of people might get "stuck along the way", in trying to fulfill that desire in the aforementioned ways, is because there simply haven't been enough people to have actually achieved this, to produce enough momentum to kind of clear the path for others?

Quote:
That is entirely incorrect.  As someone who likes to read and write I often analyze sentences I enjoy.  Your first sentence has a Flesch-Kincaid Grade level of 29.4.  In other words, you would have to have a doctorate plus in order to read it with ease and understand it.  I knew this before your sentences became a sidebar of the thread because I copied it and checked it.  After I read the comments about your sentences, I checked the longer one.  It came out as 45.4 grade level.  Obviously, someone in the 6th grade--even given the fact that your statement might have been hyperbole--could not understand it though they might have been able to read it.  This paragraph of mine is 7.8.



Well, I don't know how much of it was hyperbole, and how much of it was my expectations of six-graders. :lol: Seriously though, this is very interesting to me, and I'm glad you took the time to post that. Sometimes you just don't get certain perspectives regarding something that is so ingrained. :smile:

Quote:
What I particularly like about the sentences was their complex syntax without large or abstruse words.  It was their length and syntax that contributed to their grade level.



Well, that is probably efforts I've made to be more concise manifesting. I don't really see myself dropping my syntax though, because its simply a reflection of the order I see and think through. :grin:

Quote:
Nice thread, nice posts.  I like it/them.

:cheers:



Thanks; likewise! :jah:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9664731 -

Mr. Mushrooms said:
Some will try to fill all the portions of the hole with material goods culminating in a failed attempt.  Failed because as studies show, satisfaction can be derived from a certain level of monetary success, but higher levels of financial status do not result in higher levels of satisfaction or happiness, e.g. you can only eat so much food, drive so many cars or sleep so many hours.  Once your basic needs are met, the others are left unfulfilled which, in turn, in some, even many, results in this never-ending cycle of acquisition.  Others, ones I perceive as evil, do not want any particular level for the sake of the goods.  They want more, more as in "more than you."  Most of them are very unhappy souls in my experience.



Not really true. The higher you are on the hierarchy, the lower your level of stress hormone. You find that in all the ape societies pretty much. If you're at the bottom, way higher stress hormones and a lot higher rates of health problems. Humans are no different and you can verify this through studies of hierarchical organizations.

There is a good study on the brittish civil service where all the employees have basically the same health coverage, and yet you find much healthier individuals the higher you go up in the rankings with less stress hormones. That was a study of about 7000 people. You see basically the exact same thing in all ape societies.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9664807 -

I remember Thom Hartman once about how society is built on a truth and a lie.

The truth, he said, is that if you're naked, hungry, and cold, you're going to be pretty miserable, and if you acquire some food, shelter, and clothing, you're going to be a lot happier.

The lie is that if having these things make you happy, then continuously getting more and more stuff will make you even happier.


Now, I personally feel that each of us has a certain optimum level of opulence that would make us happiest.  One also has to factor in the work required to make such wealth.  I'd rather make $70,000 a year in residual income than work 60 hours a week for $1,000,000.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys *DELETED* [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9665155 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: Cameron]
    #9665225 -

Cameron said:
I think your ideas would be much easier to follow and respond to with more concise sentences. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but 106 letter sentences are tough to swallow. :tongue:



Right, I read the first couple sentences and thought, man, I'm just going to I will just refer him to Orwell's rules of writing:

http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/george-orwells-5-rules-for-effective-writing/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9665296 -

At times it's chic to hide your wealth.  We are now in a "MTV CRIBS" IN YOUR FACE cycle, and it's chic to show off.  Having a "bunch of stuff" only represents an entry level acceptance, into the "Hannah Montana" world of owning everything.  We love our cars, and hate our neighbors.  The masses are being obsessive and fanatic, and we have passed the no return line. There is no one or nothing that we can blame, but ourselves.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9665356 -

Well getting back on topic, I don't think it is the toys that people are after, it's a position in a society. A person in a higher position is rewarded with less stress, which generally means you will be healthier, live longer and more likely to reproduce. The reason people bitch about what other people have might be because they are in a lower position (at least mentally) and our natural psychology is to be more content with higher ranking position, since in any group of humans there will be a pecking order. I think it is pretty unnatural to see your neighbor +1 everything you do and still be completely content with that. If you are content with that it is because you have associated in your mind that what he has doesn't make him better than you, which in my opinion is just a way of mentally jumping the hierarchy putting yourself in a higher position.

Either way you are still doing fundamentally the same thing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: C.M. Mann]
    #9665400 -

C.M. Mann said:
At times it's chic to hide your wealth.  We are now in a "MTV CRIBS" IN YOUR FACE cycle, and it's chic to show off.



The really wealth don't tend to live like that.  That's mostly movie stars, rock stars, and professional athletes who suddenly find themselves with large amounts of money.  I think if you went to the house of Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, you'd find their houses nice and comfortable, but nowhere near as lavish and gaudy as the people you see on MTV Cribs.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: Silversoul]
    #9665549 -

Have you never seen the castles that microsoft built. You have to be kidding ,right?  This phenomenon extends into every corner of society. Maybe you are just being optimistic, and I don't think there is any reason to be.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9665586 -

fireworks_god said:
Fairly often enough, I notice a generalization regarding Western civilization, wherein the perspective expressing such a sentiment is hung-up regarding how they perceive a lot of society being based around some people acquiring new, expensive objects, and how this society somehow judges these people, or any people, by this standard of the quality and quantity of the objects they own. This is something that frequently occurs, right? A lot of you have seen this, right?

Now, I don't find much of any use for generalizations, but I thought for the purposes of this thread that I would counter this above generalization with one of my own. First, to help paint a picture, I'm going to use a quote from the Bible:

Quote:
17 You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.



I have the feeling that the vast majority of people who harp on about society and how it values those with shiny, expensive objects are so concerned about this and feel so conflicted about this themselves, not because the "problem" is something so inherent and troublesome within society itself (evidenced by the people who simply aren't concerned about this, live their own life as they wish, and don't pay the possible phenomenon any mind), but because they themselves feel an emotional sting of jealousy and resentment for not having these things themselves, or the status and prestige that is supposedly associated with ownership of these things. Perhaps they hold such grievance against society because they feel guilty that they desire this as well? Maybe they just covet too much?

What do you think?



I (highly) agree, fireworks god, I think people get so much 'stuff' not because they like the stuff but because they dont like lacking the stuff.

Further, I think that people get involved in 'society' and get jobs and earn moola not so much because they enjoy it and it is what is best for them but because they are so adversed to the notions of non-society that are given to them, so afraid of having no money and perhaps having to do what their ancestors did all the time - use their hands to buy their survival directly

unless they are the progeny of submissors and social sheep

of which many humans are

and buy their survival by donating some of their potential happiness and fulfilment (and avoiding risky effort of course)


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: Epigallo]
    #9665690 -

adjust said:
A person in a higher position is rewarded with less stress, which generally means you will be healthier



Are you proposing this as a rule, or more as a tendency? As someone who considers oneself to be pretty aware of psychology, or, at the very least, my own psychology, I see stress as resulting from internal states, and not the external circumstances we are responding to with these internal states. 

bradley said:
Right, I read the first couple sentences and thought, man, I'm just going to I will just refer him to Orwell's rules of writing:

http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/george-orwells-5-rules-for-effective-writing/



I skimmed these rules and pretty much shrugged them off. One of the best reasons why I did this is due to this following statement:

Quote:
Ineffective language weakens and distorts ideas.



This is exactly why I would not opt for deconstructing my syntax. The point to which one simplifies one's expression of one's ideas is subjectively determined by the nature of the ideas themselves and the specific form the thought processes have. As I'm not writing something that is targeted to the lowest common denominator, I do not feel it is necessary to sacrifice my intended point by stripping it of its meaning.
To do so would be to use ineffective language, and that wouldn't make George Orwell very happy. :tongue:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Materialistic Society And Their Toys [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9665790 -

id like to add that the only universally accepted persuasion is money and if people are trying to validate themselves, the best thing they can do is persuade humans around them (on their own terms), which money buys.
people who earn lots of money hang out with other similar people and they in part live off the admiration that they have for eachother and what they think of what each person spends their money on.

i know fireworks god will not appreciate this because i have no way of backing this up other than through experience and inspection of people and the fact that it is consistent in part with other people's observations of people who value money and ownership


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* lsd=god appealing to a materialistic society
( 1 2 all )
LedHead 3,533 38 06/05/07 03:18 AM
by Cracka_X
* Alphabet used once, in sentences. Gomp 1,064 10 02/13/05 02:13 PM
by Gomp
* Ok so i don't understand you athiests/materialists... daytripper23 1,058 3 04/20/07 10:04 PM
by toastdth
* Society and Who We Are RebelSteve33 1,264 16 01/23/03 07:13 PM
by RebelSteve33
* Drug Use in Modern Society
( 1 2 all )
DigitalDuality 5,404 30 05/25/04 10:28 PM
by Redo
* Questions for materialists
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Pulsating 6,854 106 06/10/07 12:47 AM
by Pulsating
* Society/Culture
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Poid 4,062 70 04/18/08 12:01 AM
by Poid
* Youth and Regression in an Infantile Society NiamhNyx 1,012 2 01/29/04 12:35 AM
by DoctorJ

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
6,540 topic views. 0 members, 29 guests and 17 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 18 queries.