 (BTW this is yellow morel.) This jar was one that I used pavement sand/gravel. It grew some pea sized sclerotia in limited numbers and was doing a lot of vegetative growth. Then I noticed penicillium or trichoderma, it was a pastel greenish white mycelium growing on one of the sclerotia. I decided to try and reduce the spread of it by removing the mulch off the gravel, and only removed so much. Then a few days later it had a massive amount of new sclerotial development. I disturbed the soil and it reacted, along with the presence of a competitor. This makes me believe it is necessary to just pasteurize the nutrient poor layer or both layers. Just like the oysters and other mushrooms, the substrate gets pasteurized to 140°F or whatever so that beneficial microorganisms can prevent the bad contaminates from getting themselves established. From that PBS special it appears that is what they have done, pasteurized the soil and leached it, then cooked the grains, in addition to that they show they are using filters but in the patent it says nothing of it plus the patent calls for autoclaving and sterilization of the jars but not for the trays, for the trays they say steam pasteurize and such. I believe the filters are needed because the patent calls for drying of the substrate in order to kill off contaminates, but that was for trays yet it is stated that the same methods used for jars is used for trays and visa versa, the same conditions are parallel. Plus the PBS special mentions that they are maintained in summer like conditions for a month. I don't understand how they can say it is autoclaved when that results in a very weak production of sclerotia. Yet I have seen where bacteria inhibit growth of the morel mycelium and no good growth occurs and yet at other times it causes this aggressive development of sclerotia. Maybe this is where the patent has faults because its a 50/50 chance of getting the "right" bacteria or micro-organism present.
"The container is covered and autoclaved to kill possible contaminating organisms. The soil layer of the sterilized container is inoculated with ascospores, with vegetative hyphae or with small pieces of sclerotia, and the jar is again sealed. The container is maintained at a temperature of between about 10° C. and about 30° C. and preferably between about 18° C. and about 22° C. "
"Soon after inoculation, hyphae grow from the sclerotia and completely colonize the tray in about one week. As the mycelia develop, no further water is added, thereby allowing the substratum to dry, preferably to a substratum moisture content of below about 75%. Drying of the substratum prior to feeding is considered to be an important factor in inhibiting growth of bacteria and other fungi which would harm or compete with the developing morels. "
"It is desirable that as much sclerotia be produced within the substratum as is possible during this stage because there appears to be a direct relationship between the amount of sclerotia in the substratum and the total weight of ascocarps that develop per unit area of the substratum. Growth of sclerotia in substratum parallels growth of sclerotia in jars, and the same nutrient factors which enhance growth in the jars enhance growth in the substratum. Accordingly, the organic material may be supplemented with vitamins, minerals, additional protein and other substances. "
"Hyphae from the inoculum grow through the soil layer and colonize the grain. After about one week, a loosely compacted mass of hyphae appear in the soil layer. Microscopically viewed, the hyphal cells become highly branched, septate and swell to a barrel shape. This is then followed by the adhesion of adjacent cells to form a solid mass that is visible to the naked eye. It is the sclerotial hyphal cells which store the materials obtained from the colonized grain. The sclerotia at maturity are hard structures which can become quite large. Virtually all of the total soil layer can become enmeshed in sclerotia. "
"The substratum is steam-pasteurized or hot water-pasteurized or autoclaved. Pasteurized substratum is then typically mixed with water to produce a workable slurry."
If morel reacts this aggressively in producing sclerotia in this amount due to disturbance and the presence of a contaminate then that is the best way to get large sclerotia. In addition to the sclerotia developing above the gravel it also was forming further down into it away from the surface which is what I've been looking for all along. I think I'll also try the smaller container size which is a pint jar, although the PBS special shows what maybe a half-pint jar, but I don't think its the size of the jar but the depth of the substrate. Besides the patent says 500 ml and that is a pint.
I think there needs to be some sort of mechanism inside the jar to "disturb" the soil, a marble or something that can break up the mulch and prevent the fungus from fusing that layer. Plus this would stimulate it into producing more sclerotia. But this can not be done until the fungus has managed to reach the nutrient layer.
But this doesn't explain what happened with the pyrex bowl I have and the lump it formed. In the pyrex bowl agar prep. I supplemented it with a drop of neomycin,proxamine antibiotic cream. The morel grew and had no problem with it I even posted images of the rhizomorph like formations. And here once again in a mason jar the same situation occurs (in the pics down below), a mason jar that was supplemented with the same antibiotic. Now hopefully it will react quicker and produce large lumps at some point but it may have been motivated by a bacteria or competitive mold that was not seen, yet which I believe was there.

In the pyrex bowl

In the mason jar


And even in this mason jar it formed small sclerotia, btw this is a classic black morel spawn.

Inside, once populated with spiky tufts of small sclerotia is now a lot of vegetative growth

Here's something I found strange about the PBS special. If you watch Mills dump out the dirt from the jars you'll see the tiny screen that separates the nutrient poor layer from the nutrient rich layer.
I don't think its used to induce the fungus into the sclerotial stage but rather to make it easy to separate the dirt from the grain.
-------------------- If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony
Edited by AcidHorse (11/23/08 09:55 PM)
|