Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: morel cult thread [Re: metalhead] * 1
    #9484561 - 12/23/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

metalhead said: as soon as someone that works at his plant walks out and leaves the job the trade secret will be spilled and leak into the public.

I don't think that will happen I am sure they all have signed statements to not release that info and if they did it would be a major law suit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemetalhead
GIT-R-DONE!
Male

Loc: earth
Re: morel cult thread [Re: AcidHorse] * 1
    #9484572 - 12/23/08 05:36 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Spirochetea  bacteria found in root nodules of plants such as clover which naturally produce fertiliser for the plant they infect

theese sound like alikely canidate for somthing like we are pursuing!

--------------------

Offlinemetalhead
GIT-R-DONE!
Male

#9484628 - 12/23/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

:shocked:it sounds very likely that somthing like the root bacteria which makes fertilizer would be an aid in sclerotia formation to fruitability level!(fingers crosed)

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: morel cult thread [Re: greys] * 1
    #9484645 - 12/23/08 05:47 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

greysRDbest said:
Quote:

AcidHorse said:
He's also growing black morels too, not just these; based upon what someone said about the morels they bought from them.

And its too hard to tell between rufobrunnea and esculenta, they look very much alike. And there isn't enough information on the characteristics of rufobrunnea to tell if its a type of yellow morel or a black morel, and the odor test is the only way to be sure.
Black morels are virtually odorless. Yellow morels are faintly a sweet rusty smell, and half-free are sort of like this yet a little more stronger and pungent when aged. And the test has to be done on freshly picked morels.

M. tomentosa and M. elata ( or classic black morels, even on the east coast) are odorless when fresh.

im sorry, ive picked 1,000s of morels. M.esculenta and M. rufobrunnea dont look anything alike in nature to me.
a very young M. deliciosa sometimes exhibits morphology similar to rufobrunnea, especially with regards to overall cap shape and the length of the north/south running pits on the cap. An M.deliciosa is almost white at that stage of development - an M. rufobrunnea is brownish with a lighter color on the edges of the pits.

I dont need to smell a morel to tell what type it is.

and black morels definitely have an odor.

Black morels do not have an odor I've picked them here in Ohio and they were odorless and smelled nothing like the yellow ones which grew weeks later in the same woods under the same species of trees (beech) and same location.

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

Edited by AcidHorse (12/23/08 06:04 PM)

Offlinemetalhead
GIT-R-DONE!
Male

#9484660 - 12/23/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

what do you have to say on the root/fertilizer bacteria do you think it could be what lets sclerotia get to the right size?and what bacteria is it i'm talking about?

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9484676 - 12/23/08 05:53 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

greysRDbest where are you located at?

rufobrunnea is a west coast morel. And you say you have experience with them.

I ask this because we can not generalize what we think and are accustomed to calling by name
an organism which could not be the same species in another location.

But in my case I have support on these characteristics from other people who also smelled the specimens and will testify that there is no odor on these black morels, while the yellow ones have a faint rusty smell.

So technically I have witnesses and multiple testimonies.

Heya wait a minute!
Quote:

11-30-06 heya                                                                                                      08:29 greysRDbest 

Private Message: heya
11-30-06, 08:29   
~

heya

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not to be a pain in the butt but could you post your photos on the northern country morels website...and also, in the winter we have a set night for morel chat,and i moderate/organize it. alot of good ppl get together there and i was wondering if you could maybe give a 15 minute overview of your work so far and maybe answer a few questions. bear in mind these ppl are not into growing or neccesarily up to par on the science of mushrooms. but some of them have 30+ years experience hunting them and are bonafide morel maniacs and would love to hear about your progress in this area. not many ppl are aware but theres a movement with the hardcore hunters like myself to promote them being cultivated so we can get all the freakin idiots out of the woods. ive been hunting mushrooms in general for 25 yrs or so....but last 5 yrs during morel season ive seen a HUGE increase in mushroom hunting activity in the woods.
anyway ill shut....thank you so much for sharing this stuff.

--greys

I thought I had an East Coast supporter out to repreZent!

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

Edited by AcidHorse (12/23/08 06:29 PM)

Offlinemetalhead
GIT-R-DONE!
Male

#9484734 - 12/23/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

with blacks where i live i experience a nutty earthy smell my 2 cents

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9484769 - 12/23/08 06:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

metalhead said:
what do you have to say on the root/fertilizer bacteria do you think it could be what lets sclerotia get to the right size?and what bacteria is it i'm talking about?

???

Just try to get the soil and have it mixed with some mulch and keep it moist and warm, that should cause it it grow more bacteria.

The one(s) should be there.

Don't allow things to dry out.

When you are ready to use it, THEN pasteurize it.

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9484787 - 12/23/08 06:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

metalhead said:
with blacks where i live i experience a nutty earthy smell my 2 cents

Another thing about black morels is that they get a blackish grey like velvety discolorization on their white stems, have you noticed that too?

--------------------

Invisiblegreys
OTD Sergeant at Arms
Male User Gallery

Loc: nunya
    #9484879 - 12/23/08 06:29 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

AcidHorse said:

I ask this because we can not generalize what we think and are accustomed to calling by name

But in my case I have support on these characteristics from other people who also smelled the specimens and will testify that there is no odor on these black morels, while the yellow ones have a faint rusty smell.

weve talked before. you know im in the midwest.
for the record M rufobrunnea has been documented to fruit on beauty bark as far east as Michigan.
Todd Kobylars of Shelby Michigan found them fruiting in november of 2006.

Morchella Atretomentosa has been documented in the Sleeper lake burn of 2007.

Mushrooms travel alot now that we ship bark and trees all over the country.

--------------------
:greys:

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9484935 - 12/23/08 06:38 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

greysRDbest said:
Quote:

AcidHorse said:

weve talked before. you know im in the midwest.
for the record M rufobrunnea has been documented to fruit on beauty bark as far east as Michigan.
Todd Kobylars of Shelby Michigan found them fruiting in november of 2006.

Morchella Atretomentosa has been documented in the Sleeper lake burn of 2007.

Mushrooms travel alot now that we ship bark and trees all over the country.

Yep over on Mycotopia.net

Did you know Kuo has submitted a suggested name for the atrotomentosa? Its now "tomentosa" so as not to confuse with european specimens.

But my black morels didn't have a smell when compared with the yellow morels. Even though I'm a smoker and could have impaired smelling capabilities; my dad is however, an anti-smoker non-smoker and even he said there was no odor, in addition to other people's opinions.
Now that could have something to do with the environment and outdoor substrates. But then again that's not true because I found the blacks growing out from under the same leaf litter as the yellow morels under the same trees.

There is another possibility, and that would be morels that have aged. Blacks will decompose and mature and release spores in warmth
and at that moment they will have an odor.

But what I'm talking about is young fresh black morels only 2 inches in height, when compared with young yellow morels 2 inches in height.

With no breakdown or maturity or spore dispersal where an odor could possibly exist.

I found your claim about Shelby township
http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/showthread.php?t=1543
But those at first glance look like yellows not like rufobrunnea-pictures on Kuo's site

--------------------

Edited by AcidHorse (12/23/08 07:01 PM)

Invisiblegreys
OTD Sergeant at Arms
Male User Gallery

#9484975 - 12/23/08 06:48 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Northern Country Morels website is where we first bumped into one another.

Hippie3 banned me from Mycotopia years ago.

if you pick a bag of black morels...smell the bag afterward. it smells sweetly mushroomy.

I find blacks interspersed with yellows on occasion.

blacks are more saprobic but will host to trees...yellows are just the opposite and their habitats overlap one another.

One thing i have noted in blacks...they dont care for elm trees and are even less tolerant of clay composition soils than yellow/grey  morels are.

No morels like clay soils...but blacks refuse to grow in it.

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9485056 - 12/23/08 07:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by AcidHorse (12/23/08 07:29 PM)

Invisiblegreys
OTD Sergeant at Arms
Male User Gallery

#9485092 - 12/23/08 07:07 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

this M. atretomentosa was picked in the Sleeper lake Burn in Michigans Upper Penninsula last spring. I know the collector personally.

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9485188 - 12/23/08 07:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

As for the October Morel,

maybe, but then again like I've said many times about this site and people who take pictures..."10 FEET AWAY!"

no closeups just out in the out field kind of photography.

LIke Look aT mE a GnAt oN tHe NoZe oF a sQuIrReL iN a TrEe 50 miles away!

Juvenile photos.

I won't buy it until Volk comes out and confirms it.

Nice velvety tomentosa there BTW.

--------------------

Invisiblegreys
OTD Sergeant at Arms
Male User Gallery

#9485230 - 12/23/08 07:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

id believe volk before kuo any day.

--------------------

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
    #9485351 - 12/23/08 07:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Holy shit this thread is going craaaazy.

Why grow plants in the morel trays?  For root inhabiting bacteria?    Like the actinomycetes I was just discussing?

Hello!  Is this thing on?! :grin:

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: morel cult thread [Re: Paresthesia] * 1
    #9485367 - 12/23/08 07:53 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Morels sucking on the things sucking on the plant roots.

For some reason bacteria do some digestion on plant proteins and nutrients that make it possible for the morels to digest them.

So essentially morels may eat bacteria scat poo sheeeeeeeeeit.
Or the bacteria themselves.

--------------------

Edited by AcidHorse (12/23/08 07:54 PM)

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
    #9485401 - 12/23/08 07:59 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

AcidHorse said:
As for the October Morel,

maybe, but then again like I've said many times about this site and people who take pictures..."10 FEET AWAY!"

There are lots of reports of fall morel finds in central Texas.  Here is an article from back in 99.  They appear to be esculenta, and grow around junipers in limestone soils, often in clumps.  This may be the "Taxon 15" mentioned on Kuo's site.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: morel cult thread [Re: Paresthesia] * 1
    #9485414 - 12/23/08 08:00 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
Holy shit this thread is going craaaazy.

Why grow plants in the morel trays?  For root inhabiting bacteria?    Like the actinomycetes I was just discussing?

Hello!  Is this thing on?! :grin:

Yep, and you saw those plants in those trays right? So why are there plants in Mills' trays???

This is my 2 cents, the plants are not necessary for fruiting but rather for the formation of large sclerotia only.
Once large sclerotia are established the plants are meaningless.

This is one possibility.

But it could all be nothing.

But seriously how can there be plants in a pasteurized substrate or casing? Which it should be pasteurized.

--------------------

Edited by AcidHorse (12/23/08 08:19 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale