Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblerchtyp
Ethnoring Administrator
Male User Gallery

10 Morals Atheism Gives Me
    #9314224 - 11/25/08 10:36 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I realize that there are a lot of respectable religious people that don't apply to most of these, and there are many many more who all of these apply to.
Source

Quote:

1. I don’t have a religious justification to hate gay people, so I don’t hate gay people.
  2. I don’t have a religious justification to believe that women are inherently inferior to men, so I don’t believe women are inferior to men.
  3. I don’t have a religious justification to not see a doctor when I’m sick, so I see a doctor when I’m sick.
  4. I don’t have a religious justification to hate someone for having the “wrong” religion, so I don’t hate people because they follow a certain religion.
  5. I don’t have a religious justification to deprive my children of truthful, frank sex education and the knowledge of safe and effective birth control use; so when I have a teenage daughter, she will be less likely to have sex too young, get pregnant, or get an STD.
  6. I don’t have a religious justification to hate someone for being a member of the “wrong” race, so I am not a racist.
  7. I don’t have a religious justification to support certain wars due to a belief that it will fulfill some sort of ancient prophecy, so I oppose needless death and destruction.
  8. I don’t have a religious justification to strap a bomb to my chest and blow myself up in a crowded market, so I don’t strap a bomb to my chest and blow myself up in a crowded market.
  9. I don’t have a religious justification to not care about climate change because “God would never let it get that bad before the end comes.”
  10. I don’t believe that I have an eternal, joy-filled life waiting for me after I die, so I appreciate the value and sanctity of this one.

Let the Shepard inform the sheep :happyheart:, religious intolerance is not the way to get into whatever version of heaven you may believe in.

--------------------
Creator of The Ethnoring

Edited by rchtyp (11/25/08 10:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Loc: under the rainbow
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: rchtyp]
    #9314893 - 11/26/08 01:04 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

well, I mean every way of life has at least 10 morals or ways to follow, and these are all pretty blunt/straight to the point, as I guess atheism is.

I strongly believe what you last said though. Why can't people see we are all the same?

--------------------
the greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
    #9315341 - 11/26/08 05:10 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

atheism is just as bad as Christianity in my opinion

agnosticism ftw

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

OfflineBernackums
The universe will have its way.
Male User Gallery

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: aDoS]
    #9315602 - 11/26/08 08:03 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Agreed. Sure, some Atheists are harmless and just go about their business, but alot just need to shove in your face what they believe and how there is no god. And sure, some Theists are harmless and just go about their business, but alot just need to shove in your face what they believe and how there is a god. See the connections I'm drawing?:tongue:

--------------------
Let's get the fuck out of here.

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #9315608 - 11/26/08 08:06 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

aDoS said:

agnosticism ftw

Agnostics are just afraid to admit the truth they feel deep inside... pussies. :smile:

God = Santa Claus = Easter Bunny = Tooth Fairy = NOTHING.

:shrug:

BTW, I like the OP's list.

Invisiblemushroom people
I ♥ LSD
Male

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: Bernackums]
    #9315683 - 11/26/08 08:35 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Bernackums said:
Agreed. Sure, some Atheists are harmless and just go about their business, but alot just need to shove in your face what they believe and how there is no god. And sure, some Theists are harmless and just go about their business, but alot just need to shove in your face what they believe and how there is a god. See the connections I'm drawing?:tongue:

I agree. fanatics, atheist or religious, are very much the same.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #9315761 - 11/26/08 09:02 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

rchtyp said:
I realize that there are a lot of respectable religious people that don't apply to most of these, and there are many many more who all of these apply to.
Source

Quote:

1. I don’t have a religious justification to hate gay people, so I don’t hate gay people.
  2. I don’t have a religious justification to believe that women are inherently inferior to men, so I don’t believe women are inferior to men.
  3. I don’t have a religious justification to not see a doctor when I’m sick, so I see a doctor when I’m sick.
  4. I don’t have a religious justification to hate someone for having the “wrong” religion, so I don’t hate people because they follow a certain religion.
  5. I don’t have a religious justification to deprive my children of truthful, frank sex education and the knowledge of safe and effective birth control use; so when I have a teenage daughter, she will be less likely to have sex too young, get pregnant, or get an STD.
  6. I don’t have a religious justification to hate someone for being a member of the “wrong” race, so I am not a racist.
  7. I don’t have a religious justification to support certain wars due to a belief that it will fulfill some sort of ancient prophecy, so I oppose needless death and destruction.
  8. I don’t have a religious justification to strap a bomb to my chest and blow myself up in a crowded market, so I don’t strap a bomb to my chest and blow myself up in a crowded market.
  9. I don’t have a religious justification to not care about climate change because “God would never let it get that bad before the end comes.”
  10. I don’t believe that I have an eternal, joy-filled life waiting for me after I die, so I appreciate the value and sanctity of this one.

Let the Shepard inform the sheep :happyheart:, religious intolerance is not the way to get into whatever version of heaven you may believe in.

Well, there's always politics.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9315911 - 11/26/08 09:49 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

aDoS said:

agnosticism ftw

Are you likewise agnostic about the Easter Bunny?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#9316022 - 11/26/08 10:27 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Personally I think the kind of people who do this shit do it anyway without religious justification. Generally they find some justification, and if they can't they just do it anyway.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: Grapefruit]
    #9316079 - 11/26/08 10:44 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I accept justification based in reality... like, I killed that guy because he was going to rape my baby as opposed to I killed that guy because he worships an elephant.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #9316264 - 11/26/08 11:31 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It's not because you're an atheist though. There are a lot of atheists who make up false justifications for their more shameful behaviour.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Loc: Α & Ω Flag
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #9316271 - 11/26/08 11:32 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Are you likewise agnostic about the Easter Bunny?

:thumbup:

You can be agnostic about [insert any imaginary concept here].

A miniature size Cinderella, who wields shears and lives in the creases of my genitalia, could be the reason that my pubic hair always seems to stay the same length.

Could be. Probably not. The .0000001 probability doesn't mean I should claim agnosticism.

I liked the original post. Good points.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: Arden]
    #9316293 - 11/26/08 11:36 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

"Could be. Probably not. The .0000001 probability doesn't mean I should claim agnosticism. "

It does for me, I get nothing out of the faith-based belief that goes does or does not exist.  As an agnostic I can live free of my own trite opinions.  Of matters which one cannot speak, one must be silent.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: xFrockx]
    #9316304 - 11/26/08 11:38 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I like the agnostic stance. It covers all the bases. It's the opposite of the cop out that some claim.

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: Icelander]
    #9316355 - 11/26/08 11:44 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

how can you possibly calculate the 'probability' of god? it is impossible...

The 10 morals of atheism are total bunk... they act like religion is the only reason anyone would think those things...

--------------------

Offlinek4ge
Male User Gallery

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: Noteworthy]
    #9316441 - 11/26/08 12:01 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Ism, ism ism.

Why do we have to form all of our believes around ISMs.

It's a humans nature to have a hole inside them, a hole that wonders/yearns/searches/quests/ect for the answers.
Religion, or the lack there of gives people some sort of filler for that hole.  A few "answers" but mostly just rules.

My approach is, fuck rules.
Take whatever you like from everything into your Idea of what life really is.  Because thats all we can really do right?  Learn from our experience and put the pieces where they may fit inside our own spiritual map.

--------------------
All posts by this user are not to be taken seriously.
Seriously.

Edited by k4ge (11/26/08 12:06 PM)

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: Noteworthy]
    #9316460 - 11/26/08 12:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

It does for me, I get nothing out of the faith-based belief that goes does or does not exist.  As an agnostic I can live free of my own trite opinions.  Of matters which one cannot speak, one must be silent.

Quote:

how can you possibly calculate the 'probability' of god? it is impossible...

There is no argument. There is no opinion. There is no probability. There is no matter to speak of.

As an atheist (not an agnostic), I'm not claiming [G]od does or does not exist. I'm merely rejecting the claim about the God idea itself, including the irrational presumption about whether or not we have limited knowledge about the very idea we created.

One cannot straddle the fence on an idea that is fabricated to begin with. See Easter Bunny concept. Must we repeat this incessantly?

Reminder:
a = without
theos = gods

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: Arden]
    #9316471 - 11/26/08 12:07 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Why do we have to form all of our believes around ISMs.

I would say that most don't like to pigeon-hole themselves into tidy little genres. Some do it for the sake of easy classification, which is especially useful in considering that most of debating is a word game anyway.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: k4ge]
    #9316474 - 11/26/08 12:08 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Take whatever you like from everything into your Idea of what life really is.  Because thats all we can really do right?  Learn from our experience and put the pieces where they may fit inside our own spiritual map.

So true. Now I believe that people who don't have awareness or confidence in their own ability to choose a path need an ISM or teacher. Many are afraid to face the reality that there is or may be no final truth or salvation, and it all ends or may end at death.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: Icelander]
    #9316484 - 11/26/08 12:09 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
I like the agnostic stance. It covers all the bases. It's the opposite of the cop out that some claim.

I just don't think about religious and then I don't nee an "ism".  Assigning myself an atheist or agnostic tag would be attaching way to much importance to religion than I willing to give it.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale