Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: deCypher]
    #9328676 - 11/28/08 06:25 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This post is silly.

First treating "religion" as something that has a worldview is silly.

Second, I'm aware of no major religion that shares almost any of the views you ascribed to "religion"- certianly not christianity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleArden
לנשום

Loc: Α & Ω Flag
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: johnm214]
    #9333018 - 11/29/08 04:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Second, I'm aware of no major religion that shares almost any of the views you ascribed to "religion"- certianly not christianity.

You're right, but many of these viewpoints come about from religious perspectives which define things as a dichotomy between right and wrong. Any one one-dimensional interpretation of life, like the explanations afforded by religion, inherently set up other interpretations as wrong. Believing there is only one truth, and that you possess it, is a good formula for being judgmental and critical of other ways of living (atheists, gays, sinners, etc.) that are consequently a "deviation".

OfflineDude96
Stranger

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #9334974 - 11/29/08 11:51 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
Quote:

aDoS said:
atheism is just as bad as Christianity in my opinion

agnosticism ftw

Agnostics are just afraid to admit the truth they feel deep inside... pussies. :smile:

God = Santa Claus = Easter Bunny = Tooth Fairy = NOTHING.

:shrug:

BTW, I like the OP's list.

I would love to see if some loony would try and say that there is a connection between god and santa claus, as your dad is santa claus, dad = father, father = god. Also easter is the death of his son..

Got nothing on the tooth fairy though =(

--------------------
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that our eyes once watered."
-Tom Stoppard

"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
-Samuel Johnson

I will be a cancer upon you, ravaging all that you love and sundering your beliefs. Then, and only then, once you have fallen so far and are but a shell of that which you once were, I will grant you your every dream.
Only to crush them all before your eyes. You doubted my willpower, you abused my generosity, and now you will recognize my cruelty.
-Anonymous

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: Dude96]
    #9335574 - 11/30/08 02:38 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Arden said:
Quote:

You're right, but many of these viewpoints come about from religious perspectives which define things as a dichotomy between right and wrong. Any one one-dimensional interpretation of life, like the explanations afforded by religion, inherently set up other interpretations as wrong. Believing there is only one truth, and that you possess it, is a good formula for being judgmental and critical of other ways of living (atheists, gays, sinners, etc.) that are consequently a "deviation".

You do realize that this thread is no different than what you are describing? I mean, he says it himself, its his list of morals, that are clearly pivoting on judgement and criticism of a certain group. The OP is certainly still within the spectrum of morality, and is clearly no better.

Now, we both know that he doesn't speak for all atheists, so on the same token, the notion that all christians aren't the same should make sense to you.

Calling this thread out for what it is, as John did, does not necessarily imply a moralistic resentment, like the original poster for instance (AKA  Nietzsche's ressentiment).

Put it this way: You might say an atheist's existence is not necessarily limited to his "ISM" (or rather that this ism is social or linguistic baggage). An "atheist" is not necessarily someone who primarily denies God.

Perhaps in a social situation, he is asked of what he thinks of God, and he assumes his label, "atheist" by indicating that he does not believe in God. BUT, this does not mean that he lives his ordinary life this way, denying God as he makes his breakfast, denying god as he takes his shower...etc.

There is the philosophic possibility that he be completely unconcerned with the idea of God. God just does not cross his mind, just as the flying spaghetti monster does not.

Does this sound familiar?

In the same way, pointing out the absurdity of this thread does not necessarily capitulate a person into this moral spectrum. All that was said that this thread is silly, (just like flying spaggheti monsters).

Realistically speaking, the only discriminating, moralistic, or judgemental post in this thread was the original one, and this is all your post seems to apply to. The way I see it your post is a better demonstration of the pitfalls of "isms" than of any group in particular.

Edited by daytripper23 (11/30/08 03:14 AM)

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Loc: New England, USA
    #9336061 - 11/30/08 07:06 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
Quote:

aDoS said:
atheism is just as bad as Christianity in my opinion

agnosticism ftw

Agnostics are just afraid to admit the truth they feel deep inside... pussies. :smile:

God = Santa Claus = Easter Bunny = Tooth Fairy = NOTHING.

:shrug:

BTW, I like the OP's list.

Agnostics believe anything is possible and don't waste time arguing in favor of things they don't know for sure.

In my opinion. :wink:

Atheists seem like stubborn punks who like to rile the religious. :evil:

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: igwna]
    #9336182 - 11/30/08 08:21 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

skcorrelyt said:
Atheists seem like stubborn punks who like to rile the religious. :evil:

I also stubbornly refuse to believe in hobgoblins, pixies and unicorns. :shrug:

Furthermore, riling silly people who think magic winged creatures live in the clouds is just downright amusing.

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

#9336213 - 11/30/08 08:39 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

To each his own :tongue:

I like to rile my overly-zealous christian sister? :shrug:

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

Edited by igwna (11/30/08 08:39 AM)

Offlinefreakwhite
Stranger

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: igwna]
    #10317902 - 05/10/09 04:53 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Everyone should make it habit to not speak of religion and politics in good company.

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: xFrockx]
    #10317973 - 05/10/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I think its funny people make comparisons of what might be referenced by the word god and go, well would you believe/be agnostic about a flying spaghetti monster or santa or the easter bunny

I do not see the connection, maybe people define the word god totally in totally different ways. But overall I think that debate route is pretty ridiculous and fruitless...

I would rather label myself not an atheist or a theist, perhaps a skeptical agnostic. But one that doesnt't like to get hung up on this word god.

I like to think when we get to these lofty abstractions surrounding what the word god might incite in many people its pretty funny shit. What did this word god ever really reference? The alpha male of a group? That got extended into the idea of a cosmic alpha male ordaining purposes and bounty to the peoples under the stars? Can't we pass that sort of notion by and not be all hostile to everything associated in this realm?

GOD!!! Yeah a ole grey bearded dude in the clouds... yeah that one seems incredibly unplausible. Labels overall are pretty ghey. I am just a human. I find it good taste to say yeah this ultimate temptation of knowledge is unknowable both ways. But yes the common notion of god I would say is pretty silly and false.

But god as nature, god as the actuality of life we see all around us, seems like a better label. God = nature (substance, mind, etc). Can't you feel a bit amazed by the reality of everything? How random was all this? It isn't like there is some helms man god but damn there is an obvious sweet spot in being and extended incarnate life just happens, isnt that pretty amazing? But this shit is so absurd to even talk about. If you find that sentimental mysterious emotion rise up and you get off to it somehow go for it. The "mystical" or stoic/zen/etc feeling is pretty interesting. As the highest life form on earth I think our brain has some crazy abilities to really feel out our reality . How special is this, I dunno...

But yeah, this whole debate really is just semantical bullshit for me... I think people get all hot n bothered over categories here as if there is something at stake

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Edited by andrewss (05/10/09 05:14 PM)

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: freakwhite]
    #10317984 - 05/10/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

freakwhite said:
Everyone should make it habit to not speak of religion and politics in good company.

Why is that?

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Offlinefreakwhite
Stranger

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #10318027 - 05/10/09 05:22 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I guess if you enjoy starting arguements than go for it. I find that friendships last longer without speaking about these things. Not to mention that no matter your stance, people find it annoying to listen to. I know I do.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#10318071 - 05/10/09 05:35 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I find that friendships last longer without speaking about these things.

But what kind of friendship is one where you have to avoid discussions and get butt-hurt that maybe your friends even think completely different than you on certain aspects?
I think that only immature and superficial relations revolve around all this diplomacy crap, and personally I feel that it's a loss of time to be around people just for the sake of being around people or because of fearing loneliness. :shrug:

Quote:

Not to mention that no matter your stance, people find it annoying to listen to. I know I do.

Maybe you do, but this surely doesn't speak for the rest of humanity. :hehehe:

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
    #10318089 - 05/10/09 05:39 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomTrip said:
Quote:

freakwhite said:

Why is that?

Because if you question the status quo you anger up the blood

--------------------

Offlinefreakwhite
Stranger

Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: learningtofly]
    #10318149 - 05/10/09 05:51 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

But what kind of friendship is one where you have to avoid discussions and get butt-hurt that maybe your friends even think completely different than you on certain aspects?
I think that only immature and superficial relations revolve around all this diplomacy crap, and personally I feel that it's a loss of time to be around people just for the sake of being around people or because of fearing loneliness. :shrug:

Quote:

Not to mention that no matter your stance, people find it annoying to listen to. I know I do.

Maybe you do, but this surely doesn't speak for the rest of humanity. :hehehe:

I never said I speak for the rest of humanity. I said we should. Not we will. It's just my opinion.

I am a devout athiest. I have friends that are Christians and Catholics. We do not speak out on our beliefs . . . BUT some people have a habit of pushing their belief system down the throats of others. This especially happens when children are growing up which continues the cycle of misinformed people running around the earth shaking snakes at me and speaking in tongues.

I was just simply giving advice to keep people off your back. Religious persecution is everywhere else. Why bring it here.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#10318177 - 05/10/09 05:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Discussing about positive and negative effects of anything is not persecution, even if someone states that a certain something is crap. I think it would be far more advantageous and likable for people to grow the fuck up and stop putting so much emotional content onto having their beliefs bashed, since making abstraction of differences leads to a skewed perception and understanding of reality.
Why adopt such a sober and funeral-like attitude, when we could just be relaxed and more focused on feeling good?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

#10320472 - 05/11/09 01:35 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

yea, i love when people bring me new ideas/theories/philosophies to think over..

i don't have to believe them to enjoy them. its almost like reading a short book or something, just really small tastes of their beliefs. i i find it to be quite interesting.

--------------------

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland Flag
Re: 10 Morals Atheism Gives Me [Re: rchtyp]
    #10325659 - 05/12/09 03:36 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

rchtyp said:
I realize that there are a lot of respectable religious people that don't apply to most of these, and there are many many more who all of these apply to.
Source

Quote:

1. I don�t have a religious justification to hate gay people, so I don�t hate gay people.
  2. I don�t have a religious justification to believe that women are inherently inferior to men, so I don�t believe women are inferior to men.
  3. I don�t have a religious justification to not see a doctor when I�m sick, so I see a doctor when I�m sick.
  4. I don�t have a religious justification to hate someone for having the �wrong� religion, so I don�t hate people because they follow a certain religion.
  5. I don�t have a religious justification to deprive my children of truthful, frank sex education and the knowledge of safe and effective birth control use; so when I have a teenage daughter, she will be less likely to have sex too young, get pregnant, or get an STD.
  6. I don�t have a religious justification to hate someone for being a member of the �wrong� race, so I am not a racist.
  7. I don�t have a religious justification to support certain wars due to a belief that it will fulfill some sort of ancient prophecy, so I oppose needless death and destruction.
  8. I don�t have a religious justification to strap a bomb to my chest and blow myself up in a crowded market, so I don�t strap a bomb to my chest and blow myself up in a crowded market.
  9. I don�t have a religious justification to not care about climate change because �God would never let it get that bad before the end comes.�
  10. I don�t believe that I have an eternal, joy-filled life waiting for me after I die, so I appreciate the value and sanctity of this one.

Let the Shepard inform the sheep :happyheart:, religious intolerance is not the way to get into whatever version of heaven you may believe in.

Just wanted to say, hell yes, thanks for the post.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies