Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
Psilocybin, the medicinal mushroom
    #861833 - 09/03/02 03:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The treatment of alcoholism:
Psychedelic substances have been used to combat alcoholism in Indians since 1907 (Pollard 1965) and in four Canadian studies, 72 percent of alcoholics treated with psilocybin remained abstinent or educed alcoholic consumption for at least one year after a single drug session. Patients attributed changes to "increased self awareness, self acceptance, religious feeling, and the reorientation of values". A similar study performed in multiple hospitals in British Columbia and Maryland showed promising results also. With 200- 1500 mg doses of LSD, a psychedelic drug shown to have cross tolerance with psilocybin, 25 percent of alcoholic patients were totally abstinent after therapy. Compare this to a 15 to 20 percent abstinence rate achieved through model programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous
(Masters and Houston 1966).

Decreasing the symptoms of chronic obsessive-compulsive behavior:
A 34 year old man who had been incapacitated by obsessive-compulsive disorder since the age of six began to use psilocybin at the age of 20. He noticed that ingesting 2 grams of psilocybin twice a week reduced contamination fears and washing/ counting rituals for four to five days after use. When he ingested psilocybin daily for four years and then stopped use, he experienced no obsessive-compulsive symptoms for two years after cessation. Slowly the symptoms returned. Through this case study we also learned that although alcohol and marijuana could relieve the man's anxiety, they would not relieve the other symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. In contrast, cocaine and other stimulants aggravated his condition (Murray and Newman 1997).

Body dysmorphic disorder (Borowiak et al. 1998)

Psychiatric treatment of schizophrenics and other victims of mental disorders (Pollard 1965).
Psychiatrists have reported that the use of psilocybin with therapy has hastened treatment because it allows underlying psychosis and neurosis to become exaggerated and thus more easily identified (Pollard 1965). 

Treating criminals
Timothy Leary, a well known researcher at Harvard University also performed a study showing effective psilocybin treatment of criminals. He treated 33 individuals with psilocybin who were due for parole. This group exhibited only 25 percent recidivism (the legal term for return into the custody of the law), and only for minor offenses. This rate is far below the generally accepted eight month recidivism rate of fifty to seventy percent (Masters and Houston 1966).

Studies have also shown that psychedelic mushrooms have the greatest margin of safety and lowest dependence potential of any of the major drug classes. A study performed by Roberst S. Gable on the acute toxicity and dependence potential of twenty different psychoactive substances showed that psychedelics were least likely to cause physical or psychological dependence, had minimal or nonexistent withdrawal symptoms, and could be taken in relatively large quantities without fatal overdose. And among psychedelics, psilocybin mushrooms were the most benign, with a margin of safety several hundred times greater than that of heroin (Gable 1993). In other tests performed on mice, doses up to 200 mg of pure psilocybin per kilogram of body weight have been administered without lethal overdose. This amount is equivalent to thirteen grams of pure psilocybin being administered intravenously into an average human being of 140 pounds. If taken in the form of fresh mushrooms, an individual would have to consume an amount equivalent to their body weight to receive a lethal dose (WWW 1). Studies have also been performed that have shown that psilocybin can be safely used under medical supervision. In addition, before the controversial placement of psilocybin in schedule I, there were many studies that showed promising research in the use of hallucinogens to elucidate brain consciousness issues (Strassman 1991). The placement of psilocybin into schedule one has made it extremely difficult for researchers to obtain permission to study the effect of psychedelics on the human brain and obtain knowledge that could help in the treatment of mental disorders. Since 1962, the drugs have been available to only a few individuals or groups of researchers working under federal and state grants. In 1965, only thirteen researchers or research groups were given permission to continue study in this area (Masters and Houston 1966).
hese marked declines in psychedelic drug research come at a time when psychedelic drug use is increasing. Although psilocybin is not reported on federally sponsored drug use surveys there are popular indicators that suggest that the prevalence of psilocybin use is increasing. These markers include the proliferation of popular books and websites on the identification, cultivation, and use of psychedelic mushrooms, increasing medical reports of incidence, and street drug analysis services (Koerner and Appel 1982). Abuse problems have arisen primarily in the United States and in some European countries. Reports show that in Europe, psilocybin abuse is concentrated the Scandinavian countries such as Denmark, in which psilocybin experimentation and use was found among roughly 3 percent of all university and high school students (Borowiak et al 1998)

In conclusion, the classification of psilocybin as a schedule I controlled substance has erected considerable barriers to the scientific research of the drug and its potential applications to serotonin receptor studies. Psilocybin has been shown to be a safe and effective means to treat certain mental illnesses and to research the expanses of the mind. Moreover, maintaining ignorance of the possible negative effects of psilocybin on the human body can only be detrimental to our society as the illicit use of psychedelics continues to grow.

Please add any relevant info, as you see fit :smile:

Good luck

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
Re: Psilocybin, the medicinal mushroom [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #861882 - 09/03/02 03:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Loc: Washington
    #861902 - 09/03/02 04:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thats awesome. Great Post

#861907 - 09/03/02 04:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

cool post !!!!! :smile: 

Man of Poop
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Psilocybin, the medicinal mushroom [Re: dilatedcreature]
    #862267 - 09/03/02 07:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Now i know why i was cured of my dysmorphic chronic obsessive-compulsive alcoholism and i didnt go back to prison after i took shrooms.  :grin:  :laugh:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience