Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
canada is safer than the united states, right
    #7747129 - 12/11/07 09:14 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

NEW WESTMINSTER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Canadian serial killer Robert "Willie" Pickton was sentenced to life in prison with no hope of parole for 25 years on Tuesday after a gut-wrenching court hearing in which victims's families described their emotional devastation.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Mr. Pickton there is really nothing that I can say to adequately express the revulsion the community feels about these killings," Justice James Williams said as he handed down the harshest sentence possible for the second degree murder.

Relatives of the victims erupted in cheers in the courtroom. Pickton did not react.

Pickton, 58, was convicted on Sunday for the murders of six women whose bodies were butchered in the slaughterhouse of his pig farm near Vancouver. He is charged with 26 murders and faces another trial on the remaining 20 murder counts.

"Nobody should meet death the way she did," Jay Draayers, a half brother of victim Sereena Abotsway, wrote in a statement read to the court. Abotsway's head, hands and feet were discovered in a bucket on Pickton's farm.

Some of the victims' relatives sobbed openly and even reporters and attorneys fought back tears as the statements were read.

Pickton sat emotionless in the prisoner's box as the family statements were read. He gazed at his hands that were folded on his lap.

Pickton leaned forward as if ready to speak when the judge later asked if he had anything to say, but his lawyer quickly said he would not address the court because he is still facing the 20 additional murder charges.

The life sentence was mandatory for a conviction on second degree murder, so the judge was deciding when would be eligible to apply for parole, within a range of 10 to 25 years.

Prosecutors had asked for the toughest sentence possible, calling the murders "cold blooded" and saying Pickton had shown no remorse. Canada does not have a death penalty.

WHY HURT MY MOTHER?

Pickton's victims were drug addicts and prostitutes in the poor Downtown Eastside of Vancouver on Canada's Pacific coast, but lead prosecutor Michael Petrie said it was important that the public know they were not "disposable people."

Pickton lured the women to his farm in the Vancouver suburb of Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, where he killed them and cut up their bodies to dispose of them.

The victims relatives talked of the brutality of the killings, and the pain of hearing their loved ones described in media reports only as sex trade workers and not as women who had families.

"Mr Pickton, why did you hurt my real mother and those other women?" 15-year-old Brittney Frey, daughter of Marnie Frey asked in a statement read by a relative.

The defense sought leniency saying Pickton also had a history of kindness. It noted the jury declined to convict him of the more serious charge first degree murder that required prosecutors to prove the killings were planned in advance.

But Pickton's attorney Peter Ritchie also acknowledged it was unlikely whatever sentence he received that a parole board would free a serial killer from prison.

The six murder victims were among more than 60 women who disappeared in Vancouver from the late 1980s until late 2001

this is like a real life texas chainsaw massacre, come on canada, you dont have guns there everthing is cool right, well maybe if there were more guns some of these bitches wouldnt have been fucked and gutted

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: 5150]
    #7747144 - 12/11/07 09:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

that foo is wack

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #7747160 - 12/11/07 09:24 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

statistically, canada is far safer than the u.s, although fucked up things happen all over the world.

--------------------

Offlinerainlover
Stranger

Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: Coaster]
    #7747165 - 12/11/07 09:25 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

You must be forgetting the ridiculous numbers of serial killers and random gun violence in the states.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: rainlover]
    #7747203 - 12/11/07 09:36 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html

PROVINCES AND TERRITORIES RANKED BY HOMICIDE RATE, 2003
PROVINCE/TERRITORY

PER 100,000
(1) Nunavut 10.21
(2) Northwest Territories 9.55
(3) Saskatchewan 4.12
(4) Manitoba 3.70
(5) Yukon 3.22
(6) British Columbia 2.24
(7) Alberta 2.00
(8) Ontario 1.45
(9) Quebec 1.34
(10) New Brunswick 1.07
(11) Newfoundland 0.96
(12) Nova Scotia 0.85
(13) Prince Edward Island 0.73

TEN WORST LARGE CITIES FOR MURDER, 2002
CITY

PER 100,000
(1) Washington, DC 45.8
(2) Detroit 42.0
(3) Baltimore 38.3
(4) Memphis 24.7
(5) Chicago 22.2
(6) Philadelphia 19.0
(7) Columbus 18.1
(8) Milwaukee 18.0
(9) Los Angeles 17.5
(10) Dallas 15.8

TEN SAFEST LARGE CITIES FOR MURDER, 2002
CITY

PER 100,000
(1) Honolulu 2.0
(2) El Paso 2.4
(3) San Jose 3.1
(4) Austin 3.7
(5) San Diego 3.8
(6) Portland 3.9
(7) Seattle 4.5
(8) New York 7.3
(9) San Francisco 7.3
(10) Oklahoma City 8.5

yep, tiny bits of anecdotal evidence are way more convincing than actual facts.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

OnlineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#7747206 - 12/11/07 09:36 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

5150 said:
whose bodies were butchered in the slaughterhouse of his pig farm near Vancouver.

Someone saw Snatch before he started killin folks

But really man, you're gonna have psychopathic killers everywhere, that's life

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2024

OfflineSapphireCat
Seeker
Male

Loc: Ireland
Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #7747256 - 12/11/07 09:49 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i thought of snatch aswell.

thecornking: from wherever you got those statistics, would they have the statistics for gun related crimes aswell? (armed robbery etc?)

guns dont stop murderers, and guns dont encourage murderers either imo. but i do find that guns being available would make someone in a desperate spot hold up a place.

--------------------
Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on Simplicity ~Plato

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: SapphireCat]
    #7747269 - 12/11/07 09:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SapphireCat said:
guns dont stop murderers, and guns dont encourage murderers either imo. but i do find that guns being available would make someone in a desperate spot hold up a place.

I don't know about that either. My biggest concern with guns is that if you're suicidal, you could make a more rash decision with a gun around than you could with a razor blade or a bunch of pills.

--------------------

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: SapphireCat]
    #7747270 - 12/11/07 09:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

the link is at the top of my first post. it has some gun related stats.

"Two thirds of all 1992 US murders were accomplished with firearms. Handguns were used in about half of all murders. Sharp instruments were used in 17% of murders and blunt instruments in about 6%."

don't know if there's anything about gun related violence/robberies in the link.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: Silversoul]
    #7747302 - 12/11/07 09:59 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

We better ban them then, right? People will always kill themselves. Guns make it easier. Good. Who cares? Its a non-issue.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

Edited by robbyberto (12/11/07 09:59 PM)

OfflineSapphireCat
Seeker
Male

Loc: Ireland
Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: MrBump]
    #7747326 - 12/11/07 10:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

aw man, way too tired to go searchin tonight, think i'll just hit the hay instead :laugh:

out of curiosity.... any person pro-firearms that can explain to me how they see all the gun related crimes? or is it seen that criminals will get their hands on firearms anyway or what?

like it's all well and good for me to say that im generally a pacifist but put into a situation, i would defend myself with violence if communication couldnt weasel me out of a situation, id possibly even use a blunt object to try and gain advantage over whoever i was threatened by, but a gun? i just don't see it?

--------------------
Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on Simplicity ~Plato

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
    #7747340 - 12/11/07 10:11 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i suppose a bullet would only make it easier if your a dumbfuck, in how many movies have you seen someone sit in their garage with the engine running, pretty simple to do

look at the lead singer of Boston

Brad Delp: Details Emerge About His Tragic Suicide

The parked car was unattended, but to the police who arrived at Brad Delp’s home on March 9, it was immediately clear that something was amiss.

A dryer vent hose connected to the car’s exhaust pipe lay on the ground alongside the vehicle. Inside the garage, a note taped to the house door made the owner’s intentions explicit:

“To whoever finds this I have hopefully committed suicide. Plan B was to asphyxiate myself in my car.”

The police had been called to the Boston lead singer’s home in Atkinson, New Hampshire, by his fiancée, Pamela Sullivan, after she’d discovered Delp’s car with the dryer hose attached. Delp “had been depressed for some time,” Sullivan told the police, “feeling emotional [and] bad about himself.”

Inside the house, on a door at the top of the stairs, the police found a second note directing them to the master bedroom. Cautiously they made their way inside and into the master bedroom. There, like a portent, a third note warned them of the possible presence of deadly carbon monoxide.

Outside the bathroom of the master bedroom, a faint smell of burnt charcoal hovered in the air. The police knocked on the bathroom door. “Mr. Delp?” they called. “Sir, are you inside? Are you okay, sir?”

After a lengthy silence, they turned their shoulders to the door and began battering it with their full force. As it gave, the odor of charcoal intensified and hot plumes of blue-grey smoke poured from the excavated room. Broken tape along the door indicated it had been sealed. The police waited for the smoke to abate, then entered the room, covering their mouths and waving away the haze.

As the smoke cleared, the scene within the bathroom slowly came into view. Two charcoal grills perched among the bathroom fixtures, their metal tops emitting heat waves. On the floor beside them lay the body of a man, his head resting on a pillow. A note paper-clipped to the neck of his shirt told them what they needed to know: "Mr. Brad Delp. Jai une ame salitaire. I am a lonely soul.”

Brad Delp was dead, a suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the New Hampshire medical examiner. He was 55.

Though his fragile emotional state had been known to his fiancée, Delp’s fans were none the wiser. To millions of music fans, he was forever the singer whose buoyant voice carried Boston to the top of the charts in the Seventies and Eighties with hits like “More Than a Feeling, “Peace of Mind,” “Long Time” and “Amanda.” At the time of his death, Delp was preparing for a summer tour with his Boston band mates, guitarists Tom Scholz and Barry Goudreau. He had also planned to marry Sullivan during a break in the tour.

Police found four sealed letters in the home that were addressed to Sullivan; Delp’s children; their mother, Micki Delp; and another unidentified couple. Police lieutenant William Baldwin said the police had given the letters to the family members without reading them.

Whatever insights the letters may have provided, Delp provided sufficient clues to his circumstances in one of the notes found at his house: “I take complete and sole responsibility for my present situation. I have lost my desire to live,” he wrote, adding instructions to the police on how to contact his fiancée. “Unfortunately she is totally unaware of what I have done.”

Brad Delp was cremated on Wednesday, March 14.

truly 1 of the better vocalist, if u havent heared Boston, check them out now, great music

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: robbyberto]
    #7747342 - 12/11/07 10:12 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

robbyberto said:
We better ban them then, right? People will always kill themselves. Guns make it easier. Good. Who cares? Its a non-issue.

I'm in no way anti-gun. I think banning guns is no more effective than banning drugs. But just because I oppose drug prohibition does not mean I think it's a good idea to shoot heroin. I support responsible drug use and responsible gun use.

--------------------

OfflineSummerOfLove
Stranger
Male

#7747524 - 12/11/07 11:08 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The argument can be made that a crazed gunman can be shot by a bystander to "save the day" This is the largest argument for pro-firearms lobbyists, however, is it not obvious that if the accessibility to guns was not so damn high, people wouldn't have them (and in succession, they wouldn't kill folks)?

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: SummerOfLove]
    #7747572 - 12/11/07 11:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SummerOfLove said:
The argument can be made that a crazed gunman can be shot by a bystander to "save the day" This is the largest argument for pro-firearms lobbyists, however, is it not obvious that if the accessibility to guns was not so damn high, people wouldn't have them (and in succession, they wouldn't kill folks)?

I think the problem would be that those who did have guns would be those you would want to protect yourself from. In my freshman year of college, I had a roommate who had some gangster friends. We would sometimes go over to these guys' apartment and smoke weed. One time, one of the guys showed off the gun he had just gotten off the black market. No registration or anything. I would not want guys like that being the only ones with guns.

I've seen a lot of statistics on gun violence that can be interpreted multiple ways, so it's hard to say just how dangerous gun ownership is to society or how effective gun control is. But in the absence of certainty, I'd rather err on the side of freedom. I realize that's not such a popular sentiment these days.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7747585 - 12/11/07 11:25 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I had to pull my gun once.  People ridiculed me for being a cowboy and such.  People said, "Just learn a martial art".  The reality is that by pulling my gun I completely defused the situation.  The dude backed up and walked away. 

If I had tried to use "martial arts" or if I had not pulled my gun then there would have been a serious fight and one of us would have gone to the hospital.

From my cold dead hands.  :rockon:

InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

#7747633 - 12/11/07 11:39 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

That crazy man lives, or lived, like 5-10 minutes from me.

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: Disco Cat]
    #7747646 - 12/11/07 11:42 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

you might unknowingly have some human remains buried on/near your property. creepy.

--------------------

InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

Re: canada is safer than the united states, right [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #7747683 - 12/11/07 11:55 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Well any jewlerly left on them is now mine, end of discussion, or else :psycho:

Invisibleparadox_
Life as Shaun
 User Gallery

Loc: BC
    #7747733 - 12/12/07 12:12 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

This happened nearly six years ago. Well, the part where they started finding bodies on his farm did.

I don't understand how more guns being around would have stopped this guy from killing anyone.

I wonder why he left body parts in buckets and randomly all over his property when he could have just fed the whole thing to his pigs. You know, they will go through bone like butter.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder