Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleemeryg89
Are we God yet?
 User Gallery

Loc: la madre Gaia
Pan. Subbs in Maine + ID Help
    #7167785 - 07/12/07 07:48 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hey friends!

I've got a friend with a rather large horse pasture... tons of composting shit and hay. I found a lot of what I believe to be Pan. subbs. Some are definately subbs, no doubt whatsoever... those are the one's in this pic:

They were found in two different patches. One short and stubby one, one tall elongated ones. You can probably pick out the difference in the photo. They're both definately subbs. though... the spores hadn't matured enough yet, so the gills were still rather light colored.

The rest I found I believe to be subbs as well. Growing in the same habitat, in the piles shoveled out the pack of a horse stall. Most of the smaller mushrooms have definative rings, and the spores are surely black as coal as seen in the photos below (once they've dropped)... however, the larger specimens seem to lose the rings (they're definately all the same type of mushroom from the same colonized patch with no other species growing throughout it). I'm just wondering if anyone has seen subbs that look like these... they're fairly short and stalky... the small one's usually have rings on the outer edge, with caps folding down, the gills are usually a shade of brown on these small ones... the older, larger ones have dark brown-black gills depending on maturation, but the outer rings seem to be gone, but with a brown spot in the center of the cap. None of the specimens blue, even the one's that I KNOW are subbs (in the upper photo)... from what I've gathered it's not a telltale sign of subbs to blue, since I've picked definative subbs without any bluing before. Just take a look at the photo below and tell me what you think... you can see rings on some and some not, and they are ALL the same type of mushroom.

And here is the complete harvest gathered, hopefully all actives:

Please let me know what you guys think.

Hopefully this is inspiring to any Mainer's doing searching out there. These were found in the central-maine area, fyi.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Pan. Subbs in Maine + ID Help [Re: emeryg89]
    #7168081 - 07/12/07 08:38 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, looks like Panaeolus subbalteatus.

OfflineYaMon
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #7205879 - 07/21/07 09:54 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I was out by a farm today where they keep llama's. Right on the edge of the fence where they feed them was a patch mushies that looked a LOT like those above...

There were too many people around earlier for me to bend down and start pickin', but I'll hit it up when I come home from work tonight. Since there was about 15-30 growing there, I'm guessing the field behind the place is LOADED with them as there are cows back there daily.

The weather has been really great the past few days, rainy and wet in the early morning then pretty hot afternoon. Last week I couldn't find a single mushroom anywhere, today I found tons.

Invisibleemeryg89
Are we God yet?
 User Gallery

Re: Pan. Subbs in Maine + ID Help [Re: YaMon]
    #7218329 - 07/24/07 02:07 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Just to let you all know, it turns out the one's in the second two photos were most likely an inactive pan. The one's in the first photo were 100% subbs, but like I said I was questioning the rest. However, on most of them the sporeprint turned out black, but activity was negligable by those who uncautiously ingested them all, heedless to warnings. Nobody got sick whatsoever, but only achieved minor body effects (save one person who said a 6 gram dose (dry) was comparable to a 1.5 g. cubensis trip). This is leading me to believe many were inactive pans and not actually subbs, because the definative subbs I find are very healthy and I see why they should not be relatively potent. We'll find out in the near future.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #7218404 - 07/24/07 02:34 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

You certainly have a mixed collection!

Some are Panaeolus subbalteatus. I highly recommend sorting the subbs from the unIDed mushrooms, and next time, keep your collections seperate! The for sure subbs in one bag, and the other uncertains in a different bag, for spore printing later, so in case you are still unsure by the time most a partially dried, you don't have to throw out the entire collection.

I think the uncertain collection are perhaps Stropharia, Hypholoma or an inactive Psilocybe such as Ps. coprophila, nothing i would advise in eating.

Lastly, the rings are caused by the drying of the cap surface- the umbo tends to fade to an opaque tan colour, while the cap margins retain a semi translucent brown. This effect is referred to as hygrophanous.

--------------------

Invisibleemeryg89
Are we God yet?
 User Gallery

Re: Pan. Subbs in Maine + ID Help [Re: CureCat]
    #7218774 - 07/24/07 04:05 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, lately I haven't even been picking one's that are even slightly questionable even if all other things check out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom