Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: dirty south
rye spawn mistake advice?
    #664702 - 06/05/02 07:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I recently tried an improvised rye spawn jar.
after six days at 80 degrees in the dark no apparent growth. i could shake the jar but the substrate was clumbed into big pieces it looks contaminated but could just be the uneven distribution of water as most all of the jar looks dry except on the sides and some on the bottom making a discoloring of substrate to appear darker might not be contamed. but after no apparent growth i assume it was contamed. so i just open the jar up in the middle of my dirty kitchen to see what faild when to my suprise a huge dense growth of myc. in the middle of the jar whher it was hidden from view when the lid was on. i freaked out and screwed the lid back on thinking if it wasn't contamed before it is now. about to shoot myself in the foot i figured it would be to dry in there to provide for the colonization of the whole jar anyway even if i haddent opened it. figuring it to fail soon anyway i decided to add some minereal water to it just in case it does survive. so i once again without any preperation open the jar and dump about 75 ccs of water to it and closed the lid and shook it really good. i still can't see and white growth from the sides of the jar but the discoloration seems to be even and probably was just the wetter stuff looking darker and not contams.
but what should i do? should i wait and see what happens?
should i try to spawn another jar with the clump of growth (probably about a 1/4 cup in size)?
if i do try to spawn another jar withit shold i use some verm to loosen the mix becuase it is very dens , esp. for myc. or would this defeat the purpose of trying spawn to begin with?
should i not risk future contams and just case the clump and have a mini pan going for fun?
or is the whole thing ruined now?
could my setup have ever worked in the first place?
thanks for any advice.

what i improvised with:
i used 200 g of a rye craker from the health food section of walmart its ingredients are whole grain rye flour, wheat bran, sesame seeds, wheat germ, wheat fiber, salt. i ground up the chrackers and added aprox 150cc mineral waterin a pint jar and pc for 1 1/2 hrs with masking tape over a small hole like in BRF lids w? the lid upside down on the jar. cooled inoc w/3cc s EC by first swabing some 91% iso alcoholover the tape covering the whole and pressed flame sterlized needle through tape and injected the 3cc's immediatly covering the whole left from the needle with more masking tape to seal the jar.

Edited by midas (06/05/02 07:14 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: rye spawn mistake advice? [Re: midas]
    #664753 - 06/05/02 07:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I am told that when using rye berries, you ought to use a 1:1 ratio of dry rye berries to water. In a quart jar, 1 cup of each works very well. Some teks call for more or less, but 1:1 seems to hydrate the berries well without making them burst.
If you're working with rye, I assume you are using filter discs. If not, look into it at Micron Magick Mycology Market.

Not to make this sound like a flame, but what I think you're lacking is patience. My friend made the a similar mistake when he started, and lost his whole first batch. A good basic rule is to NEVER open the jar unless you plan on discarding the contents (or it's totally colonized and ready to case). Wait at least 2 weeks for growth before suspecting contamination.

Read the FAQ!
Read !

myco contractor
Re: rye spawn mistake advice? [Re: midas]
    #665532 - 06/06/02 08:30 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think your problem lays in the tek not contams. Problems in the tek=contams. I would recommend soaking you rye grain over night in a bucket with water. Take the grain out rinse off and load your jars, make sure you let the grain drain well before adding to jars. I think this will solve your problems because my fireants have only got this tek to work for them.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation