Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Nick Drake
    #6472103 -

I believe this man can make simply beautiful pieces of work with his voice and guitar. Discuss.:crazy2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: shroomanic]
    #6472778 -

Simply put, the shiznittlebam!

His fingerpicking style is one of my biggest influences as a guitar player. Honestly, theres just nothing about his music I don't like, except mabey that there was not alot of it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: shroomanic]
    #6472973 -
Log in to view attachment

I must agree. I think the song "Place To Be" is just a beautiful piece of poetry, and sung with such melancholy and regret that it just about brings me to tears every time I hear it. All his songs are like that, I just like this one in particular.

When I was younger, younger than before
I never saw the truth hanging from the door
And now Im older see it face to face
And now Im older gotta get up clean the place

And I was green, greener than the hill
Where the flowers grew and the sun shone still
Now Im darker than the deepest sea
Just hand me down, give me a place to be

And I was strong, strong in the sun
I thought Id see when day is done
Now Im weaker than the palest blue
Oh, so weak in this need for you

Edited by Revelation (01/18/07 01:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: shroomanic]
    #6475475 -

shroomanic said:
I believe this man can make simply beautiful pieces of work with his voice and guitar. Discuss.:crazy2:



*could make

He's not been doing any of that for a while. I love Pink Moon and some other solo songs ("Time of No Reply" is stunning), not such a fan of the songs with the big arrangements on, like the first2 albums. Genius tho.


--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: shroomanic]
    #6475709 -

He's dead, no? I used to listen to some of his music back about 5 years ago, but haven't listened to any in a while. IT's good stuff, though.


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: demiu5]
    #6475907 -

killed himself I belive


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: emptywisdom]
    #6475911 -

not suicide i guess, od on antidepresants. thats rough.


Nicholas Rodney Drake (June 19, 1948 – November 25, 1974) was an English singer-songwriter and musician best known for his acoustic, autumnal songs. Drake's primary instrument was the guitar, but he was also proficient at piano, clarinet, and saxophone. Though he failed to find a wide audience during his lifetime,[2] Drake's work has since grown steadily in stature,[3] to the extent that he is now widely considered one of the most influential singer-songwriters of the last 50 years.[4][5][6]

Drake signed to Island Records when he was twenty years old, and released his debut album Five Leaves Left in 1969. By 1972 he had recorded a further two albums. However, none sold more than five thousand copies during their first release,[2] and his reluctance to perform live[3] or to be interviewed contributed to his lack of commercial success.

Drake battled with depression and insomnia throughout his life,[7] and the topics would often appear as the subject of his lyrics. Upon completion of his third album, 1972's Pink Moon, he withdrew from both live performance and recording, retreating to his parents' home in rural Warwickshire. On November 25, 1974, Nick Drake died from an overdose of antidepressants, at the age of 26.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: emptywisdom]
    #6476610 -

yea hes absolutely the best for me for singer-songwriters. Its hard to believe he wrote all that stuff so long ago. So far ahead of his time! Also i heard that he had so little confidence he never performed, and when he worked with other artists he would always play with his back to them because he was so self concious.

I havent heard anyone really touch upon his style, except that guy from iron and wine. To me hes just a blatant ripoff doing an underpar job. But yea ill mention some that are kiiiiiiiiind of like him.

Bruce Cockburn - An amazing fingerstylist. Id really recommend his album Dancing in the Dragon's jaws.

Elliot Smith - If you like the beatles and nick drake, hes kind of like a mix of the two. All his stuff is good, but his album "from a basement on a hill" is primarily acoustic. I deffinately recommend this guy.

hmmm who else is worthy of being in the same class as Nick Drake?


--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: emptywisdom]
    #6477510 -

Sweet jesus.

I love what I have heard of this man's work, and had no idea his story was so tragic.

Anti-depressant overdose at 26... how could a man with such a pure and wonderful voice harbor such inhibitions and anxiety? Usually such features of a personality shine through very persistantly in one's singing voice.

Fuck.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #6480807 -

I saw it written and I saw it said- pink moon is on its way.
None of you stand so tall, pink moon gonna get you all
and it's a pink moon, yeah, pink moon.
Pink, pink, pink, pink, pink moon. Pink, pink, pink, pink, pink moon.

I saw it written and I saw it said- pink moon is on its way.
None of you stand so tall, pink moon gonna get you all
and it's a pink moon, yeah, pink moon.


--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: shroomanic]
    #6481957 -

River Man is spellbinding, one of my favourite tunes ever by anyone.

And really really difficult to play on the guitar and sing at the same time, as the time signature is.....difficult!!

:smile:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Nick Drake [Re: LuciferSam]
    #6482630 -

Yea not many people realize this but Nick Drake incorporates alot of jazzy ideas into his music.


--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Every Show I've Seen Since 4/24/03 OneMoreRobot3021 2,789 19 05/06/05 09:26 PM
by kake
* dissection of TOOL
( 1 2 3 all )
Murex 7,011 48 02/06/04 12:14 AM
by SlapnutRob
* Post deleted by Anno AnnoA 504 1 05/05/01 12:02 AM
by D Joseph
* teach me time shaggy101 769 8 03/26/04 02:31 AM
by shaggy101
* What are your favorite Shpongle tracks?
( 1 2 all )
Noviseer 2,929 23 07/26/03 03:35 PM
by Noviseer
* How do I make electronic music?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
TheShroomHermit 10,685 70 03/09/05 01:07 AM
by Zekebomb
* Re: SCSI problems (surprise) Anonymous 1,729 4 04/16/00 03:55 PM
by Link
* A Clown Screams... PapaverS 578 2 10/28/03 12:32 PM
by Strumpling

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
1,310 topic views. 0 members, 22 guests and 8 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.