Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3883302 - 03/07/05 03:42 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

God Damn Flexburn All this reading has changed my mind about buying a synth now:grin: What software would you recommend for a starter? I already have acid pro which I download but it has no loops so its just sitting there not getting use. Do you know of a great place to download loops or some new sounds?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3884197 - 03/07/05 07:31 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

For my use, I couldnt ask for a better keyboard than my triton. No software can compare IMO. Thats just because I dont make all of this electronic music. Im a piano player. I paid 1499 for mine with sampler. I wouldnt trade it for anything. 88 weighted key. Be a man.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Edited by GratefulJim (03/08/05 03:46 PM)

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: Osker246]
    #3885001 - 03/07/05 09:57 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

make your own loops and sounds, its the only viable way to not be using someone elses shit :thumbup:

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: Jim]
    #3885026 - 03/07/05 10:02 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

jeez you guys post a lot.... took me 20 minutes to read everything since not being on for a day. Now, i really dont even know where to start.

Ok, Fluxburn, I completely get where you are coming from. I live in Nashville, this is the cookie cutter songwriters of the world. People here dont care about what song they write, or buy, or play, as long as they can make money. These people end up burning out and after 1 maybe 2 albums are forgotten forever, only to be remembered on "Country Flashbacks" on radio stations every so often.
I seriously wish I could like most country and pop. I can appreciate the mixing and mastering, which is what i usually listen to once the music has nothing for me.
Lets get one thing straight though.... Brittany, and Christina, are whores... they have sold their "selves" to corporations, which in turn probably has them on a strict diet, work out program, dictates any peircing they have, what color their hair is etc etc. They are talentless compared to any vocalist from Bollywood or a hundred other female vocalists i could mention. You say you have been "producing" or whatever, well can you not hear the ridiculous amount of auto-tune going on in their songs? She should change her name to Brittany Antares...(christina doesnt use it nearly as much).

Ok, case in point about electronica..... Last night i was at a bar, and i heard this song; it was really catchy...for 20 seconds, until i realized that was the whole song, repeated, same beat, same vocal loop. Im sure you have heard the song...the lyrics go something like "I beat that bitch with a (whip???)" couldnt hear the last word ever. Just kept saying that over and over again. It is like electronica "artists" just fiddle around with synths and loops for days and hours on end until they finally have one catchy 20 second peice and take that and run with it. After hearing the next few songs in that bar, which were just like it, (maybe it was the same song though that lasted for 40 minutes, wouldnt surprise me with techno) I started dying laughing. These people are making fun of you, no artist should be able to get away with doing this! it is like buying an entire album for one song; listening to a 10 minute song, that never changes, and has 20 seconds of somewhat original grooves.

AND OSKER: if you actually plan on playing this music out, or selling it anywhere, you should purchase all of your software. Companies dont care about you using it until you start making $$$. The modern DJ is now being replaced by a guy with a computer, but if you ever want to do any fusion with a band, you need some amount of hardware. A synth/keyboard is never a wasted investment as long as it is put to use and doesnt sit in a corner gathering dust.
I had a PSR640 (yamaha) keyboard. It looked cheesy, mostly it was, but i got so good at the thing that it was played and jammed to at a good many shows. I had it for 6 years until it finally broke. It was my music notepad, it could record 60 MIDI songs on its floppy drive. Had onboard DSP, beautiful outputs, 715 sound bank and a bunch of other fun stuff. So basically, if you want to really create with your hands, and manipulate your music from the body, get a hardware synth. If you just want to DJ at bars or parties, get a computer set up, depends on how much of a musician you really want to be.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3885169 - 03/07/05 10:41 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Seriously about buying a synth. You will need a synth for playing the softsynths unless you just program everything. You need to check out local spots or ebay and get a used 76 midi controller I would recommend at least.

Software I love cubase, but protools le is dope too or logic for mac and sonar is another good one for windows. Also digital performer dp is great for mac, honestly they are all the same damn thing, a sequencer / audio thing.

I would go with whatever one you like man, since they all do the same goddamn thing. Goto www.academicsuperstore.com and enjoy the software for cheap. If you were taking music at college you might even be able to get it cheaper from the school, I can get windows xp for like $8 from my school.

I wouldn't get cubase sx if I was you, just get cubase sl, or protools le, or sonar x or whatever the lesser version is.

Alternatively go on ebay and get Cubase Sx 2, not the new 3 for like $100-200 whatever it costs.

You can even use the old cubase vst and get it for almost free lol. I think that infected mushroom and others still use cubase vst since they are so used to it and don't want to change lol.

I recommend cubase sx since it works so well with windows xp,  but it also works well for the mac. Seriously on ebay right now cubase sx 2.0 for $100 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

That software retailed for $750 not even a year ago. Seriously it works great and cubase sx3 has like 3 more features. If you really want you can buy cubase sx 2 new for like $200 and upgrade to sx3 for like $100 or something.

The coolest controller for softsynths Novation Remote 25 http://www.novationmusic.com/index.asp and the Korg microkontrol http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=microkontrol&category_id=

and I think one other are cool or whatever, but you can just buy a cheap ass synth / controller like the yamaha an1x http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW and you can use those knobs to control softsynths.

The only advantage to say the novation remove 25 is that you can save programs on the synth, but you can do it in the software anyway. The oxygen 8 is similar and only $100 to the remote 25.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3885423 - 03/08/05 12:01 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Man fluxburn all this reading is just inspiring me more and more. I gota atleast thank you one more time along with everybody else for sharing this info. Since this is my last year of High school Im starting to think taking a music class in college is a must. Hell its will be tuff doing pharmacology and music at the same time but Im willing. I've always had quite the ear for music but never really understood how electronic music was produced. Hell I just bought myself some turntables the other day. I've have become so interested in all of it with in the past couple of months its not even funny.

Edited by Osker246 (03/08/05 12:22 AM)

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3885464 - 03/08/05 12:12 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

just take basic music theory and electronic recording classes, if you can take advanced music theory and get into composition, I wish I would have stayed longer myself. I went to a business degree instead.

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: Middleman]
    #3885935 - 03/08/05 02:42 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Jinx said:
Acid Pro can't touch DP4!

Software can't touch this hardware:

*cough* That hardware has software *cough*

aGNUla

--------------------
delta9

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3885948 - 03/08/05 02:47 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Seriously, the hardware thing is all in your head, the computer processors we use are way more powerful then the processors they use in those synths. If you don't believe me open up you goddamn synth and see the pc boards and chips that look like they are from the 90's lol.

--------------------

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
    #3887406 - 03/08/05 01:22 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

I honestly agree that software is better than hardware (though you can't forget the comp is the ultimate piece of hardware  :wink: ) hell, I keep an old yamaha keyboard around just for playing softsythns thru MIDI..it has keys with great touch sensitivity that you really need to make the softsythns play right.

I was just posting up those prices to show that software is very expensive, especially if you don't know what you need or what you want, or more importantly if you don't even know what the soft is capable of (they always make it sound like it does more than it really does)...  I highly recommend trying any piece of soft before you buy it, even if you have to try it for a long time before you can afford it.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: lackobreath]
    #3890242 - 03/08/05 11:07 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

I highly recommend trying any piece of soft before you buy it, even if you have to try it for a long time before you can afford it.

yeah, the way I see it you just download the software for free illegally, learn it and fool around with it, and then later, if you plan to make money from using it, then buy an official version. (Better yet, buy it after you've made enough money from using it.)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds