Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSyd_barret
The Greatest
Shrooms and bodyweight
    #472285 - 11/28/01 11:26 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Im debating with a friend right now whether or not the weight of the person consuming the shrooms has a large effect or not.
I argue that the same amount of shrooms (lets just assume everything is of equal potency) will fuck up one person as much as the next, not taking into account experience and just personal tolerance to psychadelics....

SO my question is if a 130 pound person eats everything the same as a 170 pound guy, will the 170 pound guy not get as hard a trip?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSyd_barret
The Greatest
Re: Shrooms and bodyweight [Re: Syd_barret]
    #472387 - 11/28/01 01:26 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Mega Bumpage please

Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
    #472417 - 11/28/01 01:53 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I'd say that weight does seem to make a difference, to me anyway - 110lbs, limit seems to be 1.5 - 2g......

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
    #472420 - 11/28/01 02:00 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Not a ton of experience to draw on here, but several recent trips with friends make me believe that weight is somewhat irrelevant. One friend weighs no more than 100 punds, another about 175, I'm in between. Dosing the same amount, we've seen no discernible difference in trip levels....ymmv

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Re: Shrooms and bodyweight [Re: babyshroom]
    #472427 - 11/28/01 02:06 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I stand corrected, babyshroom! :tongue:
....must just be an individual thing then, specific to the person...

OfflineSupershrooomer
journeyman
 User Gallery

#472454 - 11/28/01 02:40 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Mushrooms once they are metabolized are dispersed throughout the entire body, with varying concentrations. This would mean that a difference in body weight may have a slight factor in how hard you trip. But whether it is significant or not I do not know.

OfflineTeiro
Earth Entitie
Loc: A Sunny Beach in a Tropic...
    #473307 - 11/29/01 06:25 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

You are wrong... You have to adjust the dose for the person weight.
I weight 165, my girlfriend 110 and a great friend 220. Once we all took 2.5g each.
My girlfriedn could not control herself, she sow the walls, floor, everything moving, she cold not stop laughting, was hearing voices that were not there, etc.
I got high, but behaved myself very well to the poing of driving to a bar and getting us something to eat and drink. Latter on I also sow some visuals, but not close to what she was seeing.
Finally my big tall friend, only sow aureas around street and home lights and got unusually happy.
So we adjust it to our weights now. I like to take 3g my big friend takes 4g and my girl 2g. In this way we fell about the same as each other.

--------------------
Life does not have to be necessarily long. It just has to be good. Be wise. Peace, Love, Flower Power.

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Re: Shrooms and bodyweight [Re: Teiro]
    #473313 - 11/29/01 06:33 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmm....you may be right. My bf weighs the most, but has the lowest tolerance (in general, drugwise). My best friend is the lightest, but has an unusually high tolerance for most drugs. Could just be coincidence that we are all able to dose the same amount and be about the same place when tripping.

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Offlinedoomsday
journeyman

Re: Shrooms and bodyweight [Re: babyshroom]
    #473360 - 11/29/01 08:21 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Don't know? I am very into going to the gym, and keeping a special, really high protein intake and blah, blah, blah. But my weight has varied from 123 - 165 this year and with my weight and body fat changes, i havent really noticed a difference. The only thing i noticed was when I either speed my metabolism way up, or drop it low. The faster it gets, the faster and harder the trip seems to hit.

--------------------
/* echos */

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shrooms and bodyweight [Re: Teiro]
    #473422 - 11/29/01 10:04 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

"You are wrong... You have to adjust the dose for the person weight. "

Is the body of your post what you base this hypothesis upon? Have you ever even thought that maybe possibly the difference between people has to do with individual tolerances? Or have you just ignored all other possibilities for the sake of being able to tell someone else they are wrong?

I think you are wrong!! And if there is a difference with weight and amount needed it is minimal!

Surprisingly your gram to body weight ratios work out fairly well(if there is a linear relationship-I don't believe it is) to support your conclusion. But I still don't feel it is an accurate presumtion.

Don't go around calling other people wrong, when you have no proof! This is how misinformation is spread!

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Edited by Olgualion (11/29/01 10:06 AM)

OfflineChangLee
enthusiast
    #473448 - 11/29/01 10:46 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

just another opinion here--

take alcohol for example: body weight plays a direct role because the heavier the person, the less the concentration in the blood will be. It's more dispersed over more cells in the body. As a result, the brain receives a given amount of the drug in direct proportion to the blood alcohol level. Over time, this effect wears off as blood alcohol decreases. The alcohol is metabolized through the liver, exhaled through the lungs, sweated out, and excreted thru urine.

As for mushrooms, the brain isn't directly affected by the level of the chemical in the blood (of course it DOES GET there thru the blood). Rather, it's affected over time by the psilocybin accumulating in the neuroreceptors. Since your brain probably weighs almost the same as mine (proportionally speaking) I would think we'd have similar trips (of course mileage varies).

To sum it up, if I'm 220 and you're 100 lbs, and we both drink 3 Vodka and Tonics with a twist of lime, you're gonna feel the effects far more than I.

If we both take 2.5 dry grams of Golden Teacher, in an hour your brain is going to have the same amount of psilocybin in it as will mine. The only variable is tolerance, and one's personal reaction to the psilocybin.

I could be completely wrong here. . . . but it sounds good to me.

:)

--------------------
". . . and I'm searchin' for the latest thing, a break in this routine--I'm talkin' some new kicks; ones like you ain't never seen. . . . "

OfflineSyd_barret
The Greatest
Re: Shrooms and bodyweight [Re: Olgualion]
    #474026 - 11/29/01 07:50 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Ok after consulting several books and people who know way more about this then I do, I have concluded weight does infact make a difference but its so damn small that it doesnt matter at all really.

Invisibleisis
addict
Re: Shrooms and bodyweight [Re: Olgualion]
    #474073 - 11/29/01 08:32 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

When dealing with psychedelics, I believe the issue is more complex than just dose to weight ratio. In medicine most dosing is figured out by body weight. There are some chemicals that are not figured out by body weight but by far this is how it is done. I suspect there has to be a weight to dose relationship from a scientific perpesctive. But it seems to me that it is more complicated than just dose to weight ratio. Some individuals are more sensitive than others to psilocibin. Individual sensitivities vary. This can be applied to other pharmacuticals also.You also have to look at a persons mental status and individual tolerance levels. Dosing and the level of a trip very well may partly depend on dose/weight ration, but it also depends on multiple other factors. Personally, Iam very sensitive to psilocibin. I can take .5grams and have a level 2 trip.Give .5g to another person my weight and nothing may happen. I have also had discussions with people that weight more than I that are also this sensitive despite their weight.

Edited by isis (11/29/01 08:38 PM)

OfflineSyd_barret
The Greatest
Re: Shrooms and bodyweight [Re: isis]
    #474088 - 11/29/01 08:40 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Weight plays such a little factor it can be dismissed as a variable almost...

Personal tolerance and mind setting etc etc (everything that is not a controlled variable basiclly) are what determine a trip as well as many other things

Dismiss weight it makes almost no difference

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #474192 - 11/29/01 10:35 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I beleive that there are many variables that play into effects and levels. So many that each individually isn't worth much, but together they decide the change. Body weight, accumulated tolerance, allergies, cross tolerances, natural tolerances, immunities, body chemical levels, brain chemical levels, state of mind, mental diseases, set & setting, body temperature, placebo effects, mental preparedness, meditation and spirtual development, fear factor, etc, etc, etc.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlinenoely757
Stranger
    #4301313 - 06/15/05 08:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'll just say this from personal experience. Like all other intoxicants. I find it has to do with toleraance. I'm about 210 and have a lot of friends who are of various weights and the only constant i find is that the people who do more of whatever it is, trip out less severely. Hope this is some help!!!

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4301344 - 06/15/05 08:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Ancient thread dug up that has very little to do with cultivation.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck