Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
Yahoo helped jail (kill) Chinese journalist
    #4650272 - 09/12/05 02:57 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

What other search engine can say they have killed somebody?

Yahoo helped jail Chinese journalist

Quote:

BEIJING, China (AP) -- A French media watchdog said Tuesday that information provided by Internet powerhouse Yahoo Inc. helped Chinese authorities convict and jail a journalist who had written an e-mail about press restrictions.

The harsh criticism from Reporters Without Borders marks the latest instance in which a prominent high-tech company has faced accusations of cooperating with Chinese authorities to gain favor in a country that's expected to become an Internet gold mine.

Sunnyvale, California-based Yahoo and two of its biggest rivals, Google Inc. and Microsoft Corp.'s MSN, previously have come under attack for censoring online news sites and Web logs, or blogs, that include content that China's communist government wants to suppress.

Reporters Without Borders ridiculed Yahoo for becoming even cozier with the Chinese government by becoming a police informant in a case that led to the recent conviction of Chinese journalist Shi Tao.

"Does the fact that this corporation operates under Chinese law free it from all ethical considerations?" Reporters Without Borders said in a statement. "How far will it go to please Beijing?"

Pauline Wong, head of marketing for the Hong Kong office, said Wednesday that the company had no comment on the statement.

"We're still looking at it," Wong said.

Reporters Without Borders said court papers showed that Yahoo Holdings (Hong Kong) Ltd. gave Chinese investigators information that helped them trace a personal Yahoo e-mail allegedly containing state secrets to Tao's computer. Yahoo Holdings (Hong Kong) Ltd. is part of Yahoo's global network.

Shi, a former journalist for the financial publication Contemporary Business News, was sentenced in April to 10 years in prison for illegally providing state secrets to foreigners. Reporters Without Borders described Shi as a "good journalist who has paid dearly for trying to get the news out."

His conviction stemmed from an e-mail he sent containing his notes on a government circular that spelled out restrictions on the media.

"This probably would not have been possible without the cooperation of Yahoo," said Lucie Morillon, a Washington, D.C.-based spokeswoman for Reporters Without Borders.

Shi's arrest in November at his home in the northwestern province of Shanxi prompted appeals for his release by activists, including the international writers group PEN.

A number of Chinese journalists have faced similar charges of violating vague security laws as communist leaders struggle to maintain control of information in the burgeoning Internet era.

Yahoo and its major rivals have been expanding their presence in China in hopes of reaching more of the country's population as the Internet becomes more ingrained in their daily lives.

Just last month, Yahoo paid $1 billion for a 40 percent stake in China's biggest online commerce firm, Alibaba.com.

Meanwhile, Google and Microsoft are locked in a bitter legal battle over a former Microsoft engineer who Google hired in July to oversee the opening of a research center in China.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Yahoo helped jail (kill) Chinese journalist [Re: phreakyzen]
    #4650348 - 09/12/05 03:19 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

WTF

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4650397 - 09/12/05 03:28 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I would love to have a translated copy of that e-mail. It needs to get out. Yahoo is supporting censorship.

But honestly if I was in that country I would not do that for the Chinese government. But that would quite possibly mean loosing you're job, or worse yet, you're freedom. So I guess it can't really be expected from the individuals at companies. More something the entire company would have to do.

The real enemy here is the Chinese government. Now this is purely hear-say but I have heard from alot of different sources that China is jailing people that practice certain meditative practices. Also, I have heard that in Vancouver they where caught spying on people that also practice meditative energy work.

I wouldn't have believed one source, but a few different people from different social groups talking about the same sorta stuff, MIGHT be some truth to it.

But what I am getting at is, if they are jailing people for stuff like this, I would NEVER support them, or do work for people that do.

Edited by Anisotropic (09/12/05 03:30 PM)

OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

Loc: The Trenches of France
    #4650406 - 09/12/05 03:30 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I use google anyway. That way I'm supporting freedom and democracy.

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
Re: Yahoo helped jail (kill) Chinese journalist [Re: Anisotropic]
    #4650410 - 09/12/05 03:31 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Yahoo is doing more than supporting censorship they are responsible for this man's death. The Chinese government will more than likely kill this journalist. I am sure they knew full well what would happen once this man was caught.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4650430 - 09/12/05 03:38 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, I know. Sad. This is why I hate large concentrations of power. Churches, companies, governments, political parties...

Most all lead to things like this.

The question here is.. Are these people that work for Yahoo Chinese?

I mean did the people at Yahoo US hear about this first? Did they have any choice in the matter? Was it one person at the company in one day? or a coordinated event that took weeks and more people?

I don't really understand how companies exist in multiple countries. I don't really know how decisions like this cross boarders.

I want to hear more about this.

OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

#4650447 - 09/12/05 03:44 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

How do churches result things "like this", being the jailing and possible murder of a journalist? Haha. Maybe some priest will get the guy who wrote the Da Vinci code killed

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: Yahoo helped jail (kill) Chinese journalist [Re: Unagipie]
    #4650479 - 09/12/05 03:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, well the catholic church helped move around and protect child pedophiles. (By churches I mean large religions.)

Not to mention the Crusades, and the current Islamic war against everyone else, Christian and Islamic terrorists in north Africa etc...

By 'like this' I mean having a negative impact on people's lives unjustly because they believe differently then you, or to help protect an already corrupt concentration of power.

Edited by Anisotropic (09/12/05 03:54 PM)

OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

#4650515 - 09/12/05 04:02 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

This situation with the journalist is a state abusing its power (Beijing). What the Catholic Church did with the molestation coverup was in contradiction with the law. It was not related to a corrupt government, like communist China. Draggin religion into this is like giving an already beaten dog a kick in the gut.

--------------------

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: Yahoo helped jail (kill) Chinese journalist [Re: Unagipie]
    #4650710 - 09/12/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

They are both abuses of power, to suppress information from leaking, with a negative impact on people's lives.

Both a manifestation of too many of the wrong people having too much power.

"Dragging religion into this is like giving an already beaten dog a kick in the gut."

[You don't have to like my posts. And past this I will not respond because this is already off topic.]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion