Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
Oregon Law Would Jail War Protesters as Terrorists
    #1430318 - 04/05/03 12:49 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030403/ts_nm/life_protests_dc_1

By Lee Douglas

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - An Oregon anti-terrorism bill would jail street-blocking protesters for at least 25 years in a thinly veiled effort to discourage anti-war demonstrations, critics say.

The bill has met strong opposition but lawmakers still expect a debate on the definition of terrorism and the value of free speech before a vote by the state senate judiciary committee (news - web sites), whose Chairman, Republican Senator John Minnis, wrote the proposed legislation.

Dubbed Senate Bill 742, it identifies a terrorist as a person who "plans or participates in an act that is intended, by at least one of its participants, to disrupt" business, transportation, schools, government, or free assembly.

The bill's few public supporters say police need stronger laws to break up protests that have created havoc in cities like Portland, where thousands of people have marched and demonstrated against war in Iraq (news - web sites) since last fall.

"We need some additional tools to control protests that shut down the city," said Lars Larson, a conservative radio talk show host who has aggressively stumped for the bill.

Larson said protesters should be protected by free speech laws, but not given free reign to hold up ambulances or frighten people out of their daily routines, adding that police and the court system could be trusted to see the difference.

"Right now a group of people can get together and go downtown and block a freeway," Larson said. "You need a tool to deal with that."

The bill contains automatic sentences of 25 years to life for the crime of terrorism.

Critics of the bill say its language is so vague it erodes basic freedoms in the name of fighting terrorism under an extremely broad definition.

"Under the original version (terrorism) meant essentially a food fight," said Andrea Meyer of the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) (ACLU), which opposes the bill.

Police unions and minority groups also oppose the bill for fear it could have a chilling effect on relations between police and poor people, minorities, children and "vulnerable" populations.

Legislators say the bill stands little chance of passage.

"I just don't think this bill is ever going to get out of committee," said Democratic Senator Vicki Walker, one of four members on the six-person panel who have said they oppose the legislation.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Oregon Law Would Jail War Protesters as Terrorists [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1430365 - 04/05/03 01:18 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

that's fucking retarded! let's brand everybody a terrorist!

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Oregon Law Would Jail War Protesters as Terrorists [Re: ]
    #1430389 - 04/05/03 01:27 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Their is a guy in my town who owns a skate park..

One night some kids broke in, spray painted some ramps, knocked over a pepsi machine and did other damage and the guy caught them. He restrained two of them and put them in his office till cops arived...

Joking with a worker at the park he said that maybe he should cut their fingers and toes off or maybe shoot nails into their hands..

The kids SOooooo traumatized after hearing what the guy said filed a wrongfull imprisionment suit with special circumstances.. The circumstances were terrorist threats against their life....

The case is still in court.. Last I read Pepsi actualy got involved and SLAMED the kids with everything theyve got for vandalizing their machine and got one kids parrents to drop everything... The other kid is still sueing...

Sory... This thread just reminded me of this story.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Re: Oregon Law Would Jail War Protesters as Terrorists [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1430393 - 04/05/03 01:28 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Deja vue all over again. Look a page or two back.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion