Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinephi1618
old hand

how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed?
    #4639372 - 09/09/05 09:20 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well?

I expect that the figures will be drastically lowballed.

Of course, I haven't the foggiest idea how many people were actually killed, but I'll be very surprised if it isn't "much fewer than previously thought".

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineVex
Stranger
Re: how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed? [Re: phi1618]
    #4639381 - 09/09/05 09:24 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i don't know..i wonder if they count the people that die of disease and whatnot.

i'll tell ya though, i doubt theres gonna be some sort of media conspiracy to "cover up" the real number. let's get rid of that theory right away, because lets face it, the media loves death. the more the better!

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed? [Re: phi1618]
    #4639387 - 09/09/05 09:26 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

What are you saying? That if they eventually recover 1500 bodies, this information will be suppressed (by whom, exactly?) and we will be told that only 1100 bodies were recovered?

What is your basis for assuming such deliberate falsification?

Phred

--------------------

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed? [Re: Phred]
    #4639445 - 09/09/05 09:44 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not suggesting a media conspiracy. Reporters will report what they're told, but they'll be lied to. Excess bodies will be burned (or washed out to sea).

My basis for assuming such deliberate falsification is my faith in our leaders to do what will best preserve their power. Nobody likes looking like a collosal failure.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4639521 - 09/09/05 10:18 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

So you are saying that somehow the authorities will falsify the records of funeral homes, coroner's reports, death certificates issued, life insurance policies paid out and more? That's a big job for even a competent organization to pull off.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4639528 - 09/09/05 10:23 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Chances are, if any bodies were washed out to sea or somehow disappeared from the counting, we'll be able to tell from the discrepancies by the number of missing people (after everybody alive is reunited) and the body count.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed? [Re: Phred]
    #4639551 - 09/09/05 10:29 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

George Bush doesn't care about black people, that's why they're not going to be counted. :wink:

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4639562 - 09/09/05 10:33 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

They were low balled in the press related to huricanne Marilyn in the U.S.V.I. in '95. The official reports in the news were varying between 7-12. Anyone who was there knows it was over 100.

Why do they low ball them, I don't know. I wish they wouldn't because people won't take these things as seriously.

Someone here who was in Andrew said they low balled that one too.

Unless you are in a disaster and experience the reality from the media reports for yourself, I can't blame anyone for just beleiving the news reports.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4639565 - 09/09/05 10:36 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

bums usually don't get funerals or life insurance

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4639623 - 09/09/05 10:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I would be shocked if the number even approached the 10,000 that Nagin is claiming.

Of course, if the number is considerably lower, we all know there will be cries of a conspiracy and cover-up so the whole exersize is pointless anyways.

Even a single death is a tragady though.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed? [Re: Catalysis]
    #4639666 - 09/09/05 11:12 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Why should people have died at all? This wasn't a flash flood. It was a leak in a levy. It took hours for the city to fill up, and when it did is pretty shallow. People could walk in it. It didn't have a current or an undercurrent or rapids or whatever it is that usually sucks people up and kills them in floods.

I can see some elderly, some infants and so bums being floaters, but I would imagine the number would be quite small. The hurricane didn't even do that much damage to New Orleans, the brunt of it hit Mississippi. Now there is where people are going to be missing. In New Orleans I think the whole thing has been grossly exaggerated.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed? [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4639700 - 09/09/05 11:29 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I guess you havn't seen the dozens of square miles of sections with flood waters roof high. The lower lying areas filled up the highest the quickest.

Why did the thousands being plucked from roofs need to be rescued? They could've just walked out right? We didn't need to do those rescues either. After all, the flood waters were pretty shallow, right Jesus?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

Loc: The Trenches of France
Re: how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed? [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4639713 - 09/09/05 11:33 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

How do you explain the fact that many people were trapped in their attics by the flood waters (and thus dying if they couldn't bust through the roof). Have you even seen the pictures? There are large amounts of areas that were severaly flooded (likely causing the most death). I think some places in New Orleans the water was 20 ft deep at the onsent of the levee beak. Yea, the water may be only 3 or 4 feet deep in downtown or the north part of the French quarter, but go deep down into New Orleans, the ghettos and poor areas, the water was deep and deadly.

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed? [Re: Unagipie]
    #4639824 - 09/10/05 12:08 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It was deep in some places. I won't deny it. But still, it wasn't a river current or anything. It seemed to me like a slow fill. How many dead have they reported and confirmed to date in New Orleans? I think the predictions of over 10,000 are way off. I wouldn't be surprised if it was under 1,000.

I don't want to make light of it, it is still a tragedy. I feel sorry for those people, and I am hoping that they didn't die.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

#4639841 - 09/10/05 12:13 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well you'd know, you've been through a few disasters like this one? Just swim to the nearest mall right? Its no problem, why would anyone die at all. it was only a flood, water was only 20ft deep. Its not like people need a place to sleep, food, or medicine. Why would anyone die at all?

Disasters are easy when your watching them 'live' on TV

--------------------
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media." ~ William Colby, Former Director, CIA

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#4639890 - 09/10/05 12:25 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

So you are saying that somehow the authorities will falsify the records of funeral homes, coroner's reports, death certificates issued, life insurance policies paid out and more? That's a big job for even a competent organization to pull off.

Even if all those records exist for all the dead people (they don't, and won't - not even death certificates), somebody would have to find, count, and collate all those records for it to matter that they don't agree with the official body count.

Nobody will. Reporters will just report what they're told, and that's the end of the story.

Quote:

Even a single death is a tragady though.

:yawn:

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed? [Re: J4S0N]
    #4639936 - 09/10/05 12:35 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I am sorry already. Jesus. What is the confirmed death count so far anyway? Does anyone have that?

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

Loc: The Trenches of France
    #4640177 - 09/10/05 01:22 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well, for some time I've wondered myself why floods kill so many people. But for some reason they do. :shrug: I have thought a few times to myself that I could probably easily survive the flooding of New Orleans if I was a resident there, however the reality of the situation probably is alot different than what I presume.

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

Offlineblu3
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Re: how will reported death toll in new orleans relate to the actual number of people killed? [Re: faslimy]
    #4640330 - 09/10/05 02:00 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think it will be lowballed for the sake of amerian moral
\

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #4641029 - 09/10/05 07:26 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phi1618 said:
Well?

I expect that the figures will be drastically lowballed.

Of course, I haven't the foggiest idea how many people were actually killed, but I'll be very surprised if it isn't "much fewer than previously thought".

You dont realize how right right you are. They lowballed the amount of people who died in Andrew in miami. 12 people alone in my neighborhood died. They came around with freezer trucks and were loading bodies and taking them to the incinerator entire families were killed. Not only that but mexican illegals used to work on the Orange groves had their all their shacks blown away and they were pickin bodies out of the everglades for weeks to come.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion