Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
China Threatens Death in SARS Battle
    #1550892 - 05/15/03 01:52 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

China Threatens Death in SARS Battle; Fear in Taiwan

By John Ruwitch
BEIJING (Reuters) - China, haunted by the possibility of SARS rampaging through its vast countryside, has threatened to execute or jail for life anyone who intentionally spreads the killer virus.

The news came as authorities in Taiwan quarantined hundreds of people at three major hospitals amid fears of a widespread epidemic of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome on the island.

China, which has reported 271 deaths and about two-thirds of the world's 7,700 known SARS cases, issued a harsh interpretation of its laws on contagious disease after reports that people were violating quarantine orders or refusing to admit to the symptoms.

"Intentionally spreading sudden contagious disease pathogens, endangering public security or serious personal injury, death or heavy loss of public or private property will be punishable by from 10 years to life in prison or the death penalty," the official Xinhua news agency said.

Human rights groups said the punishment, which was laid down by the Supreme Court and the chief prosecutor, was harsh.

"The measure is too extreme and the punishment too heavy," Hong Kong-based rights activists Frank Lu said by telephone.

"It violates the international human rights covenant and was not approved by the National People's Congress," Lu said, referring to China's parliament.

But the World Health Organisation, which has consistently warned of the danger of SARS spreading in China's countryside, said people must act responsibly.

"I think it sounds very tough," WHO representative in China Henk Bekedam told Reuters. "But I do believe that people have a certain responsibility and it's very important that people understand what that responsibility is.

Chinese officials acknowledged that health controls might not be sufficient to contain the epidemic.

"The potential risk and channels for the SARS epidemic to spread to the countryside persist," said Vice Agriculture Minister Liu Jian. "We need to rouse utmost attention and caution."

Shanghai reported its second death from the respiratory virus that has also spelt disaster for the economy. A global tourism body said the virus will cost China about three million jobs in the industry this year.

Taiwan, with only a few cases of SARS until late April, now has 264 confirmed cases and 34 deaths -- the worst in the world after mainland China and Hong Kong, which has seen 234 deaths.

Traffic has disappeared from Taipei's usually bustling streets while department stores, hotels and restaurants have virtually no customers.

But the worst blow has been the quarantining of about 400 patients and health workers at two major hospitals and news that another 100 will be quarantined at a third.

Taiwan's government has ordered all subway passengers to wear face masks and canceled leave for the military.

The army's chemical warfare unit -- dressed in stark white, space suit-like protective gear and black gas masks -- has become a common sight as it disinfects the capital district by district.

But there was good news for Canada and Singapore.

In a regular update on the spread of the disease, the WHO said it had taken Canada off its list of areas where SARS was spreading.

Canada, with 24 SARS deaths, is the only country outside Asia where people have died of SARS, all of them in the area around the financial capital Toronto.

The WHO welcomed aggressive action in Singapore to isolate sick nurses and patients at the city state's largest mental hospital -- the patients had high fever which is a key symptom of SARS -- but said other illnesses might be responsible.

Singapore, with some of the world's strictest anti-SARS measures, looked to have the disease under control until the possible cases announced on Wednesday.

With the world's fourth-highest death toll at 28, the island state had gone 15 days without a new infection -- five days short of the WHO target for being taken off a list of affected regions.

"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: China Threatens Death in SARS Battle [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1552846 - 05/16/03 12:52 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

China threatens death about everything

fucking communists!

T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: China Threatens Death in SARS Battle [Re: ]
    #1552992 - 05/16/03 02:00 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"communist" in parathensis, the same way america is a "democracy"

enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

#1554343 - 05/16/03 04:39 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

the only thing I can say about that is, that yi guo, san biar de bing, zhei xie mingzi duo, ji duo,

Anthrax Vs. Sars. the Chinese conspiracy of dirtieng themselves and their nation with it.

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1554645 - 05/16/03 06:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So you either admit to it, and get quarantined until you probably die, or dont admit to it and you still die...OH, and lets not forget that by refusing to admit your illness, the punishment could be.....lol....DEATH!

"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: China Threatens Death in SARS Battle [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1556312 - 05/17/03 04:18 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

7 day fevers are very contagious,, from the point of origin,, not from humans, alot of fear and propaganda has caused this problem to become larger instead of solved. quarantining a patient while leaving his house and belongings as they stood, is not solving the problem, the "sars" could be in his basement,, do you see where I"m taking this conspiracy?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion