Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejohnjohnandjamal
Stranger

Soak WBS for 36 hrs?
    #4623391 - 09/05/05 05:28 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I soaked my wbs overnight last night but something came up and I did not get a chance to simmer and pc it today. Would I be able to use it still in the next 12 hrs or is it of no use now?

I tried a search but didnt find anything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Soak WBS for 36 hrs? [Re: johnjohnandjamal]
    #4623426 - 09/05/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You should be fine as long as you don't have any fermentation going on. Smell the WBS, if it smells like yeast, toss it.

I've gone 48 hours before because I forgot about my stuff. I don't recommend that of course, but it shows how resilient WBS can be.

OnlineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Loc: Lazy River Road
Re: Soak WBS for 36 hrs? [Re: Wronguy]
    #4623514 - 09/05/05 05:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hey augustin, what lid style do you use on your wbs jars? I've been doing alot of edible jars and running into about a 50% failure rate. I'm pretty sure it's the lids. I've been using the tyvek-lid-ring style. At the same time I've been doing LC's with 100% success, with the same syringe's, so I don't think it's the innoc. technique. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Easily test the dosage of your tabs at home!:lsd:
qtests.org

Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

InvisibleGratos
Just thinkin anddrinkin
 User Gallery
Re: Soak WBS for 36 hrs? [Re: Aiko Aiko]
    #4623527 - 09/05/05 06:03 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

FWIW, Ive tried using Tyvek lids on WBS and got nothing but contams. Of course, maybe my space is just to contaminated.

OnlineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Re: Soak WBS for 36 hrs? [Re: Gratos]
    #4623551 - 09/05/05 06:09 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I've all but givin up on the tyvek shiot. I have one oyster jar I just knocked up with one poly fill hole. If that works the tyveks trash. Well maybe I'll give it back to the fed-ex box I took it from.

--------------------
qtests.org

Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Offlinejohnjohnandjamal
Stranger

#4623610 - 09/05/05 06:33 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I found it started to smell after like 4 hrs. It hasn't started smelling any worse in that time. I changed the water earlier and now its back to a cloudy red. What signs should I look for to be certain to throw it out. OR, should I not even risk it and just start over?

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #4624036 - 09/05/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

johnjohnandjamal says:What signs should I look for to be certain to throw it out. OR, should I not even risk it and just start over?

As long as it hasn't started giving off a strong fermentation or a strong "sour" odor and the grains haven't sprouted, you should be fine. Keep changing the water-don't let the grains sit in stale water. Doing that will give your grains a little longer soak time.
I wouldn't go over 36 hours though, IMO, but, I have heard of shroomerites that have let their wbs set for 48 hours and still use it with no problems.

Quote:

Gobblin says:Hey augustin, what lid style do you use on your wbs jars? I've been doing alot of edible jars and running into about a 50% failure rate. I'm pretty sure it's the lids. I've been using the tyvek-lid-ring style. At the same time I've been doing LC's with 100% success, with the same syringe's, so I don't think it's the innoc. technique. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind, my friend, I would like to say that if you are pc'ing jars with tyvek/pollyfill lids/rings for 1-1 1/2 hours at 15 psi, that the tyvek nor the polyfill has anything living on them = you just killed them all, lol. But if you remove those jars from the pc too early, you can cause them to suck in contams(this has happened)into your pollyfill and when you wipe your alcohol soaked papertowel over the needle to clean it, you then push that clean needle straight through a bunch of contams that got sucked into the polyfill as they cooled down.
If your getting contams when using an LC for inoculation, you can actually suck air into your syringe from the rear of the syringe where the plunger is, when you are trying to suck in that big wad of mycelium and you pull a little too hard and just enough air(as in one or two small bubbles)gets in over the plunger, it will happen if you pull too hard.
Just some ideas of where you might be getting contams from.

My two pennies

Doc

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by doc34 (09/05/05 08:51 PM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4624114 - 09/05/05 09:02 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Bird Basics @ PetCo stores = 40 lb bags @ $8 per bag

--------------------

OnlineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Re: Soak WBS for 36 hrs? [Re: doc34]
    #4624630 - 09/06/05 04:27 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thanx for the tips man.

--------------------
qtests.org

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4624670 - 09/06/05 06:13 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Gobblin said:
Hey augustin, what lid style do you use on your wbs jars? I've been doing alot of edible jars and running into about a 50% failure rate. I'm pretty sure it's the lids. I've been using the tyvek-lid-ring style. At the same time I've been doing LC's with 100% success, with the same syringe's, so I don't think it's the innoc. technique. Any suggestions?

I use Tyvek with my jars, but also incorporate the entire lid assembly. I only stuff my drilled hole with poly-fill if I'm going to be inoculating with a needle. I usually do a grain to grain transfer on my WBS, so poly-fill is only used intermittently.

I have never had a problem with my WBS using this method.

Offlinejohnjohnandjamal
Stranger

Re: Soak WBS for 36 hrs? [Re: Wronguy]
    #4624737 - 09/06/05 07:23 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Well...its been 36 hrs. It doesnt smell all that much so Im going to use it. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #4952061 - 11/18/05 02:45 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Good Luck

Doc

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4952092 - 11/18/05 02:55 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The function of soaking any grain, is to allow it to absorb it?s maximum natural capacity of moisture, without germinating the seed, or allowing it to rot.

12 hours works sometimes, 24 hours works, so does 36 hours.

The point of this post is - TIME isn?t all that important.

The amount of moisture absorbed by the grains - IS.

HOW YOU CAN TELL WHEN WBS/GRAINS HAVE ABSORBED MAXIMUM MOISTURE.

As any dry WBS/grain absorbs moisture, it expands in size. When it STOPS expanding, it has absorbed it?s approximate maximum natural moisture capacity. Some grains absorb moisture much faster than others, due to the type, and hardness of their hull, as well as the size of individual grains.

Naturally, mixtures of differing WBS/grains in the same soak container, expand at differing rates. A general rule of thumb is that all dry WBS/grains - as they absorb moisture - expand in size 20 to 30 percent . Then stop, because they are fully hydrated .

WHAT THIS MEANS IS: If you are going to soak WBS/grains to hydrate them.

Fill a container 2/3rds, to ? full of the dry WBS/grain, then add enough water to cover them. Then watch the WBS/grain mixture over time (inspect after 5 or 6 hours). If you only added enough water to just cover the WBS/grains, you will note - as they expand. The WBS/grains will enlarge, pushing itself up above the previous surface water level in the container. Add more water, so the WBS/grains remain submerged (exclusive of floaters).

Once the WBS/grain has completely stopped expanding. It has reached its approximate natural moisture retention capacity. Soaking it longer, does no harm. So long as it doesn?t germinate, begin to badly ferment, or rot.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates