Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDeviate
timothy leary's views on evolution
    #4587393 - 08/27/05 02:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

one thing i've never really understood is where timothy leary actually stood on issues such as evolution. he constantly talks about it in all his works and yet he also believed that psychedelic drugs activated circuits in our brain which were designed for our future evolution off planet earth. as ridiculous as this may sound, i've actually had some experiences which made me understand where he got this idea from (although i dont necessarily believe it). but as i understand it, current evolutionary theory doesn't allow for "future circuits" because it's a blind process. so how did he account for this? did he believe in some other version of evolution that includes a guiding mechanism or something?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: Deviate]
    #4587451 - 08/27/05 03:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've noticed that too, and I think it's a common flaw among people to assume that evolution is a complete upward spiral. From what I can tell, Timothy Leary made that mistake in modeling "future circuits". I also haven't seen any proof that psychedelics would somehow indicate future evolution off the planet. Psychedelics certainly do inspire curiousity about outerspace and so forth, but my four year old niece also dreams of space aliens. :shrug:

I view Leary's model of the brain to be very interesting, but more of a novelty than something to take seriously. Some of the observations in the psychology of people can be very accurate, but it veers off course too often.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #4587469 - 08/27/05 03:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think it comes from Gurdjief, and it is a common theme in many writings throughout the world, i.e. Superhumanity. Have you read all of Leary's books? Exo-Psychology and Intelligence Agents are good places to look for questions you are asking. I think there is even a small excerpt title called Musings on Human Metamorphosis.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineSoulwax
Stranger
Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: mecreateme]
    #4587850 - 08/27/05 05:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

There are more people refusing evolution theory that science follows today. Cause of all sort of reasons like religion or like Leary belief in something that doesn't completely stroke with the theory. They modify the evolution theory to their needs or refuse it. Maybe they don't understand the theory or just don't want to belief it because of those reasons.

I believe that this were things we could use in the past, when we lived in small tribes. But when our society's became bigger and developing of better communication we lost this abilities. Now we don't know how to use them anymore but they are still there in some people or in all people. Maybe it could be useful for us in the future maybe not.

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: Twirling]
    #4587978 - 08/27/05 06:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Twirling said:
I view Leary's model of the brain to be very interesting, but more of a novelty than something to take seriously. Some of the observations in the psychology of people can be very accurate, but it veers off course too often.

Well said :smile:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

OfflineDeviate
Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: Kerr]
    #4588163 - 08/27/05 07:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i don't take it seriously, it's just his ideas. similar to if i got high and wrote down my ideas. however i've always found leary's ideas particularly interesting.

Edited by Deviate (08/27/05 07:36 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4589577 - 08/28/05 01:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

As anyone who has used psychedelics should know, they often make us open to more emotional ideas while we are under their influence. Afterwards one must apply critical thinking to any idea developed while under the influence of a psychedelic. Leary seemed to take the psychedelic thought process as possessing ultimate truth which is a naive notion. One should try to not let their emotions influence their critical thinking.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

Loc: The Trenches of France
Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: Twirling]
    #4590037 - 08/28/05 03:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Timothy Leary made many mistakes during his life...

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

OfflineSketchyTX05
Beginner to theJourney

Loc: Inside my head
Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: Unagipie]
    #4592552 - 08/28/05 11:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

As all of us have and will.

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: SketchyTX05]
    #4593046 - 08/29/05 12:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

truth is stranger than fiction.

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: headset]
    #4593344 - 08/29/05 01:14 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think Timothy Leary ment evolution in a Darwinian sense. He was probably using 'evolution' the same way many transhumanists use it, its a way of saying 'becoming more and better'.

Timothy Leary said a lot of nutty spiritual things, but later in his life said he was only using those nutty spiritual expressions as a metaphor to describe the psychedelic experience. :shrug: I admire him most for his metaprogramming ideas and that crazy 'How to Operate Your Brain' VHS. That thing is damn fun to watch, even sober!

--------------------
PsyPost - Psychedelic Research

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #4593369 - 08/29/05 01:18 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
I don't think Timothy Leary ment evolution in a Darwinian sense.

Im pretty sure that Leary did in fact believe in Darwinistic evolution.

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: it stars saddam]
    #4593390 - 08/29/05 01:21 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I agree.
But, 'evolution' does not always mean Darwinian evolution. I think Timothy Leary was bright enough to know the difference and had enough of a base in science to understand that his 'future circuits' were not part of Darwinian evolution.
Besides, I don't think he never mentions Darwinian evolution of the future circuits.

--------------------
PsyPost - Psychedelic Research

OfflineDeviate
Re: timothy leary's views on evolution [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #4593617 - 08/29/05 01:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

so what theory are the future circuits a part of? why are they there?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology