Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Netanyahu Quits Over Israeli Gaza Pullout
    #4507940 - 08/07/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050807/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians

JERUSALEM - Benjamin Netanyahu stepped down as Israel's finance minister Sunday in a last-minute protest against next week's Gaza pullout, but his stunned Cabinet colleagues pushed ahead and approved the first stage of the withdrawal plan just moments later.

Netanyahu, a hard-liner and former prime minister with ambitions to reclaim the top job, acknowledged Sunday that he will not be able to stop the withdrawal. He said he resigned nonetheless because he fears the pullout will turn Gaza into a "base of Islamic terror" and endanger Israel.

In an immediate response, Israel's stock market dropped 5 percent within an hour. Netanyahu had adopted a pro-business economic policy and cut welfare benefits in more than two years as finance minister. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, trying to limit damage to the economy, announced he would stick to that approach.

The resignation could also force early elections; for now, the vote is set for November 2006. Netanyahu enjoys strong support in the ruling Likud Party, which largely opposes the pullout, and could try to wrest Likud leadership from Sharon in coming months as a step toward running for prime minister.

The 55-year-old Netanyahu had given no indication that he would resign, despite his zigzagging over the Gaza pullout in recent months. The weekly Cabinet meeting was already under way for several hours Sunday, with ministers about to give final approval to the first stage of the withdrawal plan ? the dismantling of the isolated Gaza settlements of Morag, Kfar Darom and Netzarim.

When it was Netanyahu's turn to speak, he got up from his seat instead and placed a note on the table that he should be counted among those voting "no," said Housing Minister Yitzhak Herzog of the centrist Labor Party.

Netanyahu then gave Sharon the letter of resignation. When Cabinet Minister Tzachi Hanegbi of Likud asked Netanyahu for an explanation, the finance minister said it could be found in the letter, Herzog said.

"It was very dramatic in there," said Cabinet minister Matan Vilnai of Labor. Vilnai said Sharon did not react.

Shortly after Netanyahu left, the ministers voted 17-5 to approve the dismantling of the first three settlements. Netanyahu's note was counted as a "no" vote. In all, some 9,000 settlers will be removed from their homes in 25 settlements ? 21 in Gaza and four in the northern West Bank.

Netanyahu later told a news conference he was conflicted because he had hoped to continue guiding economic policy, but could not lend his support to the pullout plan. "I cannot stop this (the pullout), but I can be at peace with myself," he said.

His decision increased pressure on several other Likud hard-liners in the Cabinet to step down. However, the most senior minister in that group, Education Minister Limor Livnat, said she did not plan to resign.

Jewish settler leaders had long hoped the charismatic Netanyahu would quit the government and lead their struggle against the Gaza pullout. They praised Netanyahu's decision, but Eran Sternberg, spokesman for the Gaza settlers, said it came "far too late."

Sunday's Cabinet vote was largely a formality, since the government has repeatedly approved the overall withdrawal.

An aide to Sharon, Raanan Gissin, said the resignation would not affect the timetable of the pullout.

Sharon tried reassure jittery investors Sunday, saying Israel would not change its economic policy. He told Bank of Israel Governor Stanley Fischer that the upcoming state budget will meet deficit and expenditure targets that were set by the government, the prime minister's office said in a statement.

Sharon said he would appoint his close confidant, Vice Premier Ehud Olmert, as acting finance minister. Like Netanyahu, Olmert is seen as pro-business. In a statement, Sharon said current policy would continue.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Netanyahu Quits Over Israeli Gaza Pullout [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4507963 - 08/07/05 06:36 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Good, less hard-liners, the better.

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Netanyahu Quits Over Israeli Gaza Pullout [Re: Redstorm]
    #4507972 - 08/07/05 06:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I never was a big fan of zionists.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Netanyahu Quits Over Israeli Gaza Pullout [Re: bukkake]
    #4508098 - 08/07/05 07:16 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Me neither.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4508258 - 08/07/05 08:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bukkake said:

bellylard said:
The US should attack Israel.

bukkake said:
I agree. And not make any public comments about the invasion until after the US has full control of the country. That'll really stump them for a few days.

Clearly, Adolph

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Netanyahu Quits Over Israeli Gaza Pullout [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4508273 - 08/07/05 08:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

There certainly is some reason behind practically every society for the past 3000 years hating the Jews.

Invisiblebukkake
Male

#4509124 - 08/08/05 12:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

bukkake said:

bellylard said:
The US should attack Israel.

bukkake said:
I agree. And not make any public comments about the invasion until after the US has full control of the country. That'll really stump them for a few days.

Clearly, Adolph

Oh. Sorry. Yes! Let's machine gun down more Palestinians! USA USA USA. GO ISRAEL. PUMP ENDLESS FUNDS INTO ISRAEL. FUCK THE US HOMELESS. WHOO.

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Re: Netanyahu Quits Over Israeli Gaza Pullout [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4509433 - 08/08/05 01:50 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"Helping the Arabs get what they want will cause more terrorism" We'll see how this line of thought pans out. If it's true, then it's clear that they do just hate us for being different than them, if it's not, maybe the US could learn a lesson...

but i doubt it.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Netanyahu Quits Over Israeli Gaza Pullout [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #4511441 - 08/08/05 06:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'll tell you what, letting these hapless neanderthals govern themselves is brilliant. They will fail miserably, just like every other Arab shithole without oil has.. Feckless, incompetent turds. My hundred to your fifty that in 3 years the average per capita income (adjusted for inflation) in Gaza will be LESS than it is now.

--------------------

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
Re: Netanyahu Quits Over Israeli Gaza Pullout [Re: newuser1492]
    #4514278 - 08/09/05 12:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

People distrust what they can't be a part of. Jews don't recruit.

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Re: Netanyahu Quits Over Israeli Gaza Pullout [Re: EonTan]
    #4514443 - 08/09/05 01:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The US should just bomb the shit out of Israel. Israel is a rogue nation and illegally has an estimated 100 nuclear warheads.

It's ridiculous how sensitive US politicians are to the subject of Israel. Anyone who suggests decreased Israel funding is called an anti-semite. Much like I was above.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#4514665 - 08/09/05 02:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

But that's because you are. You have suggested far more than decreased funding.
Quote:

cumdrenched said:
bomb the shit out of Israel.

And this would be because of all the numerous attacks they have launched against the US and it's allies. Welcome back Zahid

--------------------

Invisiblebukkake
Male

#4514719 - 08/09/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No, really. Why not? They have WMD's and commit many human rights violations. Constantly trample UN resolutions. Wasn't that the same reason we were fed for invading Iraq? They didn't launch any attacks against the US or it's allies either.

I can tell this is a very sensitive subject for you, judging by your alteration of my name and calling me an Islamist. But you can feel free to correct anything above.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#4515016 - 08/09/05 04:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Kuwait is a US ally, Adolph. There is no serious debate outside the Jew-hating community that Israel commits any more human rights violations than France, for instance. Trample UN resolutions???? You're a funny boy.

--------------------

Invisiblebukkake
Male

#4515147 - 08/09/05 04:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Adolf? I have no more against Jews than I do against Muslims or Christians. I dislike the state of Israel. You know, the country? Saddam was a threat to no one after the Gulf War, when he was destroyed.

Nevermind. UN resolutions passed condemning Israel for running over Palestinian children with tanks and demolishing civilian homes all must be fabricated. That, or I've just never heard the recent stories of France doing the same. Perhaps you can provide me with a few. I won't be an anti-semite(as you insist) anymore and just grasp the fact that all civilized countries do this.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#4515227 - 08/09/05 05:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Please provide links to any of the assertions you make in regard to tanks squishing children or civilian houses being bulldozed. Note the particular reiteration of civilian. A bomb factory is no longer a civilian house, nor is any domicile that is used to harbor combatants. Recent French horrors? The occupations of Tunisia, Algiers and Mali and the disgraceful degree to which the Vichy government collaborated with Nazis are well documented. As to the assinine resolutions condemning Israel for defending itself, they were rescinded, largely due to the efforts of one John Bolton. Any organization that would put Libya and Syria on it's Human Rights Commission is deeply suspect anyway.

Saddass was not destroyed. In fact, the fuck still breathes.

--------------------

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4515684 - 08/09/05 07:53 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
I'll tell you what, letting these hapless neanderthals govern themselves is brilliant. They will fail miserably, just like every other Arab shithole without oil has.. Feckless, incompetent turds. My hundred to your fifty that in 3 years the average per capita income (adjusted for inflation) in Gaza will be LESS than it is now.

I'm sure it will. However, if these people will live in conditions like that and be satiated (re: They aren't crashing planes into buildings et al), I'm OK with it. If they prefer living like animals in some tribalistic primative government system, thats their decision. Their integration to a democratic capitalist society in which a free exchange of ideas is fostered would be fantastic, but it's not mandatory for us to give them their land back.

All of that is, of course, contingent upon their cease-fire and crack-down on terrorists in their nation.

Netanyahu is a dick. I prefer Matisyahu any day.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4515823 - 08/09/05 08:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Please provide links to any of the assertions you make in regard to tanks squishing children or civilian houses being bulldozed. Note the particular reiteration of civilian. A bomb factory is no longer a civilian house, nor is any domicile that is used to harbor combatants. Recent French horrors? The occupations of Tunisia, Algiers and Mali and the disgraceful degree to which the Vichy government collaborated with Nazis are well documented. As to the assinine resolutions condemning Israel for defending itself, they were rescinded, largely due to the efforts of one John Bolton. Any organization that would put Libya and Syria on it's Human Rights Commission is deeply suspect anyway.
Saddass was not destroyed. In fact, the fuck still breathes.

Now how about some recent examples of French atorcities?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Netanyahu Quits Over Israeli Gaza Pullout [Re: Redstorm]
    #4518511 - 08/10/05 02:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Recent enough for me. I don't have the MTV attention span and it's not ancient history to me. Nice job they did in Vietnam and Cambodia too.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4518680 - 08/10/05 03:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Since you want French atrocities.

The French imperialism in Vietnam wasn't a noble goal of ridding a murdering dictator from power, or stopping the spread of a violent ideology upon a weak populous.

Nope, it was clearly for drugs and money. They made bargaining tools with local guerrillas for their opium crop and suppressed any uprising from the populous that wanted independence. The French generals would set-up base deep in the jungle so they could protect their opium crop and use the drug guerrillas as allies in defeating the Vietnamese independence league.

How fucking noble of our peace-loving friends over in Europe.

Oh, it goes without saying they got their asses kicked. The battle of Dien Bien Phu was over opium and repressing Vietnamese freedom movements.

Peaceniks, continue your worship of the hypocrisy that is eurotrash.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]