Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Israel to liquidate Hamas.
    #1848254 - 08/25/03 02:26 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

GAZA CITY, Gaza ? The militant group Hamas (search) threatened revenge Monday after Israel killed four of its members in a missile strike and declared anyone in the group a target for "liquidation."

Aishtawi and another Hamas member. One speaker warned Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon "to prepare coffins."

"We are on the way, and we say to him that your assassinations will only bring death and destruction to your people in their own homes," the man said. Pointing a rifle toward the two bodies, he added: "All of us wish to be in their places."

The crowd carried green Hamas banners, but Hamas leaders stayed away.

Israel has stepped up army sweeps through West Banks towns following the Hamas homicide bombing last week. Troops have been searching house-to-house for fugitives and weapons, sparking clashes. Dozens of tanks and armored vehicles also have gathered along the Gaza border, apparently ready for an order to raid the coastal strip.

An Israeli helicopter rocket attack killed senior Hamas political leader Ismail Abu Shanab in Gaza City on Thursday, and militant groups called off a unilateral two-month cease-fire. Israeli army chief Lt. Gen. Moshe Yaalon declared Sunday that "every member of Hamas is a potential target for liquidation."

In the last three years of fighting, Israel has killed scores of wanted militants. Hamas and other militant groups called off a two-month cease-fire after Abu Shanab's killing.

Meanwhile, police and soldiers removed some 50 Jewish settlers and a trailer from a site in the West Bank city of Hebron, police said. Five settlers who refused to go were arrested, police said.

Since November, when an Islamic Jihad ambush in the area killed 12 security guards and soldiers, settlers repeatedly have tried to set up an illegal outpost.

Under intense U.S. pressure to keep commitments under the "road map" peace plan, Israel has dismantled several West Bank outposts but has failed to freeze construction at established settlements or remove dozens of other illegal outposts.

Sounds like a full scale war could be brewing in Israel. It seems to me that Arafat wants this to happen. He is impeding Abbas attempts to get their security forces together to go after Hamas. The Israelis are not going to wait for them to figure it out, and I don't blame them a bit.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewingnutx
Re: Israel to liquidate Hamas. [Re: shakta]
    #1848261 - 08/25/03 02:28 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Their campaign of killing one or two here and there is not working.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Israel to liquidate Hamas. [Re: wingnutx]
    #1848271 - 08/25/03 02:32 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

The Israeli's need to stage a major lightening strike and get them all at once.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1848272 - 08/25/03 02:32 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

I know. I believe we will see a full scale push by the Israelis soon. It would not surprise me if Lebanon becomes part of it as well. This could get real ugly, real quick. I think the only solution for their problem is for someone to win. There will be no peace there until someone wins the battle, and someone loses.

Anonymous

Re: Israel to liquidate Hamas. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1848278 - 08/25/03 02:35 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

I see another culture=history thing here as well.

Will these groups ever get along?

I hope no one here is that idealistic.

Anonymous

#1848280 - 08/25/03 02:36 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Define "winning" and "losing".

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Israel to liquidate Hamas. [Re: ]
    #1848288 - 08/25/03 02:39 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Winning = killing all of those that want to kill you.
Losing = being killed until you are all dead, or give up.

I just don't see a peaceful end to this conflict. As long as groups like Hamas are part of it, there will never be peace in the region. I am not saying the Israelis will have to kill all of the Palestinians. I think after they 'liquidate' groups like Hamas, the rest of the Pastinian people will be able to work out their differences with the Israelis, and come to an agreement. This assumes that their are Palestinians that are not willing to die to save the likes of Hamas.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1848295 - 08/25/03 02:42 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Will these groups ever get along?

I think so, but not until the militant groups are killed off.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

#1848324 - 08/25/03 02:53 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

That sounds reasonable to me.

I also think there will never be peace in that region. After 2,000 years of conflict I think that has been established beyond a reasonable doubt.

Offlinewingnutx
    #1848350 - 08/25/03 03:01 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

I think the wall they are working on is a good interim step.

Too bad, because the Palestinians were starting to do pretty good before the intifada kicked in 3 years ago. They killed their golden goose, and no Arab state is going to step in to replace it.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1848362 - 08/25/03 03:04 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

I think their will be peace, it will just be a forced peace. I just hope none of the Arab countries try to get involved. If they do, we might have to. Of course Israel can handle quite a bit on their own with what they have.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1848573 - 08/25/03 04:24 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

I think so, but not until the militant groups are killed off.

I agree. I'm sure most people in the region just want decent lives for themselves and their families. And they could have gotten it 20 years ago if the rest of the arab world had been as evolved as Anwar Sadat. But the fact that a purely destructive force like Yasser Arafat is still around after 45 years as a terrorist leader does not inspire hope. How often do they switch leaders in Al Fatah?

Offlinewingnutx
Re: Israel to liquidate Hamas. [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1848581 - 08/25/03 04:26 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Sadat's assassination was the mother of all blown chances. He could have been another Ataturk.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1848594 - 08/25/03 04:29 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

I will say it again, as I have 100 times before. If I was Sharon, I would blow that fat bastard Arafat to pieces. This guy invented the airplane hijacking for christ sakes!

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1849657 - 08/25/03 10:31 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

No, they wont.. because its isnt just militants and extremists. It's religion and people and culture. Ehud Barak offered Arafat and the PLO 97% of the West bank, soverignty over the temple mount and more and still no deal. See, the average american just does not understand that a great majority of palestinans and muslims in general dont give a rats ass about the land, they believe that the jews should be gone from the face of the earth, the land is just a political device.

Of course it is my belief that peace will never happen, because in order for palestine to accept peace the Jews would no longer control jerusalem and that, my friends, will never happen again.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1849697 - 08/25/03 10:43 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

I also think there will never be peace in that region. After 2,000 years of conflict I think that has been established beyond a reasonable doubt.

C'mon,man.I expect a smart guy like you to know better than that.This conflict is little more than 50 years old.Of course there have always been little skirmishes between each other,but that happens with every society. Historically, the majority of the fighting has been between Christians and Muslims,not the Jews (ya know,the crusades and all).

I don't see how you righties can honestly look at this conflict in an open,balanced manner and still side with the Israelis. If it's anybody,they are in the wrong,but I think both sides are equally fucked up.

And contrary to what you see on the news,it's usually a couple extremists on both sides that fuck it up for everyone.People just jump to their sides when the major shit goes down. Talk to anybody on this board from that region who is in to the drug culture and they'll tell you that there is a huge rave scene there were Muslims and Jews get together without any anomosity whatsoever.It's a very beautiful thing.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Israel to liquidate Hamas. [Re: monoamine]
    #1849810 - 08/25/03 11:16 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Israel didnt become a state till 48... so yeah, technically this reincarnation of animosity is 55 years old. However, the fight between muslim and jewish beliefs is definately not only 55 years old, silly. It dates back to Esau and Mohammed and Jesus. When the religion was born, the Jews controlled Mecca, not the Gentiles. Hello, battle of badr. 622.. after mohammed has his "Night of power" .. how about the soon following battles at Ditch and Uhud.. the killing of a thousand jewish captives, 630 capture of mecca, 634 invasion of Jerusalem?... etc, etc?

--------------------

Edited by PsiloKitten (08/25/03 11:18 PM)

Offlinewingnutx
Re: Israel to liquidate Hamas. [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1849852 - 08/25/03 11:27 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

I am afraid that you are correct.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1849857 - 08/25/03 11:29 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
The Israeli's need to stage a major lightening strike and get them all at once.

of course, after all of "them" are killed, there won't be any of "them" left.

good thinking.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1849869 - 08/25/03 11:33 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Winning = killing all of those that want to kill you.
Losing = being killed until you are all dead, or give up.

simple as that folks.  :lol:

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Scales

General Interest >> Political Discussion