Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepatchwork
Cake-eatingDandy

Loc: The Hall of Mirrors
Multispore inoculation to LC--is that myc all of the same genetic line?
    #4345124 - 06/27/05 10:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I mean, if you shot up some grain jars from a syringe of LC that was sucked from a multispore inoculated, is all of that mycelium the same?  So, if you spawned those grain jars to poo casings, and took clones of the fruits from the various casings, would you just be doing a lot of work to get the same genetic material from each fruit? 
  Gratsie. :grin:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: Multispore inoculation to LC--is that myc all of the same genetic line? [Re: patchwork]
    #4345155 - 06/27/05 10:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

over time, when the mycelium has been growing bvut no fruits have been produced to continue the generation, the genetics get worse, and the myc will fruit less, or yield smaller fruits, or colonize slower, etc.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Invisiblepatchwork
Cake-eatingDandy

Re: Multispore inoculation to LC--is that myc all of the same genetic line? [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4345169 - 06/27/05 10:30 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I understand that part, thanks.  :laugh:

I'm just wondering if the mycelium in the LC jar is all from the same 2 spores hooking up or what?  Is it a jazz festival of myc. colonies in there or is it just a big blob of the same?

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Multispore inoculation to LC--is that myc all of the same genetic line? [Re: patchwork]
    #4345324 - 06/27/05 11:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

not sure what the hell you are asking here but lets say you put some spores to agar and transfered straong sectors 3+ times and grew that out. That would not be as good as using a multispore syringe or lc and picking the best looking shroom and cloning it. A shroom is an isolate, cloning it will give clones. Getting to this point with spores and agar take awhile

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
Re: Multispore inoculation to LC--is that myc all of the same genetic line? [Re: tahoe]
    #4345362 - 06/27/05 11:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Here's what he is asking:

We can assume there will be more than one pair of spores that will germinate. Now despite these spores all being from the same strain and possibly the same mushroom, each set of spores will have slightly different traits. Think of your brothers and/or sisters (if you have any), your parents are the same but different traits are recessive or dominant between you.

He is asking if ultimately one of the mycelium "brothers" or "sisters" (actually unisex but you get what i mean) wins out and dominates the culture or if they are all intertwined, growing amoungst eachother

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

Invisiblepatchwork
Cake-eatingDandy

Re: Multispore inoculation to LC--is that myc all of the same genetic line? [Re: lardnar]
    #4345373 - 06/27/05 11:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I had thought that the mycelial mass of a given casing was all the same genetic material and the fruitbodies were just an extension of that same genetic make-up.  So, two fruitbodies from a given casing should clone the same genetics? 

Can someone clear this up?  I was reading up on cloning in the archives and I thought that cloning the tissue from a fruitbody wouldn't produce an exact copy of that fruitbody, but would just clone the genetics of the mycelial network of the casing. 

:confused:

--------------------

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
    #4345385 - 06/27/05 11:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I could be wrong

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Multispore inoculation to LC--is that myc all of the same genetic line? [Re: lardnar]
    #4345466 - 06/28/05 12:13 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

2 frutibodies will only be the same if you did some mad isolation on agar and or the fruits were right next to each other on the casing.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Loc: By the Tum-Tum tree, in u...
    #4345517 - 06/28/05 12:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Anytime you use a multispore inoculation you will have "a jazz festival of myc. colonies".

If you do a multispore to grain, then spawn to a bulk substrate, you will have "a jazz festival of myc. colonies" which will produce mushrooms with varying characteristics and different genetics.

If you take a tissue sample from ONE mushroom and grow it out on agar or in liquid culture, you should have a mycelial mass with identical genetics throughout. This should produce mushrooms with very similar characteristics, environmental factors not withstanding.

IF it is possible for genetically identical mycelium cells to somehow exchange genetic material, it is possible to get genetically distinct strains. But I don't know if this is possible.

Random mutations also occur, making life interesting.

Leimana

Invisiblepatchwork
Cake-eatingDandy

Re: Multispore inoculation to LC--is that myc all of the same genetic line? [Re: Leimana]
    #4345550 - 06/28/05 12:33 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

:bow:

Thank you for clearing that up.  :laugh:

So, should the substrate, colonizing, and fruiting conditions be relatively equal, cloning a given good-sized fruitbody into LC would produce a better yield than the mycelium from the original (mixed jazzfest mycelium)? 

Cheers, sir.  :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Loc: By the Tum-Tum tree, in u...
    #4345734 - 06/28/05 01:21 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

So, should the substrate, colonizing, and fruiting conditions be relatively equal, cloning a given good-sized fruit body into LC would produce a better yield than the mycelium from the original (mixed jazzfest mycelium)?

It will give you a yield of relatively consistent fruit bodies. Whether that constitutes "better" depends on the beholder.

Check out Workman's topics on various Panaeolus and Psilocybe species over in Advanced Mycology. When he does multispore, he will select several fruit bodies with differing characteristics for "future work". The largest fruit bodies aren't necessarily the most aggressive growers, best spore producers, etc., and working with several genetic lines gives him the chance to evaluate these other, less obvious characteristics.

Leimana

Invisiblepatchwork
Cake-eatingDandy

Re: Multispore inoculation to LC--is that myc all of the same genetic line? [Re: Leimana]
    #4345745 - 06/28/05 01:24 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks.  :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4347013 - 06/28/05 02:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have learned more from this post than any post ive ever read... thankyou..

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Multispore inoculation to LC--is that myc all of the same genetic line? [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4347283 - 06/28/05 03:44 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

anytime

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract