Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
Spirit Realm VS Material World
    #4202301 - 05/21/05 02:42 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Is it sanely possible to be bouncing back and forth between realities?

In the metaphysical world of spirit guides, shamans, enlightenment, and everlasting love and internal revelation of God..there is a whole diffrent mentality base, as compared to working in a corporation, spending and earning money (earning a living) are two very different lives to lead.

Yet, practicioners do work, pay rent, gossip, and let their egos take hold.  Is Shamanism like American Christianity?  Its ok to be in touch with Self and God only on "Sundays" ?

I find it very difficult to be caught up in the Tree of Dreams, and spirit world, while polluting my life with doing dishes at a Greek Restaurant :frown:  I cannot, or at least find it difficult to work in such mindless uncreative conditions during my lessons and awakening.  I believe awakenings are consistent, and I cannot imagine doing this battle for the rest of my life.

No weekend retreat, summer monestary, or occasional drum circle is filling my need for guidance.  There is a need to completely seperate myself from the evils of this American Dream.

How do you feel?  Can you operate successfully in brainwashing university programs, stock markets, and other hooplah during awakening dreams, lessons, and the metaphysical world.

Supposedly people do it everyday, but I personally cannot do that anymore.  I have been delaying my art projects, independent research, and teacher discussions do to the "real world".

the only way to learn is through experience, and if we are forced to keep our minds busy with cashiering, waitressing, ticket taking, paint line factories, and television...then when are we ever going to find time to wake up?  After work?

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Love is like a train...
Female

Re: Spirit Realm VS Material World [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #4202310 - 05/21/05 02:46 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

In addition, I recently left my dishwashing job, and am gearin up for some spiritual investigation of Self.  About damned time.  I have been detatched from myself...due to the recent happenings in my personal life.

Time for an everlasting timeout :smile:

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
    #4202359 - 05/21/05 03:05 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you pretty much summed up my exact thoughts on the subject.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: Spirit Realm VS Material World [Re: Vulture]
    #4202368 - 05/21/05 03:08 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

If i ever run into an abundance of cash, or get a land donation in shaman honor, then i will invite all to retreat indefinitely to the land for awakening. At no cost of course.

--------------------

Love is like a train...
Female

#4202371 - 05/21/05 03:08 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I think Ill start a thread about it. heh

--------------------

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #4202438 - 05/21/05 03:39 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

how about doing both at the same time, doing mindless uncreative work, and soul search at the same time.
when ever i find myself in a uncreative activity my body is like on automatic but mind is still soul searching.

i guess its about finding a balance between the 2, after five years of soul searching or more i have found that one needs a break or gets caught up in it all and miss out on life, since having a break off of searching i feel better than ever before, actually living life instead of contemplating about everything.

remember even though we may do boring things or things that we don't want its still all a learning experience, maybe it just something we have to go through to expand.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Offlinejcldragon
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Spirit Realm VS Material World [Re: spudamore]
    #4202582 - 05/21/05 05:50 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I've worked as a dishwasher, & looked at it as an exercise in Karma Yoga. That attitude allowed me to actually enjoy the job for the most part. The dishwasher is sort of insulated from most of what is going on in a restaurant. Generally, you can have your own background music, & usually people only talk with you, when they are running low on something. If you are organized about how you do the work, even that doesn't happen often. Stopping the dishwasher from doing their work in peace, only creates a backlog of what needs to be done, and nobody wants that.

The way I had it worked out, 90% of my conversation at work, was people dropping by to tell me a quick joke. The system I created, was based upon getting the busboys & waitresses to stack same size dish in same size pile. That way, I could grab a large stack of one thing, and run it through the machine in one tray, which also made it real easy to put away. I also had a bustray specificly for the dirty bowls (since they won't stack). The result was that I could do two heavy shifts of work in merely one shift, without actually working any harder. I was golden at that place, and eventually was making as much an hour as a cook.

So the Key is not what you are doing, as much as your attitude about it...

--------------------
The Soul exists simultaneously throughout all of Time.
The Ego merely exists now.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Spirit Realm VS Material World [Re: jcldragon]
    #4202600 - 05/21/05 06:07 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

jcldragon said:

:thumbup:  :smile:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4202817 - 05/21/05 09:14 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I hear you! I used to wonder all the same things. It all seemed so hypocritical of me.

But something I read from the Castanada books helps me understand it better. When Carlos asked Don Jaun if he should leave L.A. and move to the desert and be a Shaman there because he didn't see how it could be done in the civilized world. Don Jaun said " that is your hunting ground, and your world, all your work is there" Check out his concept of Controlled folly. Once you understand that you will know how to proceed.  This material world must be overcome like that ally must be tackled. Don Jaun said the path of a warrior is struggle. Each and every thing is a challenge and as a warrior goes to knowledge as one goes to war, he laughs and laughs.

Can you tell thats one of favs. :grin: Sorry if it isn't yours but you get the picture.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #4202884 - 05/21/05 09:54 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you know, when I first came to this planet, I had a real hard time figuring it out.

'who are these people? and why do they play these pointless games? Why do they hurt eachother? Why do they keep telling eachother what to do? Why do they prize things which ultimately have no importance?'

then one day I realized: 'OH!! Its a piece of shit! Satan squatted, let out a load: piece of shit, satan's shit... NOW WALK AWAY!'

happiness is not in this world. better look for it within you.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4203431 - 05/21/05 12:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Why do you assume them to be separate?

--------------------

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: Spirit Realm VS Material World [Re: spudamore]
    #4203702 - 05/21/05 02:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

spudamore said:
how about doing both at the same time, doing mindless uncreative work, and soul search at the same time.
when ever i find myself in a uncreative activity my body is like on automatic but mind is still soul searching.

remember even though we may do boring things or things that we don't want its still all a learning experience, maybe it just something we have to go through to expand.

This is all understandable and well taken on my part, except for the fact that I have been involved in this boring mindless work for over 7 months now...

This job has kept me stuck in Florida, made me miss the most last crucial moments in my mothers life...and has taught me that I wil not succumb to this way of life. Working for money, spending money, paying unneccesary bills, etc. this is not the life I would like to lead. And being an American, lol, I have that choice.

I know I dont want to be working for the man. I wanna work for myself. No matter how hard it gets. Im prepared for my journey into myself without the worldly distractions of others.

--------------------

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: Spirit Realm VS Material World [Re: jcldragon]
    #4203719 - 05/21/05 02:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

jcldragon said:
I've worked as a dishwasher, & looked at it as an exercise in Karma Yoga. That attitude allowed me to actually enjoy the job for the most part. The dishwasher is sort of insulated from most of what is going on in a restaurant. Generally, you can have your own background music, & usually people only talk with you, when they are running low on something. If you are organized about how you do the work, even that doesn't happen often. Stopping the dishwasher from doing their work in peace, only creates a backlog of what needs to be done, and nobody wants that.

The way I had it worked out, 90% of my conversation at work, was people dropping by to tell me a quick joke. The system I created, was based upon getting the busboys & waitresses to stack same size dish in same size pile. That way, I could grab a large stack of one thing, and run it through the machine in one tray, which also made it real easy to put away. I also had a bustray specificly for the dirty bowls (since they won't stack). The result was that I could do two heavy shifts of work in merely one shift, without actually working any harder. I was golden at that place, and eventually was making as much an hour as a cook.

My attitude about this job in particular is basically optimistic.  The people that I worked with were great, loving funny individuals.  Never too bossy, etc.  The problem is, it is keeping me stuck...in a sense.  Thats all.

I know ALL about that organization shit.  Considering I am the one who does the organizing.  Not only do I help bus tables, cause there are no bussers, I organize the damned things cause the waitreses are too fuckin lazy to do it themselves.  Correct, the dishwasher runs the bitch in a restaurant.  Not only do I open and close each day cause I was the only one, but I unloaded all the trucks, did all the prep, cooked on many occasions, swepted, mopped, delivered, run errands, its just too stressful really.  But the people were great, so i stayed.  It was family owned and I am now very close with the family, considering here in Florida I didnt have any of my own, really.

I cannot feel sorry for this business any longer, and I hate to leave cause they need the help, but I cant keep doing this to myself.  Working over 40 hours a week and only getting paid 6.25 is not what its all about.

in order to do my spiritual work, I am going to need basically complete seclusion.  And I am well prepared.  :smile:

--------------------

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: Spirit Realm VS Material World [Re: Icelander]
    #4203727 - 05/21/05 02:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
I hear you! I used to wonder all the same things. It all seemed so hypocritical of me.

But something I read from the Castanada books helps me understand it better. When Carlos asked Don Jaun if he should leave L.A. and move to the desert and be a Shaman there because he didn't see how it could be done in the civilized world. Don Jaun said " that is your hunting ground, and your world, all your work is there" Check out his concept of Controlled folly. Once you understand that you will know how to proceed.  This material world must be overcome like that ally must be tackled. Don Jaun said the path of a warrior is struggle. Each and every thing is a challenge and as a warrior goes to knowledge as one goes to war, he laughs and laughs.

Can you tell thats one of favs. :grin: Sorry if it isn't yours but you get the picture.

I havent dove into that series as much as i would like too, but respected work indefinitely.

I am glad you posted this.  Thank you.  Agreed :smile:

--------------------

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: Spirit Realm VS Material World [Re: DoctorJ]
    #4203732 - 05/21/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
happiness is not in this world.  better look for it within you.

Very much agreed.  I have just realized recently that it is hard for me to look within myself through all the worldly pollution, as I am sure you understand.  thats why I am leaving, on a spiritual journey...once again :smile:

--------------------

Love is like a train...
Female

Re: Spirit Realm VS Material World [Re: Silversoul]
    #4203742 - 05/21/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Why do you assume them to be separate?

They are seperate to me completely. I havent found the link to self exploration and inner peace through spending and earning money and letting the ego take hold. The ego is da debil! Dont you see? heh.

I cannot access my spirit animals in this dream while getting wrapped up in all the bullshit. That is why I assume them to be seperate!

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4203753 - 05/21/05 02:41 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You have an ego for a reason. It is as much a part of nature as anything else. It's true that getting too wrapped up in the ego can be bad, but I think the same is true of the spirit. That's why I choose the Middle Way.

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #4203844 - 05/21/05 03:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm going to post some passages from the Bhagavad Gita which I think are relavent... as I just happened to be reading it earlier today. :smile:

"Look to your own duty;
do not tremble before it;
nothing is better for a warrior
than a battle of sacred duty."

"Understanding is defined in terms of philosophy;
now hear it in spiritual discipline.
Armed with this understanding,
you will escape the bondage of action."

"No effort in this world
is lost or wasted;
a fragment of sacred duty
saves you from great fear."

"A man of inner strength
whose senses experience objects
without attraction and hatred,
in self-control, finds serenity."

"A man cannot escape the force
of action by abstaining from actions;
he does not attain success
just by renunciation."

"Perform necessary action;
it is more powerful than inaction;
without action you even fail
to sustain your own body."

"Action imprisons the world
unless it is done as sacrifice;
freed from attachment,
perform action as sacrifice!"

"Always perform with detachment
any action you must do;
performing action with detachment,
one achieves supreme good."

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Spirit Realm VS Material World [Re: Adamist]
    #4203852 - 05/21/05 03:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Now I don't think having a "job" necessarily equates to "sacred duty"... but there are parallels... if you had a child, for example, it would be part of your sacred duty to give care and support to this child.
If that means being a dishwasher for 18 years, well...
be the best fucking dishwasher you can be. :laugh:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4204078 - 05/21/05 04:00 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Benedict Spinoza ground lenses, Jacob Boehme was a cobbler, Paul of Tarsus made tents, Mohandas Gandhi spun thread, Francis of Assisi fought as a soldier in the Crusades, Mother Teresa fed multitudes of diseased people in Calcutta, Albert Schweitzer, a Doctor of theology, returned to school to become a physician to better help African natives. He wrote excellent books on the historical Jesus, and on Paul's mysticism. Pierre Teilhard de Chardin was a paleontologist and a Catholic priest. Richard Alpert (AKA Baba Ram Dass) was a Harvard professor.

What kind of work are you destined to do? What does the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) have to say about the majority of individuals who share your type? "Right Livelihood" is one of the Eightfold Path in Buddhism, and this recognized that certain types of work are commensurate with a spiritual life while others are not. One cannot, for example, become a Donald Trump wannabe and simultaneously live for GOD - for moment-to-moment awareness of the Eternal Now. A mercenary soldier, an assassin, politicians, lawyers (for the most part), and all others whose personalities are characterized by the first three chakras as described by Hindu Yoga - the respective foci on survival, sex and power - are not going to pursue spiritual attainment, and neither would those who pursue spiritual attainment select livelihoods that are inimical to such a life.

I washed dishes for exactly one day. I was such a space cadet, I agreed to be paid in food! I was a skinny kid who could care less about food. I quit and they phoned me to say they'd actually pay me in money! I left college for a semester and worked in a factory and as a janitor. After college I drove a truck and stocked shelves til I went into seminary. I helped move my family's hardware business before grad school, and worked in that business in various capacities summers during high school and college. I was a grad assistant and a drug counselor, then full time drug counselor, an independent clinician, then a substance abuse specialist and adolescent counselor with a part time private psychotherapy and hypnotherapy practice. I've taught college and grad school part time as well. As I grew spiritually, the seemingly unrelated jobs were jobs that didn't relate intellectually, but any work can be seen as Karma Yoga. 'Do what you do, but dedicate the fruits of your work to ME,' says the Bhagavad Gita. Your action in the world can provide ample time for inner work simultaneously. Read some of Ram Dass' stuff on dishwashing - he brings out the ISNESS of washing a pot so nicely it seems exciting!

Because I'm much more suited typologically to Jnana Yoga (Yoga of Knowledge), my destiny was to find myself in working situations where I could employ my intellect and communication skills as a clinical counselor. My deep values inform me every step of the way, and I am fortunate enough to practice Compassion for a living. But, if I wanted to become famous, or create a huge counseling franchise or become a TV therapist, and lots of 3rd chakra motivations filled me, then even if I wrote great books, my inner life would be ill-effected. Chogyam Trungpa wrote great books, but he was a womanizer and a drunk and made elaborate rationalizations about it all. I met Thomas Moore ('Care of the Soul') at the beginning of his fame and asked him to autograph my book. There were only 4 or 5 people standing there. He was an arrogant prick "I'm not signing books tonight." The outer looks good in these cases, but the inner is impoverished and it shows dramatically (as when Trungpa hit on my friend's wife at the Naropa Institute).

We wake up in every moment or we do not. The outer circumstances simply provide the training ground, or in another Gita metaphor, the battle ground upon which this struggle to transcend the world yet be in the world ensues. The Christian version is 'Be in the world, but not of the world.' Why not read Ram Dass' book The Only Dance There Is?

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom