Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]
Tolerance
    #4193340 -

I see tolerance promoted here a lot. Is tolerance really a good thing? On the show "South Park" tolerance was described as putting up with something that totally pisses you off. Recently I have been told that I should tolerate people who sexually molest children. My vocal intolerance of this idea was hailed as uncool and unenlightened. I think too much tolerance for the wrong things can be a very bad thing.


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4193390 -

Tolerance of peaceful behavior is one thing, tolerance of those who would harm others is in fact cowardice.


--------------------
Respect my authority!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Adviapacis]
    #4193443 -

I agree.  :thumbup:


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Adviapacis]
    #4193463 -

Would the buddha hire a child molester to babysit his children? The answer of course, is yes.

tolerance of those who would harm others is in fact cowardice.

Actually no, it's not at all. It takes a lot of guts to rent the room upstairs to a known axe murderer. Tolerating a rattlesnake in your bed at night is the opposite of cowardice. It's extreme courage.

This is what I suggest for you: Go to a shady bar where shoplifting crackheads sell things like giant blocks of cheeze for $2. Eat a couple of kilograms of cheeze while drinking cheap beer. Then, practice tolerance by tolerating your actions by not puking. And if you don't puke, then you can step up to level 2 which is tolerating not shitting for a few days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #4193468 -

Hi, Mix!!!  :heart:

'Bout time you joined us here!  :grin:


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #4193502 -

Mixomatosis said:
Would the buddha hire a child molester to babysit his children? The answer of course, is yes.



The real answer is unknown.

Quote:
Actually no, it's not at all.



What takes more fortitude, listening to a woman get beat up by her 'man' in the street and tolerantly waiting for her cries to stop or stepping up to stop him?


--------------------
Respect my authority!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Adviapacis]
    #4193530 -

Adviapacis said:
Tolerance of peaceful behavior is one thing, tolerance of those who would harm others is in fact cowardice.



:thumbup:

Tolerance is good to the extent something is in fact tolerable through its ability to show the tolerance that it wishes to receive. We in the USA tolerate organizations like the KKK although they in fact don't tolerate much beyond their own ideological views. We could even go so far as to make many religions inclusive of this.


--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #4193541 -

Mixomatosis said:
Would the buddha hire a child molester to babysit his children? The answer of course, is yes.

tolerance of those who would harm others is in fact cowardice.

Actually no, it's not at all. It takes a lot of guts to rent the room upstairs to a known axe murderer. Tolerating a rattlesnake in your bed at night is the opposite of cowardice. It's extreme courage.




Sorry, but that is insane thinking.  If you want to rent a room to an axe murderer, go ahead.  But sleep lightly.  :grin:

But if you get married and have children, it's not going to be guts that keep you in possession of your tenant.  The courts (after your wife files an action to take your children out of your possession) will disagree with your philosophy.


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Adviapacis]
    #4193545 -

Well if you could easily beat the crap out of her man, it wouldn't take much fortitude. The real courage would be in listening to the suffering you could easily prevent and take on the karmic load and sleepless nights of guilt those moments of voluntary impotence would bring.

But seriously, tolerance doesn't mean letting people sell crack to babies and rape your little sister. I suggest you recalibrate your vocabulary or maybe your understanding of the principle in question.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #4193575 -

Mixomatosis said:
Well if you could easily beat the crap out of her man, it wouldn't take much fortitude.



how do you know it wouldn't take much fortitude?  Do you already have someone in mind???  :grin:

Quote:
The real courage would be in listening to the suffering you could easily prevent and take on the karmic load and sleepless nights of guilt those moments of voluntary impotence would bring.

But seriously, tolerance doesn't mean letting people sell crack to babies and rape your little sister. I suggest you recalibrate your vocabulary or maybe your understanding of the principle in question.



I don't understand where Ad showed a poor vocabulary or lack of an understanding of a principle.  What principle is being shown?


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #4193645 -

Mixomatosis said:
Well if you could easily beat the crap out of her man, it wouldn't take much fortitude.



And what if you couldn't?

Quote:
I suggest you recalibrate your vocabulary or maybe your understanding of the principle in question.



I take any suggestions that are offered in sincerity and that are cogently formulated quite seriously. I have rejected your suggestion.


--------------------
Respect my authority!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #4194288 -

Would the buddha hire a child molester to babysit his children? The answer of course, is yes.

Nice, very nice.

There's the story of Angulimala, contained in the Pali Suttas. Angulimala was a serial killer, with the habit of collecting fingers from his victims. He used to wear a garland made of these fingers. The Buddha approached him and managed to convert him to his teaching. Angulimala became a monk. He had a difficult time collecting food in the village, because people would attack and beat him, knowing his past.

The Pali relates one further incident which I always thought was quite amazing.

"Then venerable Angulimala putting on robes in the morning and taking bowl and robes entered Savatthi for alms. When going the alms round in Savatthi in due order, seeing a certain woman with the pains of childbirth, it occurred to him: 'Indeed beings are defiled'. Then, after the alms round and after the meal was over, venerable Angulimala approached the Blessed One, worshipped him, sat on one side, and said to the Blessed One: ?Venerable sir, when I was going for alms in due order, I saw a certain woman suffering from the pains of childbirth and it occurred to me: Indeed beings are defiled.?

?Then Angulimala, go to Savatthi, approach that woman and tell her: Sister, since my birth I have not destroyed a living thing knowingly, by that truth may you be well and may the one to be born be well.?

?Venerable sir, won?t it be a lie told with awareness, since I have destroyed many living things with awareness.?

'Then, Angulimala, go to Savatthi and approach that woman and tell her: Sister, since I was born in the noble birth I have not destroyed a living thing knowingly, by that truth may you be well and may the one to be born be well.'"


The expression "noble birth" refers to becoming a monk. The Buddha advises Angulimala to reflect on his virtue, not having killed any living being after joining the order. But why did the Buddha refer to "birth" previously?

The only possible interpretation seems to be that the Buddha had simply forgotten that Angulimala was a former serial killer. It was so utterly unimportant to him that he didn't even bother to remember.

Reflection on that incident sends waves of rapture up and down my spine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Nomad]
    #4194304 -

He explained to Angulimala that he was not born nor was he knowingly until he met the Buddha...


--------------------
The argent messenger of truth beyond truth, the antithesis of life, cruel and bleak as interstellar space, pulseless and frozen as absolute zero, dazzling with the frost of irrefragable logic and unforgettable fact.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4194400 -

Huehuecoyotl said:
I see tolerance promoted here a lot. Is tolerance really a good thing? On the show "South Park" tolerance was described as putting up with something that totally pisses you off. Recently I have been told that I should tolerate people who sexually molest children. My vocal intolerance of this idea was hailed as uncool and unenlightened. I think too much tolerance for the wrong things can be a very bad thing.



The way i see it, tolerance is acknowledging that the more obvious victim is the person who is hated or treated badly. And the less obvious victim is the person who hates or treats others badly. Both victims deserve our love. Both victims deserve our compassion. Our wisdom can help us find the way to free both the person who hates and the person who is hated from the shackles of hatred itself.  :heart:


--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Edited by egghead1 (05/19/05 07:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4194427 -

Huehuecoyotl said:
I see tolerance promoted here a lot. Is tolerance really a good thing? On the show "South Park" tolerance was described as putting up with something that totally pisses you off. Recently I have been told that I should tolerate people who sexually molest children. My vocal intolerance of this idea was hailed as uncool and unenlightened. I think too much tolerance for the wrong things can be a very bad thing.



I don't see a lot of tolerance being promoted around here.
What I see is a lot of people telling each other what to do:
believe in this, believe in that, think like this and think like that.. etc.


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4194463 -

A lot of tolerance makes me disgusted.

Even if it is in direct opposition to our survival on the individual and societal scale, we must still be "tolerant" of others.

Understanding anothers point of view on religion, culture, beliefs...etc, should be studied but for the sole purpose of using it to your own advantage. That doesn't seem to happen though. People in a society learn about muslims in Iran and all of a sudden become emotionally attached to their struggle, even if there struggle is the killing of themselves and others.


--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4194497 -

OldWoodSpecter said:
Huehuecoyotl said:
I see tolerance promoted here a lot. Is tolerance really a good thing? On the show "South Park" tolerance was described as putting up with something that totally pisses you off. Recently I have been told that I should tolerate people who sexually molest children. My vocal intolerance of this idea was hailed as uncool and unenlightened. I think too much tolerance for the wrong things can be a very bad thing.



I don't see a lot of tolerance being promoted around here.
What I see is a lot of people telling each other what to do:
believe in this, believe in that, think like this and think like that.. etc.



:shocked: You should'nt think like that!!!  :lol:  :grin: :heart:


--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4194509 -

Huehuecoyotl said:
I see tolerance promoted here a lot. Is tolerance really a good thing? On the show "South Park" tolerance was described as putting up with something that totally pisses you off. Recently I have been told that I should tolerate people who sexually molest children. My vocal intolerance of this idea was hailed as uncool and unenlightened. I think too much tolerance for the wrong things can be a very bad thing.



I grew up in the Christian faith. I left it because I felt that people did not really want to follow the teachings of Jesus.

One of the things that I liked but was rarely practiced was the saying "Hate the sin, and Love the sinner. Jesus said "he who is without sin cast the first stone" He also said before you tell your neighbor to remove the twig from his eye, remove the beam from yours.

I have NO tolerance for the act of molesting children. NONE!!!!!!.

I really didn't know much about the subject of Man/Boy love and jumped in late,just out of curiosity and wanting to see what the fuss was about.

I was there to defend no one. I also believe people are innocent until pruven guilty. I tried to remember that. The main point for me was that 18 years old is an arbitrary age for adulthood. I talked to my partner/girlfriend about this. She is a psychology major. She felt that no one could tell if someone was ready for sex at 14 or 18 or even 24. It depended on the person. Society should not legislate morality. She knows first hand about child abuse. BOTH OF US ABHOR CHILD ABUSE.

I was immediately attacked because I would not make a snap judgment on this. I am now a Pedophile because I refuse to hate people and advocate killing them.

One of my new ratings says. Die Pedophile, You are the scum of the earth.

I may not have made up my mind completely on this issue, but I have made up my mind about the people who sent me hate mail. But I will not hate them either. They are very angry and hurting in my opinion. They most likely have some good reasons for that. But I did not hurt them and do not want to.

I am very sad people have attacked me for trying to learn about an important issue. I feel there is very little tolerance for differences in some and wonderful amounts in others.

Hue just because I am not willing to kill someone I don't know, and do not know if they have committed any crime you choose to make me out to be a bad person. I don't care what you think. What anyone thinks of me is none of my business.

I would rather any issue be brought into the open where we can dissect it and if it's wrong I think that will be seen. I ended up mostly learning that people need to hate. That was unexpected here at the Shroomery. Ok now I know.

Once again I DO NOT CONDONE ABUSE OF CHILDREN. My partner and I have two children. The most important thing we want to teach them is not to hate and don't let people push you into things you don't believe.

I like what Jesus said about sin. I think I will follow that as my compass. :mushroom2:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: Icelander]
    #4194524 -

I am of the same opinion as you. You reflect my opinons on the suject almost perefctly. Jesus said alot of very cool stuff :cool: :heart:  :thumbup:

P.S as i said in another thread, im just very suprised that so many people did,nt recongnise or apply the profound teachings of the Star Wars Triolgy. Remember Hate is the path to the darkside Luke! :lol:  :heart:


--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tolerance [Re: egghead1]
    #4194936 -

I you got tolerance for all, all got tolerance for you...

ha ha tear that apart will ya?
you vultures.. j\k

"A person of a rapacious, predatory, or profiteering nature."


--------------------


--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Degrees of Molestation
( 1 2 all )
DiploidM 4,102 39 04/19/07 09:32 PM
by fireworks_god
* I am wholly unenlightened.
( 1 2 3 all )
deCypher 3,608 57 01/10/09 11:28 AM
by deCypher
* Tolerate Intolerance
( 1 2 3 all )
justAkid 2,469 42 08/28/07 09:57 AM
by BlueCoyote
* TOLERANCE
( 1 2 all )
thePatient 3,651 20 08/08/02 07:04 PM
by Mystical_Craven
* Tolerance and Intolerance vampirism 891 17 12/11/04 08:12 AM
by Alan Stone
* Should Tolerance be given... Psychoactive1984 956 19 04/21/05 09:49 PM
by Psychoactive1984
* Is Islam a tolerant religion?
( 1 2 all )
mirrorsaw 5,642 31 08/18/02 12:23 PM
by Anonymous
* Tolerance Adamist 640 4 01/27/02 06:34 PM
by optikal_trip

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
5,551 topic views. 1 members, 3 guests and 23 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.